ImageImageImageImageImage

2023-24 Trade Deadline Thread

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

Netaman
Analyst
And1: 1,069

Re: 2023-24 Trade Deadline Thread 

Post#301 » by Netaman » Thu Feb 8, 2024 1:47 am

vincecarter4pres wrote:What is the out of nowhere splashy move you’d love to see tomorrow?

And you can’t say Mitchell.

No totally unrealistic ones like Doncic or SGA either.

It can be a total blockbuster like Trae, or something more mid, like Sexton.

Let’s hear ‘em!

Ok here's my out of pretty much nowhere one, Dinwiddie + DFS for Herro + filler.

Don't see Atlanta cutting bait with Trae right now while he's having a monster season.
Netaman
Analyst

Post#302 » by Netaman » Thu Feb 8, 2024 1:51 am

vincecarter4pres wrote:
Decipher wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:I fear the Nets are going to trade Dinwiddie, DFS and Claxton for Murray and Capela with someone like Gueye, no first round picks involved.

Wouldn’t be upset, but it’s a bit weird and risky.

Claxton has become a bit underrated, but his looming UFA clouds things.

Wouldn’t be surprised if Hawks stay pretty much how they are as they’re playing better lately

Murray and Capella were late scratches. I’m guessing they have a number of offers on Murray and are mulling them over. Doesn’t mean anything is imminent, but they’re certainly taking no risks over one game right now.

I think Murray is gone. Saves them too much money. Gets them at least 1 FRP. Maybe since it's a down draft they don't mind losing the pick that's only top 10 protected and "paying up" in a down draft vs carrying the risk forward, but if they trade Murray and get some young assets they save money and improve the odds their pick is top 10 in a few months.

The Nets have a nice clean offer for them, but will another team come calling with more than 1 protected FRP and Dinwiddie? Will the Nets match a bigger offer by putting Cam T on the table or a 2nd FRP from a DFS trade?

1 component that I perhaps underrated is how the Nets tricky it would be to take back Murray's 2025 $ if they don't also trade DFS' 2025 money and avoid lux tax while extending Claxton. So those 2 moves may have been essential to link this entire time not only bc of whatever DFS may return, but also because of needing to see how much $ they clear out for next year.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#303 » by vincecarter4pres » Thu Feb 8, 2024 2:00 am

Netaman wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:
Decipher wrote:
Wouldn’t be surprised if Hawks stay pretty much how they are as they’re playing better lately

Murray and Capella were late scratches. I’m guessing they have a number of offers on Murray and are mulling them over. Doesn’t mean anything is imminent, but they’re certainly taking no risks over one game right now.

I think Murray is gone. Saves them too much money. Gets them at least 1 FRP. Maybe since it's a down draft they don't mind losing the pick that's only top 10 protected and "paying up" in a down draft vs carrying the risk forward, but if they trade Murray and get some young assets they save money and improve the odds their pick is top 10 in a few months.

The Nets have a nice clean offer for them, but will another team come calling with more than 1 protected FRP and Dinwiddie? Will the Nets match a bigger offer by putting Cam T on the table or a 2nd FRP from a DFS trade?

1 component that I perhaps underrated is how the Nets tricky it would be to take back Murray's 2025 $ if they don't also trade DFS' 2025 money and avoid lux tax while extending Claxton. So those 2 moves may have been essential to link this entire time not only bc of whatever DFS may return, but also because of needing to see how much $ they clear out for next year.

Yeah the money definitely gets tricky moving forward.

They can probably move DFS any time next year for at worst an expiring though, and that could be their thinking.

Hopefully not, it’s infuriating they keep turning down legit draft capital for this guy like he’s prime Iguodala, but that’s likely their thinking.

Marks has been good, but he gets weird stiffies for some truly mediocre players sometimes. This specific player seems to tickle the rectum of a lot of front offices this time, but wish he’d just make a move with him before it’s too late.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Tha King
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Post#304 » by Tha King » Thu Feb 8, 2024 2:12 am

Netaman wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:What is the out of nowhere splashy move you’d love to see tomorrow?

Let’s hear ‘em!

Ok here's my out of pretty much nowhere one, Dinwiddie + DFS for Herro + filler.

