RealGM
And1: 3,436

2023-24 Trade Deadline Thread 

Post#1 » by vincecarter4pres » Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:09 pm

What happens?
Who goes where?
Do we make a move?
Vaughn gets the axe?
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,257

Re: 2023-24 Trade Deadline Thread 

Post#2 » by Papi_swav » Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:47 am

We should look into Murray from the hawks. The rumored packages I'm seeing, the Nets can definitely beat those offers. But I won't give up a lot for him. We need another starting point guard because Dinwiddie is not it. Murray can ball and defend and he's on a good contract for what he brings.

We also need a point guard for next year and there isn't much in the free agency that is better than Dinwiddie and Din is a FA as well and I don't want him back here tbh. Maybe CamJ and 1 of the other teams 1st we have. That sounds better than DLo and a 2029 first or whatever Lakers are offering.
Netaman
Analyst
And1: 1,069

Post#3 » by Netaman » Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:06 am

I think they get Murray. Philly pick + another pick that comes from a trade with DFS going somewhere else (OKC maybe?).

Murray is same age as Bridges/CamJ and fits the roster. don't really trust his 38% from 3 this year, but he can break down a defense, initiate, and disrupt on defense. The SAS connection. His midrange should compliment the spot up/catch and shooters.

something like this connects a few different rumors:

bubonicphoniks
Bench Warmer
And1: 897

Post#4 » by bubonicphoniks » Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:40 am

Dejonte I'm fine with getting or not getting.

I want to see Dinwiddie gone.

What bigs are available? Not that it matters because Marks doesnt believe in bigs.
Karate Diop
General Manager
And1: 9,844

Post#5 » by Karate Diop » Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:21 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:What happens?
Who goes where?
Do we make a move?
Vaughn gets the axe?

Can't see Vaughn getting the axe mid-season... I'm hoping we make a move for future assets. Even if this team lucks into the playoffs they don't have the talent to be trouble.

Those picks owed to Houston are just a sunk cost at this point.

Reset the timeline and either make moves to build around / with Mikal or ship him out to the highest bidder at the draft of you can land premium picks.

Straddling both timelines rarely works...
Netaman
Analyst

Post#6 » by Netaman » Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:22 pm

Heat get Rozier for Lowry's expiring and "draft comp".

The big story of the deadline right now appears to me that very few teams have first round picks they can trade:

Lakers only have the 2029,
Cavs don't really have any,
Miami had 2 but may have just traded 1 for Rozier,
Dallas can deal 1 of 2026 or 2027 i think.
Min can't deal until 2030 i think, same with denver i think,
Clippers have none,
bucks have none,
Pacers just dealt a bunch to Toronto.
think philly has 2029,
Knicks have a few but they just gave up all their young guys for OG and dont seem to want to deal picks.

OKC has picks, NO has picks, BOS has some picks, SAC has some picks, and ORL has picks. Those are the teams who nets will probably need to engage on Royce/DFS, unless they like recent first like Hood-Schifino.

Also why i expect nets to eventually get Murray if they want him. 2 firsts + expiring isn't a problem, as long as the firsts are protected.
Netaman
Analyst

Post#7 » by Netaman » Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:26 pm

Miami gives up their 2027 first for Rozier, which could effectively take them out of any future mitchell sweeps and obviously takes them out on Murray.

If I'm Nets I grab Murray, hope to boost his value back in primary ball handler role, retain enough picks for the next superstar (who Murray could be a chip that goes the other way for). Who knows, maybe Murray/Bridges/Cam/Clax become a solid core that just needs a wing super star to get over the hump (with Simmons as massive expiring next year and a ton of draft picks).
Karate Diop
General Manager
And1: 9,844

Post#8 » by Karate Diop » Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:26 pm

Netaman wrote:Heat get Rozier for Lowry's expiring and "draft comp".

The big story of the deadline right now appears to me that very few teams have first round picks they can trade:

Lakers only have the 2029,
Cavs don't really have any,
Miami had 2 but may have just traded 1 for Rozier,
Dallas can deal 1 of 2026 or 2027 i think.
Min can't deal until 2030 i think, same with denver i think,
Clippers have none,
bucks have none,
Pacers just dealt a bunch to Toronto.
think philly has 2029,
Knicks have a few but they just gave up all their young guys for OG and dont seem to want to deal picks.

