Nets Re-Sign Alan Anderson

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

enetric
RealGM
And1: 169

Re: Nets Re-Sign Alan Anderson 

Post#101 » by enetric » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:04 pm

Prokorov....

it's one thing to point to this game or hand full of games versus having to go through an 82 games season with three big men on your entire roster. One of them has to be considered a risk to play at all another is a lock to miss significant time and the third is a fill in backup role playing big man. as usual this will all come back to Deron Williams. If the same bucket of mediocrity shows up this year and we have the normal expected injuries throughout the season you are going to see just how thin this group becomes because it starts relying on guys to do way more than they should be doing more often. I will cap the upside at 45 and I will put the downside at 30.
enetric
RealGM

Post#102 » by enetric » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:10 pm

SpeedyG wrote:But I'm not talking about what our team last year COULD HAVE been. I'm talking about comparison of what our team last year WAS...and that team was without Lopez for over 3/4 of the season. So when I talk about our team last year, I don't factor in Brook.

I'm not comparing our team this year to the team we thought could hang with Miami after the Boston trade. I'm talking about the team last year that had to go through a major lineup and philosophy change just to hang with the Raptors on a 7 game series.

And for the record, I don't think we'd be as good as last year. I just don't think its a significant drop off that we'd be cursing King for a pick swap with the Hawks.

yeah if you are speaking about the pick swap then of course you are simply talking about end result to end result. But I took what you were saying as a comparison of this year's team to last year's team. And the bottom line is we got worse at four positions. so if I misread the angle of where you are coming from I apologize.
SpeedyG
RealGM
And1: 1,310

Post#103 » by SpeedyG » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:20 pm

No worries man. Honestly, there's multiple threads that kind of overlap each other and its quite difficult to remember what exactly the conversation was. I have zero aspirations of a championship caliber team this year. At best, we're a 5 or 6th seed this year if things click (young guys step up, Lopez and Deron somewhat healthy). But I also don't believe in the doom and gloom that I've seen around here (especially after losing Pierce).

The only thing that would kill our chances is a significant injury to both Lopez and Deron.
Bless the man if his heart and his land are one ~ FrancisM, R.I.P. 3/6/09
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#104 » by Prokorov » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:57 pm

enetric wrote:Prokorov....

it's one thing to point to this game or hand full of games versus having to go through an 82 games season with three big men on your entire roster. One of them has to be considered a risk to play at all another is a lock to miss significant time and the third is a fill in backup role playing big man. as usual this will all come back to Deron Williams. If the same bucket of mediocrity shows up this year and we have the normal expected injuries throughout the season you are going to see just how thin this group becomes because it starts relying on guys to do way more than they should be doing more often. I will cap the upside at 45 and I will put the downside at 30.

I don't know. Maybe i just think more highly of plumlee. I'm certainly factoring in injury though. im assuming

Lopez: 0 games (for purposes of ranking our floor)
KG: 50 games @ 12-18 mins
Dwill: At or slightly lower then last years level, 68 games at 2-30 mpg
Kirilenko: 30-50 games @ 20 mpg

then your typical 1-10 random games for everyone else.

i still see that above scenario resulting in 42 or more wins. Maybe we need to sign a vet minimum type big once lopez goes down to eat some minutes, but im extremely confident that 30 mpg for plumlee 18 mpg for KG/vet minimum big along with Johnson, Mirza, Anderson, dwill/jack is enough to keep us aboe .500

ceiling wise id agree. its not much higher then our floor. 45-48ish wins. basically we beat up on sub .500 teams and win our share of home games vs .500+ teams. similar to a couple years ago.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#105 » by Prokorov » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:02 pm

enetric wrote:yeah if you are speaking about the pick swap then of course you are simply talking about end result to end result. But I took what you were saying as a comparison of this year's team to last year's team. And the bottom line is we got worse at four positions. so if I misread the angle of where you are coming from I apologize.

Worse at 4 positions? I'm not sure.

PG: id say at least a push unless dwill regresses, but im not sure how much he could even regress at this point

SG: anderson/brown instead of livingston/thornton. downgrade ill give, but again it seems small

SF: Johnson/Bogs/karasev instead of johnson/livingston?/anderson? is that a downgrade?