Don't see Atlanta cutting bait with Trae right now while he's having a monster season.

good one. I think Herro is a possibility as well. If so, I think it would be a good idea to try and get something for Thomas. Difference between Herro and Thomas is I can see the former being a somewhat capable lead guard.

Not a splashy move but Kyle Anderson would be a good add. He's like a better version of current Simmons and could be a point forward.

This all assumes there is no rebuild move which I hope there is.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,256

Post#305 » by Papi_swav » Thu Feb 8, 2024 2:12 am

Honestly I'm not expecting much, I think we just get rid of DFS and O'neale. Nobody wants Dinwiddie and I don't see us trading DSJ right now. Don't get your hopes up ladies
Netaman
Analyst

Post#306 » by Netaman » Thu Feb 8, 2024 2:31 am

Tha King wrote:
Netaman wrote:

Let’s hear ‘em!

good one. I think Herro is a possibility as well. If so, I think it would be a good idea to try and get something for Thomas. Difference between Herro and Thomas is I can see the former being a somewhat capable lead guard.

Not a splashy move but Kyle Anderson would be a good add. He's like a better version of current Simmons and could be a point forward.

This all assumes there is no rebuild move which I hope there is.

Agree - another interesting one out of left field - Marcus smart. He’s basically mini ben Simmons. Not sure how much they’d have to give up but we know marks liked him in kd talks.

Would nets do a frp and dinwiddie? Currently out with finger injury for probably another few weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#307 » by vincecarter4pres » Thu Feb 8, 2024 3:01 am

Trade for Gerald Wallace? Heard it will only cost a first rounder.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Netaman
Analyst

Post#308 » by Netaman » Thu Feb 8, 2024 3:28 am

vincecarter4pres wrote:Trade for Gerald Wallace? Heard it will only cost a first rounder.

oh man trigger warning :lol:
Decipher
Rookie
And1: 914

Post#309 » by Decipher » Thu Feb 8, 2024 3:38 am

This one is based on reading some of the stuff from OKC

DFS & Royce for Giddey, Bertans & at least one of their ‘24 1sts

It would be nice to get their Rockets pick as it looks to be falling in the same range of the lottery as ours

Bottom line is that they have 3 of them and they’re not all needed

Giddey is a talented ball handler who is playing out of position because of SGA and there’s rumours that he might be available

Both guys have size which we sorely need
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#310 » by vincecarter4pres » Thu Feb 8, 2024 5:17 am

Netaman wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:Trade for Gerald Wallace? Heard it will only cost a first rounder.

oh man trigger warning :lol:

:wizard: :lol:
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#311 » by vincecarter4pres » Thu Feb 8, 2024 5:30 am

Decipher wrote:This one is based on reading some of the stuff from OKC

It would be nice to get their Rockets pick as it looks to be falling in the same range of the lottery as ours

Giddey is a talented ball handler who is playing out of position because of SGA and there’s rumours that he might be available

Don’t know they give up Giddey for this type of package, but love it for us.

Not sure we’d want to give up Royce with the Mitchell connection either.

But do think they’d like DFS for Bertrans and one if not two picks including either the Houston pick, or the Jazz, and a future pick like Denver’s ‘27, or one of the ‘25 or ‘26 picks they own.

Bertrans cost almost $4 mill more than DFS on his own though, maybe we put in Gilles and Watford to match, or Cam Thomas and make it the better of the Houston and Jazz pick, and the better of all the ‘25 picks they have.
Decipher
Rookie

Post#312 » by Decipher » Thu Feb 8, 2024 5:39 am

vincecarter4pres wrote:

But do think they’d like DFS for Bertrans and one if not two picks including either the Houston pick, or the Jazz, and a future pick like Denver’s ‘27, or one of the ‘25 or ‘26 picks they own.

Bertrans cost almost $4 mill more than DFS on his own though, maybe we put in Gilles and Watford to match, or Cam Thomas and make it the better of the Houston and Jazz pick, and the better of all the ‘25 picks they have.

