Mason Plumlee

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Re: Mason Plumlee 

Post#421 » by Prokorov » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:06 am

Trader_Joe wrote:Long story short ...
It looks like he hasn't improved at all on defense or rebounding. Both are average at best and not that hard to gauge.

you mean short story short? like lets knee jerk of 4 games that don't count?

ZOMG the sky is falling our guys didnt kill it in a game we arent even trying to win.
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,948

Post#422 » by Trader_Joe » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:07 pm

Prokorov wrote:
It looks like he hasn't improved at all on defense or rebounding. Both are average at best and not that hard to gauge.

ZOMG the sky is falling our guys didnt kill it in a game we arent even trying to win.

If you are unable to tell that he hasn't improved his rebounding then there's not much more to say. Yes his defense is more subjective and in preseason but I still see the same player as last year and the same shortcomings. When are these supposed to come out exactly? He's a second year player so he should still be trying to impress while he's old enough to be able to impress.
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#423 » by Prokorov » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:57 pm

Trader_Joe wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

If you are unable to tell that he hasn't improved his rebounding then there's not much more to say. Yes his defense is more subjective and in preseason but I still see the same player as last year and the same shortcomings. When are these supposed to come out exactly? He's a second year player so he should still be trying to impress while he's old enough to be able to impress.

I personally find it really silly to conclude what a player has or has not improved on based on preseason, or based on VERY limited minutes in international play on our national team. those just really arent very meaningful, not to mention, an incredibly small sample size.

When are these suppose to come out? how about when we play games that count, that we are trying to win, within the system we will for sure be using, in the rotations he can expect to be playing in.... and most importantly, over a sample of at least 8 or 10 games (i.e. 10% of the year or so).

It's like year 6 or 7 for lopez some are still waiting for him to get better on the glass. id say lets give plumlee at least 1 regular season game in his sophmore year.
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#424 » by Trader_Joe » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:53 pm

Prokorov wrote:
Trader_Joe wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

I personally find it really silly to conclude what a player has or has not improved on based on preseason, or based on VERY limited minutes in international play on our national team. those just really arent very meaningful, not to mention, an incredibly small sample size.

When are these suppose to come out? how about when we play games that count, that we are trying to win, within the system we will for sure be using, in the rotations he can expect to be playing in.... and most importantly, over a sample of at least 8 or 10 games (i.e. 10% of the year or so).

It's like year 6 or 7 for lopez some are still waiting for him to get better on the glass. id say lets give plumlee at least 1 regular season game in his sophmore year.

People stopping waiting on Lopez a while ago.. Plumlee is close to Lopez's age and we got crushed last year on the glass, so far this pre-season when he's played and if he plays with Mirza going forward I expect the same. I can see his technique hasn't changed much. He doesn't box out and tries to jump for rebounds, even though he has short arms. He needs to keep opposing rebounders away from the ball and he can't..even Lopez does it much better. If the same bad habits and lack of ability are on display now I expect them to stay on display. If he changed them we would have seen it by now. Otherwise there is no logical explanation why wouldn't see him boxing out and getting rebounds in traffic.
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#425 » by Prokorov » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:59 pm

Trader_Joe wrote:Plumlee is close to Lopez's age and we got crushed last year on the glass

that had nothing to do with plumlee... it had to do with us playing a 6'7" "power forward". KG led the NBA in defensive rebounding, yet we still got crushed on the glass. its something you live with when you go small.

so far this pre-season

you know my stance on preseason, we will have to agree to disagree on that part
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#426 » by Paradise » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:16 pm

There's still time for him to show growth. He was a late bloomer last season but if he gets outplayed tonight by Noel or whatever D-Leaguers Philly has, that's when his improvement becomes a major concern.

Preseason or not, he hasn't shown any healthy habits to start the season off. His only improvement is his new post moves which is nice but won't help us win ball games compared to rebounding and interior D will.
DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,572

Post#427 » by DarkXaero » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:42 pm

Gotta love how hypocritical Prokorov is with his posting. He will use the smallest sample size out of context to make his point, but will disregard when others do it. Apparently, our awful rebounding last season had nothing to do with Plumlee, who still rebounded at a poor rate. But Brook who improves our team rebounding is a "soft pussy" in comparison.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#428 » by Prokorov » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:41 pm

Paradise wrote:There's still time for him to show growth. He was a late bloomer last season but if he gets outplayed tonight by Noel or whatever D-Leaguers Philly has, that's when his improvement becomes a major concern.

