ImageImageImageImageImage

Official D-Will and JJ Thread

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

SpeedyG
RealGM
And1: 1,310

Re: Official "Brooklyn's Backcourt" Thread 

Post#121 » by SpeedyG » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:16 am

Not sure I'd include Kyrie/Dion in there, since one of them only blows up when the other is hurt....which is like, every other week XD
Bless the man if his heart and his land are one ~ FrancisM, R.I.P. 3/6/09
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#122 » by NyCeEvO » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:48 pm

While I'm totally happy with the fact that we blew out the Pistons last night, this was yet another game where one of Brooklyn's backcourt goes off and the other plays subpar.

Man, if only we could've traded for Harden instead of JJ :cry:
Ronito
Lead Assistant
And1: 101

Post#123 » by Ronito » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:25 pm

PPG is deceiving when we play at the slowest pace in the league.

For example, DWill/JJ combine for less than 29 shots a game. Ellis/Jennings are over 33, Irving/Waiters are over 34.

I'm not sure the possession numbers.
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,095

Post#124 » by therealbig3 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:17 pm

Ronito wrote:PPG is deceiving when we play at the slowest pace in the league.

For example, DWill/JJ combine for less than 29 shots a game. Ellis/Jennings are over 33, Irving/Waiters are over 34.

I'm not sure the possession numbers.

True. Hope I'm doing this right, but this is what I get when I try to adjust to per 75 possessions for those 6 backcourts:

1. Kyrie Irving/Dion Waiters - 45.3 ppg
2. Kobe Bryant/Steve Nash - 41.7 ppg
3. James Harden/Jeremy Lin - 40.5 ppg
4. Stephen Curry/Klay Thompson - 39.9 ppg
5. Monta Ellis/Brandon Jennings - 38.3 ppg
6. Deron Williams/Joe Johnson - 38.2 ppg

Much closer than before, but still 6th. Kyrie/Dion see a massive jump, because they're not playing that many minutes, so they're not playing that many possessions. So their per possession scoring is the best of the group.
Ronito
Lead Assistant
And1: 101

Post#125 » by Ronito » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:10 am

DWill averaging 48.0%//45.4%/84.2% since the break on 62% TS. 23.9 points, 7.6 assists, 2.9 rebounds, 3.1 turnovers, 1.2 steals.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets

Post#126 » by NyCeEvO » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:33 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2PEIMaFc2E[/youtube]
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets

Post#127 » by NyCeEvO » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:56 am

On Sunday, the rookie coach revealed a statistical goal for Williams. It concerns passing, not surprisingly.

“I’m going to push him. I want the best for him,” Kidd said after signing autographs at the Nets’ merchandise store in Coney Island. “When we sit down and talk about goals, team goals and also individual goals, I’m going to push him and I want to get him back to double-digit assists.”

via http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/nets/2 ... n-williams

Let's see if D-Will gets close to 10apg.

He might be a sleeper stud in some NBA fantasy leagues. 8-)
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#128 » by vincecarter4pres » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:58 am

If only he'd push Joe Johnson into a 6xth man role.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
DJ Pauly P
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#129 » by DJ Pauly P » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:26 am

Aww my dawg you too?

I can't really see Johnson in a true 6th man role, and actually think he's a great glue guy for the starting lineup... Joe's no nonsense and always in control, but he's not really an instant offense kind of guy.

The minutes will have to be staggered to get the most out of the starters, but I think I'd be more inclined to pull Pierce early and have him lead the second unit than Johnson.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets

Post#130 » by NyCeEvO » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:50 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ESPNNBA/status/388344476143341568[/tweet]
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Re: Official D-Will and JJ Thread 

Post#131 » by Paradise » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:01 pm

I think this has gone unnoticed but ever since Deron has came back healthy and Paul coming off the bench, the backcourt has looked good as once advertised.

