kerry kittles
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,198

Re: Re: Re: King recaps season with media 

Post#41 » by kerry kittles » Thu May 7, 2015 4:22 pm

Paradise wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
Paradise wrote:
Yeah, I am alarmed at the 'build' word in the same sentence with Thad. I like Thad and I would like him to be here but not on some 5 year deal. I just hopes he opts in and saves this bald idiot from himself.

I didn't take it that way. I think he means he doesn't believe in the blank canvas/pure cap idea. To me, he wants to establish a foundation instead of hoping we luck out in 2016. We would still have space to chase but probably with a couple key pieces here already. I'm guessing Brook, Markel, Bogey, Plumlee, Thad & our 2015 1st round pick.

It's not a bad idea on paper but it also truly requires Deron to be totally off our cap.

if he maxes out lopez, extends thad, that space is already very close to not being able to give even 1 max deal depending what he does with guys like mirza. and if he moves joe for someone signed longterm like rudy gay then we cant offer a max for sure

I don't think Mirza is coming back unless he accepts the qualifying offer. I hope King tries to revisit the Joe to Detroit deal.

Not as easy now, as Jerebko was a key ingredient in making the salaries work and he's now in Boston.

The original rumor deal was: Jennings, Butler, Jerebko, Anthony for Joe. Take out Jerebko and the salaries don't match. Plus Anthony is now off the books, he will have to be signed & traded and we can't accept players as we're projecting to be over the threshold.

We'd also have to find a home for Jack as it wouldn't make sense to have 3 point guards making a combined $34 million, half the cap, on the roster.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#42 » by Prokorov » Thu May 7, 2015 4:26 pm

Paradise wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
Paradise wrote:
Yeah, I am alarmed at the 'build' word in the same sentence with Thad. I like Thad and I would like him to be here but not on some 5 year deal. I just hopes he opts in and saves this bald idiot from himself.

I didn't take it that way. I think he means he doesn't believe in the blank canvas/pure cap idea. To me, he wants to establish a foundation instead of hoping we luck out in 2016. We would still have space to chase but probably with a couple key pieces here already. I'm guessing Brook, Markel, Bogey, Plumlee, Thad & our 2015 1st round pick.

It's not a bad idea on paper but it also truly requires Deron to be totally off our cap.

if he maxes out lopez, extends thad, that space is already very close to not being able to give even 1 max deal depending what he does with guys like mirza. and if he moves joe for someone signed longterm like rudy gay then we cant offer a max for sure

I don't think Mirza is coming back unless he accepts the qualifying offer. I hope King tries to revisit the Joe to Detroit deal.

which deal was that?
kerry kittles
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,198

Re: King recaps season with media 

Post#43 » by kerry kittles » Thu May 7, 2015 4:30 pm

NyCeEvO wrote:We're just going to have to wait and see what happens. This situation is still pretty fluid.

Imagine LMA leaving Portland to go to Dallas or San Antonio. Lopez could entertain the idea of getting max money, while playing on the same team as his brother and being closer to home. If Lopez goes, it doesn't sound like Thad wants to stay and I sure hope in that scenario King lets him go.

Then you're talking about a weird scenario in which you're forced into a rebuild because of the decisions of other players. JJ is not going to want to play on a team that is sure to be lotto-bound. If you send him away for pieces, you got D-Will, Jack, Bogs, Plumlee, guys from a JJ trade, and the young guys.

The first domino to fall will be Thad Young's decision to opt-in. The deadline for him is June 22.

We might as well sit back and just wait for 40+ days for something newsworthy to happen. Until Thad makes a decision, we'll be here speculating.

And if/when this happens you need to fire Billy King. Bring in Calipari next summer - give him full control and $75 million to play with.. If King gets extended before this summer it will be the lowest point for me as a Nets fan.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 37,592

Post#44 » by MrDollarBills » Thu May 7, 2015 4:37 pm

NyCeEvO wrote:
Dirk Nowitzki wrote:

This guy is a spin artist of the highest order. I don't know if the media has an opportunity to respond or ask a follow-up question but someone should've had the confidence to call him out and state the fact that HOU and the other teams all had draft picks, quality players, and expiring draft picks.

The local media doesn't give a **** ing **** about the Nets, because King wouldn't be able to get out of press conferences the way he has over the last few years with his lies, b.s. and spin.

If that was Phil Jackson saying that kind of half cocked bull ****, he'd be run out of town!!

The lack of accountability has also added to the issues. King and Deron have skated on by for god knows how long, if they were apart of the Knicks there would be blood in the streets.

Can you imagine if Carmelo pulled HALF of the **** that Deron has? Or if Jackson dared to use Houston as an example of what he plans on doing?

