ImageImageImageImageImage

The Mad Scientist - Coach Kenny Thread

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

SpeedyG
RealGM
And1: 1,310

Re: Nets hire Kenny Atkinson as Head Coach 

Post#81 » by SpeedyG » Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:21 pm

The team hit rock bottom, and another GM with similar approach (obviously not to the extent that we did before) would be able to turn this thing around quickly. Contender? No, but a playoff team. Given what we're hearing from Marks and the building of a young staff, I don't think he'll look for a quick fix. And that's certainly understandable. The best way to build a perennial championship caliber team is still through prospects you develop to become franchise players.

The problem is, we don't have that given the hole King has left us in. This all sounds great right now, but how will ownership, NY media, and fans accept this after another sub-30 win season next year? And us swapping picks with the Celtics again? And the year after?

As I've stated a bit, preaching patience is all good when you're in the zero phase. The big test for everyone will be in the years to come.
Bless the man if his heart and his land are one ~ FrancisM, R.I.P. 3/6/09
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,917

Post#82 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:47 pm

we really don't have much of a choice.

I also don't think it will take that long to be competitive again either. We only won 21 games but for the most part the Nets played hard and were close in a good chunk of these games to the point where you know if we had some more talent those close losses would have been W's. We should be better next season, and in 2017 i think we'll be primed to make some good moves.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Re: RE: Re: The Head Coach Search Thread 

Post#83 » by Prokorov » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:57 pm

NyCeEvO wrote:
SV1113 wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
i dont think the wolves job is very attractive. sure they have some young talent now but will ownership spend and do what it takes? you also have to live in minnesota.

coaching and GM jobs arent like being a player. its more long term view. unless your a nets coach, then its a 1 year gig

for coaches i think thing like location, climate, control, relationship with gm, ownerships commitment to spend all factor in more then on court talent

You can't be serious! I think the most important factor to coaches is on court talent, Coaches want to win right away. Location, climate are most liekly non factors .

Yeah, I don't understand how the Minnesota job isn't attractive.

You get a chance to develop and coach two very good young players. It also sounds like they're willing to go with a POBO/HC like SVG.

Another offseason of internal growth and signing someone like Harrison Barnes should have them competing for the 8th spot in the West, as long as they're playing in the right system.

The only way it's unattractive is if you don't like the weather or if you don't believe KAT and Wiggins won't develop into players who can attract other players.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

i think its understated the location, especially for a coach who is likely looking at this as a long term stint. as far as attracting talent, i think wiggins/towns are more likely to get attracted elwhere then to attract guys to minnesota... similar to how it went when KG/Marbury where young players entering their primes and KG looking like an MVP.

unless the guy is from the area, or doesnt have many options, you usually dont see high profile guys go to places like minnesota. id think someone like say thibs would 100% take the knicks job before considering minnesota
DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,572

Post#84 » by DarkXaero » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:57 pm

"Hawks point guard Jeff Teague said best news he heard was the Nets hiring assistant Kenny Atkinson. Teague credited Atkinson with helping his development and cited his contagious enthusiasm and energy as things the Nets will benefit from greatly."

Hawks players seem to love the guy.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Nets hire Kenny Atkinson as Head Coach 

Post#85 » by Paradise » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:00 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/notoriousohm/status/722106499686735872[/tweet]

Hawks point guard Jeff Teague said best news he heard was the Nets hiring assistant Kenny Atkinson. Teague credited Atkinson with helping his development and cited his contagious enthusiasm and energy as things the Nets will benefit from greatly.
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 36,175

Post#86 » by Dirk » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:01 pm

He also helped Carroll get that major deal with Toronto. Atlanta has no shortage of players who have improved dramatically the last 2-3 years.

Considering Atlanta's improvement and their amazing level of play (regular season) last year, this looks like a very intriguing hire. I just don't know if you could play their style with Young/Lopez, maybe they'll be working on their 3 point shooting this off-season.
60/21/10
Mkdaman1818
Sixth Man
And1: 1,101

Post#87 » by Mkdaman1818 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:05 pm

I'd love to see Atkinson get his hands on Thad. Thad looks like has so much energy and raw ability, he just seems lost half the time. If Atkinson can develop him into Millsap-lite or Carroll-lite, I'd be thrilled.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#88 » by Paradise » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:16 pm

Dirk Nowitzki wrote:He also helped Carroll get that major deal with Toronto. Atlanta has no shortage of players who have improved dramatically the last 2-3 years.

