ImageImageImageImageImage

The Mad Scientist - Coach Kenny Thread

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

Born_Ready
Veteran
And1: 476

Re: The Head Coach Search Thread  

Post#21 » by Born_Ready » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:30 pm

Unrealistic hire: Thibodaux and Van Gundy sit at the top of my wishlist.

Realistic hire: Atkinson, Blatt, Messina. In that order.

I would have put Scotty Brooks in the realistic hire spot, but I think he goes to Wolves or Wizards. Any coach offered that Wolves job will hit a gold mine with that plethora of talent.

The coaching search will make for an interesting offseason to say the least. Finding and hiring the right candidate for the Nets may not be desirable as we (fanbase) think it is. I hope Sean Marks and company do their due diligence and not just settle to appease upper management.
OKC Thunder fan, too.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,916

Post#22 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:40 pm

NyCeEvO wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:I'm guessing Thibs isn't being considered because he isn't interested in us. Hell no to JVG, Mark Jackson, Vinny del Negro (LOL) and D'Antoni (would be happy with D'Antoni as assistant coach tho). Udoka would be a disappointing hire, profile wise but I would reserve full judgment until actual on court performances of course. I would be content with Messina. And out of the names mentioned, I would probably be happiest with Kenny Atkinson. He seems like a Thibs type coach waiting to break out as a HC.

If Thibs isn't being considered, I don't think it's because he has no interest.

From the start, when Marks has been asked about the prospects of hiring Thibs, he's gone out of his way to indicate that the chances of it happening are low. I'm not sure if he's heard something bad about Thibs or just doesn't like it but he's the only coaching prospect that he's had that reaction towards. I don't know what to make of it.

Maybe you're right. Maybe Thibs was contacted when the GM position was open to gauge his interest for being a POBO/HC and he said no. But the bottom line is that we don't know.

At this point I prefer Atkinson if Thibs isn't being considered. I just have this feeling that Messina isn't going to mesh well with a developing team. That's just a personal feeling though.

Everything about Messina screams "teacher", which may actually not be a bad thing for a developing team.

I just want a guy with a commitment to defense and has an offensive philosophy that involves good ball movement and off the ball movement. Guys like Mark Jackson, Del Negro, Brooks are guys that believe in ISO basketball. No way.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#23 » by Prokorov » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:34 pm

Born_Ready wrote:Unrealistic hire: Thibodaux and Van Gundy sit at the top of my wishlist.

I would have put Scotty Brooks in the realistic hire spot, but I think he goes to Wolves or Wizards. Any coach offered that Wolves job will hit a gold mine with that plethora of talent.

The coaching search will make for an interesting offseason to say the least. Finding and hiring the right candidate for the Nets may not be desirable as we (fanbase) think it is. I hope Sean Marks and company do their due diligence and not just settle to appease upper management.

i dont think the wolves job is very attractive. sure they have some young talent now but will ownership spend and do what it takes? you also have to live in minnesota.

coaching and GM jobs arent like being a player. its more long term view. unless your a nets coach, then its a 1 year gig :lol:

for coaches i think thing like location, climate, control, relationship with gm, ownerships commitment to spend all factor in more then on court talent
SV1113
Junior
And1: 84

Post#24 » by SV1113 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:45 pm

Prokorov wrote:
Born_Ready wrote:Unrealistic hire: Thibodaux and Van Gundy sit at the top of my wishlist.

i dont think the wolves job is very attractive. sure they have some young talent now but will ownership spend and do what it takes? you also have to live in minnesota.

coaching and GM jobs arent like being a player. its more long term view. unless your a nets coach, then its a 1 year gig :lol:

for coaches i think thing like location, climate, control, relationship with gm, ownerships commitment to spend all factor in more then on court talent

You can't be serious! I think the most important factor to coaches is on court talent, Coaches want to win right away. Location, climate are most liekly non factors .
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#25 » by Prokorov » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:23 pm

SV1113 wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

You can't be serious! I think the most important factor to coaches is on court talent, Coaches want to win right away. Location, climate are most liekly non factors .

i think its one of the least important.... i think most important is the role within the front office, control over making decisions and definitely the location. this is most likely where they will live long term and these are older guys with families. they obviously want to win, but i think they look more towards ownerships commitment to winning more then talent.

i mean the wolves have towns and some young guys, but their ability to get FA's is low, and their owners willingness to spend is questionable. they are easily 2-5 years away from seriously competing in that conference as well. i think the knicks job for instance would be much more sought after
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Re: RE: Re: The Head Coach Search Thread 

Post#26 » by NyCeEvO » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:00 pm

SV1113 wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

coaching and GM jobs arent like being a player. its more long term view. unless your a nets coach, then its a 1 year gig

Yeah, I don't understand how the Minnesota job isn't attractive.

