ImageImageImageImageImage

The Cyclone - The Isaiah Whitehead Thread

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

DeRoma
Veteran
And1: 525

Re: Welcome Brooklyn's own -- Isaiah Whitehead 

Post#81 » by DeRoma » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:52 pm

Paradise wrote:If Kenny can develop his game similar to how he developed Schroeder. I think Whitehead could be our mini Kemba Walker.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

He is a much better shooter than Kemba. He practices with Stephen Curry in the summers. I think he can be one of the best shooting PG in the NBA.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Re: RE: Re: Welcome Brooklyn's own -- Isaiah Whitehead 

Post#82 » by NyCeEvO » Sat Oct 1, 2016 12:29 pm

DeRoma wrote:
Paradise wrote:If Kenny can develop his game similar to how he developed Schroeder. I think Whitehead could be our mini Kemba Walker.

He is a much better shooter than Kemba. He practices with Stephen Curry in the summers. I think he can be one of the best shooting PG in the NBA.

Just because he practices with Curry doesn't mean that we can project him to becoming a great shooter. Curry has been making ESPN highlights due to his exceptional shooting since he was a freshman at Davidson.

On a similar note, Roy Hibbert used to workout and practice with Tim Duncan every summer. How did that turn out lol?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
DeRoma
Veteran

Post#83 » by DeRoma » Sat Oct 1, 2016 1:39 pm

NyCeEvO wrote:
DeRoma wrote:

Just because he practices with Curry doesn't mean that we can project him to becoming a great shooter. Curry has been making ESPN highlights due to his exceptional shooting since he was a freshman at Davidson.

On a similar note, Roy Hibbert used to workout and practice with Tim Duncan every summer. How did that turn out lol?

I just think his jumpers are just so silky smooth and already looks good in college. Obviously shooting translate well to the NBA. I don't have a doubt that shooting will be his key weapon in order to be a good player.
jbeachboy
Assistant Coach
And1: 359

Post#84 » by jbeachboy » Sat Oct 1, 2016 10:52 pm

can whitehead playoff off the ball?
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#85 » by ChokeFasncists » Sun Oct 2, 2016 10:23 pm

NyCeEvO wrote:
DeRoma wrote:

OTOH, Curry practicing with Curry the elder probably helped. :wink:

jbeachboy wrote:can whitehead playoff off the ball?

Probably, but probably not his strength.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Welcome Brooklyn's own -- Isaiah Whitehead 

Post#86 » by NyCeEvO » Mon Oct 3, 2016 12:42 am

ChokeFasncists wrote:
NyCeEvO wrote:
DeRoma wrote:He is a much better shooter than Kemba. He practices with Stephen Curry in the summers. I think he can be one of the best shooting PG in the NBA.

I think good genes and a guard frame helped out a lot too lol.

jbeachboy wrote:can whitehead playoff off the ball?

Probably, but probably not his strength.

Agreed.

DeRoma
Veteran

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Welcome Brooklyn's own -- Isaiah Whitehead 

Post#87 » by DeRoma » Mon Oct 3, 2016 10:15 am

NyCeEvO wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:
NyCeEvO wrote:Just because he practices with Curry doesn't mean that we can project him to becoming a great shooter. Curry has been making ESPN highlights due to his exceptional shooting since he was a freshman at Davidson.

I think good genes and a guard frame helped out a lot too lol.

Whatever I'm telling you this guy a good shooter. It's the matter of how consistent is he, which will come in time. Thing is our offense is going to be so fast phase. Those style works perfectly well in the nab today.
DrCoach
General Manager
And1: 4,311

Post#88 » by DrCoach » Mon Oct 3, 2016 11:45 pm

Knick Fan Here.

I still think he is more Dion Waiter/ OJ Mayo-ish

If he can man he point, that would be huge for BK
Ror1997
Analyst
And1: 911

Post#89 » by Ror1997 » Sun Oct 9, 2016 5:16 am

Definitely liked what I saw tonight. As the season goes on, I could see him growing into the role that Tyler Johnson would've had with us.
jbeachboy
Assistant Coach
And1: 359

Post#90 » by jbeachboy » Sun Oct 9, 2016 8:10 pm

whitehead looked good in his first game, hoping he can build on this and get that shot going.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,248

Post#91 » by Papi_swav » Sun Oct 9, 2016 10:31 pm

His passing is underrated, he made some really good passes and his court vision looks like it's there. He almost made a couple turnovers but the potential is there. He just needs to penetrate more and try to get to the paint more. He looks very aggressive on defense as well and he over powered Jennings for a steal.
KlicKlac
Analyst
And1: 331

Post#92 » by KlicKlac » Thu Nov 3, 2016 8:15 pm

Time to revive this thread. So what are everyone's honest thoughts on Whitehead now?

To me, he seems to be a minus whenever he's on court. If he can make some shots, that'd just balance out all the horrendous TOs.

