ImageImageImageImageImage

2023-24 Trade Deadline Thread

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Re: 2023-24 Trade Deadline Thread 

Post#341 » by vincecarter4pres » Thu Feb 8, 2024 9:59 pm

I think Lonnie will garner serious interest at the MLE, at least the taxpayers.

They held DFS and traded for Schroeder to extend contract filler for salary matches just in case next season, which I get, but it still stings.

If they don’t nab someone like Mitchell, this will truly be all for not, and I’m still convinced this is a total ego thing for Tsai.

The route to try this time was staring you in the face and yet they just couldn’t get themselves to pull the trigger.

Like what is the absolute best case?

We make a savvy cost effective move this summer and windup at a 6-10 seed pace, make a blockbuster at the deadline for an Ingram or Markkanen, keep the books mainly clear for ‘25 and add Mitchell? Idk if that’s even possible cap wise while keeping Bridges and Clax, along with the blockbuster trade guy. And this is all ideal scenario stuff, but still leaves us needing to fill out the roster with minimums and 2nd rounders, left and right.

It’s hard being a Nets fan, really is.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Netaman
Analyst
And1: 1,069

Post#342 » by Netaman » Thu Feb 8, 2024 10:25 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:I think Lonnie will garner serious interest at the MLE, at least the taxpayers.

They held DFS and traded for Schroeder to extend contract filler for salary matches just in case next season, which I get, but it still stings.

If they don’t nab someone like Mitchell, this will truly be all for not, and I’m still convinced this is a total ego thing for Tsai.

The route to try this time was staring you in the face and yet they just couldn’t get themselves to pull the trigger.

We make a savvy cost effective move this summer and windup at a 6-10 seed pace, make a blockbuster at the deadline for an Ingram or Markkanen, keep the books mainly clear for ‘25 and add Mitchell? Idk if that’s even possible cap wise while keeping Bridges and Clax, along with the blockbuster trade guy. And this is all ideal scenario stuff, but still leaves us needing to fill out the roster with minimums and 2nd rounders, left and right.

hard being a fan of any team without a star. you either have one or you dont. if you don't everything else is just asset management and bad basketball.

i think the plan is get to the summer and see what happens with mitchell (and garland?) and maybe to a lesser degree trae/doncic. how those teams play in the playoffs should impact those decisions so those are unknowns right now.

murray and maybe some other players in that tier (herro? smart?) should still be options then too even if that would be more of an incremental improvement, and now schroder/dfs are expiring deals that allow them to pursue players on that lower level below simmons if they choose.

cam thomas probably has his final audition starting rest of this year, hopefully with simmons there most of the time next to him to help optimize him. i doubt he gets extended this summer by anyone but if he hasnt locked down a starting spot beyond question by then they may as well trade him for whatever they can get (whether it's picks or with an expiring to get a veteran upgrade).

if all options are bleak, they can always decide to trade bridges then, they will still get a ton for him. in the offseason there are usually more trade partners on big deals than in-season. ex. memphis was supposedly the team that loved him last year but right now they are out of it, which will also bring them a likely top 6 pick.
Decipher
Rookie
And1: 915

Post#343 » by Decipher » Thu Feb 8, 2024 10:41 pm

Thad has been waived
Decipher
Rookie

Post#344 » by Decipher » Thu Feb 8, 2024 10:48 pm

Netaman wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:I think Lonnie will garner serious interest at the MLE, at least the taxpayers.

hard being a fan of any team without a star. you either have one or you dont. if you don't everything else is just asset management and bad basketball.

i think the plan is get to the summer and see what happens with mitchell (and garland?) and maybe to a lesser degree trae/doncic. how those teams play in the playoffs should impact those decisions so those are unknowns right now.

murray and maybe some other players in that tier (herro? smart?) should still be options then too even if that would be more of an incremental improvement, and now schroder/dfs are expiring deals that allow them to pursue players on that lower level below simmons if they choose.

cam thomas probably has his final audition starting rest of this year, hopefully with simmons there most of the time next to him to help optimize him. i doubt he gets extended this summer by anyone but if he hasnt locked down a starting spot beyond question by then they may as well trade him for whatever they can get (whether it's picks or with an expiring to get a veteran upgrade).

if all options are bleak, they can always decide to trade bridges then, they will still get a ton for him. in the offseason there are usually more trade partners on big deals than in-season. ex. memphis was supposedly the team that loved him last year but right now they are out of it, which will also bring them a likely top 6 pick.

