ImageImageImageImageImage

2023-24 Trade Deadline Thread

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

drchaos
Rookie
And1: 409

Re: 2023-24 Trade Deadline Thread 

Post#361 » by drchaos » Fri Feb 9, 2024 4:43 pm

Papi_swav wrote:No on signing D mitchell and heck no on trading for Trae Young .. I think we can steal Giannis from the Bucks in 2025 if they don't win and looking at it now, it's only a matter of time before they crumble and Giannis wants to dip out. Dame is looking almost old, Lopez doesn't have much time left and Middleton isn't the same player he was before his injury, and Doc is going to ruin that team.

Giannis strikes me as the guy that doesn't care too much to sign the super max again instead he rather win so i can see us signing him outright. Then we can use our assets and trade for another star, kinda like we did with the fake big 3 we had. Now that I think about it, D Mitchell and Giannis would be a cool fit together with a guy like Bridges.

I wanted D Mitchell and Lauri but I like your plan better.
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,599

Post#362 » by TheNetsFan » Fri Feb 9, 2024 5:14 pm

drchaos wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:No on signing D mitchell and heck no on trading for Trae Young .. I think we can steal Giannis from the Bucks in 2025 if they don't win and looking at it now, it's only a matter of time before they crumble and Giannis wants to dip out. Dame is looking almost old, Lopez doesn't have much time left and Middleton isn't the same player he was before his injury, and Doc is going to ruin that team.

Giannis strikes me as the guy that doesn't care too much to sign the super max again instead he rather win so i can see us signing him outright. Then we can use our assets and trade for another star, kinda like we did with the fake big 3 we had. Now that I think about it, D Mitchell and Giannis would be a cool fit together with a guy like Bridges.

Giannis just signed an extension when they made the Dame trade. It would have to get really, really ugly for them to trade him already.

Luka is a '26 free agent. If the Mavs continue to disappoint, he could get antsy.
Netaman
Analyst
And1: 1,069

Post#363 » by Netaman » Fri Feb 9, 2024 8:00 pm

NetsWorld wrote:
Don't worry, Marks will find a way not to land Young. Nets want to wait, wait and keep waiting. They'll have to accept that Kyrie Irving, KD and Harden don't grow on trees and just build the way the Knicks did. Trade for a solid player who is reliable and develop talent.

the knicks signed brunson and when they did nobody considered him the star he is now, and they specifically did it instead of trading for mitchell which is what everyone expected (and their fanbase was heavily invested in).

pre-Brunson most knick fans wanted to can thibs. rose hasn't spoken to the media in like 2 or 3 years too. the knicks were extremely patient, so if emulating the knicks is the rage now because they're having success patience while ignoring fan frustration is probably a key ingredient. and honestly as much as id love to do a big trade for trae tomorrow it's probably is the not the better way to go, signing a free agent without giving up assets after simmons expires is probably the best outcome, they just may need to wait beyond 2025 to do it because good players dont grow on trees.

12 years went by from when the knicks signed amare to brunson.

there is never a guarantee star hunting will succeed whether its via trade or free agent. the odds are probably always against. but if you are big market stars like kd, kyrie, harden, lillard, mitchell want to play in, it's still probably worth doing.
Netaman
Analyst

Post#364 » by Netaman » Fri Feb 9, 2024 8:10 pm

TheNetsFan wrote:
drchaos wrote:

Giannis just signed an extension when they made the Dame trade. It would have to get really, really ugly for them to trade him already.

Luka is a '26 free agent. If the Mavs continue to disappoint, he could get antsy.

Mitchell and Luka are the 2 obvious ones.

Trae and Garland are 2 who you wonder about depending on how their teams decide to press forward. It would seem unlikely Cleveland is going to max both Garland and Mitchell, unless they do something crazy like win a title this year. So while Mitchell is the more likely to walk, who knows. I think Mitchell is the better player personally.

Trae is definitely not a no brainer, but he's also potentially the only one who is currently on the market.