The Nets are lucky no one gives a rat's ass, but guess what? When those season ticket orders stop flowing in and those merchandise sales drop, the chickens will be coming home to roost...and then we'll see how much Mikhail's basketball dumb ass likes Billy King spending his money like a drunken US Navalman going door to door in the redlight district of South Korea.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#45 » by NyCeEvO » Thu May 7, 2015 4:49 pm

Paradise wrote:I don't think Mirza is coming back unless he accepts the qualifying offer. I hope King tries to revisit the Joe to Detroit deal.

I think most teams will consider Mirza a gamble considering his medical condition. Yes, he was cleared to return but he wasn't himself when he came back. It looked like he was just trying to take it easy out there and see if he can make some jumpshots because that's all he did out there.

I can see the Spurs offering him a 2yr deal with a TO for the 2nd year but not much more than that. I can definitely see Mirza taking the QO seeking to re-establish himself and earn a bigger payday in the 2016 offseason.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#46 » by Prokorov » Thu May 7, 2015 4:52 pm

NyCeEvO wrote:
Paradise wrote:I don't think Mirza is coming back unless he accepts the qualifying offer. I hope King tries to revisit the Joe to Detroit deal.

I think most teams will consider Mirza a gamble considering his medical condition. Yes, he was cleared to return but he wasn't himself when he came back. It looked like he was just trying to take it easy out there and see if he can make some jumpshots because that's all he did out there.

I can see the Spurs offering him a 2yr deal with a TO for the 2nd year but not much more than that. I can definitely see Mirza taking the QO seeking to re-establish himself and earn a bigger payday in the 2016 offseason.

even before the injury, mirza was pretty awful. a stretch 4 who doenst hits 3s or contribute much elsewhere likely doesnt have a ton of value
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets

Post#47 » by NyCeEvO » Thu May 7, 2015 5:01 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
The local media doesn't give a **** ing **** about the Nets, because King wouldn't be able to get out of press conferences the way he has over the last few years with his lies, b.s. and spin.

If that was Phil Jackson saying that kind of half cocked bull ****, he'd be run out of town!!

The lack of accountability has also added to the issues. King and Deron have skated on by for god knows how long, if they were apart of the Knicks there would be blood in the streets.

Can you imagine if Carmelo pulled HALF of the **** that Deron has? Or if Jackson dared to use Houston as an example of what he plans on doing?

The Nets are lucky no one gives a rat's ass, but guess what? When those season ticket orders stop flowing in and those merchandise sales drop, the chickens will be coming home to roost...and then we'll see how much Mikhail's basketball dumb ass likes Billy King spending his money like a drunken US Navalman going door to door in the redlight district of South Korea.

:lol:

That is true. The Nets don't warrant the same media coverage and don't have anywhere near the same attention as the Knicks do. I can only imagine if Isola covered the Nets. King would be eviscerated.

And the merchandise has already been dropping like crazy. They're not even in the top 10 in sales anymore after being at the top just after the move to Brooklyn. That should be a major signal to everyone that unless you've been in the big city market for years like the Knicks, you're not going to print money just because of your name. Barclays reps have already expressed disappointment and have pointed out that the performance of the team has led to a decline in their projected profits.

Prokhorov owns 80% of the team and 45% of the arena and is looking to monetize a minority of his assets so that he maintains a controlling interest. He can't hide the fact that no one has made serious offers. They don't want just a piece of his pie while he's still leaving the front office to run things down. If people are going to buy, they're going to want controlling interest so they can clean house and kick out Billy King.

I can't believe they still don't realize how much King has cost this franchise not just in player salaries but in present and future earnings from ticket sales and merchandise. Money seems to be only thing that gets Prok's attention and if he has no problem with the way things are being run, he needs to go.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets

Post#48 » by NyCeEvO » Thu May 7, 2015 6:29 pm

Prokorov wrote:
NyCeEvO wrote:We're just going to have to wait and see what happens. This situation is still pretty fluid.

Imagine LMA leaving Portland to go to Dallas or San Antonio. Lopez could entertain the idea of getting max money, while playing on the same team as his brother and being closer to home. If Lopez goes, it doesn't sound like Thad wants to stay and I sure hope in that scenario King lets him go.

Then you're talking about a weird scenario in which you're forced into a rebuild because of the decisions of other players. JJ is not going to want to play on a team that is sure to be lotto-bound. If you send him away for pieces, you got D-Will, Jack, Bogs, Plumlee, guys from a JJ trade, and the young guys.

The first domino to fall will be Thad Young's decision to opt-in. The deadline for him is June 22.