Considering Atlanta's improvement and their amazing level of play (regular season) last year, this looks like a very intriguing hire. I just don't know if you could play their style with Young/Lopez, maybe they'll be working on their 3 point shooting this off-season.

It's possible. :lol:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXvtpMNXLoo&sns=em[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6D9DkARUUoc&sns=em[/youtube]
DarkXaero
RealGM

Post#89 » by DarkXaero » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:48 pm

I'm pretty sure that Brook will be adding a 3pt shot to his skillset anyway in the next few years, if not starting next season. He has been working on his 3pt shot over the past couple years and he has the shooting touch to get there.

Thad's 3pt shooting really needs to improve though if he wants to take the next step as a player. It would do wonders for his game if he developed a consistent 3pt shot. He has a lot of work to do tho to develop a consistent 3 pt shot.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#90 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:12 pm

Prokorov wrote:
NyCeEvO wrote:
SV1113 wrote:
You can't be serious! I think the most important factor to coaches is on court talent, Coaches want to win right away. Location, climate are most liekly non factors .

You get a chance to develop and coach two very good young players. It also sounds like they're willing to go with a POBO/HC like SVG.

Another offseason of internal growth and signing someone like Harrison Barnes should have them competing for the 8th spot in the West, as long as they're playing in the right system.

The only way it's unattractive is if you don't like the weather or if you don't believe KAT and Wiggins won't develop into players who can attract other players.

i think its understated the location, especially for a coach who is likely looking at this as a long term stint. as far as attracting talent, i think wiggins/towns are more likely to get attracted elwhere then to attract guys to minnesota... similar to how it went when KG/Marbury where young players entering their primes and KG looking like an MVP.

unless the guy is from the area, or doesnt have many options, you usually dont see high profile guys go to places like minnesota. id think someone like say thibs would 100% take the knicks job before considering minnesota

He just interviewed for the job today.

Two young stud prospects who will be there for the next several years. Why would you want to not coach that roster as opposed to the Knicks whose GM is trying to control what the coaches run offensively and is only choosing personnel to fit an antiquated offense? you think Thibs wants to sit there and be bossed around by Phil?

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#91 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:14 pm

Paradise wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/notoriousohm/status/722106499686735872[/tweet]

Hawks point guard Jeff Teague said best news he heard was the Nets hiring assistant Kenny Atkinson. Teague credited Atkinson with helping his development and cited his contagious enthusiasm and energy as things the Nets will benefit from greatly.

:nod: sounds like these guys would run thru a wall for him. lets hope that happens here.

Mosdefinition
Senior
And1: 116

Post#92 » by Mosdefinition » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:27 pm

heres what i will say I was right about lawrence frank being a bad hire

I was wrong about avery being a good (though i still think they fired him to soon)

I was right about kidd being a bad hire

I was wrong about lionel being a good hire

I guess what im saying is everytime i think someones a bad hire i end up right and when i think someones a good hire im wrong

Im just indifferent about this one which must be a good sign
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#93 » by CalamityX12 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:29 pm

I guess with ATL in the playoffs, we won't be hearing from Kenny yet right?
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#94 » by CalamityX12 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:30 pm

I'm interested to know how much did BKN appeal to Kenny rather than Kenny appealing to BKN/Marks
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#95 » by vincecarter4pres » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:37 pm

Mosdefinition wrote:heres what i will say I was right about lawrence frank being a bad hire

I was wrong about avery being a good (though i still think they fired him to soon)

I was right about kidd being a bad hire

I was wrong about lionel being a good hire

I guess what im saying is everytime i think someones a bad hire i end up right and when i think someones a good hire im wrong

Im just indifferent about this one which must be a good sign

Even as the self-serving douchebag he was/is and the whole Brook for Sanders debacle, I still think Kidd was a good hire and is a good coach and will go down as a VERY good coach if he can stay out of his own way on the GM side of things.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#96 » by NyCeEvO » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:39 pm

DarkXaero wrote:"Hawks point guard Jeff Teague said best news he heard was the Nets hiring assistant Kenny Atkinson. Teague credited Atkinson with helping his development and cited his contagious enthusiasm and energy as things the Nets will benefit from greatly."

Hawks players seem to love the guy.

Paradise wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/notoriousohm/status/722106499686735872[/tweet]

After the news of the hire, I was up past 2am last night looking at the Hawks salary cap situation and roster in order to come up with some way of getting Teague over here. Then sign Lin as his backup.