Bottomline for now i think we need to root for the Cavs to have another early exit and mitchell to hit the market. he is the best fit.

admittedly this is a very crude methodology, but basically consult this list. haliburton, jokic, giannis, lillard, harden (lol), lebron, brunson, booker, barnes, maxey all basically no shot. guys like conley and fvv may hit FA but are unlikely to fit bc of age. ingram, mitchell, and murray are #25, #29, #30 on this list. there just aren't many options (as will always be the case if we are talking about players good enough to garner any level of MVP consideration).

Decipher
Rookie
And1: 915

Post#365 » by Decipher » Fri Feb 9, 2024 9:15 pm

Why would anyone sign here when we’re so dysfunctional?

Not only that but other teams want to sign a star & are In better shape

The owner completely fkd this up
Netaman
Analyst

Post#366 » by Netaman » Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:59 am

Decipher wrote:Why would anyone sign here when we’re so dysfunctional?

Why were they 1 of Lillards 2 teams?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,599

Post#367 » by TheNetsFan » Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:23 am

Netaman wrote:

Murray also had Brooklyn as his preference.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#368 » by vincecarter4pres » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:33 am

TheNetsFan wrote:
Netaman wrote:

And KD and Kyrie signed here.

This is a premier destination now, it just is.

I’m not a fan of the way this roster and staff has been handled this year, and still would have preferred to have traded for our picks back and one of Houston’s better prospects. But… things aren’t completely lost, they’re just still going to do what we thought they would all along, go big game hunting and try the insta-grow contender route again, expunging all the primo assets in the process, for better or worse.

At this point you just have to hope on a miracle that Luka forces his way here, with Mitchell being a very nice consolation prize.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Netaman
Analyst

Post#369 » by Netaman » Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:49 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:
TheNetsFan wrote:
Netaman wrote:Why were they 1 of Lillards 2 teams?

I’m not a fan of the way this roster and staff has been handled this year, and still would have preferred to have traded for our picks back and one of Houston’s better prospects. But… things aren’t completely lost, they’re just still going to do what we thought they would all along, go big game hunting and try the insta-grow contender route again, expunging all the primo assets in the process, for better or worse.

At this point you just have to hope on a miracle that Luka forces his way here, with Mitchell being a very nice consolation prize.

Right and in mitchell's case he wants to play in NY, so he has 2 choices. Knicks have to max brunson that same offseason, and if Cleveland doesnt work out you have to wonder if he'd want to share the ball with another lead guard again. Maybe or maybe not.

I havent done a deep dive on knicks cap or anything but i think they are going to most likely have to trade for him to get him since OG is going to get extended probably north of cam johnson (20%+), Brunson will at least have a 20% cap hold, Randle has a 2025-2026 player option at 21%, and even hart vincenco will count towards 20% of cap. Robinson is on the books for another 13m and Harenstein is going to need to get extended beyond his current 9m this offseason. So pretty hard to see them getting under the cap for a max contract in 2025 without purging probably half the current roster around og/brunson.

that's probably why they've held firm hanging on to all their tradable draft picks. they definitely have 1 more big trade in them, the big question as it relates to the nets is if it's for mitchell or someone else?
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,893

Post#370 » by Hello Brooklyn » Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:35 pm

Well I think we did fine.

I did want to trade DFS but I don't think a good trade was out there. Might find something better in the off season.

Royce had to go as hes an expiring.

Dinwiddie obviously had to go and Schroeder will be a decent PG that we desperately need.

Bridges had the most value but the Nets have made it clear they want to use him to get another star here.

No star is available right now and going all in for D Murray is just dumb.

If I'm the Nets I use the rest of the season to develop Cam Thomas and try to FINALLY get Simmons healthy.

I think one of the big stars demands a trade in the off season. Could be Luka, could be Giannis, could be Anthony Davis, Embiid, Booker etc.

Or Mitchell is not a bad pickup either. We just need to stay the course for now.

We knew we were in a rough patch after 7/11 ended. I think most of us just thought we had to talent to be a play in team.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#371 » by vincecarter4pres » Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:44 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:Well I think we did fine.

I did want to trade DFS but I don't think a good trade was out there. Might find something better in the off season.

Probably need to hold his contract as potential salary filler between the summer and next deadline as well.

Royce had to go as hes an expiring.