Vs LAC: Deron - 15 points, 5 reb, 4 assists & JJ - 21 points, 2 rebs, 2 assists

Vs Detroit: Deron - 22 points, 3 rebs, 9 assists & JJ - 12 points, 4 rebs, 5 assists

Vs Philly: Deron - 13 points, 4 rebs, 13 assists & JJ - 37 points, 7 rebs, 5 assists

The biggest key is the fact when one is scoring and hot the other defers but racks up rebounds, assists and defends the opposing player.
DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,572

Post#132 » by DarkXaero » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:09 pm

Well, JJ was horrible against the Pistons.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,893

Post#133 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:49 am

He wasn't alone in that regard

Sent from my SGH-T999 using RealGM Forums mobile app
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Netaman
Analyst
And1: 1,069

Post#134 » by Netaman » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:35 pm

The time has come to officially determine that the problem with the Nets is Deron Williams.

He's been here for part of 4 seasons and the only consistent elements of his game have been inconsistency, limping, sulking, and not making anyone around him better. He's had some nice runs here and there, but to me that's the mark of a talented, all-star level player, but not a franchise player.

The two biggest problem this year and last? Inconsistent effort and lack of an identity. I think you look no further than the leader of the team as the root of both of those issues. Also 2 things that are masked well on a strong system team - like Jerry Sloan's Jazz teams.

With Lopez out there's no reason to panic and sell him low right now. Maybe DW flips a switch and elevates his game even beyond what he did last year. Lord knows plenty of smart basketball minds seem to think he has that potential. I'm inclined to believe that he just isn't a winner and this year will end a lot like last year. Forcing the organization to make a decision on trading him, and by extension Billy King.
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,177

Post#135 » by Keith Van Horn » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:10 pm

There is so much hate for Deron right now on the gb it's unbearable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#136 » by vincecarter4pres » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:03 pm

Netaman wrote:The time has come to officially determine that the problem with the Nets is Deron Williams.

He's been here for part of 4 seasons and the only consistent elements of his game have been inconsistency, limping, sulking, and not making anyone around him better. He's had some nice runs here and there, but to me that's the mark of a talented, all-star level player, but not a franchise player.

The two biggest problem this year and last? Inconsistent effort and lack of an identity. I think you look no further than the leader of the team as the root of both of those issues. Also 2 things that are masked well on a strong system team - like Jerry Sloan's Jazz teams.

With Lopez out there's no reason to panic and sell him low right now. Maybe DW flips a switch and elevates his game even beyond what he did last year. Lord knows plenty of smart basketball minds seem to think he has that potential. I'm inclined to believe that he just isn't a winner and this year will end a lot like last year. Forcing the organization to make a decision on trading him, and by extension Billy King.

Deron Williams is not Magic Johnson. He is not even Chris Paul.

When you set your expectations of Deron as this dominate Lebron like game changer and Jason Kidd(the player, not coach) leader of men, then sure it's super easy to hate on Deron and create BS arguments about and around him while he puts up great stats and does his part.

I'm not excusing his whole time here or forgetting he's injury prone, but the Deron hate is straight ridiculous.

The problem is Billy King tried to build around Deron like he was Iverson. The problem is Billy King overrated Iverson to begin with. The problem is Billy King completely mortgaged the future because of his own arrogance and ego and homered up vision of what he put together, so there is no safety net if things went awry.

If Deron was the 2nd best player on his team and there was a true leader here, not Boston castoffs who are 4 years past their prime and who were forced from their teams in the first place... If Deron was surrounded by athletic finishers and shooters who could defend, a good pick and roll/pick and pop big man... if every other player on the team wasn't exceptionally injury prone... if his backcourt mate wasn't a middling efficiency ball stopping isolation rock pounder who dominates the flow yet isn't all that great... if his coach wasn't an alcoholic numbskull 15 minutes retired from playing... I mean the list goes on...

Dwyane Wade once won games in the low teens in about 65 games before going out for the season with rosters eerily similar to some of the casts Deron has had around him and Deron isn't prime Wade either.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,177

Post#137 » by Keith Van Horn » Fri Jan 3, 2014 6:09 pm

The Pierce off the bench experiment worked... for a little while then things went awry. I think since PP isn't used to coming off the bench, maybe we just keep him as a starter. What why not try JJ off the bench now in that same 6th man role?

