ImageImageImageImageImage

Pick a direction: Where do you see (or want to see) the Nets go, moving forward?

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

3pt_chucker
Head Coach
And1: 2,002

Re: Pick a direction: Where do you see (or want to see) the Nets go, moving forward? 

Post#21 » by 3pt_chucker » Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:24 pm

The one Mikal trade that makes sense was always Rockets trading back the Nets control of the their own picks but that seemed unrealistic because why tf would the Rockets do that??

Except, for some reason the Rockets think Mikal is a piece that moves the needle for them enough to do it. Of course, Marks when presented with a get out jail free card for the Harden trade (and a nice reset button), not only says no but doubles down on Bridges and does not even negotiate with Houston. Insane and borderline malpractice.

Of course this very well could be postering and the Nets revisit this on draft night and trades Bridges for '24 FRP and nullify '25 swap, then this makes sense. However, this feels very risky because Rockets would have tons of more options than Bridges in the offseason, and if they get lucky in the lottery, have a top5 pick.

Now that would be a total disaster.
NetsWorld
Starter
And1: 1,030

Re: Pick a direction: Where do you see (or want to see) the Nets go, moving forward? 

Post#22 » by NetsWorld » Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:35 pm

3pt_chucker wrote:The one Mikal trade that makes sense was always Rockets trading back the Nets control of the their own picks but that seemed unrealistic because why tf would the Rockets do that??

Except, for some reason the Rockets think Mikal is a piece that moves the needle for them enough to do it. Of course, Marks when presented with a get out jail free card for the Harden trade (and a nice reset button), not only says no but doubles down on Bridges and does not even negotiate with Houston. Insane and borderline malpractice.

Of course this very well could be postering and the Nets revisit this on draft night and trades Bridges for '24 FRP and nullify '25 swap, then this makes sense. However, this feels very risky because Rockets would have tons of more options than Bridges in the offseason, and if they get lucky in the lottery, have a top5 pick.

The only way I see the Nets trading Bridges is if they get wind of a star player not wanting to come; this off season could be akin to 2010 when Nets knew they lost the LBJ sweepstakes and signed Outlaw instead. Of course the league is a lot more talented but I believe Bridges will be used as a third wheel on this team if they can land a superstar duo. As far as who that will be, I don't know.
Eatgreenz
Senior
And1: 314

Post#23 » by Eatgreenz » Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:18 pm

NetsWorld wrote:
3pt_chucker wrote:The one Mikal trade that makes sense was always Rockets trading back the Nets control of the their own picks but that seemed unrealistic because why tf would the Rockets do that??

The only way I see the Nets trading Bridges is if they get wind of a star player not wanting to come; this off season could be akin to 2010 when Nets knew they lost the LBJ sweepstakes and signed Outlaw instead. Of course the league is a lot more talented but I believe Bridges will be used as a third wheel on this team if they can land a superstar duo. As far as who that will be, I don't know.

Thats why im not worried. The Nets are getting someone, the moves made is like they know that for sure. You only hold on to Bridges if your in fact certain a star is coming to put him in his correct role.
Cstarski
Ballboy
And1: 4

Post#24 » by Cstarski » Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:37 am

Probably bottom 5 potential landing spots for a star player wanting to compete… but yeah, let’s “retool”
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,177

Post#25 » by Keith Van Horn » Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:02 pm

Cstarski wrote:Probably bottom 5 potential landing spots for a star player wanting to compete… but yeah, let’s “retool”

hey, we all said the same thing for 20 years, why would anyone choose the Nets. Little brother to NYK, "last in attendance", more away fans than home fans, etc etc. And then it happened with KD and Kyrie, who actively chose to be here despite all the despair of the previous 4 seasons. In a flash, we were perennial contenders.

Also in a flash, it was all over with nothing to show. (but that's a different story)

We need to keep an open mind to having cap space flexibility and favorable players (ie Mikal, Claxton) to play with already in place. To me, that is huge. Getting Simmons off this roster is a huge priority.

