Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,156

Re: 2023-24 Trade Deadline Thread 

Post#321 » by Dadouv47 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 3:29 pm

Netaman wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:
Decipher wrote:
I am like you in that I would take the alleged Houston offer for Mikal but would also try to do the same with Cam J to OKC for Giddey and picks, etc

Entering next season with healthy Simmons, rejuvenated Giddey, Cam T, Green, Clax, Sharpe, our kids, at least 2 lottery pick players, boatload of future picks etc would be fun

Taping up a broken leg isn’t fun

Thunder fan here looking to trade for some Nets players (DFS if it's not 2 FRPs, Claxton depending on how much he wants on his extension but won't happen)

I don't think Giddey is available for that cheap right now. (maybe if Can Johnson is involved). I would definitely trade him but I think Presti isn't going to change our startling line up this season with our beyond expected success and will wait the offseason to trade him. I do think that Giddey is still a good prospect and would be a great fit in Brooklyn. He needs good wings to surround him and less ball handler and you guys are the perfect team for him (maybe Utah too?).
We just can't afford to make him our primary ball handler with SGA and JDub while you guys really lack a true PG. Main issue is that he can be extended this offseason but most people forget that the kid is only 21 years old (same age as most sophomores) so it wouldn't surprise me if ends up being a borderline all star kind of player but unfortunately it won't be in OKC.

so it looks like bertans is guaranteed 5.25m next year of his 16m and it goes fully guaranteed next january. that seems like a movable contract so not terrible filler for dfs, but also not great.

okc currently has 2 top 15 picks projected, id take 1 of them for dfs and maybe some 2nds (hoping to move bertans' salary over summer). another possibility maybe the best of whatever 2025 frp's ends up?

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2023/11/thunder-davis-bertans-agree-to-contract-revision.html

nah, it's only 5.25 millions guaranteed. It was supposed to be 16m if Bertans played 60+ games this season but Presti offered an extra 250K to waive that (he wasn't gonna play so many games anyway). So Bertans is basically an expiring with an extra 5 millions next year, it can't increase anymore.

I think we only have one top 15 protected FRP (Miami 2025 pick). I would trade that for DFS if we put some protection in that pick for 2026 since it becomes unprotected. Not likely to end up being a high pick but the upside is just high for us to trade that pick without protection for DFS. but yeah in a vacuum a top 15 protected FRP + 2-3 SRPs is fine for DFS.
Netaman
Analyst
And1: 1,069

Post#322 » by Netaman » Thu Feb 8, 2024 3:34 pm

why does masai keep trading frps for rental centers? :lol:

Read on Twitter
Netaman
Analyst

Post#323 » by Netaman » Thu Feb 8, 2024 3:45 pm

not really a fan of this i dont think, little has 3 years @ 7m left, nets could use that same amount to sign walker or dsj i think. maybe even royce himself. i dont see much upside with little. it's year 5, still no established role (on a team desperate for wing depth btw).

Read on Twitter
?s=20
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#324 » by vincecarter4pres » Thu Feb 8, 2024 3:50 pm

Netaman wrote:not really a fan of this i dont think, little has 3 years @ 7m left, nets could use that same amount to sign walker or dsj i think. maybe even royce himself. i dont see much upside with little. it's year 5, still no established role (on a team desperate for wing depth btw).

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Hoping Royce isn’t traded at all unless they have no plans on re-signing him, and yeah, like zero interest taking on long term salary for a fringe NBA player.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Netaman
Analyst

Post#325 » by Netaman » Thu Feb 8, 2024 3:54 pm

tinfoil hat time - most of the "rumors" right now are leaks designed to shake out better offers. royce oneal/phoenix rumor and pelicans/hawks rumors included.

looking at pels, to match murray they'd need to trade valencunas or some combo of him, daniels, nance. they have a bunch of FRPs but are they opening up holes in their front court to add murray when they have CJM? JV is basically their only big expiring so unless they are putting a bunch of picks on the table, their offer may be DOA like the lakers without a 3rd team (though there may be a 3rd team for Nance?).

payroll is also at 150m already for next year, so murray ostensibly pushes them into tax next year even if NO is somehow offloading non-expiring money (nance + daniels).
Netaman
Analyst

Post#326 » by Netaman » Thu Feb 8, 2024 3:56 pm

okc probably out on DFS now. the way things are going, i think nets end up swiping murray for dinwiddie and 1 FRP with DFS to some contender for a meh FRP. everyone keeps talking about how they can keep murray until the summer like collins but they ended up trading collins for rudy gay and 2nd round pick.