Good news

No long term damage

Got something for 2 expiring contracts

Direction is clear

Bad News

Several other teams have chosen same direction (e.g. Lakers, Sixers, etc) so no guarantee that it will work

No draft pick (s’pose we can always buy one)

Team probably isn’t any better & won’t be until/unless Simmons can play regularly

Post season highly unlikely

In summary, might be a hard team to watch for a while yet
Sharcm1
Veteran
And1: 688

Post#345 » by Sharcm1 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 10:52 pm

I’m honestly not even sure what to say right now. I’m glad Spencer is gone. Schroder is a good player but he can’t shoot. So we have three point guards that can’t shoot lol. Not that Spencer was shooting well. But still.

O’Neal couldn’t fetch more than what we got. 3 seconds from a good team and throw ins on rookie deals that don’t play. Hmm. We don’t even play our own young players.

Not sure what direction that we are heading in
Stone
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,467

Post#346 » by Stone » Fri Feb 9, 2024 12:39 am

Yossi Gozlan: The Brooklyn Nets will save around $5 million through their two trades. They can structure the moves to have these trade exceptions left: $20.4 million (Dinwiddie) $19.9 million (Harris) $6.8 million (Mills) $5.7 million (Durant, expires tomorrow) $1.5 million (O’Neale) 4 hours ago – via Twitter YossiGozlan

I had a feeling we were going to hold onto to DFS. He will eventually get moved moved. But Marks is keeping him in his back pocket for now.

In the meantime......

The man who sleeps on the floor can never fall out of bed........Martin Lawrence
Netaman
Analyst

Post#347 » by Netaman » Fri Feb 9, 2024 12:44 am

Stone wrote:
Yossi Gozlan: The Brooklyn Nets will save around $5 million through their two trades. They can structure the moves to have these trade exceptions left: $20.4 million (Dinwiddie) $19.9 million (Harris) $6.8 million (Mills) $5.7 million (Durant, expires tomorrow) $1.5 million (O’Neale) 4 hours ago – via Twitter YossiGozlan

I had a feeling we were going to hold onto to DFS. He will eventually get moved moved. But Marks is keeping him in his back pocket for now.

In the meantime......

not positive on the rules here, but i wonder if they can use some of their savings to try to incentivize a walker extension now?

the trade exceptions could be helpful but i think the bottomline is they punted any big decisions to the draft and got themselves slightly more ammo. more 2nds (which marks has been good at using to move contracts, be it to 3rd teams or just as salary dump) and another expiring contract while keeping DFS' positive value contract.

and got rid of dinwhiny.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#348 » by vincecarter4pres » Fri Feb 9, 2024 1:13 am

Decipher wrote:Thad has been waived

Well at least he gets to join a contender this year.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Decipher
Rookie

Post#349 » by Decipher » Fri Feb 9, 2024 1:29 am

Read on Twitter
Netaman
Analyst

Post#350 » by Netaman » Fri Feb 9, 2024 3:48 am

Full post-deadline interview with Marks -

bottomline there was no star out there that made sense with Atlanta deciding to hold Murray. so the nets shuffled some deck chairs and now we wait until summer. eventually a star will shake loose just dont know who or when.
Netaman
Analyst

Post#351 » by Netaman » Fri Feb 9, 2024 4:08 am

snapshot of next year's cap, tl:dr assuming bates diop picks up his option and wilson gets signed, they have $39m to spend with 11 spots accounted for.

Clax almost certainly gets half of that.
I'd guess Walker gets 8-10m on a multi-year.

Schroder ($13m) + DFS (15m) are the primary trade bait, and obviously they have the giant Simmons expiring if there's a real big deal to make. Trae is sort of the only guy I could see making sense for Ben if Atlanta decides they really want to save money. Feel like if Cleveland decided to trade Mitchell they'd probably prefer a trade package with DFS + Schroder as the salary filler with whatever other assets they get. Or CamJ.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,259

Post#352 » by Papi_swav » Fri Feb 9, 2024 5:46 am

yea I figure it wasn't going to be a lot going on , good thing I didn't get my hopes up. Atleast Shroder is better than Din at this point
drchaos
Rookie
And1: 409

Post#353 » by drchaos » Fri Feb 9, 2024 10:30 am

Now that the trade deadline has passed this might be as good a time as any to look towards the future.

The best case scenario to add a great player to our team and to keep all of our draft picks is to to get under the cap and sign Donovan Mitchell to a Max free agent contract in 2025.