OKC has picks, NO has picks, BOS has some picks, SAC has some picks, and ORL has picks. Those are the teams who nets will probably need to engage on Royce/DFS, unless they like recent first like Hood-Schifino.

Also why i expect nets to eventually get Murray if they want him. 2 firsts + expiring isn't a problem, as long as the firsts are protected.

I wonder if the Nets can entice Golden State out of Kuminga or Moody with their win-now vets. Maybe wishful thinking, but I hope they try...
Netaman
Analyst

Post#9 » by Netaman » Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:43 pm

here's a 3 team with Dallas getting DFS (and dumping the Holmes contract) and nets extracting a good 2026 dallas first with minimal protections and O-max rerouted to Atlanta. O-max serves as the reported "2nd first" for both DFS/Murray.

For Atlanta pretty sure this beats the rumored LAL offer with an expiring Dinwiddie, the 2027 Philly pick, and Prosper (whose value should be comparable to JHS). Maybe a little light on draft comp to Atlanta, though Rozier sort of sets the market. Maybe Nets throw in one of the 2023 firsts or another highly protected pick?

Netaman
Analyst

Post#10 » by Netaman » Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:27 pm

Follow-up to the deal above, here's how it would impact nets payroll next year - basically they would have 9 players under contract totalling $138m so about $34m to spend before hitting the luxury tax (projected at 172m).

so if Claxton ends up getting a deal similar to Poeltl, they'd have about $14m left. Probably enough to bring back 1 of Walker or DSJ but probably not both.

though they would also have $54m worth of expiring contracts between Holmes and Simmons. could certainly see them offloading holmes in a deal similar to the harris deal at the draft by including some 2nds. though im sure the preference would be to deal DFS someplace where they can take back an expiring instead of $ in 2024-25 so that way they have more room to bring back Claxton/Walker/DSJ if they want to.
Netaman
Analyst

Post#11 » by Netaman » Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:45 pm

this is probably the type of trade nets are hoping to find:

that puts nets at $125m for 2024-25, so almost $20m to spend under luxury tax aside from minimum deals even after accounting for Claxton back. plenty of room to add to a group that would start with:

Murray - Simmons (exp)
CamT - Whitehead
Bridges - Wilson
CamJ - Clowney
(clax) - Sharpe

$20m should get them some veterans like Walker, DSJ, and ideally another big.

and they have simmons $41m expiring + all the premium picks.

and if it all comes crashing down, then next year's deadline is probably the year to firesale. hopefully at least a few of those assets are pumped up. they could get pick swapped but they own phoenix 2025 pick so they'd at least be entering their next rebuild with 2+ FRPs and a cleaner cap without simmons. phoenix pick this year is #21 right now, so not hard to envision that being a top 20 pick next year with everyone a year older.
bubonicphoniks
Bench Warmer

Post#12 » by bubonicphoniks » Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:17 pm

Netaman wrote:this is probably the type of trade nets are hoping to find:

that puts nets at $125m for 2024-25, so almost $20m to spend under luxury tax aside from minimum deals even after accounting for Claxton back. plenty of room to add to a group that would start with:

Murray - Simmons (exp)
CamT - Whitehead
Bridges - Wilson
CamJ - Clowney
(clax) - Sharpe

and if it all comes crashing down, then next year's deadline is probably the year to firesale. hopefully at least a few of those assets are pumped up. they could get pick swapped but they own phoenix 2025 pick so they'd at least be entering their next rebuild with 2+ FRPs and a cleaner cap without simmons. phoenix pick this year is #21 right now, so not hard to envision that being a top 20 pick next year with everyone a year older.
I don't like that lineup no depth all for Murray who doesn't really add that much.

I wanna see Dinwiddie gone. Ive been steadfast on that, but this seems like giving up too much for too little in return. Murray has been a nice player in his last two stops but despite both franchises wishes he hasnt shown to be a franchise player.
bubonicphoniks
Bench Warmer

Post#13 » by bubonicphoniks » Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:43 pm

Everyone will say no but what would it take to get Derozan from the Bulls. I dont think it moves us too much but it would be fun.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#14 » by vincecarter4pres » Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:43 pm

bubonicphoniks wrote:

Murray - Simmons (exp)
CamT - Whitehead
Bridges - Wilson
CamJ - Clowney
(clax) - Sharpe

I don't like that lineup no depth all for Murray who doesn't really add that much.

I wanna see Dinwiddie gone. Ive been steadfast on that, but this seems like giving up too much for too little in return. Murray has been a nice player in his last two stops but despite both franchises wishes he hasnt shown to be a franchise player.

