ImageImageImageImageImage

Do you guys consider the Raptors a rival?

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Re: Do you guys consider the Raptors a rival? 

Post#21 » by Prokorov » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:50 pm

stanley14 wrote:Do you guys consider us a rival?

No... and i mean, why would we? You dont even play in this country, you never beat us, and we have a team 5 miles away that has been a legit rival since we came into the NBA
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#22 » by NyCeEvO » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:32 pm

Prokorov wrote:

No... and i mean, why would we? You dont even play in this country, you never beat us, and we have a team 5 miles away that has been a legit rival since we came into the NBA

What does playing within the same country have anything to do with the quality of a team or whether they can be a rival?
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#23 » by Prokorov » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:05 pm

NyCeEvO wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

What does playing within the same country have anything to do with the quality of a team or whether they can be a rival?

Proximity to your opponent is often a very big part of being a rival.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#24 » by Prokorov » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:05 pm

NyCeEvO wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

Proximity to your opponent is often a very big part of being a rival.
Ahmed1212
Senior
And1: 558

Post#25 » by Ahmed1212 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:40 pm

As a Raptor fan I don't think we can call it a rival until we actually beat them in the playoffs. So if we happen to face BK again this year in the PO and the Raptors eliminate the Nets I don't see how either fan base can deny there isn't a rivalry.
Micro SaaS founder. Help people grow their Twitter and LinkedIn accounts. Subscribe here, https://www.postlyynewsletter.com/ for free tips on creating engaging content on Twiter and LinkedIn.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#26 » by Paradise » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:03 pm

Ahmed1212 wrote:As a Raptor fan I don't think we can call it a rival until we actually beat them in the playoffs. So if we happen to face BK again this year in the PO and the Raptors eliminate the Nets I don't see how either fan base can deny there isn't a rivalry.

Even in that scenario, it wouldn't be a rivalry. We have nothing to hate the Raptors on unless they interfere with a championship run and we know this current team isn't that.

The Knicks are considered our rivals because of the long history going back to our ABA "New York Americans" days when the franchise initially began it was supposed to open in a different section of Manhattan. The Knicks/Nets had a territorial agreement. The Knicks backed out of the agreement a week before opening night and the Nets ended up scrambling to find a venue to play in and eventually moving all over NJ and the Nets never could establish itself.

The Nets decided to move to Nassau in Long Island, NY during the NBA-ABA merger. The Knicks filed a citation claiming the Nets were on NYC territory and had to pay a 4.8 million fine.

The Nets ended up selling the rights to Julius Erving to Philly due to that ridiculous fine and forced to move again to New Jersey and pay more fines after the Knicks filed another territory citation and had to start over with a long term rebuild in New Jersey. The Knicks have been a shady franchise ever since.

That's how a real rivalry starts.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#27 » by Prokorov » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:32 pm

Paradise wrote:
Ahmed1212 wrote:As a Raptor fan I don't think we can call it a rival until we actually beat them in the playoffs. So if we happen to face BK again this year in the PO and the Raptors eliminate the Nets I don't see how either fan base can deny there isn't a rivalry.

Even in that scenario, it wouldn't be a rivalry. We have nothing to hate the Raptors on unless they interfere with a championship run and we know this current team isn't that.

The Knicks are considered our rivals because of the long history going back to our ABA "New York Americans" days when the franchise initially began it was supposed to open in a different section of Manhattan. The Knicks/Nets had a territorial agreement. The Knicks backed out of the agreement a week before opening night and the Nets ended up scrambling to find a venue to play in and eventually moving all over NJ and the Nets never could establish itself.

The Nets decided to move to Nassau in Long Island, NY during the NBA-ABA merger. The Knicks filed a citation claiming the Nets were on NYC territory and had to pay a 4.8 million fine.

The Nets ended up selling the rights to Julius Erving to Philly due to that ridiculous fine and forced to move again to New Jersey and pay more fines after the Knicks filed another territory citation and had to start over with a long term rebuild in New Jersey. The Knicks have been a shady franchise ever since.

That's how a real rivalry starts.

exactly... a playoff history is part of a rivalry, but it really boils down to hate. there is insane hatred between the nets and knicks. when the knicks win, it bother me, when the knicks beat the nets, it ruins my day. just seeing their logo makes my stomach turn.

not only do i not hate the raptors, i actually like them and am a huge fan of lowry. the way SOME raps fans cried about the refs was annoying, but enough to make me hate the team and the players and the fanbase.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,883

Post#28 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:48 pm

Prokorov wrote:

This is like asking if your left foot considers an ant that is walking nearby it a "rival".
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe

Return to Brooklyn Nets