Sean Marks Performance thread: Take II

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Re: Sean Marks Performance thread: Take II 

Post#161 » by Prokorov » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:49 pm

kamaze wrote:
Paradise wrote:They've been looking at trading him for awhile now. He's not a good fit with Embiid now firmly at Center. Okafor is now a glorified backup and they will have to split minutes for Simmons and Saric at PF.

Noel has little room to develop in Philly. I'd be surprised if they held onto him in RFA.

Sent from my iPhone using [url=https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=75835]RealGM mobile

The process has been to trade players for picks and like you said they're trying to do so. Why would Philly change their mind and give Noel a max contract ?

to buy more time to trade him.
kamaze
General Manager
And1: 1,315

Post#162 » by kamaze » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:57 pm

Prokorov wrote:
kamaze wrote:
Paradise wrote:They've been looking at trading him for awhile now. He's not a good fit with Embiid now firmly at Center. Okafor is now a glorified backup and they will have to split minutes for Simmons and Saric at PF.

Noel has little room to develop in Philly. I'd be surprised if they held onto him in RFA.

Sent from my iPhone using [url=https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=75835]RealGM mobile

The process has been to trade players for picks and like you said they're trying to do so. Why would Philly change their mind and give Noel a max contract ?

Im not a gm but Id think it would be easier trading him now instead of on a max deal. Who would trade for a maxed out injury prone player?
I got the burner-Kevin Durant

Cream rises to the top-Nic Claxton
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#163 » by Prokorov » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:07 pm

kamaze wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
kamaze wrote:

Im not a gm but Id think it would be easier trading him now instead of on a max deal. Who would trade for a maxed out injury prone player?

alot of teams would. they see his age and the defense.

philly will trade him now if they can, to a team that would match on him in RFA.

either way its moot, only way we could get him is to trade for him and we dont have enough to do that
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#164 » by ChokeFasncists » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:27 pm

Prokorov wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:Last game Embiid rested Noel only got 10 mins.

Bogs + whichever wing they want + low pick for him?

they could likely do alot better.

Should we consider parting with a high pick for him.......?
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,910

Post#165 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:00 am

ChokeFasncists wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:Last game Embiid rested Noel only got 10 mins.

Bogs + whichever wing they want + low pick for him?

What pick? :lol: :lol:
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#166 » by ChokeFasncists » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:03 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

2 years after next?

I know, I know, it's a bit farfetched.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#167 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:04 am

ChokeFasncists wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:Should we consider parting with a high pick for him.......?

2 years after next?

I know, I know, it's a bit farfetched.

I don't want the Nets to trade any first rd picks for the next decade.

TheKiwi
Ballboy
And1: 14

Post#168 » by TheKiwi » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:18 am

Kiaora lads,

Figured I'd fire up the old account after a couple years downtime (too much uni), especially now that there are a couple of kiwis in the league to follow. One playing and one GMing, which I must confess is the reason I began to follow the Nets, however, it's nice to be watching younger players trying to forge their way in the league.

In terms of Marks GM'ing I'm not surprised at all in the culture change at all that's been clearly implemented, I personally wouldn't attribute it to a spursian approach but would be the same way I'd expect any NZer to run an organization, family first, loyal, valuing and rewarding hard work, no nonsense but encouraging and supportive I would like to think were cultural values here.

I think that this alone bode well for the future of the org, as well as communication appropriate to the millennial generation, and mordernisation of the training, medical and psychological programmed within the organization. These were a no brainer.

He has been dealt a fairly raw hand (I'm being generous to ol' mate billy here) and I think he's done what he can pretty aptly, and it'll be interesting to see how this DMo situation resolves, because that could be a real boon although I'm not sure Who gets waived in that scenario, a bridge to cross if we meet it.

One of the things I am possibly concerned about is his ability to make ruthless business moves where appropriate because he will feel a real sense of loyalty towards guys like skil and whitehead, and in my estimation with the tight knit team/family atmosphere he creates can make it emotionally hard to change things or cut guys who he might feel an (ir)rational loyalty to, only time will tell on that front, but is just a concern from someone from the same culture he grew up in. Nothing suggests that so far.

In terms of moving forward, I think that there is a little too much raw/low ceiling talent on the team (obviously not really by choice) and the veteran presence is needed in the locker room but it would be really nice to have some solid veteran presence on the court too (Lin and Lopez are about it and Lopez doesn't have great leadership qualities, and while a high character guy just isn't that vocal leader on the court. Maybe this opinion has been augmented by Lins absence who is more that style of on court leader. What I really think would benefit the team is another vocal leader, and I think we need to pick up a vet defensive center for a number of reasons:

1. The defense is horrid, really is.
2. Center is the most impactful defensive position (then small forward but we have rhj), whom I like coming off the bench ATM but that's another story.
3. On defense a center is the easiest position to be vocal from and help the younger guys out, especially in real time.
4. I think we have enough spacing (pseudo at our 3pnt%) to get a center who doesn't space the floor especially if we end up having DMo coming off the bench.
5. Someone like bogut (just throwing out a name as an example, but I think he'd be perfect but unless the mavs decided **** it and tanked (who knows what cubes has been meaning lately) likely unavailable and who knows what they'd want in return. But I think this is our biggest need.