Read on Twitter
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#327 » by vincecarter4pres » Thu Feb 8, 2024 3:59 pm

Netaman wrote:okc probably out on DFS now. the way things are going, i think nets end up swiping murray for dinwiddie and 1 FRP with DFS to some contender for a meh FRP.

Read on Twitter

Would be pleasantly surprised by that final outcome.

Methinks Marks screwed the pooch holding on DFS last year, unless those 2 picks were the type to not even become 1sts.

My guess is not a single move is made, Dinwiddie is sent home and we get some long winded press conference quote about looking forward at the bigger picture.

Yuck.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Netaman
Analyst

Post#328 » by Netaman » Thu Feb 8, 2024 4:04 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:Would be pleasantly surprised by that final outcome.

Methinks Marks screwed the pooch holding on DFS last year, unless those 2 picks were the type to not even become 1sts.

My guess is not a single move is made, Dinwiddie is sent home and we get some long winded press conference quote about looking forward at the bigger picture.

Yuck.

yuck is right if that's the outcome. i agree they must wish they had a mulligan on the 2 firsts last year, but DFS was good this year. he was a big part of the hot start and who knows what would have happened if the whole 2nd unit didnt get injured at the same time.

also that was previous CBA and new CBA has seemingly changed the value of FRPs, so that's one thing to remember. if Olynyk brought back a first i feel like nets will get one for DFS but i guess we'll see.

re murray, i just dont get why the hawks would hold him vs cutting bait now if they know they need to cut bait. they held him out yesterday for a reason. so i think he gets dealt, and while i wouldnt bet he ends up a net i think they have as good of a chance as anyone. they've been connected with sort of a standing offer of an expiring and FRP.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#329 » by vincecarter4pres » Thu Feb 8, 2024 4:08 pm

Netaman wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:Would be pleasantly surprised by that final outcome.

Yuck.

yuck is right if that's the outcome. i agree they must wish they had a mulligan on the 2 firsts last year, but DFS was good this year. he was a big part of the hot start and who knows what would have happened if the whole 2nd unit didnt get injured at the same time.

also that was previous CBA and new CBA has seemingly changed the value of FRPs, so that's one thing to remember. if Olynyk brought back a first i feel like nets will get one for DFS but i guess we'll see.

re murray, i just dont get why the hawks would hold him vs cutting bait now if they know they need to cut bait. they held him out yesterday for a reason. so i think he gets dealt, and while i wouldnt bet he ends up a net i think they have as good of a chance as anyone. they've been connected with sort of a standing offer of an expiring and FRP.

We shall see, we shall see. I’m not holding my breath though. Hate the excuses for not trading DFS last year though, have always felt he was incredibly overrated, as in his entire career from the point he began lauded. If you had a team on the hook last year who shared that belief, should have brought that fish on board.

Hopefully Marks makes me eat crow in the next 4 hours.
Netaman
Analyst

Post#330 » by Netaman » Thu Feb 8, 2024 4:18 pm

this was the latest from scotto posted this AM:
https://hoopshype.com/lists/nba-trade-deadline-rumors-the-latest-intel-on-all-30-teams/

Brooklyn Nets
The Brooklyn Nets have three players who are considered prime trade candidates hours ahead of the deadline: Dorian Finney-Smith, Royce O’Neale, and Spencer Dinwiddie.

Rival executives continue to believe a first-round pick and a rotation player is suitable for Finney-Smith – who’s owed $14.9 million next season with a $15.37 million player option for the 2025-26 season – and multiple second-round picks can be had for O’Neale, who’s entering unrestricted free agency this summer.

O’Neale has drawn trade interest from the Rockets and Cavaliers recently, league sources told HoopsHype. The Suns have also remained in the mix to land O’Neale. Nassir Little and multiple second-round picks have been dangled in trade talks for O’Neale, league sources told HoopsHype. Other teams who’ve circled the wagon on O’Neale include the Lakers, Mavericks, Nuggets, Pacers, Kings, and Bucks.

For the Nets to part with Finney-Smith, it would take a future first-round pick starting in 2025 or beyond that has a chance to be a potential Top 20 pick along with a rotation player, league sources told HoopsHype. The Nets are not interested in a late first-round pick nor a pick in the 2024 NBA Draft in any trade talks for Finney-Smith.