No cap expert but Bertans contract contains an early termination option next season so not much of a hit then but no idea whether it impacts us this year

Giddey is apparently seen as expendable at OKC so might be an opportunity to get him cheap
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#313 » by vincecarter4pres » Thu Feb 8, 2024 5:44 am

Decipher wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:

No cap expert but Bertans contract contains an early termination option next season so not much of a hit then but no idea whether it impacts us this year

Giddey is apparently seen as expendable at OKC so might be an opportunity to get him cheap

One of the latest reports from the Nets beats iirc, said they have had talks with OKC and were like Betrans as well. And have been reading the same on OKC’s side about Giddey, so definitely picking up what you’re putting down connecting the dots.

Hmm.

I’d be very pleased with this type of return.

Cap-wise I’m thinking the Nets want to avoid the repeater by any means, so was thinking about that too though.
Decipher
Rookie

Post#314 » by Decipher » Thu Feb 8, 2024 8:20 am

vincecarter4pres wrote:
Decipher wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:Don’t know they give up Giddey for this type of package, but love it for us.

One of the latest reports from the Nets beats iirc, said they have had talks with OKC and were like Betrans as well. And have been reading the same on OKC’s side about Giddey, so definitely picking up what you’re putting down connecting the dots.

Hmm.

Cap-wise I’m thinking the Nets want to avoid the repeater by any means, so was thinking about that too though.

I am like you in that I would take the alleged Houston offer for Mikal but would also try to do the same with Cam J to OKC for Giddey and picks, etc

Entering next season with healthy Simmons, rejuvenated Giddey, Cam T, Green, Clax, Sharpe, our kids, at least 2 lottery pick players, boatload of future picks etc would be fun

Taping up a broken leg isn’t fun
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,149

Post#315 » by Dadouv47 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 12:45 pm

Decipher wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:
Decipher wrote:

Hmm.

I am like you in that I would take the alleged Houston offer for Mikal but would also try to do the same with Cam J to OKC for Giddey and picks, etc

Entering next season with healthy Simmons, rejuvenated Giddey, Cam T, Green, Clax, Sharpe, our kids, at least 2 lottery pick players, boatload of future picks etc would be fun

Thunder fan here looking to trade for some Nets players (DFS if it's not 2 FRPs, Claxton depending on how much he wants on his extension but won't happen)

I don't think Giddey is available for that cheap right now. (maybe if Can Johnson is involved). I would definitely trade him but I think Presti isn't going to change our startling line up this season with our beyond expected success and will wait the offseason to trade him. I do think that Giddey is still a good prospect and would be a great fit in Brooklyn. He needs good wings to surround him and less ball handler and you guys are the perfect team for him (maybe Utah too?).
We just can't afford to make him our primary ball handler with SGA and JDub while you guys really lack a true PG. Main issue is that he can be extended this offseason but most people forget that the kid is only 21 years old (same age as most sophomores) so it wouldn't surprise me if ends up being a borderline all star kind of player but unfortunately it won't be in OKC.
NetsWorld
Starter
And1: 1,030

Post#316 » by NetsWorld » Thu Feb 8, 2024 1:05 pm

Decipher wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:
Decipher wrote:

Hmm.

This is indeed the most realistic path moving forward. Getting your picks back plus young prospects gives you a chance to develop young players who have real upside into superstars.
ChuckS
Bench Warmer
And1: 213

Post#317 » by ChuckS » Thu Feb 8, 2024 1:13 pm

Netaman wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:
Decipher wrote:
Probably known for a while that he isn’t going to be extended & might not believe that JV has put him in the best place to succeed

He’s playing 30 minutes per game though so you would have thought that he’d show some passion at some point even if it meant completely tearing up the gameplan and just going after his own

Instead just looks like he’s moping around the court

Exactly.

x3. 100% dead on.

I totally agree. I like the guy and he seemed so excited about getting back to his roots. And I was shocked...shocked! I expected so much. In two years with a rookie coach, Jason Kidd, he had 15.8 points on 49.8/40.4/72.5% and 17.7 points on 45.5/40.4/82.1%. I figured he'd be at least close playing for another ex point guard. I think the distinguished beard fooled me. I worried a little early in the year when he was replaced in fourth quarters by a six year, six team, player. I herein opined that management had decided not to re-sign him (probably for repeater tax purposes) and was seeking a cheap replacement, somewhat like our summer hires. But that ended after a couple of close losses and all was well until sometime during our losing streak.

