ImageImageImageImageImage

Billy King what are you doing

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

kamaze
General Manager
And1: 1,315

Billy King what are you doing 

Post#1 » by kamaze » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:21 pm

Billy swapped picks with ATL to bring in Joe Johnson so Brooklyn gets #29 instead of 15 tough pill to swallow but ok.
Bird brain decides we'll get into the lottery by trading the team's best athlete Plumlee just making a bad situation even worse.

I hear there's interest in Sasha Kahn 30 year old center who played for Kansas guess he'd be Plumlee's replacement but the Cavs own his draft rights...Bird brain would have to give up something for his rights AND since he was a 2nd round pick dip into the MLE to pay him.

Year after year the roster gets worse because of a bad GM.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Re: Billy King what are you doing 

Post#2 » by Paradise » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:42 pm

Everyone from 10 to 15 in this draft are all better long term prospects than Plumlee but I get your point.

Everyone is now starting to see the things we've been saying since the details of the Johnson trade became public. It was a horrific overpay for a salary dump.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#3 » by CalamityX12 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:54 pm

let everyone start catching up...

people(outsiders) realizing this will soon see the nightmare that is the boston trade.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#4 » by Prokorov » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:55 pm

kamaze wrote:Billy swapped picks with ATL to bring in Joe Johnson so Brooklyn gets #29 instead of 15 tough pill to swallow but ok.
Bird brain decides we'll get into the lottery by trading the team's best athlete Plumlee just making a bad situation even worse.

I hear there's interest in Sasha Kahn 30 year old center who played for Kansas guess he'd be Plumlee's replacement but the Cavs own his draft rights...Bird brain would have to give up something for his rights AND since he was a 2nd round pick dip into the MLE to pay him.

Year after year the roster gets worse because of a bad GM.

Plumlee being traded is irrelevant. im one of the guys bigger supporters on the board be he isnt someone who is going to turn this franchsie around. i think he can start on a good team, but a role player on a very good team, but if you can use him to move up in the lottery that is a great trade and excellent value.

Joe Johnson trade was years ago, that was a pretty bad overpay, but you dont take that into account for future moves. you move on from it. as far as Kahn, if the cost is low you make the move. you need some upside picks and the only way to do that with our lack of assets is on older guys injured guys or guys with checkered pasts
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#5 » by Prokorov » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:01 pm

CalamityX12 wrote:let everyone start catching up...

people(outsiders) realizing this will soon see the nightmare that is the boston trade.

Boston Trade wasnt a nightmare. I sitll make that trade right now 100 times out of 100

-The Wallace Trade was by far worse
-The Johnson Trade was worse
-and if viewing both trades in hindsight, the dwill trade was worse.

We added KG and Pierce to a 49 win team with weak spots at SF and PF. and even when lopez went down, those 2 led us towards the most success we have had in brooklyn and the most success in a decade since kidd was a player and not a coach.

What exactly did we give up/vs get long term:

We Gave up:
James Young
2016 first
2018 first
*potentially swap 2017 picks.

We Gained:
10 million in cap room in 16-17 offseason (wallace deal ran a year longer then anyone we took on.

To me thats a good move for us, and more importantly a move we HAD to make. we maxmized a roster we were locked into as well as giving us an out in 16-17 free agency by clearing wallace from the books allowing max cap room.

rwallace was owed 3/30. that alone was worth a pick + pick swap to get rid off.

pierce/KG were worth young/first.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#6 » by NyCeEvO » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:10 pm

What can he do?

He has almost no assets. We have a GM who wasted and overpaid in the majority of the big deals he's done. Now we're expecting him to turn a dime into a dollar?

I think the front office is decent at talent evaluation. But when it comes to being a shrewd and savvy GM, he is dead last in the league.

If you don't expect much from him, it'll save you some frustration lol.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,885

Post#7 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:25 pm

Prok the fact that he had to include extra swaps/pick just to get rid of a player we shouldn't have traded for or signed to that deal in the first place is DAMNING.

I can swallow giving up Young/2016 1st but after that that's when the Boston trade looks horrifying especially with no protections on anything.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#8 » by Prokorov » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:51 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:Prok the fact that he had to include extra swaps/pick just to get rid of a player we shouldn't have traded for or signed to that deal in the first place is DAMNING.

I can swallow giving up Young/2016 1st but after that that's when the Boston trade looks horrifying especially with no protections on anything.

young/1st to get rid of wallace is good value

the other pick plus pick swap for a rental of KG/pierce is also good value.

the wallace trade has no bearing. the wallace trade was terrible, that doesnt mean that the celtics trade was. wallace was a bad asset, we got rid of it, that was a good thing.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#9 » by CalamityX12 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:45 pm

yet what do we have to show now... names aside, its a foolish haul to give away for such aging stars... its not like they were still sharp or left off playing top ball the season before...