Preseason or not, he hasn't shown any healthy habits to start the season off. His only improvement is his new post moves which is nice but won't help us win ball games compared to rebounding and interior D will.

the season hasnt started off yet. and we have no idea what the staff has and hasnt asked him to do in these games. preseason isnt like regular season, its not like you are trying to win games. you are looking at certain things...

its like spring tranining in baseball, a pitcher may just want to try out a new pitch, so its all he throws and it gets crushed, then the real games start and he is lights out throwing his normal stuff
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#429 » by Prokorov » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:45 pm

DarkXaero wrote:Gotta love how hypocritical Prokorov is with his posting. He will use the smallest sample size out of context to make his point, but will disregard when others do it. Apparently, our awful rebounding last season had nothing to do with Plumlee, who still rebounded at a poor rate. But Brook who improves our team rebounding is a "soft pussy" in comparison.

what are you talking about? have i hated on deron and lopez? no, its preseason and other then healthy i havent mentioned them.

Plumlee and KG were not the problems rebounding... not when we had a 6'7" power forward, and not when our rebounding was just as bad in games plumlee barely played as it was in the ones he started. Team rebounding is just, that, how you rebound as a TEAM... Brook lopez getting 6 rebounds a game playing next to elite rebounders like humphries and Evans wasnt what made us a decent rebounding team. if he is on the floor with mirza starting we are still going to be a poor rebounding team
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#430 » by Trader_Joe » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:28 am

Much better.

Two things happened.

Hollins decided not to try Mason post ups.

Mason played with the energy he should.

Lots of rebounds but I still need to see him box out more and do it against real players.
His FTs and TOs are concerning. His catches and passes are often sloppy (despite catching some balls that you don't think he will at the same time.)

I hope we always have 1 of KG or Brook available every game...or almost every game. If we do, we should be OK as I think Plumlee can play next to either. Plumlee should be able to attack the rim while being able to pass off to Lopez at the same time...even vice versa. We have three 3 point shooter so we can space the floor as well as most teams...assuming BB finds his shot.

I'd really like to see more of Plumlee and Lopez together and its too bad we are not getting to try it now.

D.Will
Bogs
JJ
Plumlee
Lopez

Looks like next year's lineup unless a major trade (or injury) happens but maybe it starts this year. We'll see it some. I just hope it works.
F3LON
Banned User
And1: 187

Post#431 » by F3LON » Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:46 pm

Everyone was happy when we were beating bad teams at home but I was warning everyone about our bigs, specifically Lopez and Mirza. Teams target them in PnR because they cant stop it. Below average players become viable scoring options when going up against us. We cant let players like Draymond Green (17 pts, 8 reb, 7 ast, 2 blk, 1 stl) look like Oscar Robinson. It's hard enough guarding Curry and Thompson.

For as much hate that I see on Mason Plumlee he is playing great. The average fan will look straight to his FG% and FT% to dispute what I just said but he's only taken 42 shots. He is only 2 makes from being 50% so that will correct itself as the sample size gets larger. The numbers Im looking at are the defensive and rebounding numbers.

Rebounding:

Plumlee is 3rd in the NBA in Reb/36 for players playing at least 12 minutes a game. I repeat, Plumlee is 3rd in the NBA in Reb/36 for players playing at least 12 minutes a game!!!!!

1. Reggie Evans 14.5 reb/36
2. Drummond 14.2 reb / 36
3. Plumlee 13.6 reb /36

He has taken a big step forward with his rebounding as would be expected for someone with his height and ability to get off the floor quickly. Rebounding is one of the weakest parts of the team.

Plumlee 13.6 reb / 36
Garnett 12.5 reb / 36
Mirza 7.3 reb / 36
Lopez 7.1 reb / 36

Plumlee is doubling Mirza and Lopez on the boards.

Defense:

Plumlee has been by far the Nets best defender. The Nets as a team have a DRtg of 106.6 which is 19th in the NBA.

