ImageImageImageImageImage

What is Cam Thomas’ ceiling?

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,571

Re: What is Cam Thomas’ ceiling? 

Post#21 » by 76ciology » Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:34 pm

My point about Nurkic and Porzingis is that you need big men whom the defense can't afford to switch on screen plays. Currently, good teams can comfortably switch a smaller player (mostly from 2-4 positions) onto Claxton or Cam Johnson because both can't punish a smaller defender effectively.

Regarding building around Cam Thomas, what I'm saying is you can (“can” not “should”) build around Cam Thomas by having multiple players who can punish teams that switch on screen plays, draw extra help, and then kick it out to the open man. When all else fails, that's when you involve Cam Thomas, similar to how the Celtics utilize Tatum.

I don't mean to imply that you should just give the ball to Cam Thomas and let him run the offense like Luka. That style isn't conducive to winning basketball because it becomes too predictable and taxing.

I believe Cam's usage rate is too high; he needs to focus on efficiency. However, this won't happen with the current roster, which is more suited for a player like Luka who can run the offense, create shots, and facilitate for open shooters.

Ultimately, Cam is still a work in progress. We don't know how good or bad he'll become, but his potential is promising. His elite isolation scoring is a valuable skill typically seen in star players. With more talented teammates and a better coach to alleviate pressure, he can focus on efficiency, have more energy for defense, and pass the ball effectively with better teammates.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Dangun
Pro Prospect
And1: 262

Post#22 » by Dangun » Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:59 pm

76ciology wrote:My point about Nurkic and Porzingis is that you need big men whom the defense can't afford to switch on screen plays. Currently, good teams can comfortably switch a smaller player (mostly from 2-4 positions) onto Claxton or Cam Johnson because both can't punish a smaller defender effectively.

Regarding building around Cam Thomas, what I'm saying is you can (“can” not “should”) build around Cam Thomas by having multiple players who can punish teams that switch on screen plays, draw extra help, and then kick it out to the open man. When all else fails, that's when you involve Cam Thomas, similar to how the Celtics utilize Tatum.

I don't mean to imply that you should just give the ball to Cam Thomas and let him run the offense like Luka. That style isn't conducive to winning basketball because it becomes too predictable and taxing.

I believe Cam's usage rate is too high; he needs to focus on efficiency. However, this won't happen with the current roster, which is more suited for a player like Luka who can run the offense, create shots, and facilitate for open shooters.

Ultimately, Cam is still a work in progress. We don't know how good or bad he'll become, but his potential is promising. His elite isolation scoring is a valuable skill typically seen in star players. With more talented teammates and a better coach to alleviate pressure, he can focus on efficiency, have more energy for defense, and pass the ball effectively with better teammates.

Dangun
Pro Prospect
And1: 262

Post#23 » by Dangun » Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:02 pm

Ollie might be the one to fully unlock Thomas

Last 9 games

37mpg 26ppg 47%fg 35%3pt 90%ft 5reb 4ast .7stl 2to

Watching the games you could clearly see the playmaking and defense have leveled up and actually becoming a good rebounder for a guard.. next season development gonna be very interesting..

Return to Brooklyn Nets