ImageImageImageImageImage

Random Thoughts Thread III

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,177

Re: Random Thoughts Thread III 

Post#1141 » by Keith Van Horn » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:36 pm

I can't believe the news about the school shooting in Newtown, CT. I have kids at the school I teach at come from Newtown since it's only 10 minutes away. What an awful thing to have to hear about... my prayers go out to all of the families effected by this. Totally in shock right now.... I can't even focus on teaching my last class. :(
Lead Assistant
And1: 277

Post#1142 » by 624 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:38 pm

I live 20 minutes from there. **** up
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant

Post#1143 » by Keith Van Horn » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:39 pm

624 wrote:I live 20 minutes from there. **** up

Where in CT are you? I work in Fairfield.
Lead Assistant
And1: 277

Post#1144 » by 624 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:53 pm

macgyver893 wrote:

Woodbury

I have some friends who went to Fairfield-Warde
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant

Post#1145 » by Keith Van Horn » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:57 pm

624 wrote:
macgyver893 wrote:

Woodbury

I have some friends who went to Fairfield-Warde

yeah wow you're even closer than me. I can't believe 18 kids killed, 27 in all... defenseless 6 year olds. There is going to be some serious fallout from this.
JMaine518
Starter
And1: 156

Post#1146 » by JMaine518 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:33 pm

Terrible news. My condolences go out to these families. WOW!
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#1147 » by vincecarter4pres » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:16 pm

Just **** awful. :nonono:
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,095

Post#1148 » by therealbig3 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:20 pm

Whoa, the shooter also apparently killed his own mother, who was a kindergarten teacher at the school. In fact, based on what I read, he targeted her classroom.

Sick.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#1149 » by vincecarter4pres » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:30 pm

Lot of reports right now that he also killed his father and brother before going to the school, and that another brother of his(I guess) was arrested in Hoboken and his girlfriend has either been arrested or is wanted?

Man this is **** up.

You hear these things and they're tragic, but some people are just crazy and crazy **** also happens to them to spark stuff, but these were **** ing young children, **** ing kindergarteners. He sat there mowing down a whole classroom. **** man. Really $hitty.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,823

Post#1150 » by Rich Rane » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:10 pm

I can't believe this entire thing. Every bit of news that comes from it makes it worse.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#1151 » by vincecarter4pres » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:13 pm

I can't watch it anymore. I switched on Futurama and blankly stared at the screen while I shoveled some food into my mouth. I'd prefer to wait until at least later tonight when a lot of facts start lining up and there's a clearer picture.

So god damn awful though.

I mean how can you just gun down all those little kids?

Even most of the most ruthless serial killers wouldn't find joy in that.
jeff1624
RealGM
And1: 1,068

Post#1152 » by jeff1624 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:25 pm

As the guardian of a 3 year old... I can't watch the news right now. I can't even fathom the idea of someone killing kids so willingly.
Dat Leadership
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#1153 » by Paradise » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:52 pm

This is the 3rd mass shooting this month. At what point does the Government start reconsidering Gun Control? He had a juvenile record and was a troubled youth and yet somehow he ends up with that type of weaponry.

It's real sad and tragic. I'm real tired of having to see Obama (I'm a supporter) have a press conference for these type of shootings while a week later, it's swept under the rug and nobody addresses taking a hard look at gun control. Even, if it's gradually done.

He was in his 20s, I can't understand how you can be so young and so mentally sick to kill innocent kids. He selected who to shoot and that's what's truly sickening considering he didn't touch his brother.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#1154 » by vincecarter4pres » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:12 pm

It's a lot deeper then gun control. They need to take a deep look into society and the way this country deals with people as a whole and on a case to case basis, including mental health, crime and the way people are labeled and then handled.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#1155 » by Paradise » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:20 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:It's a lot deeper then gun control. They need to take a deep look into society and the way this country deals with people as a whole and on a case to case basis, including mental health, crime and the way people are labeled and then handled.

Sadly, It's deeper than that. People like this who become this mentally sick in the head start from the household and society as a whole.

Bullying creates death, bullying can be erased if you teach your kids how to treat someone. Half of bullies come from a home where they encourage some sort of violence or abuse that translates into these kids with issues. Then, you have the other side that are molested or grown up through drugs or drunks and gang violence.

My neighbor's daughter was a very responsible young girl at 10 and 11. She's 16 and threatened her mother that she will get my entire area to slice her face off if she ever disciplined her again. She became that way soon as she started hanging around gang banging girls and her newfound boyfriend.

She wants to be on her own at 16 and be a ward of the state, so her mother can't control her or tell her what to do. She doesn't even go to school.

This is the cycle that creates these sort of people in society and it's a damn shame. It's going to take alot alot of self reflecting through adults, parents and the world to fix it and I don't see that being something people want to do.
PetroNet
Banned User
And1: 136

Post#1156 » by PetroNet » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:21 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:It's a lot deeper then gun control. They need to take a deep look into society and the way this country deals with people as a whole and on a case to case basis, including mental health, crime and the way people are labeled and then handled.

Agree 100%. Gun control laws definitly need to get stricter and be addressed, but that doesn't have much to do with these shootings, and blaming these kinds of shootings on gun control really pushes the real issues to the back burner and doesnt solve the underlying cause.

If Guns were banned in this country this kid would have found another way to cause terror upon that school. Stabbings, Set a fire or set off a bomb, or heck, even just obtain a gun illegally. Sure, less people probably die if no gun is invovled, but does it really make it less tragic if the death toll is less? the whole point is to not have an attack at all, right?

Mental healthcare is a complete joke in this country. the only solutions we have are over medicating(drug companies love this) or finding a spot where they 'arent in the way'. Most of the better places to get help and best methods arent even covered by health insurance in alot of states.

Gun control and mass killings are both real issues. but they shouldnt be linked together.
Ronito
Lead Assistant
And1: 101

Post#1157 » by Ronito » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:20 am

Got the under in this Nuggets/Grizzlies game -- large. But it appears the refs have the over and so does Chris Mullin.
REGG-G-UNIT
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#1158 » by REGG-G-UNIT » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:50 am

The majority of people who own guns never end up using them to defend themselves.

I'd love for the purchase of firearms to be outlawed but, all I really ask for when it comes to gun control is common sense.

- There is no reason a civilian should be able to purchase easily modifiable assault rifles.
- The magazine sizes of guns available for purchase by civilians should be limited.
- There should be ACTUAL / TRUE (not the bull ones that are in place now) background checks and licensing procedures for those who wish to obtain / carry a gun.

Some of you are right in that gun control alone won't stop these tragedies from occurring but at the very least it's an easy step in the right direction.
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant

Post#1159 » by Keith Van Horn » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:44 pm

Just finished episode 5 of The Walking Dead game on PS3. Definitely a sad ending.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#1160 » by vincecarter4pres » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:45 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8g1jJT5OxE[/youtube]

Return to Brooklyn Nets