The Official Ben Simmons Thread

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

Marvin Martian
Head Coach
And1: 5,068

Re: The Official Ben Simmons Thread 

Post#41 » by Marvin Martian » Sat Nov 4, 2023 12:27 am

Karate Diop wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:The problem with Ben is this he can be good but teams know what to expect from him at his best. And when they defend against that he has nothing new to give you.

I expect him to play well because he wants a new contract. But playing well and being a better version of his best self? I highly doubt that.

It's a multi-phase process... Step 1 is to get back to what he used to be, if he can do that we can then start dissecting what he needs to improve.

These next two years are strictly an experiment for the Nets when it comes to Simmons. It's free money almost.

THIS is what he used to be. A good defender but a half court offensive liability. The reason why he isn't producing is because defenses have adjusted after his rookie season and he hasn't found an answer since
Tha King
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Post#42 » by Tha King » Sat Nov 4, 2023 2:33 am

vincecarter4pres wrote:If he wasn’t a max salary player, the centerpiece of the Harden trade, and wasn’t a semi-recent #1 overall pick with a weird history, he would be a coveted player if he actually keeps this up with some slight improvement by knocking the rust off.

His shooting and free throws are so bad though, he’s always going to be a liability late in games, especially paired with a guy like Clax.

I am also not convinced he’ll keep it up.

But if you simply forget about his salary, his history and how he wound up on this roster, it would be easier to appreciate him as a great 30mpg high level role player.

yea he'd be great on teams like the Suns or Mavs

He's such a nonfactor scoring though which comes into play against good teams/in the playoffs where most of his playmaking (off transition) will be limited.
Eatgreenz
Senior
And1: 314

Post#43 » by Eatgreenz » Sat Nov 4, 2023 2:41 pm

I think Ben has been great. Creating open threes for our guys. Playing tough defense on perimeters players which im glad we are doing not trying to make him a center. His been communicating offensively and defensively. Just needs to be more aggressive when he gets his chances to attack. I still dont think his all the way back athleticism wise. He looks about 80% which he still isnt 18 months from his back surgery to heal. If that can get back 100% we can expect another step up. Plus his been rehabbing all summer so this is his first time playing competitive bball in months still knocking out rust give him some time 15-20games
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#44 » by vincecarter4pres » Sat Nov 4, 2023 4:03 pm

I think if he can just attack a hair more and finish at a higher percentage, he’s doing exactly what you want.

Maybe 11/8/7 with stellar defense, igniting the fast break at around 30mpg.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#45 » by vincecarter4pres » Sat Nov 4, 2023 4:06 pm

He gets a lot of hate, and some of it rightfully so. But if he can continue this for good, he’s a valuable player.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Marvin Martian
Head Coach

Post#46 » by Marvin Martian » Sat Nov 4, 2023 9:46 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:I think if he can just attack a hair more and finish at a higher percentage, he’s doing exactly what you want.

No he isn't. In Ben's current state, he cannot share the floor with Claxton, who averaged 30 mins last year. Having 2 non shooting threats is an offensive disaster.

He cannot average more than 20 mins when everyone is healthy
Decipher
Rookie
And1: 914

Post#47 » by Decipher » Sat Nov 4, 2023 10:22 pm

Marvin Martian wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:I think if he can just attack a hair more and finish at a higher percentage, he’s doing exactly what you want.

No he isn't. In Ben's current state, he cannot share the floor with Claxton, who averaged 30 mins last year. Having 2 non shooting threats is an offensive disaster.

Simmons?

Don’t think so

Read on Twitter
Marvin Martian
Head Coach

Post#48 » by Marvin Martian » Sun Nov 5, 2023 12:17 am

Decipher wrote:
Marvin Martian wrote:

Simmons?

Don’t think so

Read on Twitter

Sample size is WAY too small and you know it.
NetsJets
Starter
And1: 659

Post#49 » by NetsJets » Thu Nov 9, 2023 12:15 am

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=q9ZfAf_VfOcaELq9UpCt-A
EmperorLocky
Sixth Man
And1: 3,061

Post#50 » by EmperorLocky » Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:08 am

vincecarter4pres wrote:He gets a lot of hate, and some of it rightfully so. But if he can continue this for good, he’s a valuable player.

