ImageImageImageImageImage

The 2016 Off-Season Thread

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,902

Re: The 2016 Off-Season Thread 

Post#241 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:55 pm

without an extension guarantee i don't view a move like that as good.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#242 » by Prokorov » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:37 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:without an extension guarantee i don't view a move like that as good.

id view that as a great move. we get a legit point gaurd who can maximize lopez talents as well as bookend 3 other players who can then develop the right way. and we lose what? a project stretch 4?

i actually prefer teague on the 1 year deal. make him earn his money and also keep options open for the 2017 PG class. teague brings someone farmiliar with running what atkinson will want to impliment. dont discount that. he also would give us a great shot at getting to the playoffs, and, as mentioned, allows everyone else to fit into a natural role.

i dont see CMac becoming a star. if you did i can see why you'd be against the move. but anything less then all-star and i think moving CMac evenf or a 1 year rental of teague is a homerun.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#243 » by Prokorov » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:38 pm

Derozan is having an awful playoffs... again. if the raps go down in the first round i can see us getting him for less then the max (20M range?). and i think atkinson could work wonders with him. extend his 3 point range and he could turn into a truly deadly scorer.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#244 » by Paradise » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:16 pm

Prokorov wrote:i disagree. i think there are other options. i think jennings is at least nba starter quality. there are some trades that make sense. you have rondo who will be out there... etc. to me the worst move is paying a bench guy 8-10 million to be slightly less disappointing then what we had last year

Rondo? Doesn't fit what Marks is aiming to develop here. Yes, he's productive but he freelances and can develop a sense of entitlement. I doubt Atkinson is capable of handling a diva personality.

Jennings? He's a sixth man at best and he's an inefficient guard that cannot run an effective offense. He's Jarrett Jack without the leadership.

Trades are a possibility but there are other teams with better assets. I doubt we have enough to entice teams like Sacramento or New Orleans to hand over Darren Collison, Jrue Holiday or even a Jeff Teague to us for little to nothing. The best we could do is acquire Trey Burke who is not a PG...and he sucks.

i dont think you can compare the attention lopez gets vs the attention a trio of offensive stars like lebron/kyrie/love gain. brook doesnt even get doubled that much. most teams play him straight up.

if you dont remeber people singing praises of that trio then go back to last years off season thread. people were saying the same stuff about larkin they are saying about delly now

Again, Delly shot 36% from three and had an average TS% WITHOUT LeBron and Love. You keep going back to them making him look good when he was already impressing folks beforehand and Larkin was absolute trash with the Knicks. Not a single person was singing his praises. The only thing people said was there was some hope for him because the Knicks ran an offense not designed for a PnR guard. Those two are not even comparable.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#245 » by Prokorov » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:36 pm

Paradise wrote:Rondo? Doesn't fit what Marks is aiming to develop here. Yes, he's productive but he freelances and can develop a sense of entitlement. I doubt Atkinson is capable of handling a diva personality.

says who? rondo is a solid defender and extremely high iq player. i woudlnt dismiss atkinsonw orking with him and he is worlds better then delladova or lin

Jennings? He's a sixth man at best and he's an inefficient guard that cannot run an effective offense. He's Jarrett Jack without the leadership.

inefficient bench player... you just described lin and delladova. jennings is better then both. he isnt great but he is an nba starting pg.

Trades are a possibility but there are other teams with better assets. I doubt we have enough to entice teams like Sacramento or New Orleans to hand over Darren Collison, Jrue Holiday or even a Jeff Teague to us for little to nothing. The best we could do is acquire Trey Burke who is not a PG...and he sucks.

we have some assets. and not that many teams need a PG. thad + some combo of cmac/bogs/brown or taking back bad salary could likely get it done.

Again, Delly shot 36% from three and had an average TS% WITHOUT LeBron and Love. You keep going back to them making him look good when he was already impressing folks beforehand and Larkin was absolute trash with the Knicks. Not a single person was singing his praises. The only thing people said was there was some hope for him because the Knicks ran an offense not designed for a PnR guard. Those two are not even comparable.

you keep saying that like it is impressive. sloan shot 38% from three this year. and it outlines that delly was 5% worse from 3 without lebron/love, kind of highlighting my point of how he could take a dive without the great looks those guys generate. he was not impressive last year. he isnt even really impressive this year(nuetral to negative advanced defensive stats, below average to bad offensive stats). people loved larkin in the offseason. most wanted him to start over jack(who everyone but netsentence was bashing after a horrible season).

larkin had a very similar season to delladova. other then better 3 point shooting, not much difference. same with sloan. delladova isnt a very good player. his value is propelled by playing with great players on a very good team and not having to worry about doing more then his role asks of him. and even then, he didnt have a great season. other then 3 point shooting not much you can point to thats positive. put him on the nets this year and he would have gotten the sloan/larkin/karasev/bogs treatment getting bashed for not playing well in a role he isnt good enough to fill.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#246 » by vincecarter4pres » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:44 pm

I don't see Jennings as better than Lin. In fact I see it as glaringly opposite.