Hopefully he can improve in other areas, like defensive and ball handling.
Pistolpete1947
Pro Prospect
And1: 143

Post#93 » by Pistolpete1947 » Thu Nov 3, 2016 8:54 pm

KlicKlac wrote:Time to revive this thread. So what are everyone's honest thoughts on Whitehead now?

To me, he seems to be a minus whenever he's on court. If he can make some shots, that'd just balance out all the horrendous TOs.

Hopefully he can improve in other areas, like defensive and ball handling.

The man just doesn't look like a PG to me. For one thing his handles are very poor and he constantly loses the ball. His court vision also seems to be lacking and he forces shots. KA seems to have faith in him so maybe he does well in practice but I watched him in summer league and even against inexperienced players he didn't look good. Neither did Yogi or Rondae. The team did ok but would have been much better with a decent point guard. If KA wants to develop him then fine but I don't think he should play more than backup minutes (15-20) a game and he shouldn't start or finish games. With Foye and Vasquez out Skil should play the majority of pg minutes. He proved he could do so last night. Playing inexperienced players more than backup minutes is not "development" it's "tanking".
sprost
Sophomore
And1: 40

Post#94 » by sprost » Thu Nov 3, 2016 9:05 pm

I don't like being mean, but so far this year worst ball handling I've ever seen by a PG taking the NBA floor.

I challenge anyone to say anyone they remember any worse playing in the NBA, rookie or not.

Only short (shortened by injury) year in college (SHOOTING guard in high school and college) that ended disastrously with a 1st round exit shooting 4-24 and 0-10 downtown against Gonzaga...

{See this NY Post article headlines "Isaiah Whitehead should reject NBA after atrocious Seton Hall exit"}
"http://nypost.com/2016/03/18/the-isaiah-whitehead-party-crashed-but-should-continue-next-year/

...this college SG can not play PG and shows no evidence he ever can at an NBA level.

Not saying he shouldn't have a personal goal of being an NBA PG, but that's a lot different than thinking he should be elevated to that level now in any form or fashion. Just wonder how long it'll take for the rest of the fans/coaches to see what I concluded finally two games ago after seeing nothing suggesting otherwise in rest of the season, preseason, or Summer league.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#95 » by ChokeFasncists » Thu Nov 3, 2016 9:23 pm

I think he's best as the 3&D combo guard off the bench who can heat up quick.

With the motion offense, we don't need him to be the PG. SKil can help in that regard along with Vasq.

He's really raw but he's pretty talented. If he just does nothing but 3&D, the bench defense improves greatly.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
Pistolpete1947
Pro Prospect
And1: 143

Post#96 » by Pistolpete1947 » Thu Nov 3, 2016 9:52 pm

ChokeFasncists wrote:I think he's best as the 3&D combo guard off the bench who can heat up quick.

With the motion offense, we don't need him to be the PG. SKil can help in that regard along with Vasq.

He's really raw but he's pretty talented. If he just does nothing but 3&D, the bench defense improves greatly.

Right he doesn't need to be the pg and shouldn't be. He shouldn't bring the ball up the court because he can't dribble. Actually even in the motion offense he shouldn't be on the floor until he learns to dribble and protect the ball. He can get plenty of practice with this in the D league. Oh well we just see this different and arguing about it will not change our minds. We'll just have to watch and see how it pans out. Actually I hope I'm wrong about him and he does develop nicely because it would help the team. I also have a lot of respect for Atkinson but I'm just not seeing it.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#97 » by Prokorov » Thu Nov 3, 2016 11:27 pm

People need to realize he is a rookie... and a second rounder at that. few rookies can step in day 1 and look good. even lotto guys let alone the 42nd pick who is more a combo gaurd then a true point. even kris dunn has had some growing pains and looked bad at times ad he projects to be a potential all-star.
Ror1997
Analyst
And1: 911

Post#98 » by Ror1997 » Thu Nov 3, 2016 11:59 pm

Prokorov wrote:People need to realize he is a rookie... and a second rounder at that. few rookies can step in day 1 and look good. even lotto guys let alone the 42nd pick who is more a combo gaurd then a true point. even kris dunn has had some growing pains and looked bad at times ad he projects to be a potential all-star.

Most people thought he should've stayed in college for another year. Of course he's not going to be ready to play at the NBA level. I don't understand all the Whitehead heat either.
Jimmyftw
Sophomore
And1: 21

Post#99 » by Jimmyftw » Fri Nov 4, 2016 12:02 am

I think the potential is there, he has good ball handle, most of his turnovers are due to his decision making and thinking too much / pressure. He's a good passer but he has to be smarter in selecting his shots, this will come of course from experience.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,884

Post#100 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Nov 4, 2016 10:28 am

Some of you guys need to lay off the kid. He's a 2nd rd pick, not some top 5 prospect. He's got potential to be better, but he's going to make mistakes.

It amazes me the lack of foresight and patience I'm seeing on here with not only RHJ, but this kid as well.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe

Return to Brooklyn Nets