I have been pleasantly surprised by Marks eye for talent, seriously the rookies this war have been abysmal - go have a look at the rookie rankings etc levert really could be the steal of the draft and a real prospect. If this holds to be true I really really want to trade into the first round this year (and hope IT stays injured for a while longer), I don't even think it has to be that high given the glut of talent there, I wonder what bogs can get us, or even skil (although I think he can be a good to great 6th man) you have to sell high, and neither are 2 way players on the wing which I think we desperately need more of, as well as having a plethora of wing options I think it becomes clear over the coming months who to keep and who to move at that position.

The only 2 who I view as untouchable are Lin and levert (+/- Lopez the price would have to be right though).

Just some random thoughts to chuck around, I don't think we get much in FA but marks eye for talent has been good enough for me to want to get into that draft quite high.
steady
Veteran
And1: 1,351

Post#169 » by steady » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:45 am

"The only 2 who I view as untouchable are Lin and levert (+/- Lopez the price would have to be right though)."

I agree with this - even though I would hate to see a lot of them go

I've not kept up on all DMo news, do Nets still have chance of getting him. I thought that that ship had sailed once he signed new contract with a Rocketsn
TheKiwi
Ballboy

Post#170 » by TheKiwi » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:14 am

steady wrote:"The only 2 who I view as untouchable are Lin and levert (+/- Lopez the price would have to be right though)."

I agree with this - even though I would hate to see a lot of them go

I've not kept up on all DMo news, do Nets still have chance of getting him. I thought that that ship had sailed once he signed new contract with a Rocketsn

My god my net in Samoa sucks I've tried to reply 3 times and it keeps dropping.

Yeah I'd hate to see them go too, I already have an emotional attachment an really want to see their development continue but I think At least some moves need to happen.

And with DMo well the whole thing is a mess, the nets have filed a formal complaint with the league, DMo has failed his physical with the rockets for (non) medical reasons, the league the nets and the rockets are in discussion to resolve the situation, which I think means were still in the conversation. The whole thing is a farce and who knows what the outcome will be because it's uncharted territory for the league. I just have a good? Feeling that he's going to end up a net, but we shall see haha.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#171 » by ChokeFasncists » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:29 am

A guy like Bogut, Noel or Adams is just what this team needs. With the gluts of wings we have now, I think we should package two of them along with a low pick to get one. (the emotional attachment is real)

Marks has done a phenomenal job so far, it's just great. What a great contrast to the previous GM. (Marks would admit that Pop has got a lot to do with it :wink:)

I don't think LV is untouchable, unless we know for sure his foot is fine. It just depends on what we're getting.

If we get DMo we need to waive someone, Foye? He was the only DNP.
Thanks for the honesty.
TheKiwi
Ballboy

Post#172 » by TheKiwi » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:46 am

ChokeFasncists wrote:A guy like Bogut, Noel or Adams is just what this team needs. With the gluts of wings we have now, I think we should package two of them along with a low pick to get one. (the emotional attachment is real)

Marks has done a phenomenal job so far, it's just great. What a great contrast to the previous GM. (Marks would admit that Pop has got a lot to do with it :wink:)

I don't think LV is untouchable, unless we know for sure his foot is fine. It just depends on what we're getting.

Yeah I don't think okc parts with Adams, I have doubts over Noel with all these injuries and I'd really prefer it to be a veteran on court defensive presence although his youth and potential make a compelling argument for that angle but I think bogut would be perfect. But I agree completely on this.

I think LV is untouchable right now given the lack of true 2way talent or potential on the team and I think we have to assume his foot is ok, the surgeon was the same who did Durante and WBs no? I think we just assume due diligence was done in that regard, because anyone can get injured at any point, and I would be very very very reluctant to move him for anything we would get for him.

And yeah I'd agree with foye from a playin perspective but I think we lack good veteran presence already and are a little heavy on projects, if we did waive him I'd want to be signing someone like bogut in the near future
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#173 » by ChokeFasncists » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:55 am

TheKiwi wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:A guy like Bogut, Noel or Adams is just what this team needs. With the gluts of wings we have now, I think we should package two of them along with a low pick to get one. (the emotional attachment is real)

Yeah I don't think okc parts with Adams, I have doubts over Noel with all these injuries and I'd really prefer it to be a veteran on court defensive presence although his youth and potential make a compelling argument for that angle but I think bogut would be perfect. But I agree completely on this.

Doesn't Bogut come with his own injuries problems?
I think LV is untouchable right now given the lack of true 2way talent or potential on the team and I think we have to assume his foot is ok, the surgeon was the same who did Durante and WBs no? I think we just assume due diligence was done in that regard, because anyone can get injured at any point, and I would be very very very reluctant to move him for anything we would get for him.

Na, some players are more of a risk than others. Jury's still out.

Reluctant, yes, but not untouchable.