KG was my only wish, but we got those three and right now, nothing to show.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#10 » by Prokorov » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:51 pm

CalamityX12 wrote:yet what do we have to show now... names aside, its a foolish haul to give away for such aging stars... its not like they were still sharp or left off playing top ball the season before...

We have a streak of playoff apperances to show for it. We have 10M in extra cap space in 16-17 to show for it. to me those are both enormous things.

what do the celtics have to show for it so far? 10M less in cap space and james young.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,885

Post#11 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:48 pm

The Celtics are a better team than we are -right now-, they have assets and room to build/make moves. We have jack **** to show for any of that. I can't spin the Celtics trade as anything but a disaster.

The fact that we had to give up assets to get rid of wallace is not good. There's nothing remotely positive about that.

Boston will also be getting a lottery pick next season from us. This is all a righteous disaster.
kamaze
General Manager
And1: 1,315

Post#12 » by kamaze » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:08 am

At least they chose who they were expected to nobody better fell to 29. Billy still sucks
thekorean
Ballboy
And1: 14

Post#13 » by thekorean » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:00 am

MrDollarBills wrote:The Celtics are a better team than we are -right now-, they have assets and room to build/make moves. We have jack **** to show for any of that. I can't spin the Celtics trade as anything but a disaster.

The fact that we had to give up assets to get rid of wallace is not good. There's nothing remotely positive about that.

Boston will also be getting a lottery pick next season from us. This is all a righteous disaster.

Yup.

But didn't Prok force Billy King to make the PP/KG trade?
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Re: Re: Billy King what are you doing 

Post#14 » by Paradise » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:07 am

thekorean wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:The Celtics are a better team than we are -right now-, they have assets and room to build/make moves. We have jack **** to show for any of that. I can't spin the Celtics trade as anything but a disaster.

Yup.

But didn't Prok force Billy King to make the PP/KG trade?

Nope. He just signed off on it.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,888

Post#15 » by Hello Brooklyn » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:27 am

I agree the Boston trade was a trade that we probably should have made at the time. KG and Pierce really did help us become competitive, and nobody say D-Will playing like **** for another year.

Im pretty sure that was the year he come off the half season where he just went crazy and played like an all-star. Had something like 5 straight 30 point games.

Everyone assumed Lopez would be healthy too.

I think the Wallace trade was the worst thing ever. And Johnson trade was (Please Use More Appropriate Word). Why on Earth did we throw in pick swaps?
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#16 » by Prokorov » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:55 pm

CalamityX12 wrote:yet what do we have to show now... names aside, its a foolish haul to give away for such aging stars... its not like they were still sharp or left off playing top ball the season before...

We were a 49 win team with crap at SF/PF and just added 2 veteran PF/SF... one who was an excellent 3 point shooter and the other one of the best mid range shooter sin the league ... and we were crying about "spacing" all year with wallace having no range and evans being a zero offensively.

on a team with no shot to add talent in FA for 3 years, that wasnt just a necessary move, it was the only move and a great move. You cant anticipate lopez going down for the season. you cant anticipate dwill declining from a 20/9 second half player to a 13/6 player the next 2 seaons.

leadership was also a MAJOR issue. we got to GOAT leaders. and you cant anticipate the culture being so bad here that even with KG/Pierce for the most part it was them being dragged down to discouraged poor effort then the others being elevated to inspired quality effort.

EVERYTHING that could of went wrong did, and because of that trade we STILL got 2 playoff apperanes and a out fo the first round for the first time in a decade.

also, you cant judge the trade and not factor in we gained 10M in cap room in 16-17.

you cant judge the trade and not factor in james young has done nothing has lost some favor in boston and is at best a long term project.

to me, unless the 16 or 18 pick turns out to be a multi time all-star, the trade is a win for us.

if you use hindsight its a no brainer. Bill Simmons is the biggest celtics homer and subsequent nets hater and look at his reaction to the trade,
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#17 » by Prokorov » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:00 pm

1) them being better then us right now doesnt really have much to do with the trade though. James young hasnt helped them. They are better then us RIGHT NOW because lopez is extremely inconsistent, dwill has regressed to a below avg point gaurd, JJis too old and wore down to carry a team and all of our role and bench players stink. and on top of it no one plays with any effort.

little/none of that has anything to do with the trade.

2) Moving gerald wallaces contract was HUGE. you want to build around brook lopez, well guess what move allowed you to add a max free agent to him in 16-17. the move that took wallaces 10M off the books. it doesnt matter that we made a horrible trade to get wallace in the first place, the fact that we could move him is still 100% a good thing. would you rather he still be here? no, of course not. then it was a good thing we could move him.

balme the portland wallace trade or criticize kings body of work. but moving wallaces contract in that SPECIFIC trade was 10000% a good thing
enetric
RealGM
And1: 169

Post#18 » by enetric » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:57 pm

Prokorov wrote:
CalamityX12 wrote:let everyone start catching up...

