Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,883

Re: 2015 Brooklyn Nets Offseason Thread II 

Post#2241 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:30 pm

yeah.

http://vorped.com/1-nba/2014-2015/player/1017/jarrett-jack/shotchart/

On possessions where Johnson is the primary ball handler, Jack should be going to either corner, where he shot above 40% and above on either side.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Lamak
Assistant Coach
And1: 704

Post#2242 » by Lamak » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:39 pm

Just saw the Chris McCullough video and I have to say I am impressed with his fluid jumper. Seems like a Blatche or Aldridge type of player. Going from thinking he going to be out all year to him being able to practive and more seems like a great move by the our FO.
Brooklyn Nets
jbeachboy
Assistant Coach
And1: 359

Post#2243 » by jbeachboy » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:09 pm

CalamityX12 wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
CalamityX12 wrote:I'm fine with no moves until mid season unless an injury forces our hand.

Lets see what we got, generally speaking we're looking at Jack, Bogs, JJ, TY n Lopez as starters right?

i dont know that that is looking good. to me jack isnt a starter and bogs and thad are low level starters more suited as super subs.

i do agree we dont need to add more guys, need to see what we have first and who we can dump at the deadline. better dealing to a team when they get an injury and we can take advantage or a team looking to stay playoff relevant

Jack is our starter by default and Bogs, whom I agree with about being a super sub, i'm getting mix readins from here and there about his role, is coming off the bench or starting? I rather he comes off as that super sub to provide balance.
Maybe Ellington can be that starting 2 or move RHJ there n play with 2 3s?

id like bogs to start at 2 guard since he is more upside and potential than ellington as far as both too, ellington doesnt have defensive potential that bogs and brown does

rhj is a small forward until his jumper and offensive game become good enough to play 2 guard
jbeachboy
Assistant Coach
And1: 359

Post#2244 » by jbeachboy » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:11 pm

Lamak wrote:Just saw the Chris McCullough video and I have to say I am impressed with his fluid jumper. Seems like a Blatche or Aldridge type of player. Going from thinking he going to be out all year to him being able to practive and more seems like a great move by the our FO.

mccullough is expected to play around in january for the nets, they dont want him to sit out the whole year if he is cleared to play since he missed alot of time
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#2245 » by Prokorov » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:13 pm

jbeachboy wrote:
CalamityX12 wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
i dont know that that is looking good. to me jack isnt a starter and bogs and thad are low level starters more suited as super subs.

i do agree we dont need to add more guys, need to see what we have first and who we can dump at the deadline. better dealing to a team when they get an injury and we can take advantage or a team looking to stay playoff relevant

Jack is our starter by default and Bogs, whom I agree with about being a super sub, i'm getting mix readins from here and there about his role, is coming off the bench or starting? I rather he comes off as that super sub to provide balance.
Maybe Ellington can be that starting 2 or move RHJ there n play with 2 3s?

id like bogs to start at 2 guard since he is more upside and potential than ellington as far as both too, ellington doesnt have defensive potential that bogs and brown does

rhj is a small forward until his jumper and offensive game become good enough to play 2 guard

i think ellington is pretty far ahead of bogs defensively. he is solid on that end of the floor.

as far as RHJ, i dont think it really matters if he plays the 2 or the 3.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#2246 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:27 pm

Yea, I don't have the numbers but I've read that Ellington is a middle to lower tier "3 and D" player. I expect him to get a ton of time here, he's a professional and shows up to play from what other fans have said.

Prokorov
RealGM

Post#2247 » by Prokorov » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:42 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:Yea, I don't have the numbers but I've read that Ellington is a middle to lower tier "3 and D" player. I expect him to get a ton of time here, he's a professional and shows up to play from what other fans have said.

He is, but he is like joe in that he kind of disappears when he doesnt get volume touches or get to be aggressive. he will have a much different role here then he had with LA... which should be fine if he embraces a bench scoring role and we dont try and piegonhole him into a catch and shoot player
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#2248 » by vincecarter4pres » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:39 pm

This team is going to be tough to watch without a real point guard.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#2249 » by NyCeEvO » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:30 am

MrDollarBills wrote:yeah.

On possessions where Johnson is the primary ball handler, Jack should be going to either corner, where he shot above 40% and above on either side.

He only took 17 shots in the right corner and 30 shots from the left. While the sample size is large enough to show he's NOT dreadful from either side, it's far from conclusive that it should be a preferred shot for him.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#2250 » by Prokorov » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:40 am

NyCeEvO wrote:

He only took 17 shots in the right corner and 30 shots from the left. While the sample size is large enough to show he's dreadful from either side, it's far from conclusive that it should be a preferred shot for him.

"dreadful from either side?"

53% from the right corner, 40% from the left. im not sure how that qualifies as dreadful.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets

Post#2251 » by NyCeEvO » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:43 am

Prokorov wrote:
NyCeEvO wrote:

He only took 17 shots in the right corner and 30 shots from the left. While the sample size is large enough to show he's dreadful from either side, it's far from conclusive that it should be a preferred shot for him.