Plumlee 99 DRtg (-7.6 for the team)
Garnett 102 DRtg (-4.6 for the team)
Lopez 103 DRtg (-3.6 for the team)
Mirza 108 DRtg (+1.4 for the team)

As you can see Plumlee is making a big difference on the level of defense we play with him in the game. You might not notice it but he is able to cover a lot of ground laterally on his rotations. As you can also see, Mirza has been atrocious and it's why I "hate" on him. He brings a lot to the table offensively but that is fools gold. His offense is only good when he is on the floor. His defense however causes problems even after he leaves. Once a player gets into rhythm in the NBA he is hard to stop. Mirza's poor D stays on the floor long after he leaves it.

Blocks:

Plumlee has also become the best shot blocker on the team.

Plumlee 2.8 blk /36
Lopez 2.2 blk / 36
Mirza .9 blk /36
Garnett .4 blk / 36

I was surprised to see that Plumlee has been blocking more shots then Lopez. The way he does it is important also. Lopez does it by being 7 feet tall and standing in between the shooter and the rim. This is nullified when teams put him into PnR defense. Lopez's guy is able to get behind him and take him out of the area he is most effective. When Plumlee blocks shots, he is doing it from the weak side in most cases. This is important because it causes hesitation on the person driving to the rim. They dont know if Plumlee is chasing them down to swat them. It also helps with his rebounding because his shoulders are facing the rim putting him in better rebounding position.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,879

Post#432 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:13 pm

Lopez has been playing soft as hell so none of that is surprising.

Plumlee is averaging 6rpg. He needs to find a way to keep himself on the damn floor and maybe he'll get more.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
jbeachboy
Assistant Coach
And1: 359

Post#433 » by jbeachboy » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:15 pm

Plumlee needs to work on defense and avoiding fouls and fix his awful free throw form
Rainy
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#434 » by Rainy » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:05 pm

The above statistical breakdown doesn't even attempt to identify possible confounding variables or speak to its limitations. You cite blocks, for instance, but conveniently ignore that Miles' rim protection numbers have been poor (not as bad as Lopez's though). Yes, he's been great coming from the weak side to contest shots - a testament to his lateral quickness and jumping ability - but nowhere do you mention his horrible rotations.

Too often in basketball anlsyis athleticism is conflated with good defense. There is a current meme that Plumlee is a high-IQ player, but his play thus far on the defensive end has told me anything but. Not only he is fouling at a higher rate - oftentimes because he overplays his man and/or exhibits poor timing in his contests - but also his help defense is inconsistent. The guy just doesn't know where to place himself on the floor.

Plumlee has been at his worst when the other big leaves the paint to contest a guard. Instead of picking up the guy's man and boxing him out, Plumlee just stands idly, too slow to react.

Defensive rating is really a horrible statistic. It doesn't control for significant confounding variables related to the lineup one plays in as well as the lineups one faces. Plumlee has had the luxury of facing worse units, on average, than some of our starters. And when he plays with KG in the same lineup, KG can defend the 5, where Kevin is better suited than defending the 4.

I've been most disappointed with Plumlee's PnR coverage. With his athleticism he should be really effective at hedging and rotating to cover other bigs. But he just hasn't figured out that technique or anticipation yet.

The rebounding numbers also don't speak to Plumlee's production. Besides horribly overrated in mainstream analysis, defensive rebounds vary in value depending on whether they are contested or uncontested. The latter kind of rebound has little value and follows from the counterfactual analysis that has Player B not grabbed a rebound, Teammate A could have just as easily grabbed it.

From my observation, Plumlee has grabbed a very high portion of his team's uncontested rebounds (once the tracking data for this is released, I will get it to you guys). But he has struggled on the contested boards due to a combination of poor boxing-out and not rotating to cover other bigs. Despite his athleticism, his technique isn't there yet.

An interesting exercise might be to look at combinations of our bigs to see which yield the higher defensive rebounding rates, all while keeping in mind this is a small sample (but you've opened up the floodgates there).