He's shot 4 free throw attempts in 191 minutes.

Simmons will be of no value come playoffs.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,248

Post#51 » by Papi_swav » Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:32 pm

this guy is done
Jammer
General Manager
And1: 2,874

Post#52 » by Jammer » Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:36 pm

Not a member of this Board, but a simple question:

Has Simmons ever feigned injury because there was a possibility that he'd be asked to come off the bench? In Philly or Brooklyn? Just wondering. Seemed like he sat out forever in Philly (for mental health reasons?) and now this latest episode.
NetsJets
Starter
And1: 659

Post#53 » by NetsJets » Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:52 pm

Jammer wrote:Not a member of this Board, but a simple question:

Has Simmons ever feigned injury because there was a possibility that he'd be asked to come off the bench? In Philly or Brooklyn? Just wondering. Seemed like he sat out forever in Philly (for mental health reasons?) and now this latest episode.

He has come off the bench here so that’s not an issue.
3pt_chucker
Head Coach
And1: 2,002

Post#54 » by 3pt_chucker » Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:39 pm

Ben Simmons is one of the few players in sports, that even when there is clear medical evidence that he's hurt, fans will still say he's faking the injury. So weird to me.

I'm not even a Ben Simmons supporter, heck I even hated him in his Philly days and boo'd him when I went to Nets vs Philly playoff game years ago, but he's clearly having back/nerve issues.

Does he still have issues when it comes to shooting/scoring the basketball? Yes but that's totally separate from him wanting to play basketball and being healthy.
Decipher
Rookie
And1: 914

Post#55 » by Decipher » Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:08 am

Read on Twitter
KnixtapeH20
RealGM
And1: 14,917

Post#56 » by KnixtapeH20 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:23 am

3pt_chucker wrote:Ben Simmons is one of the few players in sports, that even when there is clear medical evidence that he's hurt, fans will still say he's faking the injury. So weird to me.

I'm not even a Ben Simmons supporter, heck I even hated him in his Philly days and boo'd him when I went to Nets vs Philly playoff game years ago, but he's clearly having back/nerve issues.

Does he still have issues when it comes to shooting/scoring the basketball? Yes but that's totally separate from him wanting to play basketball and being healthy.

I don't see too many ppl making comments that he's faking I think it moreso has to do w the albatross contract, but even more than that he's comical in his ability to play ball especially offensively. His unavailability just adds to it.. his career falls in line w the Mets, Jets & Knicks
Eatgreenz
Senior
And1: 314

Post#57 » by Eatgreenz » Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:20 pm

3pt_chucker wrote:Ben Simmons is one of the few players in sports, that even when there is clear medical evidence that he's hurt, fans will still say he's faking the injury. So weird to me.

Im so confused this almost extreme hate he gets like he pulls draymond antics on the court. See interviews of Ben he really seems like an alright guy. Beal has back spasms going on right now and you wont hear nothing about it. But with bens its make believe
Marvin Martian
Head Coach

Post#58 » by Marvin Martian » Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:56 pm

Eatgreenz wrote:

Im so confused this almost extreme hate he gets like he pulls draymond antics on the court. See interviews of Ben he really seems like an alright guy. Beal has back spasms going on right now and you wont hear nothing about it. But with bens its make believe

The hate is that he is coming into every season worse than the previous one, which suggests that he isn't putting in the work to protect his body and expand his game. Actions speak louder than words
Karate Diop
General Manager
And1: 9,843

Post#59 » by Karate Diop » Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:59 pm

Marvin Martian wrote:
Eatgreenz wrote:

The hate is that he is coming into every season worse than the previous one, which suggests that he isn't putting in the work to protect his body and expand his game. Actions speak louder than words

That's not a true statement though...
Marvin Martian
Head Coach

Post#60 » by Marvin Martian » Sun Nov 19, 2023 11:18 pm

Karate Diop wrote:
Marvin Martian wrote:
Eatgreenz wrote:Im so confused this almost extreme hate he gets like he pulls draymond antics on the court. See interviews of Ben he really seems like an alright guy. Beal has back spasms going on right now and you wont hear nothing about it. But with bens its make believe

That's not a true statement though...

When was he better?

Return to Brooklyn Nets