I'd go nuts if we found a way to get that tandem.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets

Post#97 » by NyCeEvO » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:44 pm

Mkdaman1818 wrote:I'd love to see Atkinson get his hands on Thad. Thad looks like has so much energy and raw ability, he just seems lost half the time. If Atkinson can develop him into Millsap-lite or Carroll-lite, I'd be thrilled.

Millsap is an allstar with great ballhandling and ISO capabilities. He's a threat from all over the court. There's 0 chance of Thad becoming Millsap or even Millsap-lite.

Last year's version of Carroll was an elite 3&D player. His presence alone killed us when we played against them.

Last year's version of Thad had the 3-point shot but he's nowhere close to the defense Carroll brings. Thad needs to buy into being a good team defender before we talk about him being a good single-coverage lockdown defender like Carroll was.

Atkinson is a development coach, not a miracle worker lol.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets

Post#98 » by NyCeEvO » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:56 pm

DarkXaero wrote:I'm pretty sure that Brook will be adding a 3pt shot to his skillset anyway in the next few years, if not starting next season. He has been working on his 3pt shot over the past couple years and he has the shooting touch to get there.

I'm not buying that Lopez will ever be a serious threat from 3.

His release is way too slow and requires too much arm motion for him to be able to get multiple good, clean looks off on a regular basis.

I do want him to continue to work on it as a bailout type of shot solely for corner 3s. I do not want see him launching 3s with any sort of regularity during the game. There's a reason why he laughs when he takes and makes it. He knows that making 3s in a game is much harder than in the practice.

Thad's 3pt shooting really needs to improve though if he wants to take the next step as a player. It would do wonders for his game if he developed a consistent 3pt shot. He has a lot of work to do tho to develop a consistent 3 pt shot.

Thad shot 38% from 3 in his time with us last season on decent volume (0.7 3PM/1.8 3PA). I think he's already shown that he's capable of doing it.

In fact, Thad's 3pt% seems to increase as he increases his volume. Whenever he has taken 1.5+ 3PApg in a season, he has shot at least 33% from 3. That's decent especially if he's relegated to the 7th man role, which he would occupy on a good team.
DarkXaero
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: Nets hire Kenny Atkinson as Head Coach 

Post#99 » by DarkXaero » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:16 pm

NyCeEvO wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:I'm pretty sure that Brook will be adding a 3pt shot to his skillset anyway in the next few years, if not starting next season. He has been working on his 3pt shot over the past couple years and he has the shooting touch to get there.

I'm not buying that Lopez will ever be a serious threat from 3.

His release is way too slow and requires too much arm motion for him to be able to get multiple good, clean looks off on a regular basis.

I do want him to continue to work on it as a bailout type of shot solely for corner 3s. I do not want see him launching 3s with any sort of regularity during the game. There's a reason why he laughs when he takes and makes it. He knows that making 3s in a game is much harder than in the practice.

Thad shot 38% from 3 in his time with us last season on decent volume (0.7 3PM/1.8 3PA). I think he's already shown that he's capable of doing it.

In fact, Thad's 3pt% seems to increase as he increases his volume. Whenever he has taken 1.5+ 3PApg in a season, he has shot at least 33% from 3. That's decent especially if he's relegated to the 7th man role, which he would occupy on a good team.
His release being slow is not a big issue because as a center, he will have space and time to shoot 3s if he wanted. His slow release doesnt affect him from being a good/decent midrange shooter. He has the shooting touch, if he puts serious work in, he can become a 3pt threat. Al horford became a 3pt threat this year despite having a slow release. Brook has the talent to do the same.

As for Thad, he is just not a good 3pt shooter. He shot well for us from there last season but that was a small sample size on low volume. This season, he wasnt a 3pt threat at all.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets

Post#100 » by NyCeEvO » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:40 pm

Prokorov wrote:
NyCeEvO wrote:
SV1113 wrote:

If he were a player, I would think your belief is plausible but in this current era, we're even seeing players prefer winning situations over location.

But considering that Thibs is a coach who mainly cares about on-court production, I don't see the allure of big cities being a problem. And let's not act like it's Minneapolis is some hole in the wall city. It's got a metropolitan population of over 3.8 million (14th largest in the nation according to 2014 data).

I don't know how a guy like Thibs would bypass two super-young stud players who he can groom into an allstar duo, the chance to dialog with a proxy-coach/mentor in KG everyday (with whom he already has an established relationship), and POBO responsibilities.

Return to Brooklyn Nets