ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Jeremy Lin Thread

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

Born_Ready
Veteran
And1: 476

Re: Jeremy Lin joins the Nets (3yrs/$36 million) 

Post#161 » by Born_Ready » Fri Jul 1, 2016 6:29 pm

Hard not to like this deal. You can definitely see a change in the brain trust right out the gate with getting good value on a PG that is solid, in addition to being marketable and may be able to lure in more FA's.

I wanted Conley out of what's availiable- but landing Lin is a good way to start the day. B+
OKC Thunder fan, too.
PG13
Starter
And1: 845

Post#162 » by PG13 » Fri Jul 1, 2016 6:48 pm

Prokorov wrote:I just dont get this move at alll.....

again why did we trade thad if we are just going to give his money to another bench player and ask him to start? Why not just keep jack for half of what Lin just got? why not bring in sergio rodrigues or augistin instead?

Lin is NOT a starter? look at the guys numbes. the hype doesnt match the actual on court production. he put up jarret jack numbers. he is jack with some defense.

im out on marks if he cant deliver Horford to save face.

His numbers as a starter are impressive. Took the Hornets to a W against LeBron's Cavs when Kemba Walker was out.
Ror1997
Analyst
And1: 911

Post#163 » by Ror1997 » Fri Jul 1, 2016 6:50 pm

Since hearing he has a meeting with the Nets, we haven't heard of any other team being interested in Rondo.

I know it early, but we heard even Humphries has a bunch of suitors. So maybe we were spot on about Rondo's character issues being too much to over look.
DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,593

Post#164 » by DarkXaero » Fri Jul 1, 2016 6:52 pm

I was ecstatic to find out about this deal this morning. Many things to like it about it. Maybe most of all, it's that we dodge a bullet by not signing Rondo to a bigger, multi-year deal. Also given how this FA has been so far, $12mill/yr for Lin is a steal. Arguably the second or third best PG available in FA and we managed to get him for relatively cheap money compared to other contracts being given out this summer. Over the past few years, he has played well as a starter, let's hope that he steps up as a starter here. We should get a strong backup for PG though.

And now still plenty of cap space to work with, let's get a wing and PF in, then work on filling out roster depth.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 38,537

Post#165 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Jul 1, 2016 6:57 pm

Ror1997 wrote:Since hearing he has a meeting with the Nets, we haven't heard of any other team being interested in Rondo.

I know it early, but we heard even Humphries has a bunch of suitors. So maybe we were spot on about Rondo's character issues being too much to over look.

He got kicked of of a team. That's as bad as it gets.

Also, someone brought up the fact that while he is supposedly a great team mate, the guy is notorious for not getting along with coaches. Only an ass commits 18-20 mil to a guy who is uncoachable when we're bringing in a rookie head coach.

I'm glad we can put this discussion to rest. Nets got a guy that will play on both ends, compete, play hard, will do what he's asked, will be great in the community, and will buy into the team first culture. After what we went through with that unprofessional and classless thief named Deron Williams, I'm glad the Nets are staying away from the nutjobs.

Yormark probably already has had his lackeys submit the slogan "Brook-Lin" to the trademarking office :crazy:
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 38,537

Post#166 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Jul 1, 2016 6:58 pm

DarkXaero wrote:I was ecstatic to find out about this deal this morning. Many things to like it about it. Maybe most of all, it's that we dodge a bullet by not signing Rondo to a bigger, multi-year deal. Also given how this FA has been so far, $12mill/yr for Lin is a steal. Arguably the second or third best PG available in FA and we managed to get him for relatively cheap money compared to other contracts being given out this summer. Over the past few years, he has played well as a starter, let's hope that he steps up as a starter here. We should get a strong backup for PG though.

And now still plenty of cap space to work with, let's get a wing and PF in, then work on filling out roster depth.

3rd best PG on the market on a great deal considering what has been handed out, and leaves us with plenty of room left to work.

I agree, but the back ups are getting snatched up pretty quickly.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
JimmerAllStar
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,744

Post#167 » by JimmerAllStar » Fri Jul 1, 2016 7:02 pm

spaceballer wrote:
JimmerAllStar wrote:I rather not have Lin start. The NBA is a long season, and Lin doesn't have a Westbrook body to play at peak levels for all 82 games. Not only do you have to run the offense, but you have to defend the other team's star PG, who really can't be stopped - Wall, Curry, Westbrook, Lillard, Irving, Lowry, etc.

