Random Thoughts Thread III

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Re: Random Thoughts Thread III 

Post#1121 » by NyCeEvO » Sat Dec 8, 2012 4:21 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:So when's your first piece for Engadget?

You mean The Verge? 8-)
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets

Post#1122 » by NyCeEvO » Sat Dec 8, 2012 5:52 pm

JaFail McGee, the gift that keeps on giving.
Lead Assistant
And1: 277

Post#1123 » by 624 » Sat Dec 8, 2012 7:02 pm

^ trying to be Blatche on the break
jerseyjac
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34

Post#1124 » by jerseyjac » Sat Dec 8, 2012 9:17 pm

NyCeEvO wrote:Oyy...all good phones.

I must admit that I was tempted to go with WP8 when I was searching for a phone, but when I got a hold of Jellybean with Project Butter, Android won me back over.

How would I rank the phones you listed? (Keep in mind, these are all top phones so there isn't really a bad choice.)

1) GS3
2) Note II
3) Razr Maxx HD
4) HTC DNA

Didn't include HTC 8X cuz I haven't played with WP8. From what I hear though, if you already like WP, then you're going to love that phone.

1a) Razr Maxx HD
Best battery life on the market. If you need battery life and don't really care about Motoblur that much, get this phone. 3300mAh with a great size of 4.7". My biggest minus is the non-removable battery, but it's not that big of a minus.

1b) GS3

It's kinda the jack of all trades for me. It has pretty good battery life, pretty good screen, good size, good camera, good everything. It's also rocking a 2100 mAh REMOVABLE battery. I'd give all of those fields an 8.5-9 and therefore the phone is like an 8.6-8.8 overall to me. (I'm about to root & flash stock Android on this cuz I just got tired of TouchWiz.)

2) Note II
It's obviously very similar to the GS3, but it's battery is massive 3100mAh (although it needs to be for its huge screen), custom apps built for its phablet like size, good screen and solid in every other department. The only reason why this isn't #1 is because it's just TOO big for me.

I played around with it and really tried to get myself to like it cuz I wanted to have 1 phablet rather than a phone and tablet, but one of my friends made a good point. The Note 2 isn't a tablet, it's a great phone that's big enough to have some tablet like features. But if you want a true tablet, you just need to get one.

Therefore, I do like it, but I think the size is too big. Heck, I had an EVO and everyone was saying my phone was too big when it came out. All of the phones out now make my EVO look like a dwarf.

3) HTC DNA
It has an awesome 1080p screen with ridiculous pixel density. The only problem that the pixel density is so ridic that it drains the battery quite considerably lol. And the fact that HTC put a 2020 mAh non-removable in a phone this big is not cool. They should've at least went 2500mAh, if they're going to make it non-removable. The GNote 2 is 3100mAh and is removable. I think HTC messed up here.

Also, Sense 4.x currently has problems with performing basic functions in Google Now, which is becoming increasingly important for me.

Sense itself is a problem for me and the fact that it's actually messing up important Google functions is not cool, so while I think the screen is a huge plus, it actually ends up being a minus too because it sucks down the battery life.

(BTW, at first I thought having the persistent search bar on the Nexus was dumb. Now, I absolutely wished that my GS3 was more Nexus like cuz I use it every day. If you don't know what Google Now is or how it works, get on that!!!!

Also, Voice-to-Text is simply absurd on JB. It's really good and it's really fast. I'm surprised it's not a bigger selling point for Android cuz it's so awesome.
)

Awsome break down, obviously keeping those points in mind, it depends on the user...
(and if you're rolling w/ Verizon :wink: )

First round:

I gave the Razr Maxx HD a bye...I really liked the phone, battery and display...

I then faced up Samsung and HTC's phones against each:

First with the Samsung phones, they are obviously great phones with an excellent camera...However the Note II is gigantic definitely a phablet...its really difficult to fit this thing in your pocket and I really wanted a phone that felt great in my hand (and my hands are not small)...so GS3 went to the second round easily...

Moving onto HTC, I really loved the idea of a Windows phone and the 8X...really user friendly, great phone display, nice camera (Nokia 920/AT&T is better camera, though heavier & bigger than 8x, but its cheaper and has more storage than the 8x those who are not under contract)...When you compare it to the DNA, sorry the first 1080p android phone wins in a landslide...the 5 inch display which basically touch the phone's borders, it being super light feeling great in your hand pretty much did it for me (though the 8x had a really nice feel)...when I found out that Google's Navi would not be offered, the 8X lost easily...I talked to the rep @ Verizon and they are hoping to cut a deal w/ Google to offer it as an App for all Windows phones in near future, but this is not definite...hoping they do so, looking to buy my wife a Windows phone in the next couple of months...

2nd Rnd:

Again really loving the Razr Maxx HD, I gave it a bye w/ serious battery power and mini SD and HDMI slots (coming from the Thunderbolt, battery was atrocious)

SG3 vs DNA:

Not easy loved both phones...SG3's has options which have not lived up to the hype though they have updated software which is supposed to take care of the S Voice and Touchwiz issues bothersome to the avg. user...the DNA is coming w/ the Quad-core processor, Android 4.1 Jellybean and the 1080p out of the box which really took the cake w/ the dislplay...after researching I played w/ all the phones for 2hrs weighing the pros and cons...the 5inch 1080p quad core was hard to turned down, not too mention a sick 8mp camera, front facing 2mp display for Skype is insane, the best I've seen...DNA wins

Motorola Razr Maxx HD vs HTC DNA:

With the DNA coming w/ the ridiculous display and quad-core it really came down to what I needed...I used at most 8-9gb on the Thunderbolt so I realized that space necessary on the internal was more than adequate on the DNA (I don't really download music nor do I store huge amount of photos...what I don't get here is that you can always carry a huge selection by freeing up space, but I guess people want to carry everything they have on their phones...) phones are supposed to continue to go away from SD cards taking advantage of a "cloud" service which I am all about...I have had the mini SD cards fail or become damaged before...sky drive or google drive are really easy to use...