PF: Pierce/mirza/ak to mirza/ak/jefferson we cana ssume downgrade, but upgrade with mirza stepping up wouldnt suprise

C: KG/plumlee/blatche to KG/Plumlee. that is a downgrade, but is it an enormous one? KG declines plumlee is a year older. losing blatche stings but still a couple solid centers

At most ill give you 3 downgrades (SG/PF/C) but i think they are all minimal downgrades with the potential of even being upgrades. I think Center is the only position where we could really see a sizeable downgrade if both brook and KG are lost for the year and mason takes a step back instead of forward

even if you want to say 4 downgrades, i dont see them as being significant enough to drastically effect win total
Born_Ready
Veteran
And1: 476

Post#106 » by Born_Ready » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:01 pm

Prokorov wrote:
enetric wrote:yeah if you are speaking about the pick swap then of course you are simply talking about end result to end result. But I took what you were saying as a comparison of this year's team to last year's team. And the bottom line is we got worse at four positions. so if I misread the angle of where you are coming from I apologize.

PG: id say at least a push unless dwill regresses, but im not sure how much he could even regress at this point

SG: anderson/brown instead of livingston/thornton. downgrade ill give, but again it seems small

SF: Johnson/Bogs/karasev instead of johnson/livingston?/anderson? is that a downgrade?

PF: Pierce/mirza/ak to mirza/ak/jefferson we cana ssume downgrade, but upgrade with mirza stepping up wouldnt suprise

C: KG/plumlee/blatche to KG/Plumlee. that is a downgrade, but is it an enormous one? KG declines plumlee is a year older. losing blatche stings but still a couple solid centers

At most ill give you 3 downgrades (SG/PF/C) but i think they are all minimal downgrades with the potential of even being upgrades. I think Center is the only position where we could really see a sizeable downgrade if both brook and KG are lost for the year and mason takes a step back instead of forward

even if you want to say 4 downgrades, i dont see them as being significant enough to drastically effect win total

BUT-- the team upgraded at the most important position of all- a real head coach.

I honestly hope Brook has put his injury proneness behind him and can finish out a successful career. I look at it from a standpoint that team can't be any worst a C than it already was.

Brook would be a substantial upgrade if he could play an entire season. Forcing KG to lower minutes as he should.

Mason Plumlee will only improve from his rook season in my opinion. I'm worried about the center position- but I'm more worried about the SG/SF position than anything. There isn't much quality depth there.

By the way- love the resigning of Anderson. I like his grit. These team will need that to play under Hollins.
OKC Thunder fan, too.
enetric
RealGM

Post#107 » by enetric » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:11 am

SpeedyG wrote:No worries man. Honestly, there's multiple threads that kind of overlap each other and its quite difficult to remember what exactly the conversation was. I have zero aspirations of a championship caliber team this year. At best, we're a 5 or 6th seed this year if things click (young guys step up, Lopez and Deron somewhat healthy). But I also don't believe in the doom and gloom that I've seen around here (especially after losing Pierce).

The only thing that would kill our chances is a significant injury to both Lopez and Deron.

I agree with all of that.

I do feel given health and age issues of our only 3 big men (too old, too young, too injury prone) that losing Blatche will hurt at some point. With all his negatives, overall for the price and role Blatche played he was a real steal for us.
enetric
RealGM

Post#108 » by enetric » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:20 am

Prokorov wrote:

I meant 4 roster spots.

Meaning until Jack proves he still has it...Livingston has the edge but this one is close.

Pierce gone Bogs in....would like to be surprised but roster wise have to consider that a big downgrade

Blatche will basically be replaced by a rookie or a vet minimum. This is a huge downgrade.

Thornton is currently significantly better than Karasev.

That'd all I meant. Without trying to work lineup angles just looking at like that. ..If it was a 4-4 trade we got smacked around. Team made money moves we got worse. Now we are hoping that we can make it up from within thus the lineup comparisons you and others are making.
enetric
RealGM

Post#109 » by enetric » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:26 am

beast m0de wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

BUT-- the team upgraded at the most important position of all- a real head coach.

I honestly hope Brook has put his injury proneness behind him and can finish out a successful career. I look at it from a standpoint that team can't be any worst a C than it already was.

Brook would be a substantial upgrade if he could play an entire season. Forcing KG to lower minutes as he should.

