ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Pierce & KG Thread

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

DrazenForThree
Banned User
And1: 214

Re: Official Pierce & KG Thread 

Post#41 » by DrazenForThree » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:34 pm

My favorite thing about our new additions is that we will finally have some players capable of setting a screen. Garnett and Anderson especially are both outstanding screeners. Brook, reggie, and hump are all horrific screeners. its one of the reasons lopez is so bad at the pick and roll - he doesnt force the defense to switch or into anything tough with his fugazy screens.

Dwill was the only screener we had last year. its a little thing that will make a huge difference. we might go from one fo the wrost pnr teams to one of the best
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#42 » by NyCeEvO » Tue Oct 1, 2013 5:09 am

This video is so awesome on so many levels: [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfenKhYpgnA[/youtube]

Can't wait to watch Pierce go to work.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets

Post#43 » by NyCeEvO » Thu Oct 3, 2013 8:50 pm

This is a response to the 10+ page thread on the Knicks board talking about much KG not playing back-to-backs would hurt us:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/NYDNInterNets/status/385792573304221696[/tweet]
Boarder Patrol
Head Coach
And1: 3,743

Post#44 » by Boarder Patrol » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:47 pm

Pierce has officially been ranked in NBA rank at 48.

Too low for my taste.

Edit: This had its own thread. My bad.
exculpatory
RealGM
And1: 11,034

Post#45 » by exculpatory » Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:19 am

Boarder Patrol wrote:Pierce has officially been ranked in NBA rank at 48.

Too low for my taste.

Edit: This had its own thread. My bad.

#48 by ESPN & #36 by SLAM both totally preposterous. Last year, ESPN underrated him (but much less) at #29.

See my last post in the ESPN thread - ESPN player rankings: Nets players
viewtopic.php?t=1275715#p37122102

His basic & advanced numbers after the ASG were All Pro. Even at age 36, still #20-25 & still the 4th best SF in the NBA. Watch.
SamIam 2010: Truth's ability to play so incredibly efficiently is so UNDERAPPRECIATED. Bballcool 2012: Amazing how great Pierce has been for so long. Continues to defy age! KG 2013: P is original Celtic. Wherever he goes, we go. This is The Truth's house.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets

Post#46 » by NyCeEvO » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:10 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5hoR3J5PO4[/youtube]
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,103

Post#47 » by therealbig3 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:24 pm

And that clip shows why KG is so important to this team. He's teaching Brook how to play defense, he's getting into his face and keeping his focus up, and he understands the importance of everyone knowing their roles and working with each other, rather than everyone thinking it's their own team.

What I would give to have prime KG on this team...
WhateverBro
Head Coach
And1: 1,578

Post#48 » by WhateverBro » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:37 am

therealbig3 wrote:And that clip shows why KG is so important to this team. He's teaching Brook how to play defense, he's getting into his face and keeping his focus up, and he understands the importance of everyone knowing their roles and working with each other, rather than everyone thinking it's their own team.

What I would give to have prime KG on this team...

Yes, yes. I can't describe how many times I just sat and wished for KG to get some decent teammates around him during his time in Minny. It was a struggle not seeing him getting the recognition he deserved, I still remember all the talk about not being able to build a winning team around him (in hindsight, how ridiculous is that?). Everytime getting bounced in the first round, it was a brutal ride for his fans and most likely himself too, lol..

Too bad he got all these good to great teams at the end of his career but I'm enjoying every moment of it still. Impact wise he's still very much a great player and hopefully it'll translate to BK for two years too.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets

Post#49 » by NyCeEvO » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:19 pm

Kevin Garnett can motivate.

You learn this quickly about the 37-year-old from South Carolina, whether it’s from watching him, hearing stories from teammates, or talking with him for five minutes. He speaks with intensity, sometimes rambles, but his words are always thought-provoking and passionate.

Case in point, this brief soliloquy with reporters recently.

“How you would write a story is different from how you would write a story or how this lady would write a story,” Garnett says. “You might be able to chug a gallon of milk quicker than she can. I don’t know. We all have our strengths is the point I’m making.

And maybe someone’s strength isn’t to go hard or to play hard, but maybe he hasn’t been taught that or maybe he has an element where he leans to a strength and is using his energy for that. I never try to take a negative out of someone and what their strengths are. I’m not perfect. The only thing I can be is an example and when it’s time to go hard I suggest to go hard, and if he does, that’s up to him.

via http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baske ... -1.1500688

I wonder if he's referring to Brook here.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets

Post#50 » by NyCeEvO » Mon Nov 4, 2013 9:59 pm

Their comments after last night's game....

KG:
“I’ve got to get better with what I’m doing, making my minutes more productive,” Garnett said. “I’m just being a little more passive, trying to be the glue, if you will.

“I need to be a little more aggressive at times. I don’t really think about the offense. Defense is where I’m trying to make sure that we’re cohesive and we will.”

Pierce:
“We shouldn’t need things to motivate us. We shouldn’t need things to spark us. We should come out with that mind-set at the start of the game, each and every night knowing, ‘Hey, we got a lot on the line this season,’ ” said Paul Pierce (16 points).

