ImageImageImageImageImage

The Official Ben Simmons Thread

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

Netaman
Analyst
And1: 1,069

Re: The Official Ben Simmons Thread 

Post#101 » by Netaman » Thu Mar 7, 2024 5:18 pm

Honestly this is a good thing. It's closure. He's done being a counted upon NBA player. He is a 40m expiring that will probably be eligible for disabled player exception next year.

Now Marks knows the deal. He has basically 12 months to use the expiring. Get cranking.
NetsWorld
Starter
And1: 1,030

Post#102 » by NetsWorld » Thu Mar 7, 2024 7:22 pm

So JV game planned for a man the FO knew would be unreliable; they also got rid of Kyrie because of him being "unreliable" and here we are, they decided close to Simmons last year of his deal to shut him down this season. As Harden said two years ago before requesting out of this disaster, this organization has dysfunction at the top and the FO. While KO is doing a better job IMO and somewhat starting to help this team get out of the drowning it has been in, a lot of work needs to be done and there is much to be desired. Shutting Simmons down MAY very well be a sign the team has insight that there will be superstars asking out this Summer. I would not be surprised.
Sharcm1
Veteran
And1: 688

Post#103 » by Sharcm1 » Thu Mar 7, 2024 10:56 pm

You just have to laugh at this point
Karate Diop
General Manager
And1: 9,843

Post#104 » by Karate Diop » Thu Mar 7, 2024 11:29 pm

Netaman wrote:Honestly this is a good thing. It's closure. He's done being a counted upon NBA player. He is a 40m expiring that will probably be eligible for disabled player exception next year.

Now Marks knows the deal. He has basically 12 months to use the expiring. Get cranking.

That's basically how I feel... we gave it a shot, he just can't stay healthy. Maybe someone out there has a bench role for him, but he's just too injury prone to be relied upon.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#105 » by ecuhus1981 » Fri Mar 8, 2024 12:49 am

It's time to fire Sean Marks. I hope Ben heals, for his life's sake. His career is over. No one will sign him to a guaranteed deal over the minimum, no one will offer him a rotation role until he stays healthy for a long stretch, and he's not hungry enough to play basketball with the dollars and role he's accustomed to having.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
Stone
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,467

Post#106 » by Stone » Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:33 pm

Ben has had another surgery. As stated he is expected back by next training camp.

Read on Twitter
?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1768342033352045003%7Ctwgr%5Ee1eb353b7cede03e32f0f6c684b25b0bd904a7be%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.netsdaily.com%2F2024%2F3%2F14%2F24101080%2Fben-simmons-undergoes-back-surgery-expected-back-by-training-camp
The man who sleeps on the floor can never fall out of bed........Martin Lawrence
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#107 » by vincecarter4pres » Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:15 pm

I don’t hate Ben the person. I don’t even hate Ben the player. But I hate his situation. Hate it for him. But it also sucks as a fan. And I think a lot of people still won’t admit to themselves that he has some serious medical issues, and he’s not just this headcase who’s, “faking it.”

It’s really a shame. Hope for the best for him. At least he got to make a ton of money and got a taste of the NBA on court.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#108 » by ecuhus1981 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:57 pm

I think the fan resentment comes from Simmons never listening to coaches, scouts and other players taking him to diversify his game. Even at his physical and psychological peak, if he never had a degenerative back injury, his game wouldn't translate to today's NBA as well as it did when he got to the league. He needed to add elements to his game to adapt to the changing approach on both sides of the ball, and refused.

The shameless trumpeting of his agent doesn't help, either. He fired his last agent because he wants nothing but sycophants around him, an echo chamber of his own ego. The back stuff is horrendous, but response to it sealed his fate.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,889

Post#109 » by Hello Brooklyn » Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:44 pm

I blame Sean Marks more than I do Ben Simmons.

Yes he struck gold with the KD/Kyrie signings. But then he made a massive mistake in trading for Harden without getting a long term commitment. And then trading for Simmons without making sure he was ready and able to play.

Both are unforgivable mistakes that set this franchise back massively.

With Simmons its obvious he just isn't the same physically as he once was. And I'm not sure he can ever play again.
NetsJets
Starter
And1: 659

Post#110 » by NetsJets » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:52 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=q9ZfAf_VfOcaELq9UpCt-A
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#111 » by vincecarter4pres » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:15 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:I blame Sean Marks more than I do Ben Simmons.

Yes he struck gold with the KD/Kyrie signings. But then he made a massive mistake in trading for Harden without getting a long term commitment. And then trading for Simmons without making sure he was ready and able to play.

With Simmons its obvious he just isn't the same physically as he once was. And I'm not sure he can ever play again.

It was a bad trade, no way around it, just awful.

The Harden to Brooklyn one is understandable and forgivable to an extent.

But the Simmons one with Harden to Philly is a huge mark on Marks. He should have at least demanded Harris as the salary filler and the 2nd pick shouldn’t have had any worse than permanent top 3 protection.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#112 » by vincecarter4pres » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:16 pm

NetsJets wrote:
Read on Twitter

Translation: We need to keep his expiring contract as salary filler for any perspective trades, and if none happen maybe he can play about 50-60 games before he is off the books and opens up cap space the summer of ‘25.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,889

Post#113 » by Hello Brooklyn » Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:41 am

vincecarter4pres wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:I blame Sean Marks more than I do Ben Simmons.

It was a bad trade, no way around it, just awful.

The Harden to Brooklyn one is understandable and forgivable to an extent.

But the Simmons one with Harden to Philly is a huge mark on Marks. He should have at least demanded Harris as the salary filler and the 2nd pick shouldn’t have had any worse than permanent top 3 protection.

I think Harden was worse. You can't give up all your picks and pick swaps without making sure Harden wants to commit long term.

Who were we even betting against? Houston was never trading to Morey.

There was no need at all to include all those unprotected pick swaps. It was overkill.

With Simmons, it was hard to predict his total collapse.
Netaman
Analyst
And1: 1,069

Post#114 » by Netaman » Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:39 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:
NetsJets wrote:
Read on Twitter

Translation: We need to keep his expiring contract as salary filler for any perspective trades, and if none happen maybe he can play about 50-60 games before he is off the books and opens up cap space the summer of ‘25.

i think the translation is there is a big expiring available for trade if you want to dump salary. no buyout.
NetsJets
Starter
And1: 659

Post#115 » by NetsJets » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:38 am

If you guys fall for this then I have a bridge to sell you in Manhattan.

Read on Twitter

Return to Brooklyn Nets