Lin is a very underrated player still.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,273

Post#247 » by mademan » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:08 pm

Delladova at 5-6 mill is a good rotation guard. Delladova at 10 mill is a bad contract for a below average starting pg. CLE matches the 1st, no team should offer the second
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,248

Post#248 » by Papi_swav » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:11 pm

Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:without an extension guarantee i don't view a move like that as good.

id view that as a great move. we get a legit point gaurd who can maximize lopez talents as well as bookend 3 other players who can then develop the right way. and we lose what? a project stretch 4?

i actually prefer teague on the 1 year deal. make him earn his money and also keep options open for the 2017 PG class. teague brings someone farmiliar with running what atkinson will want to impliment. dont discount that. he also would give us a great shot at getting to the playoffs, and, as mentioned, allows everyone else to fit into a natural role.

i dont see CMac becoming a star. if you did i can see why you'd be against the move. but anything less then all-star and i think moving CMac evenf or a 1 year rental of teague is a homerun.

Na I rather hold on to Cmac , we hold his rights for at least the next 5-6 years plus . teague can leave next year and I wouldn't trust that just because we have Atkinson that he will resign with us, never know how things turn out. I believe in Cmac potential, maybe won't be as good as Teague but I think he can be a rotational player with us for a while. Atkinson is known for player development so let's see how far he an push Cmac.

I believe derozan will still get 20 plus million but even if he gets a little less than that I still wouldn't want him here. never was a fan of him and he tries to draw contact all the time . Reminds me of a fake James harden . Paul George got him on lockdown . Rather beal or Fournier
Net Sentence
Veteran
And1: 334

Post#249 » by Net Sentence » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:51 pm

Paradise wrote:Again, Delly shot 36% from three and had an average TS% WITHOUT LeBron and Love. You keep going back to them making him look good when he was already impressing folks beforehand and Larkin was absolute trash with the Knicks. Not a single person was singing his praises. The only thing people said was there was some hope for him because the Knicks ran an offense not designed for a PnR guard. Those two are not even comparable.

Delly was a rookie from a small college when he shot 36%. Give me a break. He has made himself a good player. Plenty of players get open looks because of the talent they play with, it's up to the player to make the shots.
Net Sentence
Veteran

Post#250 » by Net Sentence » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:54 pm

mademan wrote:Delladova at 5-6 mill is a good rotation guard. Delladova at 10 mill is a bad contract for a below average starting pg. CLE matches the 1st, no team should offer the second

Delly's not a restricted free agent. Im sure he wants the opportunity to start and that's not happening in Cleveland as long as Irving is there. Cleveland is going to loose him. I think Mo Williams will pick up his option and be their backup next season.
mademan
RealGM

Post#251 » by mademan » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:27 am

Net Sentence wrote:
mademan wrote:Delladova at 5-6 mill is a good rotation guard. Delladova at 10 mill is a bad contract for a below average starting pg. CLE matches the 1st, no team should offer the second

Delly's not a restricted free agent. Im sure he wants the opportunity to start and that's not happening in Cleveland as long as Irving is there. Cleveland is going to loose him. I think Mo Williams will pick up his option and be their backup next season.

He's restricted.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/13326085/matthew-dellavedova-accepts-cleveland-cavaliers-one-year-qualifying-offer

Unless he's overpaid, i dont see CLE letting him go. He's their most important guard after Kyrie
Net Sentence
Veteran

Post#252 » by Net Sentence » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:38 am

mademan wrote:
Net Sentence wrote:

He's restricted.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/13326085/matthew-dellavedova-accepts-cleveland-cavaliers-one-year-qualifying-offer

Unless he's overpaid, i dont see CLE letting him go. He's their most important guard after Kyrie

I dont understand this. If you take the qualifying offer, I thought that makes you a free agent the following year. Either way, I dont see Cleveland matching him. They need to shore up the Center position and I think they look to upgrade over Mozgov. They are going to be over the tax limit so matching Delly is going to cost them more then whichever team signs him. We can do a poison pill contract to force their hand.
mademan
RealGM

Post#253 » by mademan » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:44 am

Net Sentence wrote:
mademan wrote:
Net Sentence wrote:

He's restricted.

I dont understand this. If you take the qualifying offer, I thought that makes you a free agent the following year. Either way, I dont see Cleveland matching him. They need to shore up the Center position and I think they look to upgrade over Mozgov. They are going to be over the tax limit so matching Delly is going to cost them more then whichever team signs him. We can do a poison pill contract to force their hand.

