GT: Nets @ Blazers 1/17 10PM EST

Moderators: Rich Rane, NyCeEvO

Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 13,040

Re: GT: Nets @ Blazers 1/17 10PM EST 

Post#21 » by Hello Brooklyn » Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:02 pm

NetsJets wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:Its time to admit this team isn't as good as we though. Were a bottom 5 team.

Talent wise there is no reason we should be. But none of our players are performing to the level they are supposed to be.

I was told we need to sit Thomas to prioritize winning. And all weve done since then is remain garbage. The only thing we should be prioritizing anymore is player development.

I would have a fire sale right now if I'm the Nets.

Trade Royce, DFS, Claxton, maybe Bridges to the highest bidder. Get as many picks as you can right now.

Also try everything in your power to get off Simmons. Attach a pick if you have to.

This draft is garbage anyway. If we have to give away a top 5 pick to Houston so be it.

I wouldn't ever necessarily fire Vaughn. Let him play out the season and look for an Atkinson type in the off season.

Its going to be a long way to a rebuild. But the Bridges/Simons Nets are apparently as big of a failure as 7/11. Its time to move on. Enough is enough.

What’s killing us this year is that Bridges while he’s still good has regressed. Cam Johnson and Dinwiddie are flat out bad and on most teams would be backups. Last year Bridges looked like he was on an all star trajectory and Cam and Spencer gave us good/quality play. Everyone else has mostly stayed the same. We’ve seen improvement from Cam Thomas and Day’Ron Sharpe.

Bridges has taken a major step back. Dinwiddie has been horrible. Claxton has been bad. So has DFS. I actually think Cam J is the only one who has been ok.
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,601

Post#22 » by TheNetsFan » Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:19 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:
NetsJets wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:Its time to admit this team isn't as good as we though. Were a bottom 5 team.

Talent wise there is no reason we should be. But none of our players are performing to the level they are supposed to be.

I was told we need to sit Thomas to prioritize winning. And all weve done since then is remain garbage. The only thing we should be prioritizing anymore is player development.

Trade Royce, DFS, Claxton, maybe Bridges to the highest bidder. Get as many picks as you can right now.

Also try everything in your power to get off Simmons. Attach a pick if you have to.

This draft is garbage anyway. If we have to give away a top 5 pick to Houston so be it.

I wouldn't ever necessarily fire Vaughn. Let him play out the season and look for an Atkinson type in the off season.

Its going to be a long way to a rebuild. But the Bridges/Simons Nets are apparently as big of a failure as 7/11. Its time to move on. Enough is enough.

What’s killing us this year is that Bridges while he’s still good has regressed. Cam Johnson and Dinwiddie are flat out bad and on most teams would be backups. Last year Bridges looked like he was on an all star trajectory and Cam and Spencer gave us good/quality play. Everyone else has mostly stayed the same. We’ve seen improvement from Cam Thomas and Day’Ron Sharpe.

Bridges has taken a major step back. Dinwiddie has been horrible. Claxton has been bad. So has DFS. I actually think Cam J is the only one who has been ok.

For now, I'm still convinced that we're severely underachieving due to 2 fatal flaws: coaching & PG play/shot creation. This is a deeper version of the underachieving '15-'16 team. JV=Lionel Hollins & Dinwiddie=Jarret Jack. With league average coaching & PG play, this team is at least a .500 team. If we trade for Murray at the deadline, that should fix one issue. I doubt Vaughn gets fired until the offseason. The team is so far out of contention, that there's no reason to do it now. Just let him continue to soak up losses for the rest of the year. You're not hiring a worthwhile coach mid-season.
3pt_chucker
Head Coach
And1: 2,002

Post#23 » by 3pt_chucker » Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:17 pm

I said this after the KD trade, during the offseason, and the start of the season. With JV as coach, this team will massively underperform.

Any player who should have value will lose it because he was a KD merchant and needed a superstar to prop up his inept coaching.

Now we are here and everyone on the roster has lowered their trade value. Even Bridges looks like a shell of himself.

Sad part is, things are going to get worse because JV is Marks' friend and fall guy. He will remain coach for the rest of the season. Marks also won't make any trades to make the roster fit better. He won't sell Cam Johnson because he was part of the KD trade, etc etc.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,452

Post#24 » by vincecarter4pres » Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:00 pm

Stone wrote:We are now exactly 3 weeks from the February 8TH trade deadline.

Last 10 games we are 1 - 9

We are 16 -24 and in 11TH place in the division and at the moment out of the playoff picture.

So far this season we have lost 9 games that have been decided by 5 or less points.

Marks should be sharpening the ax and probably the pencil as well. The only rumor I see out the is Murrey for Spencer. Hopefully that is a smokescreen and something else happens.