We don't have anything to trade and we need a good defensive center. If he's what the other team really wants, so be it.
Thanks for the honesty.
shakendfries
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,063

Post#174 » by shakendfries » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:00 am

Mark my words...LeVert and RHJ will be to the Nets what Klay Thompson (Drafted 11th) and Jimmy Butler (Drafted 30th) are to their respective teams. They both have physical tools & defensive skills that are invaluable to teams with modern defensive schemes, where wings wreck havoc in passing lanes. They're untouchable until they're nearing the middle of their second NBA contracts, when we have an accurate read of what their ceilings may be.

You don't simply trade first round players on rookie deals for marginal talents who won't lead to an immediate championship contending window, and will likely be retired by the time the rooks mature into the prime of their careers. You'll look like an idiot if you trade for Bogut, and 3 years later when he reaches Birdman status, the player you traded starts performing like CJ McCollum.

Patience is a virtue and this losing sucks for everyone, but the only players that Marks should consider moving is Bojan....and maybe even Lopez for the right price (that he won't get for him if he keeps rebounding like this)

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
ImageImage

"Kevin Durant is not coming to the Nets. If I'm wrong, I will change my avatar to anything you request no matter how humiliating it is." - MrDollarBills, 10/22/18
TheKiwi
Ballboy

Post#175 » by TheKiwi » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:09 am

I'm not talking about trading for bogut long term (I just threw his name out there as an example, I don't even know what his contract looks like on the mavs) more as an example of the type of player that would help with defensive communication, veteran on court presence an helping organize the defense properly so that the younger guys get use to playing good defense with good habits, because I feel like our defense is so bad that we're developing bad habits in the young guys.

If we want for Noel that would be more a final type move, banking on him not brig an injury risk as well as putting a lot of our money and talent in the center position because he's probably getting the max as an rfa.

I think that you could make an arguement for rhj being untouchable too but besides him who else is? Bogs no, skil no, dwindiddie no, jhar and jham no. I think they are all moveable for draft picks especially in this massive draft with a GM with a good eye.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#176 » by ChokeFasncists » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:23 am

shakendfries wrote:

Mark my words...LeVert and RHJ will be to the Nets what Klay Thompson (Drafted 11th) and Jimmy Butler (Drafted 30th) are to their respective teams. They both have physical tools & defensive skills that are invaluable to teams with modern defensive schemes, where wings wreck havoc in passing lanes. They're untouchable until they're nearing the middle of their second NBA contracts, when we have an accurate read of what their ceilings may be.

You don't simply trade first round players on rookie deals for marginal talents who won't lead to an immediate championship contending window, and will likely be retired by the time the rooks mature into the prime of their careers. You'll look like an idiot if you trade for Bogut, and 3 years later when he reaches Birdman status, the player you traded starts performing like CJ McCollum.

Patience is a virtue and this losing sucks for everyone, but the only players that Marks should consider moving is Bojan....and maybe even Lopez for the right price (that he won't get for him if he keeps rebounding like this)

Na, I won't trade him for Bogut. (I did, in the same post, write that we need a player like Bogut and LV isn't untouchable but they are completely separate issues) (I said, "depends on what we're getting")

I would definitely do something like: LV + Bogs + Lopez for Towns/AD

LV + Lopez for Gobert would be nice.

LV + Bogs for Greek Freak if they really really like LV

LV + Bogs for Noel could be considered
Thanks for the honesty.
TheKiwi
Ballboy

Post#177 » by TheKiwi » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:29 am

Yeah don't think anyone is saying we trade lv for bogut haha, I also think that we don't get anywhere near the value for lv vs his potential which is why I say he's effectively untouchable, no ones actually untouchable besides maybe Lebron but for all intents and purposes
shakendfries
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,063

Post#178 » by shakendfries » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:42 am

Understood - us Nets fans may be on Crying Jordan Face mode for much of this season, but I want to see how the team plays with Lin, LeVert/Skil, RHJ/Harris, Booker, Lopez on the floor once the rook starts hitting his stride. Caris was polished at Michigan for the better half of 4 years, so I suspect he'll put together a few good games by the ASB at the latest

ImageImage

"Kevin Durant is not coming to the Nets. If I'm wrong, I will change my avatar to anything you request no matter how humiliating it is." - MrDollarBills, 10/22/18
TheKiwi
Ballboy

Post#179 » by TheKiwi » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:47 am

shakendfries wrote:Understood - us Nets fans may be on Crying Jordan Face mode for much of this season, but I want to see how the team plays with Lin, LeVert/Skil, RHJ/Harris, Booker, Lopez on the floor once the rook starts hitting his stride

Yeah, I think I covered most of those points in my original post haha just too many wings to develop ATM IMO and we need to pick and choose who we want to focus on and try and sure up other positions with either vets who bring something and can help teach the young guys, or pick up potential talent, especially with regards to bigs
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#180 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:55 am

We need to stick with the plan and develop these young players here. all the trade talk is moot. you guys want to ship people out because they're not ready yet but expect players like The Greek Freak or Rudy Gobert in return?

Return to Brooklyn Nets