Sadly yes, and we had no business holding him hostage here anymore, he deserves to play for a playoff team, plus he brought back an ok return for the fact he’s an UFA this summer.

Dinwiddie obviously had to go and Schroeder will be a decent PG that we desperately need.

Dinwiddie absolutely had to go, Idk that Schroeder is the point guard we desperately need though. He’s decent, but more of a 6xth man, or starter on a contender. He’s also been a malcontent until his most recent stop, color me skeptical he won’t become a problem at worst, a distraction at best, himself.

Bridges had the most value but the Nets have made it clear they want to use him to get another star here.

No star is available right now and going all in for D Murray is just dumb.

That they did and that they will attempt, for better or worse.

And agreed on Murray. As an advantageous opportunity add on the cheap he made some sense, not at an elevated asset cost though, and his long term salary is potentially cumbersome.

If I'm the Nets I use the rest of the season to develop Cam Thomas and try to FINALLY get Simmons healthy.

Again color me doubly skeptical.

If I’m the Nets, I use the rest of the season to pump up Cam’s value and move him on draft night for a top 10 lotto pick if possible. I’d take anything into the mid teens, or a lightly protected, likely top 20 ‘25 pick and an expiring playable veteran as well.

Simmons I’ll be happy if he just plays 60% of the remaining games and doesn’t get hurt again and it carries over to next season until he’s dealt as expiring salary filler.

I think one of the big stars demands a trade in the off season. Could be Luka, could be Giannis, could be Anthony Davis, Embiid, Booker etc.

Or Mitchell is not a bad pickup either. We just need to stay the course for now.

I wouldn’t call Mitchell a, “not bad pickup”, in fact I take him over every player on your list besides Luka by next year, and maybe/probably Giannis,

He’s better than Booker without blinking.

Embiid is a walking season ending injury and has consistently failed in the playoffs in weak spots.

Anthony Davis is getting up there and hasn’t played more than 62 games in a season in 6 seasons, same reason I’d pause to take Giannis over him. What do these guys look like just year two into a trade?

Mitchell gets way underrated and undersold. I always pause to call him a generational talent because he probably isn’t, but he is close. He’s a lock top 15 player in an era of the NBA that’s as overall talented and top heavy with true superstars and a dozen fringe ones since the late 80’s into the early 90’s.

He’s a flame thrower and has mainly elevated his game in the playoffs, even though the recent failure is what everyone is pointing to.

A lot of people were clamoring for Lillard here even at his advanced age and high asset cost, but Mitchell is a Wade/Lillard hybrid, just not as good as the former.

We knew we were in a rough patch after 7/11 ended. I think most of us just thought we had to talent to be a play in team.

Personally this is where I expected us to be most of the offseason. I started drinking the kool aid a little at training camp, but mainly just to be an optimistic fan and have some fun with it.

We are still about a good point guard or lead guard away from being a real playoff team, but still, said it all summer we were closer to a 7-9 lotto team then a play-in team.

So I’m not confused, just frustrated, especially because I never thought Houston would actually put the offer of all picks returned on the table, plus likely other assets or prospects, just for our FO to snap reject it without even giving it any rational and logical merit.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#372 » by vincecarter4pres » Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:51 pm

Netaman wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:
TheNetsFan wrote:Murray also had Brooklyn as his preference.

Right and in mitchell's case he wants to play in NY, so he has 2 choices. Knicks have to max brunson that same offseason, and if Cleveland doesnt work out you have to wonder if he'd want to share the ball with another lead guard again. Maybe or maybe not.

I havent done a deep dive on knicks cap or anything but i think they are going to most likely have to trade for him to get him since OG is going to get extended probably north of cam johnson (20%+), Brunson will at least have a 20% cap hold, Randle has a 2025-2026 player option at 21%, and even hart vincenco will count towards 20% of cap. Robinson is on the books for another 13m and Harenstein is going to need to get extended beyond his current 9m this offseason. So pretty hard to see them getting under the cap for a max contract in 2025 without purging probably half the current roster around og/brunson.

that's probably why they've held firm hanging on to all their tradable draft picks. they definitely have 1 more big trade in them, the big question as it relates to the nets is if it's for mitchell or someone else?