They have no money to get a C whether they pay Delly or not. They'll match a reasonable offer; Kyrie's injury prone and he's able to play the 2 guard and defend, makes him perfect for them. Like I said, it would take an overpay to get him from CLE, which would be a mistake
shakendfries
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,063

Post#254 » by shakendfries » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:19 am

Reminds me of Cory Joseph - a more than adequate player coming off the bench. It wouldn't be a stretch to say De Colo would've started over Sloan + Larkin if he was on the Nets this season. Unlike Larkin, he's a proficient finisher at the rim

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cp9V5_RMo2c[/youtube]
ImageImage

"Kevin Durant is not coming to the Nets. If I'm wrong, I will change my avatar to anything you request no matter how humiliating it is." - MrDollarBills, 10/22/18
Ror1997
Analyst
And1: 911

Post#255 » by Ror1997 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:58 am

Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
trading for players on expirings without an extension is Billy King behavior.

thats a sweeping generalization.... if king traded marhson brooks for for a jeff teague level player a few years ago people would have praised him. he traded high lotto picks for gerald wallace

i dont think the comparison is in the same universe.

He means it's something King would do because King did a bunch of other dumb things.
Zachbretton
Rookie
And1: 322

Post#256 » by Zachbretton » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:01 am

Prokorov wrote:Derozan is having an awful playoffs... again. if the raps go down in the first round i can see us getting him for less then the max (20M range?). and i think atkinson could work wonders with him. extend his 3 point range and he could turn into a truly deadly scorer.

I think after his past 3 postseason runs I'd stay FAR away from a player like Derozan. He doesn't show up often enough, has a limited range and would command a huge contract. I'd focus more on value signings than someone like him. He'd just make us relive the disappointments of the last crop of "stars" in Brooklyn jerseys. Unless the discount you're talking about is massive, like 10m per year, I say :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway:
shakendfries
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,063

Post#257 » by shakendfries » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:15 am

Zachbretton wrote:
Prokorov wrote:Derozan is having an awful playoffs... again. if the raps go down in the first round i can see us getting him for less then the max (20M range?). and i think atkinson could work wonders with him. extend his 3 point range and he could turn into a truly deadly scorer.

I think after his past 3 postseason runs I'd stay FAR away from a player like Derozan. He doesn't show up often enough, has a limited range and would command a huge contract. I'd focus more on value signings than someone like him. He'd just make us relive the disappointments of the last crop of "stars" in Brooklyn jerseys. Unless the discount you're talking about is massive, like 10m per year, I say :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway:

Derozan is a great player and is definitely a good No 2 option on a contending team, but on a max contract he makes no sense for a team like the Nets. Derozan is a player who more sense on a team that already has a No 1 in place - a team like New Orleans that already has Anthony Davis as their go-to guy, but needs someone else who can step up and draw attention from the defense when necessary
ImageImage

"Kevin Durant is not coming to the Nets. If I'm wrong, I will change my avatar to anything you request no matter how humiliating it is." - MrDollarBills, 10/22/18
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#258 » by Paradise » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:15 am

DeRozan? Dude is terrible in the postseason. Terrible. I would root for him in a Nets uniform but I'd hate going into the postseason expecting a disappearing act from a max player.

20/4/4
36% FG
25% 3pt
.475 TS%
14.0 PER

He can't even defend other elite guards at his position to make up for his terrible efficiency in the postseason. He doesn't seem to make his teammates better either. The Raptors live and die with what Lowry does and even he's not a legitimate star. Good luck to the Lakers or Raptors because he will command a max based off reputation and production but this series should open a lot of eyes.
kamaze
General Manager
And1: 1,315

Post#259 » by kamaze » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:07 am

shakendfries wrote:Reminds me of Cory Joseph - a more than adequate player coming off the bench. It wouldn't be a stretch to say De Colo would've started over Sloan + Larkin if he was on the Nets this season. Unlike Larkin, he's a proficient finisher at the rim

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cp9V5_RMo2c[/youtube]

Sean Marks said he'd be looking at europe for talent. Teodosic is good too [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiGbfz0hhLg[/youtube] No need to trade anyone or pay a big contract.
I got the burner-Kevin Durant

Cream rises to the top-Nic Claxton
spaceballer
Head Coach
And1: 2,707

Post#260 » by spaceballer » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:19 am

Net Sentence wrote:
mademan wrote:
Net Sentence wrote:

He's restricted.

Taking the qualifying offer makes you a free agent the following year because it's only a 1 yr contract. It does NOT make you an unrestricted free agent unless you ALSO meet the tenure requirement of having over 3 years of NBA experience.

Delly is restricted this coming summer.

And no, you cannot do a poison pill contract. Poison pill contracts are only if the player is subject to the Gilbert Arenas provision of having 2 or less years in the NBA.

Delly has 3 years. That means you can't give him the poison pill, but he is still restricted.

If he had 1 or 2 years, then he would be restricted and you could give him a poison pill under the Gilbert Arenas Provision.

If he had 4 years, then he'd be unrestricted after the QO he signed last summer.

But he's right in the middle at 3 years. That means he's restricted. And you can't poison pill him.

Return to Brooklyn Nets