Mason Plumlee will only improve from his rook season in my opinion. I'm worried about the center position- but I'm more worried about the SG/SF position than anything. There isn't much quality depth there.

By the way- love the resigning of Anderson. I like his grit. These team will need that to play under Hollins.

I am disgusted how JKidd left and I feel insulted that he didn't value his franchise connection as in fan connection more than he did.

But objectively the guy had this team clicking for about 12 weeks with one of the best records in the league as of 1/1 and did so with our Best player in street clothes and the team star playing like crap.

Do I feel comforted to have a coach who got fired after a good season and couldn't get a job anywhere? No. I am in prove it to me mode.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#110 » by Prokorov » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:06 am

enetric wrote:I am disgusted how JKidd left and I feel insulted that he didn't value his franchise connection as in fan connection more than he did.

This really suprised you? he didnt value the fans or franchise as a player and left just as ungloriously as a player.

guy is a hall of fame d-bag. one of the biggest **** to ever player the game
enetric
RealGM

Post#111 » by enetric » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:33 am

I didn't say it surprised me. It disgusted me. I was with how he left as a player. He didn't bolt for San Antonio when his contract was up he signed long term and gave us the best years of his career. He knew when it was over and like most veterans wanted to have his shot at a title. It was time for him to move on and as it turned out he went to the right team. That's fine.

But he got the chance he got with us immediately after retirement...no coaching experience in great part because of what his name meant to the history of this franchise. His number retired. All the accolades that say...Welcome home. You are a favorite son of this team and it's fans.

We only know the rumors as to what happened behind the scenes. But it's clear that one year later he made a move so bold with such disregard for us that the out card was a lateral job change to ....Milwaukee????

I have always been a huge fan. No, not surprised but yeah....This stung.
SpeedyG
RealGM
And1: 1,310

Post#112 » by SpeedyG » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:12 pm

enetric wrote:
SpeedyG wrote:No worries man. Honestly, there's multiple threads that kind of overlap each other and its quite difficult to remember what exactly the conversation was. I have zero aspirations of a championship caliber team this year. At best, we're a 5 or 6th seed this year if things click (young guys step up, Lopez and Deron somewhat healthy). But I also don't believe in the doom and gloom that I've seen around here (especially after losing Pierce).

I do feel given health and age issues of our only 3 big men (too old, too young, too injury prone) that losing Blatche will hurt at some point. With all his negatives, overall for the price and role Blatche played he was a real steal for us.

Yeah I'm not really sure what happened with Dre. He was in the doghouse for awhile really, but if you look back at our best games, its typically when he was playing well. Go back to that initial stretch of games in that streak after Blatche came back from his mini-suspension. He was playing YOLO, but man he was making all kinds of shots.

And then when we were getting pounded by Toronto in the playoffs due to our lack of size? It was Blatche who played within himself and really helped us inside.

Not sure what he did behind closed doors that really made the team sour on him, or if its just strictly financial that we are not looking at him. But I do believe at one point or another this season, that we'd look back and think "man I wish we had some interior scoring from our bench bigs"
Bless the man if his heart and his land are one ~ FrancisM, R.I.P. 3/6/09
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#113 » by MGrand15 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:12 pm

SpeedyG wrote:
enetric wrote:

Yeah I'm not really sure what happened with Dre. He was in the doghouse for awhile really, but if you look back at our best games, its typically when he was playing well. Go back to that initial stretch of games in that streak after Blatche came back from his mini-suspension. He was playing YOLO, but man he was making all kinds of shots.

And then when we were getting pounded by Toronto in the playoffs due to our lack of size? It was Blatche who played within himself and really helped us inside.

Not sure what he did behind closed doors that really made the team sour on him, or if its just strictly financial that we are not looking at him. But I do believe at one point or another this season, that we'd look back and think "man I wish we had some interior scoring from our bench bigs"

Well, his suspension came because he was out of shape. This was in the middle of the season while he was playing 20+ mpg so his habits off the court must've been TERRIBLE. Add that to the sexual assault case + the fact that he'd be the 4th center on the team and he's significantly worse as a PF, I think it was an easy decision to let him go. I like him and think he'll do well if he goes to the right situation but this wasn't the spot for him.

You're right though - he was an underrated piece and was a huge reason we were able to survive KG missing games and Mason Plumlee hitting the rookie wall.

Return to Brooklyn Nets