ImageImageImageImageImage

Pick a direction: Where do you see (or want to see) the Nets go, moving forward?

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,177

Pick a direction: Where do you see (or want to see) the Nets go, moving forward? 

Post#1 » by Keith Van Horn » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:45 pm

Starting a new thread here.

Where do you see the Nets franchise moving forward? Or what do you hope to see going forward?

We were all talking about this pre-trade deadline and were hoping to get some answers based upon Marks' moves. But we only saw a little deal where Royce went out for more picks and swapped Dinwiddie for Schroeder, to ensure we have some level of average PG play for this year and next.

We also did not see the rumored mega deal where Bridges could have been moved to the Rockets for our picks back (was it including swap rights too?) and maybe Jalen Green.

And then post-ASG, we see the nuking of JV and his replacement with Kevin Ollie.

There's also a lot of chatter both here and on Twitter (oh my god, I need to stop arguing with idiots on that app... it's not good for my sanity) about Sean Marks and if he should be given more time as the GM. And then there's the Joseph Tsai chatter too... should he sell.

Considering this season is a wrap and we don't have our 2024 pick, I feel like we're in major "meh" territory now, but it does not feel anywhere near as bad as it did post Deron/KG/PP Nets. Not NEARLY as bad! But since it is what it is now, and maybe we can find some positivity to close the season out, where do you think we're heading??
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant

Re: Pick a direction: Where do you see (or want to see) the Nets head moving forward? 

Post#2 » by Keith Van Horn » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:47 pm

For those who missed it, Zach Lowe's last pod dedicated the entire first portion to the Nets and the state of things. A great listen!

https://dcs.megaphone.fm/ESP1729319484.mp3?key=642ee13b8ce703fd087448513a8a0023&request_event_id=7b43771f-0207-4a4e-8b60-f957cfa2e794

I think Lowe is funky on TV but lowkey love his quirkiness on his podcast. He's so much better there.
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant

Re: Pick a direction: Where do you see (or want to see) the Nets go, moving forward? 

Post#3 » by Keith Van Horn » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:53 pm

I think the 2 big options are obvious:

A) Build with Bridges on the roster. Use the resources we have to see about pulling a Trae Young or Donovan Mitchell. Or maybe wait it out and see about sniping Luka or Giannis. Stay committed to this "half" rebuild and keep moving forward.

B) Tear it down. Trade Mikal this summer and get a trove of picks back, ie call Houston back up and say now or never (like on draft night). Relive the 2016-2019 timeline all over again, keep flexible, and hope lightning strikes us twice and that we don't become Charlotte 2.0. We also still have all those picks from KD/Ky/Harden.

Truth be told... I'm like 50/50 here ^^ I don't know what's in the best interest. I can see a path for both. That's why I said before things aren't nearly as bad as they were post Deron/KG. We have options and it doesn't feel like we're stuck in purgatory.

Is there another path?
Netaman
Analyst
And1: 1,069

Re: Pick a direction: Where do you see (or want to see) the Nets go, moving forward? 

Post#4 » by Netaman » Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:05 pm

Keith Van Horn wrote:I think the 2 big options are obvious:

A) Build with Bridges on the roster. Use the resources we have to see about pulling a Trae Young or Donovan Mitchell. Or maybe wait it out and see about sniping Luka or Giannis. Stay committed to this "half" rebuild and keep moving forward.

B) Tear it down. Trade Mikal this summer and get a trove of picks back, ie call Houston back up and say now or never (like on draft night). Relive the 2016-2019 timeline all over again, keep flexible, and hope lightning strikes us twice and that we don't become Charlotte 2.0. We also still have all those picks from KD/Ky/Harden.

Truth be told... I'm like 50/50 here ^^ I don't know what's in the best interest. I can see a path for both. That's why I said before things aren't nearly as bad as they were post Deron/KG. We have options and it doesn't feel like we're stuck in purgatory.

Is there another path?

I think you have it right here.

My preference is A, if Ollie does a great job rest of season then i guess im ok with him but I'd probably prefer Budenholzer or someone proven like that.

