GT: Nets @ Miami Heat 11/1 - 7:30PM EST

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

Karate Diop
General Manager
And1: 9,858

Re: GT: Nets @ Miami Heat 11/1 - 7:30PM EST 

Post#21 » by Karate Diop » Thu Nov 2, 2023 2:05 am

Marvin Martian wrote:
Karate Diop wrote:Next step is for Ben to start attacking when he's got that much space... Also I hate this handoff plays we run for Mikal almost every single play in the clutch...

That has been the next step for Ben for the past 3 years. He hasn't fixed it then and he won't fix it now

Not sure if I agree, Ben has had stretches in his career when Embiid was out where he stepped up offensively simply by relentlessly attacking the basket.

Maybe he'll never get to that level again, but there's definite room for reasonable improvement...

It was an overall uneven game for Simmons but again compared to last year we're still seeing a much better player.
Stone
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,478

Post#22 » by Stone » Thu Nov 2, 2023 2:13 am

This game had all the earmarks of another heartbreaker. Really good to see Armani Brooks and Trendon Watford get some serious burn and light it up. It would be good if Jacque goes to these guys when someone is having an off night
The man who sleeps on the floor can never fall out of bed........Martin Lawrence
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,324

Post#23 » by Papi_swav » Thu Nov 2, 2023 2:16 am

wow what a fun game, everybody played a part. Armani Brooks is a straight flamethrower and Watson gave us a nice punch attacking the rim. DFS and O'neale has been shooting too good from 3. Bridges made clutch plays. Ben is resorting back to his old ways, didn't play well today and you can tell the HEATs gameplan was to stop Cam but our bench picked us up. Our team defense is terrific!

This team is going to be tough to beat with our depth and all these guys contributing. All we need is a legit star on the wings, we have an abundance of role players.
Decipher
Rookie
And1: 968

Post#24 » by Decipher » Thu Nov 2, 2023 2:20 am

To give JV credit, he’s got the team playing with spirit

To give Marks credit, this roster is deep
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,911

Post#25 » by Rich Rane » Thu Nov 2, 2023 2:23 am

My personal play of the game actually goes to Ben Simmons. Didn't give up on that turnover and chased it down.
Marvin Martian
General Manager
And1: 5,246

Post#26 » by Marvin Martian » Thu Nov 2, 2023 2:33 am

Karate Diop wrote:
Marvin Martian wrote:
Karate Diop wrote:Next step is for Ben to start attacking when he's got that much space... Also I hate this handoff plays we run for Mikal almost every single play in the clutch...

That has been the next step for Ben for the past 3 years. He hasn't fixed it then and he won't fix it now

Not sure if I agree, Ben has had stretches in his career when Embiid was out where he stepped up offensively simply by relentlessly attacking the basket.

Maybe he'll never get to that level again, but there's definite room for reasonable improvement...

It was an overall uneven game for Simmons but again compared to last year we're still seeing a much better player.

I disagree. This is the same Ben Simmons. We have lowered the bar for him and this team because the superstars have left so there is no pressure for him to perform.

He had 4 points today when the team was down 3 starters. Outshined by G-league scrubs.

This is not a prospect. This is a veteran who has been tested numerous times throughout his career and failed most of them.

Replace Ben with a real all star and we are a top 4 seed
Netaman
Analyst
And1: 1,070

Post#27 » by Netaman » Thu Nov 2, 2023 3:06 am

well that's one of the best wins this franchise has had since the Milwaukee series.

the marksman just doesn't miss. brooks, watford, walker all great performances.

as great as the win was i had a hard time not thinking about how awesome it would be to also have herro with this group too. not sure there are more than a couple more talented shooters than him in the entire league.

neither bridges and simmons has had their A game yet but both still contribute in a bunch of ways. Cam was off and still has some ball stopper tendencies. but hard to complain about much. 2-2 is probably about what they deserve to be but given the injuries and schedules that's impressive. pretty sure this team is going to end up better than .500.
Dangun
Pro Prospect
And1: 263

Post#28 » by Dangun » Thu Nov 2, 2023 4:00 am

Just when I turned the game on I had to turn it off and do some chores and missed a comeback victory damnit. I knew they'd pull it off at the end, but was wrong about another 30 piece from thomas haha.. this team could actually be contenders if simmons goes back to his old self... thomas and bridges developing into a one-two punch and they are surrounded by really good role players... I'm hoping nothing changes and the team stay the same to see how far this squad can go
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,324

Post#29 » by Papi_swav » Thu Nov 2, 2023 4:01 am

Netaman wrote:well that's one of the best wins this franchise has had since the Milwaukee series.

the marksman just doesn't miss. brooks, watford, walker all great performances.

as great as the win was i had a hard time not thinking about how awesome it would be to also have herro with this group too. not sure there are more than a couple more talented shooters than him in the entire league.

neither bridges and simmons has had their A game yet but both still contribute in a bunch of ways. Cam was off and still has some ball stopper tendencies. but hard to complain about much. 2-2 is probably about what they deserve to be but given the injuries and schedules that's impressive. pretty sure this team is going to end up better than .500.

we could of easily been 4-0
bubonicphoniks
Bench Warmer
And1: 930

Post#30 » by bubonicphoniks » Thu Nov 2, 2023 4:14 am

Fun to root for this team
NetsJets
Starter
And1: 659

Post#31 » by NetsJets » Thu Nov 2, 2023 4:17 am

Gutsy win last night. Everyone contributed positively. We have a lot of guys that deserve playing time but there’s only so many minutes. Watford balled out for us, he hit some big buckets. Brooks hit some key shots, DFS and O’Neale were steady as usual. Mikal took us home down the stretch. That block by Ben after the turnover was a highlight play.
NetsJets
Starter

Post#32 » by NetsJets » Thu Nov 2, 2023 4:20 am

therealbig3 wrote:Honestly, does anyone see Simmons do anything offensively? Like, I have zero idea what he actually does for the offense in any way. He immediately passes it and just stands there any time he catches the ball. Like, literally just being able to hit an open 3 makes you a way more valuable player offensively than Simmons.