I’d be super cool with that move though as long as it didn’t cost much asset-wise on top of the player for player swap.

Murray doesn’t get me all that excited and still doesn’t really solve too many issues, but he’s a good young player who can run an offense for periods and used to be a really good defender, on a reasonable contract.

Would definitely prefer a bigger splash, but again, it’s something like Murray for Dinwiddie and the Philly pick, I can dig it.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#25 » by vincecarter4pres » Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:15 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:
NetsJets wrote:

I don’t think Bridges has taken a major step back, I think he wasn’t nearly as good overall as he looked last year, and Vaughn isn’t using him correctly. He’s also not an on ball creation player, he needs to be off ball a majority of the time.

Bridges is a super deadly and efficient, low usage 20/5/3 guy with stellar defense on the right roster, or can be an above average number 2 alongside a high usage number one and a legit third option with them.

People were sold on thinking he was a real 26/5/5 guy in the making, who can continually initiate offense. Always thought that was crazy talk. Also thought we should have traded him for something like Scoot and a couple picks, or the Memphis offer, or rang OKC and seen what picks they would offer.

Unless we wind up with at least a Donny Mitchell, he doesn’t fit the timeline or makeup of the present or future.

Also, Claxton has not been bad at all, that’s complete hyperbole.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,381

Post#26 » by Papi_swav » Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:06 pm

yea it's official.. we're dookie
Eatgreenz
Senior
And1: 317

Post#27 » by Eatgreenz » Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:33 pm

I rather fire Vaughn now to see what Kevin Ollie can do. His won a championship with a under achieving Uconn team. His respected by players. I think he would be a quality coach. His resume is atleast 5x better than Vaughns
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,381

Post#28 » by Papi_swav » Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:31 pm

I don't like Vaughn anymore than you guys do, but we really just don't have the talent. Don't matter who's coaching us it won't make us a playoff team, even if it's coach Spo, we just don't have the personnel. We're a team full of role players, we're a mediocre team at best. We're not making our 3 pt shots and we live and die by the 3. It is what it is at this point, firing Vaughn might make us slightly better but we're not going to do a whole 180 and blow teams out.

We went for broke with the big 3 and now we have to pay for our sins. Our best bet is trading away some of our role players for picks and/or young players that we can build with.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 13,040

Post#29 » by Hello Brooklyn » Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:40 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:
NetsJets wrote:What’s killing us this year is that Bridges while he’s still good has regressed. Cam Johnson and Dinwiddie are flat out bad and on most teams would be backups. Last year Bridges looked like he was on an all star trajectory and Cam and Spencer gave us good/quality play. Everyone else has mostly stayed the same. We’ve seen improvement from Cam Thomas and Day’Ron Sharpe.

I don’t think Bridges has taken a major step back, I think he wasn’t nearly as good overall as he looked last year, and Vaughn isn’t using him correctly. He’s also not an on ball creation player, he needs to be off ball a majority of the time.

Bridges is a super deadly and efficient, low usage 20/5/3 guy with stellar defense on the right roster, or can be an above average number 2 alongside a high usage number one and a legit third option with them.

People were sold on thinking he was a real 26/5/5 guy in the making, who can continually initiate offense. Always thought that was crazy talk. Also thought we should have traded him for something like Scoot and a couple picks, or the Memphis offer, or rang OKC and seen what picks they would offer.

Unless we wind up with at least a Donny Mitchell, he doesn’t fit the timeline or makeup of the present or future.

He played at a much higher level last year. Its impossible to say he hasn't taken a step back.

Even if his level of play wasn't sustainable he shouldn't have gotten THIS much worse. Especially defensively.

Scoot was never on the table. Memphis offer looking back we obviously should have taken.

You seriously don't think Claxton has been bad? His numbers are worse than last year and our defense is horrific.

If Claxton can't make us at least a decent defense then what good is he?

Hes 24 and needs to take a big step forward if he wants to be a starting Center in this league.
Decipher
Rookie
And1: 995

Post#30 » by Decipher » Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:03 pm

Papi_swav wrote:yea it's official.. we're dookie

We passed through dookie a while ago and are on the road to lower dookie via express route
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#31 » by vincecarter4pres » Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:44 am

Decipher wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:yea it's official.. we're dookie

We passed through dookie a while ago and are on the road to lower dookie via express route

Dookie-a-fied.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#32 » by vincecarter4pres » Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:10 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:

He played at a much higher level last year. Its impossible to say he hasn't taken a step back.

Even if his level of play wasn't sustainable he shouldn't have gotten THIS much worse. Especially defensively.

Scoot was never on the table. Memphis offer looking back we obviously should have taken.