You get a chance to develop and coach two very good young players. It also sounds like they're willing to go with a POBO/HC like SVG.

Another offseason of internal growth and signing someone like Harrison Barnes should have them competing for the 8th spot in the West, as long as they're playing in the right system.

The only way it's unattractive is if you don't like the weather or if you don't believe KAT and Wiggins won't develop into players who can attract other players.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets

Post#27 » by NyCeEvO » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:09 pm

Prokorov wrote:
SV1113 wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

i think its one of the least important.... i think most important is the role within the front office, control over making decisions and definitely the location. this is most likely where they will live long term and these are older guys with families. they obviously want to win, but i think they look more towards ownerships commitment to winning more then talent.

i mean the wolves have towns and some young guys, but their ability to get FA's is low, and their owners willingness to spend is questionable. they are easily 2-5 years away from seriously competing in that conference as well. i think the knicks job for instance would be much more sought after

SVG went to the Pistons with less.

Detroit isn't a free agent destination either.
Mkdaman1818
Sixth Man
And1: 1,101

Post#28 » by Mkdaman1818 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:49 pm

If free agency last year taught us anything, attractive destinations are ones that provide great opportunities to win. I think the same will apply for coaches. Coaches won't really care about weather, city, etc. Minnesota is a hell of an opportunity, and any coach worth their salt will want to go there.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets

Post#29 » by NyCeEvO » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:51 pm

According to some people on Twitter, Nets aren't going for Messina or Blatt. JVG isn't interested.

Who's #20 on Marks coaching list? :lol:
Mkdaman1818
Sixth Man
And1: 1,101

Post#30 » by Mkdaman1818 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:53 pm

NyCeEvO wrote:According to some people on Twitter, Nets aren't going for Messina or Blatt. JVG isn't interested.

Who's #20 on Marks coaching list? :lol:

I saw that too... I'll believe it when I see it.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#31 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:02 am

Prokorov wrote:

Wiggins and KAT are primed to become the best perimeter and post combo the sport has had in awhile, that job is very attractive as long as ownership doesn't pinch pennies.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#32 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:05 am

Prokorov wrote:
SV1113 wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

The Knicks job? Phil Jackson's ego is a bit much and he demands that any coach that comes there run the antiquated triangle. He's going to prevent the Knicks from getting a good coach AND good players because of that ****.

Zachbretton
Rookie
And1: 322

Post#33 » by Zachbretton » Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:48 am

From what I'm gathering here, from many of the reports and :banghead: going over to the blog :banghead: ... It seems that we're looking more towards people like Udoka, Atkinson, Larranaga over the other big names. I believe its a mix of the big names not wanting us, and us not wanting them. But I don't think it's a bad idea to try and find an up and coming name to run this team for a while. I'd love to finally get of this coaching roller coaster, and would love to actually establish something here. Out of those three names I think i like Larranaga or Atkinson the best. I know that the Spurs always talk to highly of Udoka, but I'm not completely sure what he has to offer, while the other two feel a LOT more proven and ready to shine in a HC position.

The Marks regime seems to be about finding younger, more up and coming people to bring this franchise into a more modern era, which I can't complain about. I just hope we keep hearing more of these hirings and more about the coaching decision soon. It would be nice to see what this franchise will look like before we get to the draft / FA, so we can all (organization and fans) be on the same page of where this team is going in the next couple of years.

I have a lot of faith in Marks right now, but we need to see some of this hope and faith turn into action over this summer. Here's to hoping :pray:
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#34 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:19 pm

Windrem basically said that there isn't much interest from established coaches. Can't blame them, the turnover rate here is an embarrassment regardless of the circumstances.

