Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Re: Rondae Hollis-Jefferson Official Thread 

Post#301 » by Prokorov » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:09 pm

Paradise wrote:
NyCeEvO wrote:I think his offensive ability will look
It takes much longer to display improved offensive skills in game than just after a few weeks of working with a shooting coach.

First of all, NBA teams don't really have that many practices during the season. You need constant reps every day, multiple times per day, for a few months, and going faster than game speed in order to see a marked improvement. RHJ's offensive game is only going to improve when he's able to go through shooting drills at 100% speed and practicing 100s of jumpers coming off of V-cuts, L-cuts, free throw line pull-up jumpers, and many other shot types.

Remember how Lopez was supposed to implement the 3pt shot into his game this season because that's what he worked on during the summer? He doesn't use it because the game setting requires you to be locked in and moving way faster than most players do in practice. That's why Dwight can shoot 80+% from the free throw line in practice or even why Curry can hit 70+ straight threes in practice but they can't do it in a game. Everything you see done in a game is what players are comfortable doing at lightning speed even though they can do way more things in practice.

He will come back and be just as bad as he was before. The shooting coach is probably going to completely tear down RHJ's shooting form and then build it back up into a much better form. Getting rid of bad shooting habits takes weeks alone. Building it back up with a better form takes several weeks. And that's all before he reaches the ability to shoot decently from a few spots on the floor.

I'm not talking about showing off an improved jump shot or offensive skill set. I'm talking about a boost in confidence and aggressiveness to play through mistakes instead of having a stubborn old man waiting to sub you out. At one point, he was knocking down two mid-range jumpers per game. I expect that to be the case coming back along with more polish around the paint.

i dont think any of his issues had to do with confidence. i think it all stems from him lacking several offensive skills. he was the same at arizona. an athlete and defensive stud. its whay he was taken 21st and not top 10
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 37,401

Post#302 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:34 pm

I don't really see the point of this debate. He's very young, but the guy is going to work, and he'll improve as a player, to what extent is the question. If he can at least become a contributor on offense by knocking down wide open shots its a start.

The fact that is already grading out to be an A tier defender is a good start. One thing at a time here.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
shakendfries
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,063

Post#303 » by shakendfries » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:17 pm

The development of a player like Giannis Antentokoumpo should give hope to Nets fans for RHJ's development

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pl6B5Y4I8aQ[/youtube]

Pay attention to the commentary in the video starting at 0:50. If RHJ can find a role driving/penetrating and getting to the rim, cutting to the basket, passing if the defense collapses, while continuing to play good defense + hitting an occasional jumpshot, he'll be well-rounded enough on both ends of the court. He's already got skills passing & moving off the ball, he just needs to be able to space the floor enough to keep the defense honest
ImageImage

"Kevin Durant is not coming to the Nets. If I'm wrong, I will change my avatar to anything you request no matter how humiliating it is." - MrDollarBills, 10/22/18
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#304 » by Prokorov » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:48 pm

[quote="MrDollarBills"]I don't really see the point of this debate. He's very young, but the guy is going to work, and he'll improve as a player, to what extent is the question. If he can at least become a contributor on offense by knocking down wide open shots its a start.

The fact that is already grading out to be an A tier defender is a good start. One thing at a time here.[/quote
my point is him having a better jumper isnt even 50% of his offensive issues. to me he doesnt even possess basic offensive skills like being able to use both hands, drive both sides of the floor, his footwork is really bad. he doesnt know how to get the ball to the rim when he is in the paint.

basically he is just a really fast athletic guy, but with no real basketball skills. i think it is being underestimated how hard it is to go from that to where he needs to be. just throwing up a ton of jumpers dont fix all that other stuff. to me he needs to be working on those other things even moreso then a jumper. right now you can take 1/2 the floor away from him and dont need to help when he gets in the paint. even if he had a jumper, the only time you need ot gaurd him is when he is in the corner

you know how many fans know are saying "he is working on his shooting, once he improves from 3 he will be really good" and using the rationale "he is young" as to why that guy will become a solid offensive player/shooter? every fan of every team.

