ImageImageImageImageImage

The Official Ben Simmons Thread

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Re: The Official Ben Simmons Thread 

Post#61 » by ecuhus1981 » Mon Dec 4, 2023 5:34 am

The latest news is Ben is getting an epidural, and will be evaluated again in 2 weeks. I feel for him, this is part of why I can't trust building around him. His back is never gonna be 100% again.

Our best hope is that he can sustain 95% health in his back for a long time, and that he finally adapts and expand his scoring prowess a lil bit.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
sashaturiaf
Veteran
And1: 2,826

Post#62 » by sashaturiaf » Mon Dec 4, 2023 2:37 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:The latest news is Ben is getting an epidural, and will be evaluated again in 2 weeks. I feel for him, this is part of why I can't trust building around him. His back is never gonna be 100% again.

Our best hope is that he can sustain 95% health in his back for a long time, and that he finally adapts and expand his scoring prowess a lil bit.

This feels like Dwight Howard all over again. Ben will probably never be a star again with these back issues but he can still be a good role player if he buys in. Ben at 80% peak athleticism is still a good athlete
Marvin Martian
Head Coach
And1: 5,071

Post#63 » by Marvin Martian » Mon Dec 4, 2023 6:22 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:The latest news is Ben is getting an epidural, and will be evaluated again in 2 weeks. I feel for him, this is part of why I can't trust building around him. His back is never gonna be 100% again.

Our best hope is that he is traded. What you are asking for, is the same thing the NBA world has been asking for since his rookie year. If he hasn't figured it out then, he won't do it now. DSJ does the same thing as Ben but at least he is aggressive on offense
ChuckS
Bench Warmer
And1: 213

Post#64 » by ChuckS » Mon Dec 4, 2023 10:05 pm

Marvin Martian wrote:

Our best hope is that he is traded. What you are asking for, is the same thing the NBA world has been asking for since his rookie year. If he hasn't figured it out then, he won't do it now. DSJ does the same thing as Ben but at least he is aggressive on offense

I will admit this right up front, although I am sure it is no secret. I'm weird! Like everyone else, I marveled at Magic and Michael, but to this day my favorites at their positions are still Oscar and West. I initially attributed that to a long ago youthful exuberance. But then it got worse. When I followed the Sixers with Iverson and Barkley, my favorites were Iguodala and Miller. I thought it was just an Andre thing. I knew it was hopeless when I followed Dre to GS. With KD, Steph, Klay, and Draymond, my favorites were still Iguodala and Livingston. I write this just to prove that I can and do enjoy DSJ, and to apologize for believing that comparing him to Ben Simmons is a bit hyperbolic. He, too, is not an offensive threat, with career averages of 10 PPG at 40/30% shooting with six teams.

In my opinion no 6'3" defensive guru (with I think the same wingspan) can be compared to one 6'10" who has made two 1st team all defensive teams (while leading the league in steals one year), by proving he could excel defending 5 positions. I have felt that our recent defensive abominations have, in no small way, been attributable to his absences.

I'll also admit that Ben is more old school than guys like Steph, Dame, or Young. and will never be as offensively aggressive. But that defensive prowess, speed, and court vision, has earned him three all-star appearances. He cannot shoot threes, but combined with the fore-mentioned virtues, his 16 PPG at a career 56% overall efficiency did not keep him from being rated by one site as the eighth best point guard in his last year in Philly (12th by Hollinger, by PER, an offensive measure). As is common, some will choose to measure his worth by the 6.9 PPG (at the same 56%) when hurt while here, I choose to not do so at this time.
Stone
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,467

Post#65 » by Stone » Tue Dec 5, 2023 12:39 am

The curious case of Ben 10 Simmons. We had a trusted Nets beat reporter Brian Lewis tell us Ben should be okay in I think 2 or three weeks. And now we hear he needs an Epidural shot. I know this is ancedotal but the only person I knew personally with serious back issues had three epidurals and they didn't do much to alleviate pain for more than a day or two.

Ben has already missed 2/3 of the season. Now we are looking at a minimum of two weeks plus ramp up. Would early January be reasonable for a return?
The man who sleeps on the floor can never fall out of bed........Martin Lawrence
bubonicphoniks
Bench Warmer
And1: 897

Post#66 » by bubonicphoniks » Tue Dec 5, 2023 10:48 pm

Most frustrating NBA player ever.

Can't wait until he is out of the league like he deserves.
Decipher
Rookie
And1: 914

Post#67 » by Decipher » Wed Dec 6, 2023 10:21 am

bubonicphoniks wrote:Most frustrating NBA player ever.

Deserves to be injured is quite the take
Minnamaker
Sophomore
And1: 100

Post#68 » by Minnamaker » Wed Dec 6, 2023 10:37 am

Decipher wrote:

That is quite a twist of words
ChuckS
Bench Warmer
And1: 213

Post#69 » by ChuckS » Wed Dec 6, 2023 3:45 pm

Minnamaker wrote:
Decipher wrote:

That is quite a twist of words

Perhaps. But correct or not I saw that as more of as an interpretation of meaning. I, too, wonder why a young, talented, seemingly decent, player, with a potentially career threatening condition, deserves to be out of the league. Maybe Ben's fighting a losing battle, but it is an important one. I've seen one, more tragic, youthful NBA tragedy, so I'm sure life without the NBA will still be great for a young millionaire. But as a long time fan of the game I would feel his loss.