We might as well sit back and just wait for 40+ days for something newsworthy to happen. Until Thad makes a decision, we'll be here speculating.

we SHOULD be rebuilding. whether its a minor rebuid where you put your faith in lopez as the centerpiece or in a blow it up where you put your faith in being able to use your cap space to aquire picks and players via trade and free agency

there is no scenario where we shouldnt rebuild, and should roll over the majority of this core

So let's just say this scenario plays out.

Brook leaves, Thad leaves and the Nets are able to unload JJ which I don't think would really be that hard.

Do the Nets then turn around make an offer to guys like Monta Ellis, Brandon Knight, and Tobias Harris?
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Re: Re: King recaps season with media 

Post#49 » by Paradise » Thu May 7, 2015 6:52 pm

NyCeEvO wrote:So let's just say this scenario plays out.

Brook leaves, Thad leaves and the Nets are able to unload JJ which I don't think would really be that hard.

Do the Nets then turn around make an offer to guys like Monta Ellis, Brandon Knight, and Tobias Harris?

I can definitely see us offering Ellis a deal. I don't think King would bother with any Restricted FAs unless it's Jimmy Butler or Green.
SIC
Senior
And1: 208

Post#50 » by SIC » Thu May 7, 2015 6:56 pm

NyCeEvO wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

we SHOULD be rebuilding. whether its a minor rebuid where you put your faith in lopez as the centerpiece or in a blow it up where you put your faith in being able to use your cap space to aquire picks and players via trade and free agency

there is no scenario where we shouldnt rebuild, and should roll over the majority of this core

So let's just say this scenario plays out.

I really hope NOT.

To get those guys we have to OVERPAY. That isnt a solution.

I agree with BKing making Lopez the MAIN objective this off season. Thad is only an option if he is willing to take his fair market value.

Now that you have Brook and Thad locked. Like you said, JJ is the easiest piece to move. I think DET is still a player because with Jackson, KCP and Drummond as their young core MAYBE they would want a productive VET like JJ to help push for a playoff spot next year. Jennings, Butler(Contract seems not fully guaranteed), and Tolliver(Contract seems NOT fully guaranteed). That would be fine with me. Cut Butler and even Tolliver for all I care. Jennings is on his last year of his contract and could then be moved at Trade deadline. IF that doesnt work, send JJ to another team for anything but long term contracts.

I wont be naive to think that DWill will get traded. If BKing can get a deal done, He shouldnt even think twice, but I doubt it happens. To tell you the truth, if BKing can get rid of JJ, Two years of DWill would be fine with me because I dont expect DWill to be ALL Star anymore. He needs to really clear his head. He needs to shoot the ball better but I AM NOT expecting DWill to average more than 15pts. DWill can still run the offense and plays decent defense. NOT good or great. Dwill also plays BETTER with younger guys that run the floor and that are athletic.

If Nets are going to go after any FAs, I think they should target KJ McDaniels, Aminu, and/or Mbah a Moute.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#51 » by Prokorov » Thu May 7, 2015 8:13 pm

NyCeEvO wrote:So let's just say this scenario plays out.

there is no reason to unload johnson, just let him expire.

we couldnt sign any of those guys. and if we could I certainly would not entertain going after any of the 3 guys you mentioned, all tie up 16-17 cap room and none of them are guys id want long term. but thats kind of irrelevant since we wouldnt be under the cap to sign those guys.

if wwe didnt sign brook/thad/mirza we would be at about 60 million, 6M under the cap

I'd see what i could get on 1 year money. sign guys to 1 year deals. I'd look at gerald green. id be happy giving him a 2 year/12M contract with year 2 being a team option. nice raise for him, comes back here where he did well and has a chance to put up big numbers since it wont be about winning so much and can rasie his stock for when the cap bumps up to 88M.

Deron | Brown | Green | Johnson | Plumlee
Jack | Karasev | Bogs | CJ | Jordan | ROOKIE

maybe boos tplumlees value as he stat pads in an uptemp system. go back to going small with shooting and get 3 great athletes in the lineup. give the fans a bunch of dunkers to at least make it somewhat entertaining

at years end you let JJ come off the books, stretch dwill, have an option on gerald green really cheap, whatever rookie we draft, and plumlee or w hatever we get for him. 2016 would then look like this:

Bogs - 3.5M
Green - 6M (option)
Plumlee - 2.3M
Karasev - 2.4m (option)
Brown - 1.1M
Jefferson - 1.1M
ROOKIE - 1.3 M
Stretched dwill cap hit -7M

Thats 17.7M committed salary on 7 players. we would then be charged for 5 cap holds for a total of about 3.8M

total: 21.5 M

we could then add roughly 3 max contracts and would have all young guys and green. a bunch of athletes on small contracts. if free agency didnt work out we could trade some of the cap space for draft picks and wait a year for 17 free agency (wetbrook among others)

Return to Brooklyn Nets