I don't mind B if there's a good enough offer out there but I think that offer has to be more than just the picks back from Houston. There needs to be a 2021 Jarrett Allen type of player in the return for Bridges too. Obviously not an all star but a clear starter on a rookie scale deal in Claxton's age range. I'd prefer a Cam Whitmore type to Jalen Green if we are talking Houston.
NetsWorld
Starter
And1: 1,030

Post#5 » by NetsWorld » Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:49 pm

Is there another path?

If they can do A right, then A.... And that is the path they are pursuing but what the FO does not realize is 2019 is not a guarantee to repeat itself, hence I believe at this point and time, rebuilding would be the best option, so B.I love the Ollie move as interim coach. I already know CT will be starting. CT and Claxton are both untouchable and need to be retained.
Sharcm1
Veteran
And1: 688

Post#6 » by Sharcm1 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:09 pm

Marks is trying to do the same thing he did the first time. Put a young competitive team together that attracts a free agent. Problem is we don’t have the players yet for that
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,248

Post#7 » by Papi_swav » Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:18 pm

Is there another path?

yea I'm torn too, not sure what we should do. There's no real good free agents until 2025 summer so that'll be another year of being trash and wasting prime years for Bridges and others. But then again this years draft is trash as well and we still do have a pick or 2 in 2025. It's either we blow it up or wait to 2025 and hope we hit the lotto.

We can keep building for now, Marks is really good at finding under the radar good players (Dinwiddie, Joe Harris, Bruce Brown). Our roster is not terrible, I feel like we can win some games and maybe hopefully Ollie is the coach we need after going through 3 guys in a few years. We should try to move on from CamJ and his contract, see what value we can get for him. blah
drchaos
Rookie
And1: 409

Post#8 » by drchaos » Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:20 pm

This team might just wait it out for the Donovan Mitchell sweepstakes after next season.

With Simmons becoming an expiring contract this year we should be talking to every team in the league on draft day to see if we can make a trade to help our ball club.
PackAttack9
Senior
And1: 224

Post#9 » by PackAttack9 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:58 am

Have to decide that it's time for B. Teardown this roster and start over. Trade Mikal Bridges for best offer available and don't look back.
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by Keith Van Horn » Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:00 pm

PackAttack9 wrote:Have to decide that it's time for B. Teardown this roster and start over. Trade Mikal Bridges for best offer available and don't look back.

It just looking like if there's not change with ownership or management, this won't be a realistic option.

I think a lot of people want to see Tsai/Marks go, which is debatable, but I believe if that were to happen and you bring in a new management staff, they will 100% go this route and trade Mikal to Houston for picks back and send anyone worth anything packing for expirings and picks to keep major flexibility over the next 2-3 years. Then they just play the draft game and trade for bad contracts game. But I don't think they'll attract any free agents that way. It would be a grim 5 year stretch at least.
Eatgreenz
Senior
And1: 314

Post#11 » by Eatgreenz » Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:05 pm

This latest presser by Marks tells me they got a star or stars coming. Agents might have told the FO their client is looking to be moved. You dont make the moves his making acquiring picks and cap space. If your not 100% certain your getting someone soon like 2025 at the latest. It would plain dumb.
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by Keith Van Horn » Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:50 pm

Eatgreenz wrote:This latest presser by Marks tells me they got a star or stars coming. Agents might have told the FO their client is looking to be moved. You dont make the moves his making acquiring picks and cap space. If your not 100% certain your getting someone soon like 2025 at the latest. It would plain dumb.

I didn't see the presser but heard he mentioned that. It does seem like he knows something we don't, and he's leading us on a bit without giving up key info.
If he can land a bonafide star, like top 12-15 player in the league by summer 2025, without having to give up any assets... I'd be a very, very happy fan.
Netaman
Analyst

Post#13 » by Netaman » Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:31 pm

Keith Van Horn wrote:
Eatgreenz wrote:This latest presser by Marks tells me they got a star or stars coming. Agents might have told the FO their client is looking to be moved. You dont make the moves his making acquiring picks and cap space. If your not 100% certain your getting someone soon like 2025 at the latest. It would plain dumb.