“We’ve got a lot to play for and we’ve got to take advantage of these teams. Orlando has a good young team, not really projected to go to the playoffs, but these are games we should win.”

via http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baske ... -1.1505593
bobbyc
Sixth Man
And1: 138

Post#51 » by bobbyc » Mon Nov 4, 2013 10:53 pm

Nice Amex comercial
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHQ897YouGY[/youtube]
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,948

Post#52 » by Trader_Joe » Mon Nov 4, 2013 11:27 pm

Anyone else worried about KG's inability to finish on the inside these days?
Seems to be a trend for some time now.
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets

Post#53 » by NyCeEvO » Mon Nov 4, 2013 11:46 pm

bobbyc wrote:Nice Amex comercial
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHQ897YouGY[/youtube]

Great commercial.

In a somewhat weird way, it felt both genuine and a bit scripted. It was still really cool, regardless.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets

Post#54 » by NyCeEvO » Fri Nov 8, 2013 5:42 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/NYDNInterNets/status/398866849498021889[/tweet]
CPThree
Banned User
And1: 126

Post#55 » by CPThree » Sat Nov 9, 2013 2:49 am

KG has always struggled with limited minutes, or coming back off a break. Despite his age, he thrives on court time and consistency.

Why drop him from 31/31/30 MPG in the last 3 years to barely over 20? You can't tell me he's regressed that much physically in one summer.

I don't even understand bringing him here if we're going to treat him with such ridiculous 'Kidd' gloves.
syk1235
Sophomore
And1: 8

Post#56 » by syk1235 » Sat Nov 9, 2013 4:28 pm

CPThree wrote:KG has always struggled with limited minutes, or coming back off a break. Despite his age, he thrives on court time and consistency.

Why drop him from 31/31/30 MPG in the last 3 years to barely over 20? You can't tell me he's regressed that much physically in one summer.

I don't even understand bringing him here if we're going to treat him with such ridiculous 'Kidd' gloves.

I agree. It's (Please Use More Appropriate Word) what they're doing with his minutes. Come playoff time, KG will probably be only be able to play 28 minutes a game max if he gets used to playing only 22 friggin minutes a game. I bet you KG would be shooting 50% from the field instead of 30% if it weren't for his extreme minute restrictions. KG should flat out complain to Jason Kidd IMO.
CPThree
Banned User
And1: 126

Post#57 » by CPThree » Sat Nov 9, 2013 5:57 pm

syk1235 wrote:KG should flat out complain to Jason Kidd IMO.

He already has, apparently.

"It didn't go too well," Garnett said. "I understand what he's saying. He just wants to make sure I'm durable. I just don't want to be told anything. I think I've earned the right to have an opinion on something that I'm doing. From a chemistry standpoint, I think it's important for me to be out there with everybody."

and also

Kidd said Garnett “probably” wouldn’t play in any back-to-back games, which would automatically knock 20 games off the veteran’s schedule. After a conversation with Garnett — who didn’t like the idea of being limited that much — Kidd amended the plan to a “wait-and-see approach.”

I think depth is overrated at times. Right now, it seems the entire starting group are finding it hard to get a rhythm going. The starters are averaging a combined 26 minutes per game. It's not enough.
WhateverBro
Head Coach
And1: 1,578

Post#58 » by WhateverBro » Sat Nov 9, 2013 7:16 pm

Kidd has no clue on what he's doing with the minutes. He's doing a piss poor job with KGs minute, he needs to realize that Garnett needs consitency. Doc never jerked him around this much, he had him in for 6 minutes and then took him out and then put him back in 6 minutes.

Right now KG is playing 4 minute stints and 2 minute stints. That's awful for someone who thrives on consitency.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#59 » by Paradise » Sat Nov 9, 2013 8:49 pm

WhateverBro wrote:Kidd has no clue on what he's doing with the minutes. He's doing a piss poor job with KGs minute, he needs to realize that Garnett needs consitency. Doc never jerked him around this much, he had him in for 6 minutes and then took him out and then put him back in 6 minutes.

Right now KG is playing 4 minute stints and 2 minute stints. That's awful for someone who thrives on consitency.

Yeah, I agree he should be getting more minutes but that really nothing to do why he's struggling offensively. He's taking bad shots. He took a random three in the Orlando and Washington games. He took a pull up jumper outside instead of passing to the open man, he hasn't tried to post up anybody yet or even establish position when he's in the game.

So, even though he should get more minutes, it's not going to help if he's taking poor shots and over thinking.
jerseyjac
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34

Post#60 » by jerseyjac » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:22 pm

KG off to a slower start doesn't surprise me, I figured he would have a more difficult time adjusting on offense than Paul...I'm fine limiting KG to 26-29min., especially since that should correlate to his effectiveness later in the season...as the season goes on, it is inevitable he will tire...I really don't think some of you comprehend as good as he looks he is not 30, 32 or 35 years old...we're looking to preserve KG, keep him as fresh as possible in minutes played and prevent from wearing him down in back to backs or games where he may go over his so called minute limitation. The goal is for KG to be as fresh as possible come playoff time. You want more from KG now, you might not have anything later.

KG & PP combining for 8 TOs vs the Pacers is tough...PP already has 16 TOs...hopefully this is all part of the transition and adjustment period for him and KG...we cannot afford to give the ball away and our losing is attributed to this...

PP's minutes last night was typical because we needed his offense, but I think that was on the higher side...they want him closer to 30min than 35 min IMO...on some nights they may need him to log more...but Paul is still in the same ballpark as KG with preserving his body by limiting minutes...

They'll be fine.

Return to Brooklyn Nets