Hopefully it’s not Luka lol.
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,177

Post#373 » by Keith Van Horn » Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:39 pm

we'd be soooo lucky if we can land Mitchell. IDK what some of you all are thinking that it would be better to pass him up and to continue to develop Cam Thomas. Mitchell is lightyears better.

And Luka would be insane to get. Color me skeptical though, it's hard to see a path to either of these guys coming here now.
drchaos
Rookie
And1: 409

Post#374 » by drchaos » Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:27 pm

Keith Van Horn wrote:we'd be soooo lucky if we can land Mitchell. IDK what some of you all are thinking that it would be better to pass him up and to continue to develop Cam Thomas. Mitchell is lightyears better.

And Luka would be insane to get. Color me skeptical though, it's hard to see a path to either of these guys coming here now.

Mitchell and Thomas in the back court with Bridges and Claxton in the front court plus we get to keep all of our picks would be a great outcome for us.

The trick now is to build the rest of the team without closing that window.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#375 » by vincecarter4pres » Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:59 pm

drchaos wrote:
Keith Van Horn wrote:we'd be soooo lucky if we can land Mitchell. IDK what some of you all are thinking that it would be better to pass him up and to continue to develop Cam Thomas. Mitchell is lightyears better.

Mitchell and Thomas in the back court with Bridges and Claxton in the front court plus we get to keep all of our picks would be a great outcome for us.

I’ll keep beating the trade Cam drum, I just don’t see it with this kid, and can guarantee a guy like Mitchell would have zero desire sharing the backcourt with him on a nightly basis.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#376 » by vincecarter4pres » Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:02 pm

Externally yes, a lot of mitigating factors to that path, but just have to accept it, especially as a Nets fan, we are a premier FA and trade request destination, it won’t matter if our record stinks.

We have a rich owner with deep pockets who wants to take short cuts, a very good GM, Vaughn will be shown the door, great role players with youth, Mikal and an empty canvas in the biggest media market in the US, the stars will come here, even if it’s not those 2.
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,177

Post#377 » by Keith Van Horn » Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:03 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:
drchaos wrote:

I’ll keep beating the trade Cam drum, I just don’t see it with this kid, and can guarantee a guy like Mitchell would have zero desire sharing the backcourt with him on a nightly basis.

I agree re: Cam

Believe me, I LOVE rooting for the homegrown and "scrap heap" guys that we get, develop, and see success with.

I just can't put my finger on it with Cam though. I'm not head over heels for him. He's been great in bursts, but I'm just not sure if he's a guy to build around. Like if you were to tell me he had to be included in a deal to get Mitchell, it would be a no brainer.

The other thing I just can't with this year... Simmons.

I actually hate the guy. I just get angry on site of his smug smile. I just want him off this team asap. I don't care if he puts up 8/12/10 stat line every night. The guy just infuriates me. He seems like such a punk and is just an unlikeable guy. When he shoved Jarrett Allen the other night I was pissed for JA.

I'm praying he continues to play "well enough" that he'll be easy to move. I know he's an expiring contract and all, but maybe his decent play will help us in not having to send picks along with him to get a player upgrade. Give me Trae Young 100/100 times over Simmons' bum ass.
Netaman
Analyst

Post#378 » by Netaman » Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:05 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:
drchaos wrote:

I also agree here, camt is likely the colin sexton in any mitchell scenario. even if he doesn't end up going to cleveland directly since they are a winning team that probably doesnt have interest in him, but who knows maybe they will?

taking a side step - forgetting whatever cleveland's position is on trading mitchell, through his eyes this summer he is going to be 1 year from freedom. i dont expect him to demand anything of cleveland because he doesnt seem like that type, but in his shoes it is pretty much a necessity that he and his agent consider the landscape of what their options will be in 2025. the sooner cle gets eliminated the sooner that thought process starts, and the more necessary that will feel.

his home town has 2 teams and 1 of them projects to have max cap space along with at least 3 other quality starters his same age or younger signed (camj, bridges, clax). along with a ton of picks. his best move for his next team may be playing out the last year in cleveland and then going to the new team without them purging any assets.