Start Deron Anderson PP Mirza KG.

Deron and Pierce are main scorers. Let those 2 get in their rhythm. Anderson can play some great defense and runs a lot more than JJ and can still shoot the 3. He doesn't need the ball like JJ does, nor does Mirza or KG. But those guys are good complimentary players around a Deron/PP offense.

Bring Johnson in for Anderson late in the first and through most of second. Let him get warm while Deron and PP already are or getting ready to sub out. Also let JJ stay in at the end of the game to close them out...like he usually does.

Let JJ be the scoring option with Blatche in the second unit of Livingston JJ AK Evans/Plumlee and Blatche.

These rotations I think would work better.

I wish we hadn't blown up the whole "Brooklyn's Backcourt" thing.

Johnson seems way more passive that Pierce so I think keeping him with the second unit is better than Pierce.

I think it's worth a shot at some point. It's all about the chemistry on the floor and finding your rhythm. Let Deron and PP take over with the first group and JJ and blatche with the reserves.

Also I don't care how much Johnson makes and he would be "the most expensive bench player in the game". If these guys want to win they would try all options. Johnson is so passive took he probably wouldnt even care. He would still get 30 mpg anyway.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using RealGM Forums mobile app
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#138 » by Prokorov » Fri Jan 3, 2014 7:19 pm

macgyver893 wrote:The Pierce off the bench experiment worked... for a little while then things went awry. I think since PP isn't used to coming off the bench, maybe we just keep him as a starter. What why not try JJ off the bench now in that same 6th man role?

Start Deron Anderson PP Mirza KG.

Deron and Pierce are main scorers. Let those 2 get in their rhythm. Anderson can play some great defense and runs a lot more than JJ and can still shoot the 3. He doesn't need the ball like JJ does, nor does Mirza or KG. But those guys are good complimentary players around a Deron/PP offense.

Bring Johnson in for Anderson late in the first and through most of second. Let him get warm while Deron and PP already are or getting ready to sub out. Also let JJ stay in at the end of the game to close them out...like he usually does.

Let JJ be the scoring option with Blatche in the second unit of Livingston JJ AK Evans/Plumlee and Blatche.

These rotations I think would work better.

I wish we hadn't blown up the whole "Brooklyn's Backcourt" thing.

Johnson seems way more passive that Pierce so I think keeping him with the second unit is better than Pierce.

I think it's worth a shot at some point. It's all about the chemistry on the floor and finding your rhythm. Let Deron and PP take over with the first group and JJ and blatche with the reserves.

Also I don't care how much Johnson makes and he would be "the most expensive bench player in the game". If these guys want to win they would try all options. Johnson is so passive took he probably wouldnt even care. He would still get 30 mpg anyway.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using RealGM Forums mobile app

I dont like bringing johnson off the bench, for several reasons:

-He is one of, if not our best defender
-He is one of the few guys who can play 35+ minutes consistently
-With brook out, you want that extra offense in there
-He plays best next to dwill

You can still leave him in with the second unit. with the injuries and ak back things changed. i dont think there is a logjam for shots anymore. you have 3 guys who score now and 2 role guys starting. that should work fine.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#139 » by Prokorov » Thu Jan 9, 2014 4:28 pm

joe jesus.

MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#140 » by MGrand15 » Thu Jan 9, 2014 8:28 pm

When JJ is taking spot up shots and making quick decisive moves, he's a force. Since that Philly game, his jumper really hasn't been on and he's still playing well - so that's great to see. Can't wait to see what our offense looks like when he starts knocking down those open 3s.

For all the flack he gets about his contract and not being assertive, he's been our rock these last 2 years. Solid defense, playing every game, 35+ minutes when we need him. Even with Deron out, I'm not worried about the offense if him, SL and PP are sharing ball handling duties.

Return to Brooklyn Nets