1. KG-Teletovic 86.1%
2. KG-Lopez 79.4%
3. KG-Plumlee 74.2%
4. Plumlee-Teletovic 71.4%
5. Plumlee-Lopez 66.7%
6. Lopez-Teletovic 65.1%

When breaking it down this way, it suggests KG is perhaps the greater cause for the Net's rebounding success, even if it is not reflected in his personal DReb%. In general, I put little stock in individual DReb% because it struggles to account for the existence of rebounding padding, as well as important things like boxing-out.
F3LON
Banned User

Post#435 » by F3LON » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:27 am

Rainy wrote:The above statistical breakdown doesn't even attempt to identify possible confounding variables or speak to its limitations. You cite blocks, for instance, but conveniently ignore that Miles' rim protection numbers have been poor (not as bad as Lopez's though). Yes, he's been great coming from the weak side to contest shots - a testament to his lateral quickness and jumping ability - but nowhere do you mention his horrible rotations.

Too often in basketball anlsyis athleticism is conflated with good defense. There is a current meme that Plumlee is a high-IQ player, but his play thus far on the defensive end has told me anything but. Not only he is fouling at a higher rate - oftentimes because he overplays his man and/or exhibits poor timing in his contests - but also his help defense is inconsistent. The guy just doesn't know where to place himself on the floor.

Plumlee has been at his worst when the other big leaves the paint to contest a guard. Instead of picking up the guy's man and boxing him out, Plumlee just stands idly, too slow to react.

Defensive rating is really a horrible statistic. It doesn't control for significant confounding variables related to the lineup one plays in as well as the lineups one faces. Plumlee has had the luxury of facing worse units, on average, than some of our starters. And when he plays with KG in the same lineup, KG can defend the 5, where Kevin is better suited than defending the 4.

I've been most disappointed with Plumlee's PnR coverage. With his athleticism he should be really effective at hedging and rotating to cover other bigs. But he just hasn't figured out that technique or anticipation yet.

The rebounding numbers also don't speak to Plumlee's production. Besides horribly overrated in mainstream analysis, defensive rebounds vary in value depending on whether they are contested or uncontested. The latter kind of rebound has little value and follows from the counterfactual analysis that has Player B not grabbed a rebound, Teammate A could have just as easily grabbed it.

From my observation, Plumlee has grabbed a very high portion of his team's uncontested rebounds (once the tracking data for this is released, I will get it to you guys). But he has struggled on the contested boards due to a combination of poor boxing-out and not rotating to cover other bigs. Despite his athleticism, his technique isn't there yet.

An interesting exercise might be to look at combinations of our bigs to see which yield the higher defensive rebounding rates, all while keeping in mind this is a small sample (but you've opened up the floodgates there).

1. KG-Teletovic 86.1%
2. KG-Lopez 79.4%
3. KG-Plumlee 74.2%
5. Plumlee-Lopez 66.7%
6. Lopez-Teletovic 65.1%

When breaking it down this way, it suggests KG is perhaps the greater cause for the Net's rebounding success, even if it is not reflected in his personal DReb%. In general, I put little stock in individual DReb% because it struggles to account for the existence of rebounding padding, as well as important things like boxing-out.

Oh Rainy king of throw out the stats I dont like and using big words to try and sound smart. Speak to your audience and put the thesaurus away Clyde. This is a sports blog not an academia blog.

DRtg is important enough that it's kept as a stat. As is rebounding rate. We arent throwing those stats out because you dont like them. Uncontested rebounds however is not kept as a stat and is only referenced when you try to trivialize the value of rebounding. If player B could have gotten the rebound he would have. But he doesnt. It's like giving Lopez credit for KG making a shot because you think he would have made it also. No one cares what you think would have happened. We can only speak to what actually happened. It's a fact that Plumlee is among the top rebounders in the league this year. The fact you are even trying to argue that is ridiculous.
SpeedyG
RealGM
And1: 1,310

Post#436 » by SpeedyG » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:16 am

F3LON wrote:
Rainy wrote:The above statistical breakdown doesn't even attempt to identify possible confounding variables or speak to its limitations. You cite blocks, for instance, but conveniently ignore that Miles' rim protection numbers have been poor (not as bad as Lopez's though). Yes, he's been great coming from the weak side to contest shots - a testament to his lateral quickness and jumping ability - but nowhere do you mention his horrible rotations.

1. KG-Teletovic 86.1%
2. KG-Lopez 79.4%
3. KG-Plumlee 74.2%
5. Plumlee-Lopez 66.7%
6. Lopez-Teletovic 65.1%

Oh Rainy king of throw out the stats I dont like and using big words to try and sound smart. Speak to your audience and put the thesaurus away Clyde. This is a sports blog not an academia blog.

