ImageImageImageImageImage

The Mad Scientist - Coach Kenny Thread

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

DeRoma
Veteran
And1: 525

Re: WOJ: Nets hire Kenny Atkinson as Head Coach 

Post#61 » by DeRoma » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:44 pm

djsunyc wrote:any doubt that lin will be the starting pg next year?

I think these hirings will mean that we will be going after low profile, good potential unknown players rather than acquiring people he already developed.
Cicero
Junior
And1: 156

Post#62 » by Cicero » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:53 pm

This looks like a great hire for the Nets, IMO. Sean Marks doing work.
Better than going for a previous failure retread just because they have name recognition. Build. Step, by, step.

And yeah, for whatever it's worth, the twitter buzz is great among both players and non-players.
[tweet]https://twitter.com/wilsonchandler/status/721767722946863106[/tweet]
Net Sentence
Veteran
And1: 334

Post#63 » by Net Sentence » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:07 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:Really pleased with this hiring.

See Net Sentence? Let Marks work dude. He deserves the benefit of a doubt.

Im so glad this wasnt Messina or Ime Udoka.

This guy has paid his dues in the NBA as an assistant for 8 years and has turned a number of marginal players into good NBA players. He was number 2 on my list after Thibs.
jbeachboy
Assistant Coach
And1: 359

Post#64 » by jbeachboy » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:41 pm

Net Sentence wrote:

This guy has paid his dues in the NBA as an assistant for 8 years and has turned a number of marginal players into good NBA players. He was number 2 on my list after Thibs.

why you dislike messina? everything ive read about atkinson is that he is great and great in player development. i believe more players would come to play for atkinson than messina or udoka.
Net Sentence
Veteran
And1: 334

Post#65 » by Net Sentence » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:00 pm

jbeachboy wrote:
Net Sentence wrote:

why you dislike messina? everything ive read about atkinson is that he is great and great in player development. i believe more players would come to play for atkinson than messina or udoka.

The good majority of Messina's experience as a coach comes from Europe. It's not the same game as the NBA. I dont want someone who isnt familiar with NBA level athleticism and game flow. He's only been an NBA assistant for 2 years. He hasnt paid his dues yet IMO.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Re: Nets hire Kenny Atkinson as Head Coach 

Post#66 » by CalamityX12 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:55 pm

This was a fast quick hire... all of sudden, on the espn feed, Atkinson is named HC.... popular choice among us fans and looks like a good hire...

Congrats to Atkinson and lets wish him the best of luck!

Lets see what he has plans for Lopez n Co....
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Nets hire Kenny Atkinson as Head Coach 

Post#67 » by Paradise » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:41 am

Jeremy Lin on Atkinson during Linsanity:

"I mean this guy wakes up at 6 a.m. every morning," Lin says. "I’ll text after a game at midnight, 1 o’clock when I go home and I’ll say, ‘Hey can I look at those turnovers. Can I look at the upcoming team? How they run pick and rolls?’ And he ’ll have the film ready when I walk into the facility the next morning.

"When I wasn’t playing much, we were working out before practice, and after practice he was picking apart my game, teaching me what it’s like to play in Coach D’Antoni’s system."

Al Horford on Atkinson:

"He believes you can improve as a player, even at the highest level, and that there’s always something you can add to your game. … Before he got here, I was pretty much a shooter on the pick-and-pop. I was never really driving. Kenny has challenged me to put the ball on the floor. It’s something we’ve worked on together, and now it’s something I feel comfortable doing."
Zachbretton
Rookie
And1: 322

Post#68 » by Zachbretton » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:46 am

I'm really happy about this hiring for many reasons. This guy has been known for a while as the next up and comer, so I'm happy we're getting him on board to right this ship. He's also known for player development, which will help our team as we grow over the next couple years. He seems perfect in this culture that Marks is building, about development and accountability. He also has connections to a lot of players that would not only fit well here, but could be important moving forward.

Its' so refreshing to hear the NBA actually compliment us for once, with the hiring of Marks we've finally gotten ourselves onto the right path. This all feels good
DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,572

Re: The Head Coach Search Thread 

Post#69 » by DarkXaero » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:46 am

DarkXaero wrote:I'm guessing Thibs isn't being considered because he isn't interested in us. Hell no to JVG, Mark Jackson, Vinny del Negro (LOL) and D'Antoni (would be happy with D'Antoni as assistant coach tho). Udoka would be a disappointing hire, profile wise but I would reserve full judgment until actual on court performances of course. I would be content with Messina. And out of the names mentioned, I would probably be happiest with Kenny Atkinson. He seems like a Thibs type coach waiting to break out as a HC.
Happy with the hire of Kenny Atkinson. Obviously Thibs would have been my #1 choice but I realized a while ago that we aren't a very appealing team for him. Kenny Atkinson was probably the next best available option. Pleased with the hire and I hope we finally have some continuity with a Nets HC.
Shark
Lead Assistant
And1: 980

Post#70 » by Shark » Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:07 am

Well that was sudden. Good hire though. Glad it wasn't a retread (not that I would have had a problem with Thibs), but this is a coach that can grow with the team.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#71 » by NyCeEvO » Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:09 am

Net Sentence wrote:

Same for me! So pumped that he was hired and there were no leaks. Great job by Sean Marks and crew.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets

Post#72 » by NyCeEvO » Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:15 am

MrDollarBills wrote:Isola didn't hesitate to stab Phil Jackson with that tweet. jesus

Another move in the right direction.