RHJ should be on the floor regardless since he brings so many things outside of offense. but he has a LONG way to go in more then just shooting.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#305 » by Prokorov » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:51 pm

shakendfries wrote:The development of a player like Giannis Antentokoumpo should give hope to Nets fans for RHJ's development

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pl6B5Y4I8aQ[/youtube]

Pay attention to the commentary in the video starting at 0:50. If RHJ can find a role driving/penetrating and getting to the rim, cutting to the basket, passing if the defense collapses, while continuing to play good defense + hitting an occasional jumpshot, he'll be well-rounded enough on both ends of the court. He's already got skills passing & moving off the ball, he just needs to be able to space the floor enough to keep the defense honest

giannis is insanely skilled and has great handle for a guy his size. basically the opposite of RHJ, whose biggest issue is his ball handling and being able to go right. giannis was skilled offensively from the get go

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoOCbjTY2Qg[/youtube]
jbeachboy
Assistant Coach
And1: 359

Post#306 » by jbeachboy » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:56 pm

rondae has been impressive and even his offense is coming around, he can change the game without scoring and he got more confident as games went on.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#307 » by Prokorov » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:57 pm

jbeachboy wrote:rondae has been impressive and even his offense is coming around, he can change the game without scoring and he got more confident as games went on.

yeah, he has alot of tony allen in him. even if his offense isnt there he can really help you
jbeachboy
Assistant Coach

Post#308 » by jbeachboy » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:16 pm

he looked more and more confident as he became a starter and knew his role. he was even being more aggressive on offense.
BadWolf
General Manager
And1: 3,246

Post#309 » by BadWolf » Sat Feb 6, 2016 6:38 pm

Any news about his progress? He's supposed to come back mid february, which is just around the corner
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#310 » by NyCeEvO » Sat Feb 6, 2016 6:49 pm

BadWolf wrote:Any news about his progress? He's supposed to come back mid february, which is just around the corner

Nothing concrete. He'll be back sometime after the allstar break.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#311 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Feb 6, 2016 8:45 pm

NyCeEvO wrote:
BadWolf wrote:Any news about his progress? He's supposed to come back mid february, which is just around the corner

RHJ is pretty much my favorite player on the team right now. Maximum effort. Doesn't force the issue. 100% commitment at all times on the floor.

NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets

Re: RE: Re: Rondae Hollis-Jefferson Official Thread 

Post#312 » by NyCeEvO » Sat Feb 6, 2016 10:48 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
NyCeEvO wrote:

RHJ is pretty much my favorite player on the team right now. Maximum effort. Doesn't force the issue. 100% commitment at all times on the floor.

Actually Mike Mazzeo is reporting anywhere from right after the allstar break to the beginning of March.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#313 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Feb 7, 2016 5:23 am

doesn't matter to me. when he's okay to play, i'll watch a full game from this team.

not a minute sooner!!!

SpiderMunn
Starter
And1: 5,507

Post#314 » by SpiderMunn » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:43 pm

Feb 18th: Hollis-Jefferson (ankle) is taking part in partial practices and will be reevaluated in two weeks, Mike Mazzeo of ESPN New York reports.

The report indicates that Hollis-Jefferson's fractured right ankle has fully healed, but the rookie will require some time to regain full strength and increase his activity in practices. When he was healthy, the defensive-minded Hollis-Jefferson was one of the few bright spots in a dismal season for the Nets, so he should be in line for an enhanced role in the team's rotation once he's cleared to play again. Look for him to displace Wayne Ellington in the starting five at some point in March.

http://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/basketball/news/nets-rondae-hollis-jefferson-taking-part-in-partial-practice/
Ror1997
Analyst
And1: 911

Post#315 » by Ror1997 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:39 pm

I wonder if the reason it took so long to buy out Joe is because they wanted him to start until RHJ is ready to comeback. Probably not but just a theory.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#316 » by CalamityX12 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:05 pm

no need to rush RHJ... just rest him up... let him practice but avoid gametime IMO.... I don't need to see him risk injury so soon... let him heal and take time.
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets

Post#317 » by NyCeEvO » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:34 pm

Ror1997 wrote:I wonder if the reason it took so long to buy out Joe is because they wanted him to start until RHJ is ready to comeback. Probably not but just a theory.

I think JJ was being truthful when he was saying he wasn't sure if he wanted a buyout. He was either telling the truth or didn't want to embarrass the Nets and say "Yes, I do" on TV. I don't think his decision had anything to do with RHJ.
jbeachboy
Assistant Coach

Post#318 » by jbeachboy » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:34 pm

i think march 14th around is earliest they say.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#319 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:36 pm

NyCeEvO wrote:
Ror1997 wrote:I wonder if the reason it took so long to buy out Joe is because they wanted him to start until RHJ is ready to comeback. Probably not but just a theory.

I think JJ was being truthful when he was saying he wasn't sure if he wanted a buyout. He was either telling the truth or didn't want to embarrass the Nets and say "Yes, I do" on TV. I don't think his decision had anything to do with RHJ.

It would have been pretty classless to admit that in public.

Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#320 » by Paradise » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:44 pm

NyCeEvO wrote:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/mazzespn/status/702964494209826820[/tweet]

Return to Brooklyn Nets