Even though I am not sure that DFS or Sharpe make sense if we resign Nic Claxton I mocked up our salaries if we keep all three of these players, sign Donovan Mitchell to a max contract, and let Simmons, Schroeder, etc leave as free agents at the end of their contracts (Under the column for age I have each player's age as of 10/15/2025):

2025-2026 Roster if Nets Stay the Course and get Mitchell

Count Player Age Pos $155,100,000 Salary Cap

1 Donovan Mitchell 29 SG $(38,775,000) Max FA Contract
2 Mikal Bridges 29 SF $(24,900,000) Bird Salary
3 Cameron Johnson 29 SF $(21,570,652) Bird Salary
4 Nicolas Claxton 26 C $(19,893,818) Estimated Extension
5 Dorian Finney-Smith 32 PF $(15,378,480) Bird Salary
6 Cameron Thomas 24 SG $(12,123,747) Cap Hold
9 Day'Ron Sharpe 23 C $(11,967,366) Cap Hold
7 Noah Clowney 21 PF $(3,398,640) Bird Salary
8 Dariq Whitehead 21 SG $(3,262,500) Bird Salary
10 $(1,276,599) Incomplete Cap Charge
11 $(1,276,599) Incomplete Cap Charge
12 $(1,276,599) Incomplete Cap Charge

This would leave us with exactly zero cap space so we would need to cut someone loose if we kept either of our first round picks as the rookie scale would give them a larger salary than the amount of the incomplete cap charge.

The list below includes the other current players that I have not included on the above roster:

Count Player Age Pos $155,100,000 Salary Cap

1 Ben Simmons 29 PG $(52,439,587)
2 Dennis Schröder 32 PG $(16,932,825) 2024-2025 Early Bird
3 Keita Bates-Diop 32 SF $(2,345,912) 2024-2025 Early Bird
4 Dennis Smith Jr. 27 PG 2024-2025 Non-Bird
5 Lonnie Walker IV 26 SG 2024-2025 Non-Bird
6 Trendon Watford 24 PF 2024-2025 Restricted Non-Bird
7 Jalen Wilson 24 PF 2024-2025 Two Way

2025-2026 Draft Picks

2025 Brooklyn 1st Rounder
2025 Phoenix 1st Rounder
2025 Miami Second Rounder (31-37 Protected)

Looking at all of this information I really do not see how a 32 year old DFS fits out plans.

We have time to sort things out but at some point one of Claxton, Sharpe, or Clowney might also have to go as it is not likely we will have enough minutes for all three players if each one of them plays well and each will also become too expensive at some point if they do not play well.

I could see Marks using the contracts of our expendable players (possibly DFS as well) to obtain other players or draft picks so we can get someone that does fit our future.

The top priority in the off-season will be to resign Nic Claxton. i am not sure what salary is too high but a core of Mitchell, Bridges, Claxton, and Thomas looks pretty good to me.

Cam Johnson is the next best player but if we can upgrade him to a better player (I wouldn't say no to Lauri Markkanen) he might be expendable.

Thoughts?
NetsWorld
Starter
And1: 1,030

Post#354 » by NetsWorld » Fri Feb 9, 2024 1:33 pm

Looks like the Nets will bank on a star(s) becoming available in the off season. Only positive out of this is that Nets will have assets to attract a star but they will have to probably add two very good players in the off season to make it work. As far as the whole Mitchell situation, the league doesn't work like that anymore where FA is the target; players will ask out of multi year contracts they signed,so they Nets will be positioned to land a star. Only problem is how long do you deal with the mediocrity? Simmons contract in the off season will extremely valuable, but will Marks capitalize?
drchaos
Rookie
And1: 409

Post#355 » by drchaos » Fri Feb 9, 2024 1:41 pm

NetsWorld wrote:Looks like the Nets will bank on a star(s) becoming available in the off season. Only positive out of this is that Nets will have assets to attract a star but they will have to probably add two very good players in the off season to make it work. As far as the whole Mitchell situation, the league doesn't work like that anymore where FA is the target; players will ask out of multi year contracts they signed,so they Nets will be positioned to land a star. Only problem is how long do you deal with the mediocrity? Simmons contract in the off season will extremely valuable, but will Marks capitalize?

In the end we might have to wait for the next offseason to load up for 2025.