Have Lin come off the bench, and have him start when the starting PG is injured. The role he played in Charlotte was perfect.

He started all 82 games his first year in Houston. I believe Lin and Asik were the only two players on the entire Rockets roster who did that. So he's proven that he can be a durable guy who can handle starters minutes for a full season.

If you looked at his Charlotte stats, he actually played significantly better when he started for the Hornets than when he came off the bench for the Hornets. So the role off the bench in Charlotte actually wasn't ideal for him based on the start/bench splits. He did well in his role, but he performed much better as a starter for the Hornets last season (and gave them a better win/loss record percentage), compared to the games where he came off the bench for the team.

Maybe he performed better as a starter because he had more energy and endurance from the rest he had while coming off the bench? Nothing is black and white. Results are never this or that. There's always an equilibrium or a max point. Just like you don't get more scoring by adding another superstar when you already have 3 of them. There's only one basketball.

Also there's a lot of wear-n-tear incurred when playing 82+ games. Lin can extend his career by coming off the bench.
spaceballer
Head Coach
And1: 2,707

Post#168 » by spaceballer » Fri Jul 1, 2016 7:11 pm

JimmerAllStar wrote:
spaceballer wrote:
JimmerAllStar wrote:I rather not have Lin start. The NBA is a long season, and Lin doesn't have a Westbrook body to play at peak levels for all 82 games. Not only do you have to run the offense, but you have to defend the other team's star PG, who really can't be stopped - Wall, Curry, Westbrook, Lillard, Irving, Lowry, etc.

Have Lin come off the bench, and have him start when the starting PG is injured. The role he played in Charlotte was perfect.

He started all 82 games his first year in Houston. I believe Lin and Asik were the only two players on the entire Rockets roster who did that. So he's proven that he can be a durable guy who can handle starters minutes for a full season.

If you looked at his Charlotte stats, he actually played significantly better when he started for the Hornets than when he came off the bench for the Hornets. So the role off the bench in Charlotte actually wasn't ideal for him based on the start/bench splits. He did well in his role, but he performed much better as a starter for the Hornets last season (and gave them a better win/loss record percentage), compared to the games where he came off the bench for the team.

Maybe he performed better as a starter because he had more energy and endurance from the rest he had while coming off the bench?

Nothing is black and white. There's a lot of wear-n-tear incurred when playing 82+ games. Lin can extend his career by coming off the bench.

That doesn't make sense. If it was a matter of having more energy and endurance from the rest while coming off the bench, then shouldn't he perform better in the games where he came off the bench for the Hornets (and got more rest) than in the games where he started for the Hornets (and got less rest)?

But it's the opposite. His FG% and 3pt% both went up when he was a Hornets starter (started 13 games for the Hornets, 12 as SG and 1 as PG), compared to when he was a Hornets bench player. I mention that the Hornets also had a better win ratio during those games where Lin started, compared to the ones where he didn't, only to show that it's not like he was stat-padding.

His shooting splits would argue for the case that he's a rhythm player who plays better as a starter, and not as a sixth man. Because the more playing time and usage he gets, the better his shooting becomes as he gets into rhythm, as we saw last season by comparing his stats when starting for the Hornets vs. coming off the bench for the Hornets.

And in the sole game where he was Starting PG, he also managed to raise his assists to a respectable level.

We know that he can go through the wear and tear of 82 games a season as a starter and perform at a high level, because he's already done so in his first year as a Rocket when he helped them return to the playoffs from the lottery.
Roy Tarpley
Veteran
And1: 987

Post#169 » by Roy Tarpley » Fri Jul 1, 2016 7:23 pm

Kyle Lowry had "bench player" numbers for 4 years before he got a chance to start, and then even as a starter, he had "bench player" numbers for three years before busting out at age 27. Even today, his numbers aren't all that great except that he shoots a lot.

Dragic, similarly, had "bench player" stats until he got a chance to start at age 26-27.

Lin has had a unique path, getting a chance to start early on but getting derailed in LA. But now, he's exactly where he needs to be. Marks/Atkinson understand this. Great move. Can't wait to see what the full team looks like so we can start predicting season win totals.