When it came to battery life, though the Razr wins out, I rarely use my phone, my personal cell is truly a toy...Razr felt really heavy and the camera is definitely sub-par to all of the aforementioned.

The HTC DNA aka the J Buttefly was a perfect fit for me on top of being kind of ahead of the curve...awsome camera, sick display, BeatsAudio and the list goes on... I have to admit it was difficult to pass up...I also found there is a HDMI adapter, fits into the micro USB slot...bottom line, I'm ready to deal w/ the bugs of a new model...

I really liked the SG3, but we all know what this phone was built for...I definitely like the design better on the HTC and find the DNA to be sleeker and meaner and better quality on top of feeling lighter...if you are worried about the battery, people are saying they are getting around 12hrs of battery life w/ avg. use to slightly above...for those who use their phone like a PC and multitask w/work you definitely may have to consider more space/different phone or carrying around less...

In the end, I am more than ecstatic with what HTC brought to the plate even though I had a love hate relationship w/ the Thunderbolt...With all the recent HTC smartphones in between the first 4G smartphone and Samsung pushing the bar, the DNA will hit a home run for almost all who use Verizon Wireless...There is a huge market for those who don't really use 16gb or those who don't need 32gb...especially those consumers w/ work smartphones, tablets and or notebooks...if not, SG3, Note II and Maxx HD are all excellent options...
jerseyjac
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34

Post#1125 » by jerseyjac » Sat Dec 8, 2012 9:24 pm

624 wrote:^ trying to be Blatche on the break

:rofl:
Lead Assistant
And1: 277

Post#1126 » by 624 » Sun Dec 9, 2012 5:26 am

anyone see Jamie Foxx's monologue on SNL tonight? He talks about the Nets in the beginning.

was also wearing a Hello Brooklyn shirt in one of his photos
HelloBrooklyn
Rookie
And1: 68

Post#1127 » by HelloBrooklyn » Sun Dec 9, 2012 8:53 pm

NyCeEvO wrote:Image
JaFail McGee, the gift that keeps on giving.

:lol: That **** is hilarious
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#1128 » by Paradise » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:14 am

Lmao McGee had another fail tonight vs the Knicks.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets

Post#1129 » by NyCeEvO » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:36 pm

He got his swag turn'd up!:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZAQSSxrlMM[/youtube]
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#1130 » by vincecarter4pres » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:27 pm

Does anyone have one of those indoor mini RC helicopters?
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
PetroNet
Banned User
And1: 136

Post#1131 » by PetroNet » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:32 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:Does anyone have one of those indoor mini RC helicopters?

i do.......?
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#1132 » by vincecarter4pres » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:38 pm

PetroNet wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:Does anyone have one of those indoor mini RC helicopters?

i do.......?

Which model and would you recommend it?
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
PetroNet
Banned User

Post#1133 » by PetroNet » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:47 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:
PetroNet wrote:

i do.......?

Which model and would you recommend it?

I have this model:

http://www.hobbytron.com/GYROHerculesUn ... 4AodVRsAqQ

I would certainly reccomend it. I ended up buying it as i was sitting on the bench in the mall waiting for my wife to finish shopping. i watched the guy from the store crash it about 175 times during that span. and each and every time he would retrieve it, unscathed, and it would keep on going.

i've been a long time fan of RC cars and plains, but they always seemed to break and i spent too much time repairing and not enough time driving and i never really got into it too much because of that. so i picked one up for me and another for my nephew. the controls are quick and easy to get the hang of it within 10 minutes. the range is decent... we've flown it inside a big gymnasium and able to get pretty much across a high school basketball court before it starts to flutter.

ive crashed it a billion times, and only had to fix one of the propellers once... the kit came with plenty of spare parts and the reassembly was easy.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#1134 » by vincecarter4pres » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:58 pm

Ha wow, you ask you shall receive lol.

That was one of the ones I was mainly looking at. Was going to get one for someone as a gift and one for myself.

It's that one or the Syma 107G.

Syma's a lot cheaper and also highly rated, not sure though.
PetroNet
Banned User

Post#1135 » by PetroNet » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:01 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:Ha wow, you ask you shall receive lol.

That was one of the ones I was mainly looking at. Was going to get one for someone as a gift and one for myself.

It's that one or the Syma 107G.

Syma's a lot cheaper and also highly rated, not sure though.

i cant really speak on other models, but this one is defintly durable as advertized
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#1136 » by vincecarter4pres » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:10 pm

Thanks though, that helps a lot. They have the same one at BB right now for $50 plus tax and so I won't have to pay shipping or whatever the weird processing fee is on that site. Still a cool site though, a lot of stuff.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#1137 » by Paradise » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:50 pm

Has anybody else here suffered from "my wife/girlfriend can never be wrong" syndrome? I feel like my manhood is disappearing by the hour...
AntwanBoldin
Sixth Man
And1: 70

Post#1138 » by AntwanBoldin » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:23 am

Teletovic looking better and better
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#1139 » by vincecarter4pres » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:26 am

Damn I was hoping it was another comment on RC choppers haha.

BTW, Petro, do you fly yours outside as well?
netsfaninnyc
Junior
And1: 1

Post#1140 » by netsfaninnyc » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:26 am

man I wish we somehow drafted draymond green, was thinking about this in the summer but now its clear he's a good utility/glue guy at the sf spot where we need help

Return to Brooklyn Nets