Finney-Smith has drawn significant interest on the trade market, including several playoff-caliber teams such as the Lakers, Cavaliers, Mavericks, Bucks, Thunder, Suns and Kings.

Dinwiddie has drawn interest from the Hawks and Lakers in trade talks.

Perhaps Dejounte Murray for a package involving Dinwiddie and a protected first-round pick could entice the Nets to trade for the former All-Star guard, who’s owed up to $120.1 million over the next four years. However, it’s worth noting the Hawks have entered the week seeking two first-round picks in exchange for Murray, and he also has a 15 percent trade kicker in his contract.

In addition, despite some reported speculation, the Nets haven’t had substantive conversations with the Lakers and Hawks about joining as a third team to take on Russell’s contract, HoopsHype has learned.

Dinwiddie, a Los Angeles, California native who’ll be an unrestricted free agent this summer, grew up a huge Kobe Bryant and Lakers fan.

As HoopsHype reported, Dinwiddie is unlikely to be a long-term piece beyond this season, league sources said. Should he remain with the Nets past the deadline, he’s not taking a buyout, as he publicly tweeted.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#331 » by vincecarter4pres » Thu Feb 8, 2024 4:24 pm

Netaman wrote:this was the latest from scotto posted this AM:
https://hoopshype.com/lists/nba-trade-deadline-rumors-the-latest-intel-on-all-30-teams/

Brooklyn Nets
The Brooklyn Nets have three players who are considered prime trade candidates hours ahead of the deadline: Dorian Finney-Smith, Royce O’Neale, and Spencer Dinwiddie.

Rival executives continue to believe a first-round pick and a rotation player is suitable for Finney-Smith – who’s owed $14.9 million next season with a $15.37 million player option for the 2025-26 season – and multiple second-round picks can be had for O’Neale, who’s entering unrestricted free agency this summer.

O’Neale has drawn trade interest from the Rockets and Cavaliers recently, league sources told HoopsHype. The Suns have also remained in the mix to land O’Neale. Nassir Little and multiple second-round picks have been dangled in trade talks for O’Neale, league sources told HoopsHype. Other teams who’ve circled the wagon on O’Neale include the Lakers, Mavericks, Nuggets, Pacers, Kings, and Bucks.

For the Nets to part with Finney-Smith, it would take a future first-round pick starting in 2025 or beyond that has a chance to be a potential Top 20 pick along with a rotation player, league sources told HoopsHype. The Nets are not interested in a late first-round pick nor a pick in the 2024 NBA Draft in any trade talks for Finney-Smith.

Finney-Smith has drawn significant interest on the trade market, including several playoff-caliber teams such as the Lakers, Cavaliers, Mavericks, Bucks, Thunder, Suns and Kings.

Perhaps Dejounte Murray for a package involving Dinwiddie and a protected first-round pick could entice the Nets to trade for the former All-Star guard, who’s owed up to $120.1 million over the next four years. However, it’s worth noting the Hawks have entered the week seeking two first-round picks in exchange for Murray, and he also has a 15 percent trade kicker in his contract.

In addition, despite some reported speculation, the Nets haven’t had substantive conversations with the Lakers and Hawks about joining as a third team to take on Russell’s contract, HoopsHype has learned.

Dinwiddie, a Los Angeles, California native who’ll be an unrestricted free agent this summer, grew up a huge Kobe Bryant and Lakers fan.

As HoopsHype reported, Dinwiddie is unlikely to be a long-term piece beyond this season, league sources said. Should he remain with the Nets past the deadline, he’s not taking a buyout, as he publicly tweeted.

Meaning Marks is going to likely overplay his hand and nothing gets done. :lol:

Guarantee OKC was at worst offering Bertrans and the 2nd best ‘24 1st for DFS and filler and he turned it down, just so silly to me. Presti called his bluff and now Marks has that sinking feeling.
Tha King
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Post#332 » by Tha King » Thu Feb 8, 2024 5:02 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:
Netaman wrote:this was the latest from scotto posted this AM:

Brooklyn Nets

Meaning Marks is going to likely overplay his hand and nothing gets done. :lol:

Guarantee OKC was at worst offering Bertrans and the 2nd best ‘24 1st for DFS and filler and he turned it down, just so silly to me. Presti called his bluff and now Marks has that sinking feeling.