53% from the right corner, 40% from the left. im not sure how that qualifies as dreadful.

Edited the post.

If you caught the main drift of the post, you could tell that the dependent clause was contrasted from the main independent clause. I just forgot to put "not" in the first one.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#2252 » by Prokorov » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:53 am

NyCeEvO wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
NyCeEvO wrote:He only took 17 shots in the right corner and 30 shots from the left. While the sample size is large enough to show he's dreadful from either side, it's far from conclusive that it should be a preferred shot for him.

Edited the post.

If you caught the main drift of the post, you could tell that the dependent clause was contrasted from the main independent clause. I just forgot to put "not" in the first one.

huh?

im just gonna go ahead and assume i missed something obvious and im a dunce. :)
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#2253 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:27 pm

NyCeEvO wrote:

He only took 17 shots in the right corner and 30 shots from the left. While the sample size is large enough to show he's NOT dreadful from either side, it's far from conclusive that it should be a preferred shot for him.

Compared to the bricks that he fired from the elbows and top of the 3 pt arc I'll roll the dice, BUT I agree that the sample size is small. Does anyone know how to pull up career shot charts???

Either way, the team has to maximize all strengths. Joe's playmaking has to be a factor this season and that means Jack will have to play off of the ball at times.

Net Sentence
Veteran
And1: 334

Post#2254 » by Net Sentence » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:42 am

Bogs scored 21 of Croatia's 66 points in their 66-63 win vs Estonia. He is by far their best player and leads them in scoring. He is going to be very good this year. Look at how good of shape he is in:

Look at that tricep and rear delt definition.

He is a 6'8'' SG who can score a number of ways. He shot 71% at the rim, which was best on the team. He can post up or face the basket. He is the most underrated Nets rookie I can remember. Bogs has All-Star level upside.
Net Sentence
Veteran

Post#2255 » by Net Sentence » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:45 am

NyCeEvO wrote:

Thats a third of his 3pt attempts and he was well over 40% the previous 2 seasons as well.

Stop Hating!!!!!
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#2256 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:26 pm

^^do you know where I can go to pull up a career shot chart, or shot charts from previous years?

Net Sentence
Veteran

Post#2257 » by Net Sentence » Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:15 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:^^do you know where I can go to pull up a career shot chart, or shot charts from previous years?

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/jackja01.html

I dont know where to get that but you can get his corner 3pt% from here. He is a career 39.9% shooter on corner 3s.

With the way Bogs is playing for Croatia we can have him run the pick and roll and put jack in the corner.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets

Post#2258 » by NyCeEvO » Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:45 pm

Net Sentence wrote:
NyCeEvO wrote:

Thats a third of his 3pt attempts and he was well over 40% the previous 2 seasons as well.

Stop Hating!!!!!

Ah yes...anyone who doesn't praise and worship the players are haters.

It's called observation and analysis. You're acting as if Jack is bombing away from deep and making it on a consistent basis. Yes, he does shoot a higher percentage from the corners but those zones are also the ones where he has the fewest 3pt FGAs.

He takes more 3s from the top left, middle, and top right 3pt zones than in either of the corner zones and his percentage drops tremendously when he does.

This isn't practice where Jack just shoots off of a rack. These are live games. They're not going to run sets just so Jack can get to the corners and take 3s. Considering that the fewest of his 3pt attempts come from these areas, it's a tell-tale sign that these don't come on a regular basis.

The corner 3s are closer to the basket than the other aforementioned 3pt zones. Jack can hit the long two, especially from the right side at the top of the key quite well. It makes sense why he's better at the corners; it's closer to the basket. Many other players who shoot the long 2 at a decent clip step out to the corners (e.g. Shane Battier, Chris Bosh, Lamarcus Aldridge, et al).

No one's hating. It's just few of us aren't buying your oversimplified narrative of how everything is great and the Nets can easily be a playoff team. You reduce the complexities and nuances of NBA basketball into nice platitudes that almost always work in favor of the Nets. We're just not buying your method of evaluation.
croat25
Sophomore
And1: 92

Post#2259 » by croat25 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:09 pm

Net Sentence wrote:Bogs scored 21 of Croatia's 66 points in their 66-63 win vs Estonia. He is by far their best player and leads them in scoring. He is going to be very good this year.

Hi there Nets fans. I have to agree that Bojan is definitely out best player and I expect only better from him in future. He s usually at 20+ points average in pre Euro basket phase. We all believe he can lead Croatia in winning a medal. He got so much more strenght and body in past year and so and became more versatile with his post up plays not only shooting. Hopefully he will become more agressive and attack the rim more often.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#2260 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:52 pm

If he's been shooting a high % for his career from the corner, and there are times where it would serve better to have him off of the ball and let Johnson initiate the offense, why not have him cut to a corner to where he is most effective?

Return to Brooklyn Nets