Boston Trade wasnt a nightmare. I sitll make that trade right now 100 times out of 100

-The Wallace Trade was by far worse
-The Johnson Trade was worse
-and if viewing both trades in hindsight, the dwill trade was worse.

We added KG and Pierce to a 49 win team with weak spots at SF and PF. and even when lopez went down, those 2 led us towards the most success we have had in brooklyn and the most success in a decade since kidd was a player and not a coach.

What exactly did we give up/vs get long term:

We Gave up:
James Young
2016 first
2018 first
*potentially swap 2017 picks.

We Gained:
10 million in cap room in 16-17 offseason (wallace deal ran a year longer then anyone we took on.

To me thats a good move for us, and more importantly a move we HAD to make. we maxmized a roster we were locked into as well as giving us an out in 16-17 free agency by clearing wallace from the books allowing max cap room.

rwallace was owed 3/30. that alone was worth a pick + pick swap to get rid off.

pierce/KG were worth young/first.

I agree. And I will say this to all the whiners.

Had we surrendered a lottery pick this year for JJ it would be worth complaining about. But the fact that we made the playoffs 3 years in a row and JJ was an all star twice it isn't a big deal having to swap a 15 pick for a 29 in a 10 player deep draft.

That trade sounded like this big overpay when we heard the details way after the fact...but in the end it wasn't.

Again this trade comes back to Dwill too. Had he been the guy we thought we had we should have had a better record this year thus no pick swap.

Beyond that the only thing I can really go nuts about from King is Crash for an unprorected lottery pick that turned out to be a star PG better than the one we were building around.

And that should be the comparison years later. Not hey we gave up this asset for a salary dump. It's hey we gave up a number 15 for JJ and the 29 vs. Damian Lillard for Wallace!!!!

In the end the JJ trade was good for both teams. Time to stop whining about it.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#19 » by Prokorov » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:15 pm

enetric wrote:
I agree. And I will say this to all the whiners.

Had we surrendered a lottery pick this year for JJ it would be worth complaining about. But the fact that we made the playoffs 3 years in a row and JJ was an all star twice it isn't a big deal having to swap a 15 pick for a 29 in a 10 player deep draft.

That trade sounded like this big overpay when we heard the details way after the fact...but in the end it wasn't.

Again this trade comes back to Dwill too. Had he been the guy we thought we had we should have had a better record this year thus no pick swap.

Beyond that the only thing I can really go nuts about from King is Crash for an unprorected lottery pick that turned out to be a star PG better than the one we were building around.

And that should be the comparison years later. Not hey we gave up this asset for a salary dump. It's hey we gave up a number 15 for JJ and the 29 vs. Damian Lillard for Wallace!!!!

In the end the JJ trade was good for both teams. Time to stop whining about it.

To me you view the JJ/Dwill trades like this:

The dwill trade, we probably overpaid a tad but it was still the right move and a trade we had to make. the player was the right player to take on, we need a legit top 15 player and we got one. his demise could not be forsee.

The JJ trade we definitely overpaid on. but to me the overpayis more annoying king adding value when he doesnt have to then the real problem. my bigger issue with the JJ trade was that it kind of put the final nail in the dwight coffin. but when you factor in the franchise wasnt going to brooklyn with a team that wasnt a lock to make the playoffs, the JJ move was probably the right one.

The celtics trade was a great trade for us, given the situation. we were actually lucky to have gotten that opportunity at that time.
enetric
RealGM
And1: 169

Post#20 » by enetric » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:21 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:Prok the fact that he had to include extra swaps/pick just to get rid of a player we shouldn't have traded for or signed to that deal in the first place is DAMNING.

There is no question the Boston trade was an overpay vs. how it turned out. But what if Dwill was Chris Paul level the last 3 years. If Lopez hadn't gotten hurt for a full season after we became playoff relevant? Had that happened, PP doesn't get dumped and you have these guys together for two seasons all hands on deck. That's a team that should have made the conference finals.

It would be easier to digest.

You know what makes me laugh? I think about Bill Simmons crying on draft night how bad that trade was for Boston. All night long he whined sitting at the desk. And for the next few days everyone here rejoiced at that trade. WE ALL loved it.

Now the party is over and it all the pieces didn't come together. PP publicly told us all why. The bill is due and people can't stop whining about it.

A 3 possibly 4 year playoff window is what we got for all these moves. When we first traded for Dwill I was on the board preaching I would have preferred to slow build through the draft. I predicted the type of future selling moves that would follow. But this board was hungry for playoff relevance.

Well people you got the puppy you begged for on Christmas morning. And now he poops all over the house. You got what you asked for. Now deal with the mess.

To me, the issue starts now. Not worried about picks and pick swaps. Now it's about cap space. That's the out to rebuild. Will he get it right?

Return to Brooklyn Nets