I wouldn't worry too much about the draft picks right now. Anything can happen over the next few months. We could always make a trade on draft night that puts us in a completely different position going forward.
3pt_chucker
Head Coach

Post#26 » by 3pt_chucker » Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:24 pm

Getting both KD and Kyrie in free agency was a black swan event(that entire FA for the NBA was). Expecting/Hoping for that again seems like a horrible plan.
JKiddy
Bench Warmer
And1: 321

Post#27 » by JKiddy » Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:59 pm

Eatgreenz wrote:This latest presser by Marks tells me they got a star or stars coming. Agents might have told the FO their client is looking to be moved. You dont make the moves his making acquiring picks and cap space. If your not 100% certain your getting someone soon like 2025 at the latest. It would plain dumb.

They know someone is coming. The question is who?

A BIG NAME wants out. It is now a secret to us. But, they must know they have a big fish or two they can land. It will likely take most of our picks. I hope we still get to keep one of the Suns picks for when they are one of the worst teams in the league.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#28 » by vincecarter4pres » Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:14 pm

We are a top 5 FA destination every summer from now til infinity.

It doesn’t mean we will always land a top 5 overall player every time we have the opportunity, but make no mistake, this is and will continue to be a top landing spot for free agents and stars asking out.

All that said, still wish they just traded Bridges for the picks back.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Cstarski
Ballboy

Post#29 » by Cstarski » Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:23 pm

Keith Van Horn wrote:
Cstarski wrote:Probably bottom 5 potential landing spots for a star player wanting to compete… but yeah, let’s “retool”

hey, we all said the same thing for 20 years, why would anyone choose the Nets. Little brother to NYK, "last in attendance", more away fans than home fans, etc etc. And then it happened with KD and Kyrie, who actively chose to be here despite all the despair of the previous 4 seasons. In a flash, we were perennial contenders.

Also in a flash, it was all over with nothing to show. (but that's a different story)

We need to keep an open mind to having cap space flexibility and favorable players (ie Mikal, Claxton) to play with already in place. To me, that is huge. Getting Simmons off this roster is a huge priority.

I wouldn't worry too much about the draft picks right now. Anything can happen over the next few months. We could always make a trade on draft night that puts us in a completely different position going forward.

I was actually going to give you an actual response in line with what the poster under you said (black swan via home town ties + friendship in addition to the fact the teams outlook/league perception was 100% different than it is now) but then it dawned on me the complete irony of your first sentence.

“For 20 years no one wanted to come to us”

That’s my whole damn point… why in the hell is everyone here so allergic to building organically via the draft? For 20 years we had to rely on selling ourselves, that’s the whole damn problem right there.

It’s ironic because the only time we made the finals, well you know. It must be such a coincidence that every team in contention now or have WON a chip in the last 24 years either drafted their best or second best player. Hell of a coincidence….
Eatgreenz
Senior
And1: 314

Post#30 » by Eatgreenz » Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:22 am

JKiddy wrote:
Eatgreenz wrote:This latest presser by Marks tells me they got a star or stars coming. Agents might have told the FO their client is looking to be moved. You dont make the moves his making acquiring picks and cap space. If your not 100% certain your getting someone soon like 2025 at the latest. It would plain dumb.

A BIG NAME wants out. It is now a secret to us. But, they must know they have a big fish or two they can land. It will likely take most of our picks. I hope we still get to keep one of the Suns picks for when they are one of the worst teams in the league.

Already rumors trae could be on the move this summer,pelicans are going to make a choice between ingram and zion, then the mitchell rumors of course. Could an out of nowhere trade demand nobody sees coming untill the actually offseason begins. But Nets are getting somebody loading up on picks and capspace like they know for sure
drchaos
Rookie
And1: 409

Post#31 » by drchaos » Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:31 pm

This team didn't look so bad at the start of the season with a healthy Ben Simmons but has really gone off the rails.

Earlier in the season I was all in on Bridges and Claxton while feeling OK about the Cam Johnson extension.

Now I feel that we overpaid Cam and would be open to using Bridges as a chip to get something of more value where I previously thought he was untradeable.

We should absolutely work the phones on draft day but I am really liking the idea of keeping all of our draft picks and freeing up cap space to get both Donovan Mitchell and Lauri Markkenan. If we get Lauri with a S&T we do not necessarily need to have enough cap space for their full contracts.