like i said i dont know how he'd look at a team up with brunson after this garland experience. the knicks have ammo and he could prefer them or just be agnostic to whoever gets him.

cleveland is really in the toughest position of needing to read the room and come up with a plan. nobody wants to trade super stars but as we've seen 3x in the last 24 months here, what the teams want has little to do with it.

i think over the next couple months JV is to some degree coaching for his job. There is such a big difference in being competitive, getting into a play-in, and having the season end only 1 week or so earlier than CLE/NYK than being a doormat. Last year's outcome was good enough to keep them on Lillard's list. They need to find a way to finish similarly.

btw 1 way Schroder is an interesting piece, he plays a pretty similar game to Murray (quick, disruptive, good getting into the paint, not great outside shooter). In a way we are seeing what the roster looks like with diet Murray right now, before having to commit to the full price of his extension. If Mitchell doesn't hit the market I think the new nets 2.0 could very well be murray next year for dfs/schroder/camt/pick.

and remember, in the summer before any murray (or trae) trade they will know better if mitchell has hit the market and if they can get him.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#379 » by vincecarter4pres » Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:44 pm

Netaman wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:
drchaos wrote:

I also agree here, camt is likely the colin sexton in any mitchell scenario. even if he doesn't end up going to cleveland directly since they are a winning team that probably doesnt have interest in him, but who knows maybe they will?

taking a side step - forgetting whatever cleveland's position is on trading mitchell, through his eyes this summer he is going to be 1 year from freedom. i dont expect him to demand anything of cleveland because he doesnt seem like that type, but in his shoes it is pretty much a necessity that he and his agent consider the landscape of what their options will be in 2025. the sooner cle gets eliminated the sooner that thought process starts, and the more necessary that will feel.

his home town has 2 teams and 1 of them projects to have max cap space along with at least 3 other quality starters his same age or younger signed (camj, bridges, clax). along with a ton of picks. his best move for his next team may be playing out the last year in cleveland and then going to the new team without them purging any assets.

like i said i dont know how he'd look at a team up with brunson after this garland experience. the knicks have ammo and he could prefer them or just be agnostic to whoever gets him.

cleveland is really in the toughest position of needing to read the room and come up with a plan. nobody wants to trade super stars but as we've seen 3x in the last 24 months here, what the teams want has little to do with it.

i think over the next couple months JV is to some degree coaching for his job. There is such a big difference in being competitive, getting into a play-in, and having the season end only 1 week or so earlier than CLE/NYK than being a doormat. Last year's outcome was good enough to keep them on Lillard's list. They need to find a way to finish similarly.

btw 1 way Schroder is an interesting piece, he plays a pretty similar game to Murray (quick, disruptive, good getting into the paint, not great outside shooter). In a way we are seeing what the roster looks like with diet Murray right now, before having to commit to the full price of his extension. If Mitchell doesn't hit the market I think the new nets 2.0 could very well be murray next year for dfs/schroder/camt/pick.

and remember, in the summer before any murray (or trae) trade they will know better if mitchell has hit the market and if they can get him.

Cleveland may go down with the ship.

And really the first thing is, why is it so outlandish he just re-signs with them for a full max?

Tbh with Atlanta, it’s easy to see a world where they send Trae packing somewhere for a monster haul, find a way to ship out Hunter, or Bogie, etc. for ‘25 cap space, and keep it moving with Murray, Johnson and a ton of picks and try and nab one of the top 2nd tier FA’s.

Atlanta has always been a FA destination for the fringe All Star level guys looking for big money and a bigger role.
Tha King
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Post#380 » by Tha King » Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:08 pm

I am just not really sure why Mitchell would leave that Cavs roster. They are set up very well.

Trae is a possibility and would probably require all of the Suns picks and maybe more. In the offseason you could use Simmons' expiring contract to keep depth and the Hawks would be rebuilding anyways.

Trae
Bridges
CJ
DFS
Clax

Sharpe, Wilson, Clowney, and whatever you can get for Thomas because he doesn't fit the roster anymore with Trae. Competitive playoff type of team.

I am not really sure what to think but Trae is signed long term and at least gives you a direction you can build on.

Return to Brooklyn Nets