If that’s giving too much, what’s giving too little lol?

2 decent but more senior journeyman type players, and ultimately 2 rag tag-ish 1st’s(one of which was acquired for one of the outgoing players) for a young athletic starting quality guard on a favorable contract.

If this was the deal it’s a no brainer. The only way you can possibly get hurt on this one, if if Murray turned out to be a disruptive dikhed.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#15 » by vincecarter4pres » Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:44 pm

bubonicphoniks wrote:Everyone will say no but what would it take to get Derozan from the Bulls. I dont think it moves us too much but it would be fun.

It wouldn’t be fun at all, his style is ugly and unentertaining and he doesn’t move the needle much. Yuck.
bubonicphoniks
Bench Warmer

Post#16 » by bubonicphoniks » Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:47 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:
bubonicphoniks wrote:

Murray - Simmons (exp)
CamT - Whitehead
Bridges - Wilson
CamJ - Clowney
(clax) - Sharpe

2 decent but more senior journeyman type players, and ultimately 2 rag tag-ish 1st’s(one of which was acquired for one of the outgoing players) for a young athletic starting quality guard on a favorable contract.

If this was the deal it’s a no brainer. The only way you can possibly get hurt on this one, if if Murray turned out to be a disruptive dikhed.
I just feel like Murray is another one of what we have 57 thousand of.
bubonicphoniks
Bench Warmer

Post#17 » by bubonicphoniks » Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:49 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:
bubonicphoniks wrote:Everyone will say no but what would it take to get Derozan from the Bulls. I dont think it moves us too much but it would be fun.

It wouldn’t be fun at all, his style is ugly and unentertaining and he doesn’t move the needle much. Yuck.
See I love that style of play. Footwork. Finding the soft spots and rising up. He can attack the rim better than anyone we have with no trepedation. He can shoot midrange which no one else can do. He has some size and he is a gamer.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#18 » by vincecarter4pres » Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:11 pm

bubonicphoniks wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:
bubonicphoniks wrote:I don't like that lineup no depth all for Murray who doesn't really add that much.

Murray isn’t even all that great, but he can score 20+ a game in the flow, rebound for a guard, run an offense part time, and before this year was a good defender. He’s basically rich man’s Dinwiddie. You’re giving up spare parts and mediocre assets to get him, in this case.

Unless he starts griping for full control all the time and ball hogs, don’t see how his addition would hurt, again, if as in this case the only outgoing assets are the Philly pick and 2 JAG players.

We don’t have anyone who can run an offense the way he can and won’t make waves and completely check out like Dinwiddie is currently.

He’s young and signed to a super fair deal even if he winds up your 6xth man down the line.

Don’t believe the Nets should clamor for him and waste real assets or even opportunity cost, but again, a Murray trade in this form would be a good move.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#19 » by vincecarter4pres » Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:13 pm

bubonicphoniks wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:

See I love that style of play. Footwork. Finding the soft spots and rising up. He can attack the rim better than anyone we have with no trepedation. He can shoot midrange which no one else can do. He has some size and he is a gamer.

Idk man, he’s kind of a ball stopper and slows down your offense, and he’s getting long in the tooth.
bubonicphoniks
Bench Warmer

Post#20 » by bubonicphoniks » Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:25 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:
bubonicphoniks wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:If that’s giving too much, what’s giving too little lol?

Murray isn’t even all that great, but he can score 20+ a game in the flow, rebound for a guard, run an offense part time, and before this year was a good defender. He’s basically rich man’s Dinwiddie. You’re giving up spare parts and mediocre assets to get him, in this case.

Unless he starts griping for full control all the time and ball hogs, don’t see how his addition would hurt, again, if as in this case the only outgoing assets are the Philly pick and 2 JAG players.

We don’t have anyone who can run an offense the way he can and won’t make waves and completely check out like Dinwiddie is currently.

He’s young and signed to a super fair deal even if he winds up your 6xth man down the line.

Don’t believe the Nets should clamor for him and waste real assets or even opportunity cost, but again, a Murray trade in this form would be a good move.
Good convo on both topics. I agree with your assesment of Murray and watched him last night try to will his team to a win. (But actually make his shots) which was nice to see. Hes erratic and not always in a good way. I think without another big or dare I say it Simmons coming back though we may be better off drafting given our scouting department.

Return to Brooklyn Nets