To get where we need to go resigning Claxton could mean moving Cam Johnson's contract off of our books.

I also think that keeping both Claxton and Sharpe may not work unless Sharpe wants to resign on the cheap.

We don't have a lot of talented youth so a lot will depend on developing the few young talents that we do have.

Right now I think the following players should stay on the team until we see what we have in them:

Cam Thomas
Dariq Whitehead
Noah Clowney

These guys might be part of the future but I just don't know right now:

Mikal Bridges
Nicolas Claxton
Day'ron Sharpe
Dennis Smith Jr
Lonnie Walker
Trendon Watford
Keita-Bates Diop

These players and their contracts should not be part of our future:

Ben Simmons
Cam Johnson
Dorian FInney-Smith
Dennis Schroeder
drchaos
Rookie

Post#32 » by drchaos » Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:42 pm

3pt_chucker wrote:Getting both KD and Kyrie in free agency was a black swan event(that entire FA for the NBA was). Expecting/Hoping for that again seems like a horrible plan.

I was pleasantly surprised when we landed KD and Kyrie.

Considering the Nets history it was a huge win for us.

With that said I wonder what would have happened if Jimmy Butler came here instead.

Jimmy has been a two way player who excels at both offense and defense while not having many problems with injuries.

His leadership could have done wonders for this team.
drchaos
Rookie

Post#33 » by drchaos » Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:45 pm

Keith Van Horn wrote:not gonna lie, I wanna see Cam Johnson gone. Sorry, I just don't see any sort of consistency with this guy and he seems like your average nba forward. I'd take the discount with DFS... or see what else is out there.

You and me both.

I thought his chemistry with Bridges was a thing but now he Cam seems to be his backup.

He does not seem to be living up to his contract.

Also if we want to have the cap space for two max contracts in 2025, resign Claxton, and keep the cap hold for Cam Thomas we need to move Cam Johnson and DFS to clear cap.
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant

Post#34 » by Keith Van Horn » Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:33 pm

drchaos wrote:
Keith Van Horn wrote:not gonna lie, I wanna see Cam Johnson gone. Sorry, I just don't see any sort of consistency with this guy and he seems like your average nba forward. I'd take the discount with DFS... or see what else is out there.

You and me both.

I thought his chemistry with Bridges was a thing but now he Cam seems to be his backup.

He does not seem to be living up to his contract.

Also if we want to have the cap space for two max contracts in 2025, resign Claxton, and keep the cap hold for Cam Thomas we need to move Cam Johnson and DFS to clear cap.

I think some of these guys are just very miscast right now in their roles.

I think Bridges is the 3rd/4th option on an elite team. and CJ should be a rotational player like one of the first 4 guys off the bench. Problem is he's being paid starter money and giving subpar production.
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant

Post#35 » by Keith Van Horn » Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:37 pm

Cstarski wrote:
Keith Van Horn wrote:

I was actually going to give you an actual response in line with what the poster under you said (black swan via home town ties + friendship in addition to the fact the teams outlook/league perception was 100% different than it is now) but then it dawned on me the complete irony of your first sentence.

That’s my whole damn point… why in the hell is everyone here so allergic to building organically via the draft? For 20 years we had to rely on selling ourselves, that’s the whole damn problem right there.

It’s ironic because the only time we made the finals, well you know. It must be such a coincidence that every team in contention now or have WON a chip in the last 24 years either drafted their best or second best player. Hell of a coincidence….

Building through the draft can work but man, you have to get so lucky. How many lotto picks end up being busts or out of the league in a few years? I mean a guy like Killian Hayes who was the #7 pick a few years ago just got cut. It's pretty tough.
Bird in the hand in worth 2 in the bush...

also, when we made the finals in btb years, it was JKidd's team. He was acquired by trade, not by draft.

I think Marks leaving the door open a bit to a rehaul this summer (via trade, or maybe getting assets on draft day) isn't the worst scenario. I mean it stings like hell right now with this team basically being a bottom 5 team and borderline unwatchable, but I trust there's a plan in place and Marks knows a few things.
Cstarski
Ballboy

Post#36 » by Cstarski » Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:54 pm

Keith Van Horn wrote:
Cstarski wrote:
Keith Van Horn wrote:hey, we all said the same thing for 20 years, why would anyone choose the Nets. Little brother to NYK, "last in attendance", more away fans than home fans, etc etc. And then it happened with KD and Kyrie, who actively chose to be here despite all the despair of the previous 4 seasons. In a flash, we were perennial contenders.