You seriously don't think Claxton has been bad? His numbers are worse than last year and our defense is horrific.

Hes 24 and needs to take a big step forward if he wants to be a starting Center in this league.

Scoot was most certainly available for Bridges. It was the most widely reported rumor out there leading up to the draft.

Clax is absolutely not the driving force behind our bad defense.

Just because he isn’t Gobert, or prime Camby, does not make him a bad player. He already is a starting center in this league, top half.
Karate Diop
General Manager
And1: 9,917

Post#33 » by Karate Diop » Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:46 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:I don’t think Bridges has taken a major step back, I think he wasn’t nearly as good overall as he looked last year, and Vaughn isn’t using him correctly. He’s also not an on ball creation player, he needs to be off ball a majority of the time.

Scoot was most certainly available for Bridges. It was the most widely reported rumor out there leading up to the draft.

Just because he isn’t Gobert, or prime Camby, does not make him a bad player. He already is a starting center in this league, top half.

Put some respek on Clax bro. Prime Camby was as overrated as they came.
Dangun
Pro Prospect
And1: 265

Post#34 » by Dangun » Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:17 am

ArksNetsSince99 wrote:
Dangun wrote:Tonight is the new beginning of that W streak

What W streak ?

There was an error on my seer mode.. i can assure you tonight is the day of that new beginning i have foreseen !
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 19,050

Post#35 » by DusterBuster » Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:37 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:I don’t think Bridges has taken a major step back, I think he wasn’t nearly as good overall as he looked last year, and Vaughn isn’t using him correctly. He’s also not an on ball creation player, he needs to be off ball a majority of the time.

I can confirm from everything we heard here, the Blazers were ready to sell the farm for Bridges last summer. He was a key player Dame wanted to convince him to stay and they would have given up the #3 along with likely Simons and maybe even another pick or two. From what we’re heard locally, the Nets wouldn’t even take the call.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#36 » by vincecarter4pres » Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:58 pm

DusterBuster wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:

I can confirm from everything we heard here, the Blazers were ready to sell the farm for Bridges last summer. He was a key player Dame wanted to convince him to stay and they would have given up the #3 along with likely Simons and maybe even another pick or two. From what we’re heard locally, the Nets wouldn’t even take the call.

Mainly same stuff we were hearing here as well.

Some reports said Blazers wouldn’t include any additional picks, it was the #3 and Simons for him, but that the Nets weren’t interested anyway.

Sometimes I think their plan all along has been Mitchell and that’s why they went after O’Neale to begin with, plus he fit with the lineup at the time. So that also means they have no desire to trade Bridges at this time unless the offer was mind blowing.

Not sure if I agree with this plan, also don’t know if I disagree.

Me thinks their hope is that Mitchell forces his way here by the summer while they keep at least 2 of the 4 unprotected PHO/DAL picks and the swap. They keep Bridges and Clax, or get Allen back in the trade, keep the cap clean and try and land a Big 3 in the following years through free agency or the remaining picks and salary filler.
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,601

Post#37 » by TheNetsFan » Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:29 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:Scoot was most certainly available for Bridges. It was the most widely reported rumor out there leading up to the draft.

Some reports said Blazers wouldn’t include any additional picks, it was the #3 and Simons for him, but that the Nets weren’t interested anyway.

Sometimes I think their plan all along has been Mitchell and that’s why they went after O’Neale to begin with, plus he fit with the lineup at the time. So that also means they have no desire to trade Bridges at this time unless the offer was mind blowing.

Me thinks their hope is that Mitchell forces his way here by the summer while they keep at least 2 of the 4 unprotected PHO/DAL picks and the swap. They keep Bridges and Clax, or get Allen back in the trade, keep the cap clean and try and land a Big 3 in the following years through free agency or the remaining picks and salary filler.

Sorry, but I'm calling BS on that. Portland never made an offer like that. Portland operated all along like they wanted to move on from Dame and rebuild.

Yes, I believe Mitchell is the target. We'll see how committed he is to playing in NYC. If he extends, he loses all leverage and likely stays. If he doesn't, then he tanks his trade value and becomes more attainable.
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 19,050

Post#38 » by DusterBuster » Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:18 pm

TheNetsFan wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:

Sorry, but I'm calling BS on that. Portland never made an offer like that. Portland operated all along like they wanted to move on from Dame and rebuild.

Yes, I believe Mitchell is the target. We'll see how committed he is to playing in NYC. If he extends, he loses all leverage and likely stays. If he doesn't, then he tanks his trade value and becomes more attainable.

Call BS all you want, just telling you was we heard locally from inside sources in Portland. No way for any of us to say how “BS” it was, don’t shoot the messenger.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll

Return to Brooklyn Nets