ImageImageImageImageImage

Mason Plumlee

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

F3LON
Banned User
And1: 187

Re: Mason Plumlee 

Post#281 » by F3LON » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:24 am

When did it become mandatory that your PF has to shoot from range?

If we put two 7 footers on the floor together I want both of them playing as close to the rim as possible not floating out on the perimeter making it easy on the defense. Usually the big concern is defensively but Plumlee excels at moving his feet.

How many good teams have used a stretch 4 in NBA history? The whole notion of floor spacing is ridiculous. Reggie Evans didnt work next to Lopez because he was awful finishing at the rim. Plumlee is one of the best. He is going to get a ton of offensive rebound put backs because his guy is going to have to help on Lopez.
SpeedyG
RealGM
And1: 1,310

Post#282 » by SpeedyG » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:10 am

F3LON wrote:When did it become mandatory that your PF has to shoot from range?

If we put two 7 footers on the floor together I want both of them playing as close to the rim as possible not floating out on the perimeter making it easy on the defense. Usually the big concern is defensively but Plumlee excels at moving his feet.

How many good teams have used a stretch 4 in NBA history? The whole notion of floor spacing is ridiculous. Reggie Evans didnt work next to Lopez because he was awful finishing at the rim. Plumlee is one of the best. He is going to get a ton of offensive rebound put backs because his guy is going to have to help on Lopez.

I don't think anyone's calling for a stretch 4. But since you asked (and granted there are obvious talent discrepancies), but:

2014 - Spurs turned the series with Diaw at PF
2013 - Heat, Chris Bosh
2012 - Heat, Bosh
2011 - Mavs, Dirk
2010 - Lakers, Gasol (excellent high post shooter)
2009 - Lakers, Gasol
2008 - Celtics, KG
2007 - Spurs, Bonner/Horry
2006 - Heat, Haslem (dead eye 15 footer)
2005 - Spurs, Duncan
2004 - Pistons, Sheed

That's a decade right there. Not necessarily stretch 4s, but guys who contribute with defense, rebounding, or something else, and if left open can hurt you with a jump shot.
Bless the man if his heart and his land are one ~ FrancisM, R.I.P. 3/6/09
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#283 » by Paradise » Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:57 pm

Team USA vs Brazil tonight at 9pm on ESPN
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#284 » by MGrand15 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:12 pm

SpeedyG wrote:

I don't think anyone's calling for a stretch 4. But since you asked (and granted there are obvious talent discrepancies), but:

2014 - Spurs turned the series with Diaw at PF
2013 - Heat, Chris Bosh
2012 - Heat, Bosh
2011 - Mavs, Dirk
2010 - Lakers, Gasol (excellent high post shooter)
2009 - Lakers, Gasol
2008 - Celtics, KG
2007 - Spurs, Bonner/Horry
2006 - Heat, Haslem (dead eye 15 footer)
2005 - Spurs, Duncan
2004 - Pistons, Sheed

That's a decade right there. Not necessarily stretch 4s, but guys who contribute with defense, rebounding, or something else, and if left open can hurt you with a jump shot.

:lol:

You were being kind too. The Lakers regularly played Lamar Odom at 4. The Mavs played Marion at 4. The Heat played Battier and Lebron a ton at 4. The 06' Heat played Antoine Walker at 4 a solid amount. The 2014 Spurs split up Duncan and Splitter so they could maximize their shooting on the floor. Even before that, Duncan shoots a good amount of mid-range jumpers so him and Splitter can properly play together.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#285 » by Prokorov » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:56 pm

I agree completely. And while you can point out some good teams have stretch 4's(last years heat, mavs, spurs) you can also point out some bad teasm that have stretch 4s(bucks, 76ers, bobcats, celtics)

you run into spacing issues a TON more when you gaurds or wings cant shoot. when your bigs cant shoot it isnt nearly as big an issue, as when you leave a big you are leaving a guy open at the rim. thats a much bigger risk then leaving a gaurd or wing who cant shoot open on the perimter, allowing you an extra wing in the lane defensively.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,893

Post#286 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:46 pm

Prokorov wrote:

I agree completely. And while you can point out some good teams have stretch 4's(last years heat, mavs, spurs) you can also point out some bad teasm that have stretch 4s(bucks, 76ers, bobcats, celtics)

you run into spacing issues a TON more when you gaurds or wings cant shoot. when your bigs cant shoot it isnt nearly as big an issue, as when you leave a big you are leaving a guy open at the rim. thats a much bigger risk then leaving a gaurd or wing who cant shoot open on the perimter, allowing you an extra wing in the lane defensively.

Exactly. Recall when we had Gerald Wallace out there firing up bricks left and right. In reality, that murdered our floor spacing. Wasn't an issue last year since anyone we slotted at the wing knocked down the jumpers with efficiency.

Team will not dare to cheat off of Plumlee like they did with Evans either because they know damn well that Plumlee will make them pay around the rim.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
SpeedyG
RealGM
And1: 1,310

Post#287 » by SpeedyG » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:55 pm

LoL at reading that USA game thread. Everyone hating on Mason.
Bless the man if his heart and his land are one ~ FrancisM, R.I.P. 3/6/09
Paradise

Post#288 » by Paradise » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:13 am

Mason on the Power Forward debate:

“I’m definitely comfortable at power forward,” Plumlee said. “I’m a very good passer; I can see the floor, and I can put the ball on the floor. I don’t know what they’re looking to do, if they’re trying to stay small but what made that work last year was Paul, so I can’t imagine we do that again. 