Building through the draft can work but man, you have to get so lucky. How many lotto picks end up being busts or out of the league in a few years? I mean a guy like Killian Hayes who was the #7 pick a few years ago just got cut. It's pretty tough.
Bird in the hand in worth 2 in the bush...

also, when we made the finals in btb years, it was JKidd's team. He was acquired by trade, not by draft.

I think Marks leaving the door open a bit to a rehaul this summer (via trade, or maybe getting assets on draft day) isn't the worst scenario. I mean it stings like hell right now with this team basically being a bottom 5 team and borderline unwatchable, but I trust there's a plan in place and Marks knows a few things.

Unsure why you mentioned Kidd when I specifically claimed that the 1st OR second best player on championship/competitive teams have been drafted.

Also I feel a lot of people who are anti tank (or anti draft in general) put a blinfold on when it comes to teams who have failed to compete via trading for stars, which are (obviously since there is only one winner) many. Chicago currently and SA during Demar/LMA and hell us (twice) who have all failed to win PURLEY via signing/trading established talent.

No way to win a chip has a 100% hit rate, but I definitely do believe in there are commonalities between the top 6 teams in the league. If I was in a position to actual sway the outcome I’d pull the hard figures but even looking at the top 6 teams in the NBA and their two highest scorers over the last few years, eyeballing it, 80%+ always have drafted atleast one of them.

EDIT: to my own fault in assuming - i do want to say if ones goals is to just be “competitive”,I.E making a top 6 standing and maybe a little bit of noise in the playoffs but truly not have a winning shot - the path we are on makes sense.
JKiddy
Bench Warmer
And1: 321

Post#37 » by JKiddy » Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:30 pm

Let's say the rumors are true.

If we have D Mitch, Bridges, Claxton, Cam Thomas + D Sharpe, Lonnie, Whitehead, and Clowney with a few low maintenance high work ethic guys do you see us in the Top 4 in the East?
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#38 » by ecuhus1981 » Fri Mar 1, 2024 3:28 am

vincecarter4pres wrote:We are a top 5 FA destination every summer from now til infinity.

It doesn’t mean we will always land a top 5 overall player every time we have the opportunity, but make no mistake, this is and will continue to be a top landing spot for free agents and stars asking out.

All that said, still wish they just traded Bridges for the picks back.

Being a top FA destination means less now than it has at any point in the last 30 years in the league.

We're going to see fewer and fewer difference making unrestricted free agents hit the market. All you need is one, but I don't like the odds.

I do agree that wantaway stars may desire the NY lifestyle and ask for trades here.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
NetsWorld
Starter
And1: 1,030

Post#39 » by NetsWorld » Fri Mar 1, 2024 1:08 pm

Eatgreenz wrote:
JKiddy wrote:

Already rumors trae could be on the move this summer,pelicans are going to make a choice between ingram and zion, then the mitchell rumors of course. Could an out of nowhere trade demand nobody sees coming untill the actually offseason begins. But Nets are getting somebody loading up on picks and capspace like they know for sure

Man oh man an Ingram/Young pairing here would be awesome. This squad with those two steering the ship would at least win 47-48 games.
3pt_chucker
Head Coach

Post#40 » by 3pt_chucker » Fri Mar 1, 2024 5:28 pm

drchaos wrote:
3pt_chucker wrote:Getting both KD and Kyrie in free agency was a black swan event(that entire FA for the NBA was). Expecting/Hoping for that again seems like a horrible plan.

I was pleasantly surprised when we landed KD and Kyrie.

Considering the Nets history it was a huge win for us.

With that said I wonder what would have happened if Jimmy Butler came here instead.

Jimmy has been a two way player who excels at both offense and defense while not having many problems with injuries.

His leadership could have done wonders for this team.

Sure that would be great in theory but Jimmy is just not a KD guy. This was never an option.

Return to Brooklyn Nets