I'm fine with not bringing in a retread. People keep clinging to these old relics who don't believe in metrics and ball movement. we have nothing to lose with giving a young guy who understands the direction the game is headed in and can communicate with millennial players a chance.

and communicating with millennial players is simple: open your goddamn mouths and TALK. give me a guy in his 30s or early to mid 40s please, let the dinosaurs stay at home.

Net Sentence
Veteran
And1: 334

Post#35 » by Net Sentence » Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:19 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:Windrem basically said that there isn't much interest from established coaches. Can't blame them, the turnover rate here is an embarrassment regardless of the circumstances.

I'm fine with not bringing in a retread. People keep clinging to these old relics who don't believe in metrics and ball movement. we have nothing to lose with giving a young guy who understands the direction the game is headed in and can communicate with millennial players a chance.

and communicating with millennial players is simple: open your goddamn mouths and TALK. give me a guy in his 30s or early to mid 40s please, let the dinosaurs stay at home.

Ball movement is never going to exist with Lopez on this team. We arent going to be a good shooting team with Thad and RHJ in the starting lineup. Just because the Warriors play that way they do doesnt mean the rest of the league should. If you remember, it was only a couple of years ago that people said the Warriors would never win playing 3pt basketball. it reminds me of Game of Thrones when Robb captures Jamie Lanister and Jamie challenges him to a fight. Robb says to him "If we do it your way, you would win. We arent going to do it your way."

The point is you should adopt a style that works for the roster around you. Some teams are built for run and gun, we are not. We are never going to catch the Warriors trying to play their game. We almost beat them at home for that very reason. They cant match up with Lopez and Thad inside. Thad smoked D Green in both games because he played smart basketball. When there's no true center on the floor you attack the paint. All these teams keep trying to play small vs the Warriors and it doesnt work. Our strengths are scoring in the paint and RHJ's defensive potential. We need to build on that. We could potentially build a defensive powerhouse if we add a lockdown SF and ball hawking PG while keeping RHJ at SG. That makes more sense to me than trying to shoe horn someone who want to play a wide open system. That's why I would rather have a JVG or Thibs in here. Look at what happened in Chicago when they tried to open it up this year. If you have a good PnR PG you can bring D'Antoni's 7 seconds or less offense. If you have Brook Lopez you bring in a guy (JVG) who was successful with Patrick Ewing and Yao Ming.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#36 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:41 pm

or we can bring in someone with some fresh ideas instead of 55-60 year old retreads.

I don't think that we should play like the warriors, we should play to the strengths of the roster. but that doesn't mean that ball movement should be tossed to the curb...and Brook has shown this season that he is a willing passer and is looking for the assist.

Net Sentence
Veteran
And1: 334

Post#37 » by Net Sentence » Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:17 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:or we can bring in someone with some fresh ideas instead of 55-60 year old retreads.

I don't think that we should play like the warriors, we should play to the strengths of the roster. but that doesn't mean that ball movement should be tossed to the curb...and Brook has shown this season that he is a willing passer and is looking for the assist.

Lets break that down with a simple question, Does Brook Lopez play fast when he gets the ball or does he take like 3-5 seconds to decide what he wants to do? We all know the answer to that question. Unless we plan on trading him or phasing him out offensively, ball movement isnt going to happen. Brook has improved his passing but only after holding the ball for his requisite 3-5 seconds. Most of Brooks assist come from a stale offensive set where everyone is at a landmark on the perimeter and someone like Larkin backdoors his guy who was peaking in on Lopez. He isnt Marc Gasol or Noah out there placing passes all over the place.

I personally would rather trade Lopez but since that's likely not going to happen, we have to be honest as to what kind of ball we are capable of playing. Fresh Ideas sounds nice but it is empty without the capacity to actually execute it.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#38 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:48 pm

well, i'll let the GM work and see what the results are before i make blind assumptions.

Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#39 » by Paradise » Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:30 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/iamdpick/status/721099265607667712[/tweet]
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets

Post#40 » by NyCeEvO » Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:38 pm

Paradise wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/iamdpick/status/721099265607667712[/tweet]

Yes, this is what I read yesterday.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Return to Brooklyn Nets