I can see the Clippers making a solid offer for DFS. They have a first to trade and depth not in their rotation.
3pt_chucker
Head Coach
And1: 2,002

Post#333 » by 3pt_chucker » Thu Feb 8, 2024 5:17 pm

Nothing has happened yet? I'm shocked. Still time to be wrong but doubt it.

People will still bend over backwards to defend Marks.

Been saying this since last season but this franchise needs a fresh start
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#334 » by vincecarter4pres » Thu Feb 8, 2024 5:58 pm

Dinwiddie gone, Dennis the Menace and Thad is back lol.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,837

Post#335 » by Rich Rane » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:15 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:Dinwiddie gone, Dennis the Menace and Thad is back lol.

Do we have 16 players right now?

EDIT: Never mind!
Claud
Sixth Man
And1: 872

Post#336 » by Claud » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:23 pm

DFS next?
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,837

Post#337 » by Rich Rane » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:30 pm

Still no backup center. Would've been nice especially with Sharpe out. Wouldn't have minded Metu, but I think he's going to Memphis.
bubonicphoniks
Bench Warmer
And1: 897

Post#338 » by bubonicphoniks » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:36 pm

Rich Rane wrote:Still no Center. Would've been nice especially with Sharpe out. Wouldn't have minded Metu, but I think he's going to Memphis.
Marks prefers to drive in cafs with 3 wheels. The fact he didnt sign a big with a pulse during the "big 3" era should show you that.

If he wouldnt sign one then why would he know.

He clearly doesnt believe in the position. I dont think it works based on watching but clearly he hates centers.

Its bizarre and one of my biggest concerns with him.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#339 » by vincecarter4pres » Thu Feb 8, 2024 8:45 pm

Yuck :sour:
Netaman
Analyst

Post#340 » by Netaman » Thu Feb 8, 2024 9:14 pm

Hawks are hilarious. Murray is totally going to end up Collins part 2.

In the end this deadline was basically the Dinwiddie deadline. Here's my theory on what happened with him:

For a while (prior FA years) he has talked about himself as deserving of the kind of $ that FVV (prior deal) and Brunson had received the past couple years. He played with Brunson in Dallas and for their short time together put up comparable stats. Actually had the better TS% of the 2 (62% to 58%). Last year when he got traded back to Brooklyn, it's really not too crazy to hope that maybe he'd improved as a player to the point of deserving the bigger role he was thrust into. If he could have maintained any of that Dallas efficiency with Luka, he'd be in a nice situation.

Instead what happened was he shot the ball terribly. Some around here argued it was just a small sample size slump and in a full year he'd be back to his dallas numbers. Over the summer there were some talks about whether or not the Nets/Dinwiddie would consider an extension, and in the first 20 games id imagine that was a possibility still on the table.

Then everything went very sideways so I suspect at some point in the last couple months it became clear there would be no extension, and Dinwiddie consciously or unconsciously went in the tank because he's probably cost himself a lot of $ and who cares about the nets if they are dumping him a 2nd time?

Schroder is whatever. But probably still an upgrade on Dinwiddie, and will presumably be fine if he has to come off the bench. I'm a little surprised they took on extra 2025 salary without offloading DFS, but both should be pretty easy to move so i guess no hard no foul.

3 seconds for Royce is fine since Marks has been able to use seconds consistently to dump bad $ at the draft.

Rest of this season is presumably going to the Ben and CamT show in the backcourt as long as they are healthy. Schroder, DSJ, Walker, DFS, Sharpe presumably the 2nd unit. Hopefully Clowney and/or Wilson can get some looks and one of them steps up.

Glad they didn't do nothing but disappointing they couldn't get a first for DFS. Or a PG better than Schroder. But I guess nothing to lose giving Ben the chance to try to start for 20-30 games in a row and see what happens.

If my math is right they are now at 9 contracts for next season and about 128m. luxury tax is 171m so if they give clax $20m, they are at 10 with another $20m or so to spend. I think extending Walker on something like a 3 year 9m deal would be good. Probably fill in with a few minimum guys around that.

If there's a trade to make for an upgrade over the summer it's probably something like DFS + Schroder + a pick for Murray (or a different player).

Or if there's a trae/mitchell available, a lot of picks and simmons expiring.

Return to Brooklyn Nets