Lin should average 15/6.5 on the low end and 18/8 on the high end, depending on Atkinson's style and the other teammates (if Lin is the #2 option, I see him scoring more, if he's the #3 option, he'll score less).
KM6
Junior
And1: 122

Post#170 » by KM6 » Fri Jul 1, 2016 7:29 pm

JimmerAllStar wrote:
spaceballer wrote:

Maybe he performed better as a starter because he had more energy and endurance from the rest he had while coming off the bench? Nothing is black and white. Results are never this or that. There's always an equilibrium or a max point. Just like you don't get more scoring by adding another superstar when you already have 3 of them. There's only one basketball.

Lin is not a hornets anymore, don't try to make hate posts here on Nets forum. Go up vote your own posts somewhere else.
Palmeirense
General Manager
And1: 1,125

Post#171 » by Palmeirense » Fri Jul 1, 2016 7:33 pm

Evan Turner getting an absurd contract and guys are complaining about the Lin signing?

Props to Jeff1624 for the sig
bws94
Head Coach
And1: 1,222

Post#172 » by bws94 » Fri Jul 1, 2016 7:37 pm

It's a start, Lin can play and plays to win. Can deal with the NY media and environment, not all players can. Now, on to other signings and moving the team to be more competitive.

I'm an NY-based fan, Lin along with many other players through the years since Clyde Frazier's Knicks fan, basketball fan, fairly grounded fan and I don't think this is a good team. But, it's a new beginning.
jbeachboy
Assistant Coach
And1: 359

Post#173 » by jbeachboy » Fri Jul 1, 2016 7:51 pm

yeah ok, paying him 12 mil a year to come off bench, lol.
jbeachboy
Assistant Coach
And1: 359

Post#174 » by jbeachboy » Fri Jul 1, 2016 7:52 pm

lin and lopez pick and roll all day, !
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,185

Post#175 » by Keith Van Horn » Fri Jul 1, 2016 8:03 pm

Uhh Lin will be the starter here. I don't think there's any doubt to that. Yeah he met be good as a bench player but that's not the case anymore with him.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Ror1997
Analyst
And1: 911

Post#176 » by Ror1997 » Fri Jul 1, 2016 8:06 pm

I'm open to moving Lin to the bench if we can get our hands on a better PG down the line. But Lin starts the season as the starter baring injury, no doubt.
RealHusky
Junior
And1: 75

Post#177 » by RealHusky » Fri Jul 1, 2016 8:14 pm

Brooklyn got a steal with this contract. Lin signed for cheap, mainly due to Atkinson. Once again, he has a 3rd year player option, which means he is betting on himself again just like he did last year with the Hornets.

Here is a good article on some of the misconceptions about Jeremy Lin: https://freethemindsite.wordpress.com/2016/06/25/myth-about-jeremy-lin/

Lin gonna look awesome in Atkinson's system. I expect he will average 17 pts 7 assists per game with Brook as his big man. Nets should be fun to watch this upcoming season.
Original XBOX Retro Games - http://www.sprinkleboutique.com
Net Sentence
Veteran
And1: 334

Post#178 » by Net Sentence » Fri Jul 1, 2016 8:20 pm

It's hard to complain about this signing. The amount per year is reasonable as is the years. My biggest concern about signing Lin was the price it was going to cost. 12 mil looks very strong since it left us room for more players.
bws94
Head Coach

Post#179 » by bws94 » Fri Jul 1, 2016 8:26 pm

SelfishPlayer wrote:This was a great signing. Now his fans can watch him put up empty stats back where it all started.

That's not what I want as a fan. If Lin's stats don't go to winning, they're worthless for me. I like Lin on winning teams, and hopefully, this one will become one if not this upcoming season, the one that follows.
bws94
Head Coach

Post#180 » by bws94 » Fri Jul 1, 2016 8:27 pm

Mosdefinition wrote:So 2 years in a row of trying to make a career back up the a starting point guard

god the stupidity permeates through this organization

That's a fallacious statement. Lin has started about 47 percent of his NBA games. And when he played off the bench, often it was in the 6th man role and for Charlotte, closed a lot of their games last season. He can play. And helps win games as well.

Return to Brooklyn Nets