DRtg is important enough that it's kept as a stat. As is rebounding rate. We arent throwing those stats out because you dont like them. Uncontested rebounds however is not kept as a stat and is only referenced when you try to trivialize the value of rebounding. If player B could have gotten the rebound he would have. But he doesnt. It's like giving Lopez credit for KG making a shot because you think he would have made it also. No one cares what you think would have happened. We can only speak to what actually happened. It's a fact that Plumlee is among the top rebounders in the league this year. The fact you are even trying to argue that is ridiculous.

Except he didn't really use any "big words". There is nothing in his post that an average high school student should not be able to comprehend.

Contested rebounds is a relatively new thing, and is just now getting traction thanks to advancement in technology. Oh by the way, it IS being tracked as a stat.

Still a small sample size this season, that said, so far this season, his contested rpg is actually higher than his uncontested. His % in contested rpg is actually higher than some of the better rebounders in the game. This wasn't the case last year for Mason though, and I expect that as the season goes on that this number will decrease and be closer to what it was last year for him.

Based on last year and this year so far, I don't think there's a doubt that KG is our best defensive rebounder though.
Bless the man if his heart and his land are one ~ FrancisM, R.I.P. 3/6/09
F3LON
Banned User

Post#437 » by F3LON » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:54 pm

SpeedyG wrote:
F3LON wrote:Oh Rainy king of throw out the stats I dont like and using big words to try and sound smart. Speak to your audience and put the thesaurus away Clyde. This is a sports blog not an academia blog.

Except he didn't really use any "big words". There is nothing in his post that an average high school student should not be able to comprehend.

Contested rebounds is a relatively new thing, and is just now getting traction thanks to advancement in technology. Oh by the way, it IS being tracked as a stat.

Still a small sample size this season, that said, so far this season, his contested rpg is actually higher than his uncontested. His % in contested rpg is actually higher than some of the better rebounders in the game. This wasn't the case last year for Mason though, and I expect that as the season goes on that this number will decrease and be closer to what it was last year for him.

Based on last year and this year so far, I don't think there's a doubt that KG is our best defensive rebounder though.

1. Ive never seen contested or uncontested rebound stats.
2. If it is being kept as a stat then why isnt it referenced in his post? Common sense would suggest that those with higher rebounding rates will also have higher contested rebounding rates. He makes it seem as if Plumlee only gets freebee boards.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#438 » by Prokorov » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:47 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:Lopez has been playing soft as hell so none of that is surprising.

Plumlee is averaging 6rpg. He needs to find a way to keep himself on the damn floor and maybe he'll get more.

exactly, playing defense without fouling is an issue for him.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#439 » by Prokorov » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:49 pm

how good a rebounder plumlee is doesnt really matter. its clear he is better at it then lopez. plumlee isnt like moses malone all of sudden, but as bad as lopez has been defensively and on the glass its worth playing plumlee more.

none of that really matters through as all 4 bigs have been pretty putrid defensively. as have our point gaurds. Anderson/Johnson/Bogs are really the only players defending worth a lick
F3LON
Banned User

Post#440 » by F3LON » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:11 pm

Prokorov wrote:how good a rebounder plumlee is doesnt really matter. its clear he is better at it then lopez. plumlee isnt like moses malone all of sudden, but as bad as lopez has been defensively and on the glass its worth playing plumlee more.

none of that really matters through as all 4 bigs have been pretty putrid defensively. as have our point gaurds. Anderson/Johnson/Bogs are really the only players defending worth a lick

I think Plumlee has been playing very well on the defensive end. I dont know why people have issues with his much improved rebounding. He is among the top rebounders in the NBA right now. He has the athletic ability and body of someone who you would think is a good rebounder. He is very quick off the floor and jumps through the roof. The fact he is rebounding this well without getting good positioning also suggest he will grow as a rebounder as his IQ matches his athleticism. Defensively he is hands down the best defender on the team right now.

Offensively he is being misused. He is not a post up player and Hollins is trying to make him one. His offense is similar to Dwight Howards.

Return to Brooklyn Nets