I don't think his defense is all that either, I actually think he's pretty much always out of the play.

We play 4 on 5 with him out there. At least a guy like Draymond (who people compare Ben to) is willing to shoot to keep defenses honest.
Rainwater
General Manager
And1: 5,793

Post#33 » by Rainwater » Thu Nov 2, 2023 5:31 am

Karate Diop wrote:
Marvin Martian wrote:

Quick question, why is it that Brooklyn keeps doing that handoff play with Ben? It's quite annoying, I feel like he could do so much more than that. I feel like all Vaughn wants him to do is bring it up, set a screen and hand it off. After that they just stick him in the dunkers position where they end up playing 5 on 4. I wish they would actually use him on ball more, have him drive where he would have the option to score at the rim or kick it out. I just don't think Brooklyn is fully using his abilities.
Marvin Martian
General Manager
And1: 5,246

Post#34 » by Marvin Martian » Thu Nov 2, 2023 6:28 am

Rainwater wrote:
Karate Diop wrote:
Marvin Martian wrote:That has been the next step for Ben for the past 3 years. He hasn't fixed it then and he won't fix it now

Quick question, why is it that Brooklyn keeps doing that handoff play with Ben? It's quite annoying, I feel like he could do so much more than that. I feel like all Vaughn wants him to do is bring it up, set a screen and hand it off. After that they just stick him in the dunkers position where they end up playing 5 on 4. I wish they would actually use him on ball more, have him drive where he would have the option to score at the rim or kick it out. I just don't think Brooklyn is fully using his abilities.

He cannot drive or do anything in the half court. He is not aggressive and does not have any touch at the rim.

The handoffs minimizes the damage that Simmons does to the offense by getting him away from the rim and freeing up shooters and drivers.

The problem is that Claxton can do the same thing but better
Decipher
Rookie
And1: 968

Post#35 » by Decipher » Thu Nov 2, 2023 10:44 am

Read on Twitter
3pt_chucker
Head Coach
And1: 2,002

Post#36 » by 3pt_chucker » Thu Nov 2, 2023 3:12 pm

I've talked a lot of s*** about JV but he had a good game last night. He needs to keep that up.

This team has enough talent and depth to be 40+ wins. Keep it going.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,941

Post#37 » by Hello Brooklyn » Thu Nov 2, 2023 4:14 pm

This team has some real talent.

Bridges and Cam are both fringe all stars at this point.

I think the fact that Simmons and Claxton can't play together is a concern.

At this point I would look to rebuild Simmon's value as much as possible and trade him. Certain teams could certainly use him.
NetsJets
Starter

Post#38 » by NetsJets » Thu Nov 2, 2023 7:30 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:This team has some real talent.

Bridges and Cam are both fringe all stars at this point.

I think the fact that Simmons and Claxton can't play together is a concern.

At this point I would look to rebuild Simmon's value as much as possible and trade him. Certain teams could certainly use him.

A guard that can’t or won’t shoot is ridiculous
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,105

Post#39 » by therealbig3 » Fri Nov 3, 2023 10:06 am

Rich Rane wrote:My personal play of the game actually goes to Ben Simmons. Didn't give up on that turnover and chased it down.

Agreed…although if we were to look closer at the play, he was immediately trying to get rid of the ball because he didn’t want it in his hands for too long, which the Heat knew, which is what led to the TO in the first place. He had another similar TO where he ended up throwing it out of bounds, because he was just trying to get the ball out of his hands.

And in the half court, his entire offense is a dribble hand off and screen at the 3pt line which consistently opens up nothing. And he’s so afraid of having to shoot FTs that even when he catches it anywhere near the basket, he rushes a sloppy shot with zero touch that misses. Like the blown layup or the weird reverse alley oop he tried instead of just catching it, coming down with it, and going back up. It’s all because he’s terrified with the ball in his hands and is terrified of going to the FT line.
Minnamaker
Sophomore
And1: 100

Post#40 » by Minnamaker » Fri Nov 3, 2023 2:47 pm

therealbig3 wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:My personal play of the game actually goes to Ben Simmons. Didn't give up on that turnover and chased it down.

Agreed…although if we were to look closer at the play, he was immediately trying to get rid of the ball because he didn’t want it in his hands for too long, which the Heat knew, which is what led to the TO in the first place. He had another similar TO where he ended up throwing it out of bounds, because he was just trying to get the ball out of his hands.

And in the half court, his entire offense is a dribble hand off and screen at the 3pt line which consistently opens up nothing. And he’s so afraid of having to shoot FTs that even when he catches it anywhere near the basket, he rushes a sloppy shot with zero touch that misses. Like the blown layup or the weird reverse alley oop he tried instead of just catching it, coming down with it, and going back up. It’s all because he’s terrified with the ball in his hands and is terrified of going to the FT line.
Exactly what I thought. Simmons has to understand that getting to the line is a good thing, even if he shoots 30%. You don't to rely on him in crunch time, but otherwise it helps getting players in foul trouble and the team in the penalty.

Return to Brooklyn Nets