TBH...I would've felt the same way with Udoka. He has almost no track record and was a part of Marks inner circle in SAS.

In one swing, Marks debunked the notion that he's only helping his own guys and isn't afraid of going outside to get his people.

I'm excited! :D
jbeachboy
Assistant Coach
And1: 359

Post#73 » by jbeachboy » Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:27 am

anyone think sean marks mostly made this decision? i cant wait to hear how much influence the nets ownership committee had?
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,927

Post#74 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:37 am

Net Sentence wrote:

let the guy work please. i truly believe he is trying to build the Nets from the bottom up into something new.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets

Post#75 » by NyCeEvO » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:14 am

jbeachboy wrote:anyone think sean marks mostly made this decision? i cant wait to hear how much influence the nets ownership committee had?

If Marks had no input in the coaching decision, we would've hired Calipari's end of bench assistant (per his recommendation) on a 7yr/$100mil contract.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#76 » by Paradise » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:28 am

[tweet]https://twitter.com/justindefeo/status/721889241287041024[/tweet]
Netaman
Analyst
And1: 1,069

Post#77 » by Netaman » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:32 am

Seems like a very solid hire for where the organization is right now (unable to go full rebuild without draft picks). This is a pretty talented roster, but obviously very raw and without any cohesion. Will be interesting to see how Marks decides to reshape things this summer, but 1 nice bonus with Atkinson is his relationships with a lot of guys who are available. After reading about him a lot today it seems pretty clear he knows how to develop players and forge good relationships, whether or not he can get his teams to execute a winning style of basketball is obviously a pretty big unknown.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets

Post#78 » by NyCeEvO » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:42 am

Paradise wrote:Jeremy Lin on Atkinson during Linsanity:

"I mean this guy wakes up at 6 a.m. every morning," Lin says. "I’ll text after a game at midnight, 1 o’clock when I go home and I’ll say, ‘Hey can I look at those turnovers. Can I look at the upcoming team? How they run pick and rolls?’ And he ’ll have the film ready when I walk into the facility the next morning.

"When I wasn’t playing much, we were working out before practice, and after practice he was picking apart my game, teaching me what it’s like to play in Coach D’Antoni’s system."

Al Horford on Atkinson:

"He believes you can improve as a player, even at the highest level, and that there’s always something you can add to your game. … Before he got here, I was pretty much a shooter on the pick-and-pop. I was never really driving. Kenny has challenged me to put the ball on the floor. It’s something we’ve worked on together, and now it’s something I feel comfortable doing."

This was also in the Lin article:

“There is nobody better than Kenny at developing players," says Minnesota Timberwolves coach Rick Adelman, who gave Atkinson his first NBA job, with the Houston Rockets. “We didn’t want to lose him but going to New York was a chance for him to go home.”

via http://m.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/ny-knicks-assistant-ken-atkinson-helping-jeremy-lin-succeed-article-1.1024232
SpeedyG
RealGM
And1: 1,310

Post#79 » by SpeedyG » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:26 pm

This came out of nowhere. As NYC said, no leaks. So far, this has been the biggest change when it comes to the moves so far.I'm not going to pretend I know a lot about Atkinson, but it seems he's very highly spoken of. Still, it's a huge jump and keep in mind that he had not coached until recently when he coached DR. From what I'm reading, that's been the extent of him as a head coach.

I like that he's a NY guy, but having gone through this experience before...first time GM, first time HC, a very young team (other than Lopez/Thad), man this is going to be a rough ride back to winning. I get the idea, but...this is Brooklyn.

Brooklyn.

This is Prokorov we're talking about. And there's still the cross-town Knicks.

I'm still hesitant to see how patient Prok and his group can be once the losses pile up as this very young GM/HC combo (which, likely will trickle down to young/inexperienced assistants as well) gets acclimated to their roles.
Bless the man if his heart and his land are one ~ FrancisM, R.I.P. 3/6/09
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,927

Post#80 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:30 pm

I look at it this way

with experienced coaches (aside from Kidd, who did pretty good) and an experienced GM, we got an honestly underachieving team and have hit rock bottom. How can Marks and Atkinson do worse? Will things go smoothly? No, I'm sure there will be some more uphill battles ahead with our situation but I'm a bit more at ease with all directions pointing up, a forward thinking young GM and a coach who is excellent at developing players at the helm.

we can't do any worse from where we are right now.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe

Return to Brooklyn Nets