I didn't see the presser but heard he mentioned that. It does seem like he knows something we don't, and he's leading us on a bit without giving up key info.
If he can land a bonafide star, like top 12-15 player in the league by summer 2025, without having to give up any assets... I'd be a very, very happy fan.

Trae Young makes a lot of sense in that considering the cost of acquisition, it's a legitimate risk. There is some justifiable fear in giving up a lot for him.

The Hawks are impossible to predict so I don't have a strong sense that they are going to move him but the rumors are out there and it does seem like they have to move 1 of him/Murray, and nobody seems all that interested in Murray.

Mitchell is preferable to Trae, but whether or not he ends up on market is just as uncertain.

Marks did seem to hint confidence some move is out there and those are 2 good fits that seem more possible than any others. And very good fits for what this roster needs (near-elite closers who can initiate the offense).
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by Keith Van Horn » Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:51 pm

Netaman wrote:
Keith Van Horn wrote:

Trae Young makes a lot of sense in that considering the cost of acquisition, it's a legitimate risk. There is some justifiable fear in giving up a lot for him.

The Hawks are impossible to predict so I don't have a strong sense that they are going to move him but the rumors are out there and it does seem like they have to move 1 of him/Murray, and nobody seems all that interested in Murray.

Mitchell is preferable to Trae, but whether or not he ends up on market is just as uncertain.

Marks did seem to hint confidence some move is out there and those are 2 good fits that seem more possible than any others. And very good fits for what this roster needs (near-elite closers who can initiate the offense).

Who says we can't land both?! :lol: :wink:

1. Make a trade for Trae this summer (Cam Johnson, Schroeder, 2 1sts... or less picks and add Cam Thomas... can that get it done??)
2. Let Ben ride out the season as a bench player, then he can walk come summer 2025
3. Sign Mitchell as a FA in 2025 with the freed up Simmons money.
**New coach (maybe Bud?), Trae and Bridges made some noise in 2024, Mitchell wants to come in as the guy. Bridges now slides into that 2A role he's meant for.
4. I kinda like DFS and he's got a player option in 2025... maybe resign him on a smaller 3 year deal?

My only question for this summer is what's going to happen with Claxton. Signs are pointing to him being resigned.

potentially head into 2025 with
Young / Mitchell / Bridges / DFS / Claxton

Some folks might hate it, but I see that as a high ceiling team with the offense punch of Trae and Mitchell combo.

my other big elephant in the room question is what's going to happen with Cam Thomas. I like him, don't really love him, would like to keep him around at the right price. But what's he going to cost... will he need to be included in a Young deal (might lessen need for picks). Ideally with ^^group he'd be coming off the bench.

This miiiight be one of the better "what if" scenarios if we avoid doing a complete blow up of the team.

LOVE the idea of adding Luka and/or Giannis... but this setup seems more realistic I think.
Netaman
Analyst

Post#15 » by Netaman » Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:01 pm

Keith Van Horn wrote:
Netaman wrote:
Keith Van Horn wrote:I didn't see the presser but heard he mentioned that. It does seem like he knows something we don't, and he's leading us on a bit without giving up key info.

Who says we can't land both?! :lol: :wink:

1. Make a trade for Trae this summer (Cam Johnson, Schroeder, 2 1sts... or less picks and add Cam Thomas... can that get it done??)
2. Let Ben ride out the season as a bench player, then he can walk come summer 2025
3. Sign Mitchell as a FA in 2025 with the freed up Simmons money.
**New coach (maybe Bud?), Trae and Bridges made some noise in 2024, Mitchell wants to come in as the guy. Bridges now slides into that 2A role he's meant for.
4. I kinda like DFS and he's got a player option in 2025... maybe resign him on a smaller 3 year deal?

My only question for this summer is what's going to happen with Claxton. Signs are pointing to him being resigned.

potentially head into 2025 with
Young / Mitchell / Bridges / DFS / Claxton

Some folks might hate it, but I see that as a high ceiling team with the offense punch of Trae and Mitchell combo.

my other big elephant in the room question is what's going to happen with Cam Thomas. I like him, don't really love him, would like to keep him around at the right price. But what's he going to cost... will he need to be included in a Young deal (might lessen need for picks). Ideally with ^^group he'd be coming off the bench.