“I think so (I can play next to Lopez),” he added. “He demands so much attention, you kind let him be the focal point scoring wise and then you kind of complement him. So it can be a good two-man tandem. Him and Kevin (Garnett), him and me, me and Kevin, however you want to do it.”

On his playoff performance:

“You start playing a team over and over again (in the playoffs), I didn’t have enough to go to,” said last season’s First Team All-Rookie selection. “They shut down the pick-and-roll, the playing at the rim, so when they’re switching a 6-foot-5 or 6-foot-6 guy on me, you have to give me the ball on the block. And when that’s not something you’ve done all year, they’re not all of a sudden going to throw me the ball down low."

On wanting more offensive responsibility:

“It doesn't matter who is on me. I feel comfortable catching the ball on the block, extended post."

Plumlee said Tuesday that a regiment of weight lifting has him at 245 pounds, a career high.

http://m.nydailynews.com/sports/basketb ... -1.1909670
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#289 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:41 pm

I'm on board with this. Lopez and Plumlee compliment each other perfectly.

I don't give a **** about the jumpshot. Let him play heavy minutes and start.

Prokorov
RealGM

Post#290 » by Prokorov » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:55 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:I'm on board with this. Lopez and Plumlee compliment each other perfectly.

I don't give a **** about the jumpshot. Let him play heavy minutes and start.

agree 100%. get the dude starting and playing 35-40 minutes per game next to whomever. I dont buy that he needs to shoot jumpers or that there we be no spacing with him and lopez. i think we'd have elite spacing. your not doubling off plumlee to help on lopez. teams got burnt at times doing that with reggie evans on the floor(when he could actually make a layup), with plumlee, they would get torched.

Gerald Wallace at the 3 is really what killed out spacing that first year in brooklyn. Reggie didnt kill us spacing wise, he killed us because he refused/was in capable of scoring the ball, even inside of 5 feet. how many times did the guy get an offensive rebound right under the rim and pass it out. or get a feed at the rim and pass it out or miss a layup?

with plumlee, those are dunks or drawn fouls every time
F3LON
Banned User
And1: 187

Post#291 » by F3LON » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:07 pm

Players like Plumlee are in their prime from ages 24-29. After that the wear and tear on his knees will cause him to lose his athleticism.

SO PLAY HIM NOW

Plumlee is leaps and bounds better then Mirza and KG at this point. The guy's BBIQ is off the charts and he has live legs in a 7 foot body. Ride him into the ground while we still have him on the cheap. 30+ minutes per game.

It's rare that you see a rookie display leadership but Plumlee did just that. He communicates with his teammates like he is a quarterback audibling out of a bad play. He must put in a ton of time watching video to be able to do that.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#292 » by Prokorov » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:17 pm

F3LON wrote:Players like Plumlee are in their prime from ages 24-29. After that the wear and tear on his knees will cause him to lose his athleticism.

SO PLAY HIM NOW

Wear is based more on minutes, not age. he came into the league pretty young, so he should be able to stay pretty spry into hsi early 30's, barring injury

Plumlee is leaps and bounds better then Mirza and KG at this point. The guy's BBIQ is off the charts and he has live legs in a 7 foot body. Ride him into the ground while we still have him on the cheap. 30+ minutes per game.

It's rare that you see a rookie display leadership but Plumlee did just that. He communicates with his teammates like he is a quarterback audibling out of a bad play. He must put in a ton of time watching video to be able to do that.

agreed. i honestly dont want to see KG play unless brook is out or its garbage time. give plumlee the keys to the team
Zachbretton
Rookie
And1: 322

Post#293 » by Zachbretton » Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:55 am

Our boy made it to Team USA, the experience is going to be amazing for him!

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Paradise

Post#294 » by Paradise » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:31 am

He made it!

[tweet]https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/503043628840001536[/tweet]

Cousins, Drummond made it also which means no annoying loser trolls

Prokorov
RealGM

Post#295 » by Prokorov » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:34 pm

Paradise wrote:He made it!

[tweet]https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/503043628840001536[/tweet]

Cousins, Drummond made it also which means no annoying loser trolls

I like the roster and think they made a good call cutting gaurds over bigs. especially when rose and curry can also both play SG. I figured it would have been drummond to get cut since he didnt really seem to play well in thibs system and seemed lost alot... but extra bigs is gonna help esepcially vs smaller teams.

cousins i thought was a must. he is a big body who can play the international game.

props to plumlee, playing with the ebst players and coaches will only help him
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#296 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:54 pm

WELL DONE PLUMLEE

Bro Johnson
Banned User
And1: 330

Post#297 » by Bro Johnson » Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:06 pm

The Plumlee hate is ridiculous... I personally don't care what happens in this tournament, I just hope Plumlee comes away a much better player :lol:
jeff1624
RealGM
And1: 1,068

Post#298 » by jeff1624 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:58 pm

Mehh. Good for him I guess. Should serve as a learning experience for Plumlee but Cousins, Faried and Davis wil get the bulk of the minutes at PF/C.
Dat Leadership
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#299 » by Prokorov » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:52 pm

jeff1624 wrote:Mehh. Good for him I guess. Should serve as a learning experience for Plumlee but Cousins, Faried and Davis wil get the bulk of the minutes at PF/C.

its great for him to go up against other good athletic bigs in practice. its not something that can be simulated on this team in practice. he is playing with and against the best in the world. few guys come back from this experience without raising their play
JMaine518
Starter
And1: 156

Post#300 » by JMaine518 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:33 pm

Congrats Plumlee. I really hope can can start and be a good 4 next to Lopez next season

Return to Brooklyn Nets