I just do not understand the animus. I hate to be repetitious, but once again I'll mention that we've seen numerous cases of non child support, often with multiple mothers, a killing, fans attacked in the stands and bars, spousal abuse, a woman's car "destroyed" with her in it by a "posse", drug and other arrests, a little girl spit on (though I'm sure she was not the target), and I think incidents I've forgotten.

I understand fans, as fervent as I once was, bemoaning his absence at the financial cost to their team. I just do not think it's Ben's fault.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#70 » by ecuhus1981 » Thu Dec 7, 2023 3:58 am

"Deserves" is a strong reaction.

I don't think he wanted a gruesome back injury. Some people believe it's CoD-related, but I think it's more just the luck of the draw with athletes and injuries. Especially 6'10 bulky, muscular athletes who make a living by guarding the smallest, shiftiest players on the court.

I wish him the best in his recovery, and I hope we never pin our hopes on building around him again. If he's not humble enough to accept a small role off the bench, we should sit him. No ill will, it's just not in the cards for him to be a ball dominant dude anymore.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,248

Post#71 » by Papi_swav » Thu Dec 7, 2023 4:06 am

I honestly forgot this guy is still on the team. He can stay where he's at, just pay him to stay home at this point. We're playing good without him
bubonicphoniks
Bench Warmer
And1: 897

Post#72 » by bubonicphoniks » Thu Dec 7, 2023 8:29 am

If I don't perform at my job, have a bad attitude, refuse to improve on my weaknesses then I deserve to be out of my job. If I can't be available to my job then I also hold no value to them.

Ben has showed absolute brain dead decision making. Basically robbing teams of their money and showing up looking like a clown on the bench etc. He really comes off as an extremely ungrateful dishonest selfish person.

The NBA will be more enjoyable when he is out of it for me. Youre entitled to your opinions I am entitled to mine. I think it's cute you guys will stick your necks out there for him but truthfully he doesn't seem to care about you or the game I love.
Stone
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,467

Post#73 » by Stone » Sat Dec 9, 2023 6:17 pm

https://www.netsdaily.com/2023/12/9/23994689/lewis-ben-simmons-agent-says-hes-progressing-after-epidural-could-be-days-to-weeks-away

The plot thickens.

Brian Lewis reporting Ben could be "Days to weeks away". It doesn't say anything about the western road trip. Hopefully he is starting t ramp up and will be ready soon.
The man who sleeps on the floor can never fall out of bed........Martin Lawrence
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,599

Post#74 » by TheNetsFan » Sat Dec 9, 2023 7:32 pm

Stone wrote:https://www.netsdaily.com/2023/12/9/23994689/lewis-ben-simmons-agent-says-hes-progressing-after-epidural-could-be-days-to-weeks-away

The plot thickens.

Brian Lewis reporting Ben could be "Days to weeks away". It doesn't say anything about the western road trip. Hopefully he is starting t ramp up and will be ready soon.

I wouldn't make guys with back issues (Ben and DSJ), do all that traveling. Sit them until the team returns.
Marvin Martian
Head Coach

Post#75 » by Marvin Martian » Sat Dec 9, 2023 9:05 pm

I think Simmons has played his last game for the Nets. He has no useful role on this team. Claxton is healthy and Sharpe has emerged as a quality backup big man. 2 players that Simmons cannot share the floor with. Not to mention that DSJ is a better defensive player than Simmons and provides more offense. Marks must be quietly making some calls hence why Simmons isn't being rushed to play. They do not want him to get a serious injury that would make him untradeable
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,177

Post#76 » by Keith Van Horn » Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:59 pm

Is it now impossible to trade this guy? I'm done. I get so POed just looking at him in his $600 jeans on the bench each night, while the other guys are all out there pushing themselves to get every win.

The only way to move him will be to take on a bigger/bloated deal huh?

Maybe there's someone that JV and squad could do a career revive with?
Marvin Martian
Head Coach

Post#77 » by Marvin Martian » Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:05 pm

Keith Van Horn wrote:Is it now impossible to trade this guy? I'm done. I get so POed just looking at him in his $600 jeans on the bench each night, while the other guys are all out there pushing themselves to get every win.

The only way to move him will be to take on a bigger/bloated deal huh?

Maybe there's someone that JV and squad could do a career revive with?

That is the only hope. Have to trade Ben and find more Mikal Bridges type players who are skilled but being underutilized on their current team (e.g. Johnathan Issac)
LeonJordanJr24
Sixth Man
And1: 550

Post#78 » by LeonJordanJr24 » Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:03 pm

Simmons for Tobias Harris ?
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,248

Post#79 » by Papi_swav » Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:20 am

Marvin Martian wrote:I think Simmons has played his last game for the Nets. He has no useful role on this team. Claxton is healthy and Sharpe has emerged as a quality backup big man. 2 players that Simmons cannot share the floor with. Not to mention that DSJ is a better defensive player than Simmons and provides more offense. Marks must be quietly making some calls hence why Simmons isn't being rushed to play. They do not want him to get a serious injury that would make him untradeable

he is untradeable
NetsJets
Starter
And1: 659

Post#80 » by NetsJets » Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:58 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=q9ZfAf_VfOcaELq9UpCt-A

Return to Brooklyn Nets