This miiiight be one of the better "what if" scenarios if we avoid doing a complete blow up of the team.

LOVE the idea of adding Luka and/or Giannis... but this setup seems more realistic I think.

I dont see either of them wanting to go to a situation where they aren't the lead guard. Both of them are in situations like that right now, and depending on how things go for Cleveland this summer, generally both have played their best when the other guard is out of the lineup (and vice versa).

For mitchell especially where he wants to go is going to be a major consideration since he's so close to FA. We know he wants NYK, the biggest question I have is if he'd want to team up with Brunson or if he just prefers a situation where there's no question?

So I think the move for the Nets is check in on Mitchell, and maybe even hold out for him even if it appears Cleveland isn't ready to trade him yet or if they are willing to hold him and let him test FA. That may cost them their shot at Trae though, so I think that's a decision they need to balance out.

either way i think the move is adding 1 of those guys to Bridges, Clax, CamJ to get to the 45-50 win level, ideally this Summer, then hunting for 1 more star on top of that from the 2025 deadline on. Probably a wing.
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by Keith Van Horn » Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:38 pm

I think Mitchell is a top 10-15 player in the league right now, fwiw. If you get him, you can build around him. And we'll already have pieces in place for his arrival, and more importantly, the flexibility once Simmons is off the books. I think he would come and be heavily motivated playing in NY. It would be a fun rivalry v. the Knicks. And the timing would be perfect considering us not having our own picks for a few more years and wanting to be competitive now.

Young is still legit, despite some of his criticism. I know he's a bit of a wildcard, but he can put up crazy numbers on any given night. Surround him with guys like Bridges and Claxton and he's not as liable on defense. (but still leaves a lot to be desired). He can 1A or 1B it with Mitchell here. I'd say he's a top 25-30 player. foot note... and not that I care too much, but Mitchell AND him would add some real spice to the BK v Knicks rivalry too.

And of course keeping Bridges here, he'd be in the role that he's meant for. He can be more of the balanced glue guy that he really is. I think we're all aware he's not going to be the best player on any championship team. But he's a guy everyone would love to play with.

I think this would be a fun group of guys with more dynamic playmakers and a balanced defense.
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant

Post#17 » by Keith Van Horn » Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:40 pm

not gonna lie, I wanna see Cam Johnson gone. Sorry, I just don't see any sort of consistency with this guy and he seems like your average nba forward. I'd take the discount with DFS... or see what else is out there.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#18 » by ecuhus1981 » Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:08 am

Good topic, it seems our front office is unwilling to pick a consistent direction for us.

We have hitched our wagon to the Twins. We also plan to keep Nic, which on its surface doesn't seem nice a bad core. The problem is, these 3 do not complement each other, in fact their combination robs is of some 2-way effectiveness. Claxton is the best switching big in the league, but Bridges and especially Johnson stink in the switch-all-screens system that best suits Clax.

My direction is, go with the younger, homegrown part of your core. Re-sign Nic Claxton, and target other young wings and guards who thrive defensively without an old school C clogging the paint. Trade the Twins, shed salary and embrace a rebuild wholeheartedly.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
NetsJets
Starter
And1: 659

Post#19 » by NetsJets » Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:11 pm

The best move is to see if we can land Donovan Mitchell in the offseason. If we can get him then that may open things up for other players to want to come here. Next up, hopefully Tsai learns from the KD/Kyrie/Harden era and NOT meddle.
Cstarski
Ballboy
And1: 4

Post#20 » by Cstarski » Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:55 pm

During the off season I wanted us to move Mikal for the #3 pick/sharpe or our picks…

If that HOU rumor is true and we didn’t take it I’m just sooo **** close to say screw this team. Look at HOW the roster was constructed for all the top teams… all drafted there best 1/2 players except clippers. All the teams who have won chips, drafted.

Here we are, a teenager today hasn’t seen us have a top pick since they have been alive.

Murray? Trae?? Mitchel???

Do we get better with these players? Sure (which isn’t saying much) do I think we are a true threat to win a chip? Hell nah.

Return to Brooklyn Nets