With that said, Marks should be working the phones like a demon on draft day.
Eatgreenz
Senior
And1: 314

Post#356 » by Eatgreenz » Fri Feb 9, 2024 2:10 pm

Could have one star pg getting ready to move this offseason
Read on Twitter
?s=20
Netaman
Analyst

Post#357 » by Netaman » Fri Feb 9, 2024 2:41 pm

drchaos wrote:
Looking at all of this information I really do not see how a 32 year old DFS fits out plans.

We have time to sort things out but at some point one of Claxton, Sharpe, or Clowney might also have to go as it is not likely we will have enough minutes for all three players if each one of them plays well and each will also become too expensive at some point if they do not play well.

I could see Marks using the contracts of our expendable players (possibly DFS as well) to obtain other players or draft picks so we can get someone that does fit our future.

The top priority in the off-season will be to resign Nic Claxton. i am not sure what salary is too high but a core of Mitchell, Bridges, Claxton, and Thomas looks pretty good to me.

Cam Johnson is the next best player but if we can upgrade him to a better player (I wouldn't say no to Lauri Markkanen) he might be expendable.

Thoughts?

that's a good recap - remember DFS 2025-2026 is a player option for just a little more than the MLE. So going into next year he could have a year left or could be viewed as an expiring. Either way I think Marks knows he has positive trade value, and he will likely continue to remain on the trade block until they have something they view as worth the price tag.

DMurray for more than 1 FRP didn't qualify for them and nobody else that got traded this season would have fit either (siakam not it, rozier/og not it either).

i think they expect that mitchell never gets to outright free agency and cleveland at some point forces him to commit or not.

and if that point is this summer and cam johnson is a desired asset by cleveland, then keeping DFS all of a sudden makes a little more sense.
Netaman
Analyst

Post#358 » by Netaman » Fri Feb 9, 2024 2:49 pm

Eatgreenz wrote:Could have one star pg getting ready to move this offseason
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Honestly considering Snyder's best utah teams were defensive minded and they cant seem to get much for murray, keeping him and trading trae for a haul that would likely be bigger than what they gave up for murray may be the better path for them to sustainability.

Atlanta is a team so stuck on the treadmill despite having 1 star and pushing chips in for a 2nd, it's very hard to predict their actions. They are an injured patient in need of a transplant but i dont think they know which organ most needs to be changed.

they are 28/30 in defense this year and allowed multiple guys to go off, im sure that's the thing snyder wants to fix and knows it isn't happening with draft picks or whatever salary filler they get from DJM. Or maybe in the summer a deal like DFS/filler + FRP has appeal to them for DJM moreso than a bigger deal for Trae? That feels like a bandaid more than a transplant though.
NetsWorld
Starter
And1: 1,030

Post#359 » by NetsWorld » Fri Feb 9, 2024 4:30 pm

Netaman wrote:
Eatgreenz wrote:Could have one star pg getting ready to move this offseason
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Honestly considering Snyder's best utah teams were defensive minded and they cant seem to get much for murray, keeping him and trading trae for a haul that would likely be bigger than what they gave up for murray may be the better path for them to sustainability.

Atlanta is a team so stuck on the treadmill despite having 1 star and pushing chips in for a 2nd, it's very hard to predict their actions. They are an injured patient in need of a transplant but i dont think they know which organ most needs to be changed.

they are 28/30 in defense this year and allowed multiple guys to go off, im sure that's the thing snyder wants to fix and knows it isn't happening with draft picks or whatever salary filler they get from DJM. Or maybe in the summer a deal like DFS/filler + FRP has appeal to them for DJM moreso than a bigger deal for Trae? That feels like a bandaid more than a transplant though.

Don't worry, Marks will find a way not to land Young. Nets want to wait, wait and keep waiting. They'll have to accept that Kyrie Irving, KD and Harden don't grow on trees and just build the way the Knicks did. Trade for a solid player who is reliable and develop talent.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,259

Post#360 » by Papi_swav » Fri Feb 9, 2024 4:30 pm

No on signing D mitchell and heck no on trading for Trae Young .. I think we can steal Giannis from the Bucks in 2025 if they don't win and looking at it now, it's only a matter of time before they crumble and Giannis wants to dip out. Dame is looking almost old, Lopez doesn't have much time left and Middleton isn't the same player he was before his injury, and Doc is going to ruin that team.

Giannis strikes me as the guy that doesn't care too much to sign the super max again instead he rather win so i can see us signing him outright. Then we can use our assets and trade for another star, kinda like we did with the fake big 3 we had. Now that I think about it, D Mitchell and Giannis would be a cool fit together with a guy like Bridges.

Return to Brooklyn Nets