Suddenly Spence was replaced in fourth quarters by DSJ. Don't get me wrong. I think the kid is good. But it didn't make sense to me. NBA.com clutch player stats had Dinwiddie 97th and DSJ 211th. On our team they listed Spence 3d in clutch points and DSJ 9th, 6th in FG% to 9th, and tied for second on 3's% to 7th. And heaven knows our defense was certainly no better in spite of his talents. In one recent game Spence came in at the nine minute mark of the fourth quarter, had an immediate assist on a Walker three, and was replaced by DSJ after one minute, never to return. I haven't seen that done with even college freshman. A pundit recently wrote that he thought Spence was on strike. That seems out of character to me. I could be projecting but, to me, he seems totally dispirited. In a recent interview he expressed relief that at least his pension was secure.

In summary and in retrospect I now feel totally naive. I should not have expected so much with Spence following two generational talents like Harden and Irving and the success they had with this organization. I realize, however, that mine is a lonely opinion.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#318 » by vincecarter4pres » Thu Feb 8, 2024 3:03 pm

Expected Dinwiddie to be much better than this, maybe 16/7/3 on bad raw percentage and average advanced, but more importantly playing with passion and aggression.

Yes he’s been jerked around by this organization and JV has done him no favors, but the way he quit on this team and so early into the season, sulking and moping around like some bratty teenager while being paid $22 million dollars is just abhorrent, unprofessional and inexcusable.

If he isn’t traded, truly hope he’s bought out, or sent home to brood. Lost all respect for him this year.
Netaman
Analyst

Post#319 » by Netaman » Thu Feb 8, 2024 3:18 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:Expected Dinwiddie to be much better than this, maybe 16/7/3 on bad raw percentage and average advanced, but more importantly playing with passion and aggression.

Yes he’s been jerked around by this organization and JV has done him no favors, but the way he quit on this team and so early into the season, sulking and moping around like some bratty teenager while being paid $22 million dollars is just abhorrent, unprofessional and inexcusable.

If he isn’t traded, truly hope he’s bought out, or sent home to brood. Lost all respect for him this year.

i didnt expect his %s to be good but i didnt expect 39% overall and 32% from 3 (53% ts%).

i hoped he'd be 6th man (simmons starting) and closer to his dallas efficiency (in 2 years he shot 40% from 3 and had a 60% ts). maybe somewhere halfway between what he's been this year and that around 56-57% ts?

fyi for the first 20 games thats about what he was, then he went over a cliff in december. injuries piled up, he regressed, and along the way id imagine it became clear the nets werent planning to extend him and he got sour.

Netaman
Analyst

Post#320 » by Netaman » Thu Feb 8, 2024 3:27 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:
Decipher wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:One of the latest reports from the Nets beats iirc, said they have had talks with OKC and were like Betrans as well. And have been reading the same on OKC’s side about Giddey, so definitely picking up what you’re putting down connecting the dots.

Hmm.

Thunder fan here looking to trade for some Nets players (DFS if it's not 2 FRPs, Claxton depending on how much he wants on his extension but won't happen)

I don't think Giddey is available for that cheap right now. (maybe if Can Johnson is involved). I would definitely trade him but I think Presti isn't going to change our startling line up this season with our beyond expected success and will wait the offseason to trade him. I do think that Giddey is still a good prospect and would be a great fit in Brooklyn. He needs good wings to surround him and less ball handler and you guys are the perfect team for him (maybe Utah too?).
We just can't afford to make him our primary ball handler with SGA and JDub while you guys really lack a true PG. Main issue is that he can be extended this offseason but most people forget that the kid is only 21 years old (same age as most sophomores) so it wouldn't surprise me if ends up being a borderline all star kind of player but unfortunately it won't be in OKC.

so it looks like bertans is guaranteed 5.25m next year of his 16m and it goes fully guaranteed next january. that seems like a movable contract so not terrible filler for dfs, but also not great.

okc currently has 2 top 15 picks projected, id take 1 of them for dfs and maybe some 2nds (hoping to move bertans' salary over summer). another possibility maybe the best of whatever 2025 frp's ends up?

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2023/11/thunder-davis-bertans-agree-to-contract-revision.html

Return to Brooklyn Nets