ImageImageImageImageImage

What was the point of firing Vaughn?

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

Netaman
Analyst
And1: 1,069

Re: What was the point of firing Vaughn? 

Post#21 » by Netaman » Thu Apr 4, 2024 3:55 am

Lets also not forget Marks first choice post-Nash was Udoka, who would have been perfect. My guess is Tsai ultimately made the call there but that was the move.
Netaman
Analyst

Post#22 » by Netaman » Thu Apr 4, 2024 4:05 am

vincecarter4pres wrote:Like would a combo of Trae Young, Lauri Markkanen and Bridges with a supporting cast of athleticism, shooting and depth be good? Sure, but me personally, would still rather blow it up then go that specific route.

At minimum it needs to be Mitchell and another guy of Bridges/Markkanen’s caliber while retaining some youth and flexibility, or it’s like why? :dontknow:

it's a great question. the best answer i can come up with is that tactically it is better to be where the heat/knicks are, semi-competing while hunting a final piece, than just outright praying for ping pong balls.

but what do knicks/heat have? strong head coaches who are able to get their teams to play a certain way.

so i think the 2 boxes marks needs to check this summer are finding the right head coach (budenholzer?) and the right lead guard (mitchell? trae? ja?).

i think those are achievable objectives while retaining a decent chunk of assets for a future trade for another star (whom they will likely to need to be selective, waiting for the right piece).
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#23 » by vincecarter4pres » Fri Apr 5, 2024 12:21 am

Netaman wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:Like would a combo of Trae Young, Lauri Markkanen and Bridges with a supporting cast of athleticism, shooting and depth be good? Sure, but me personally, would still rather blow it up then go that specific route.

At minimum it needs to be Mitchell and another guy of Bridges/Markkanen’s caliber while retaining some youth and flexibility, or it’s like why? :dontknow:

it's a great question. the best answer i can come up with is that tactically it is better to be where the heat/knicks are, semi-competing while hunting a final piece, than just outright praying for ping pong balls.

but what do knicks/heat have? strong head coaches who are able to get their teams to play a certain way.

so i think the 2 boxes marks needs to check this summer are finding the right head coach (budenholzer?) and the right lead guard (mitchell? trae? ja?).

i think those are achievable objectives while retaining a decent chunk of assets for a future trade for another star (whom they will likely to need to be selective, waiting for the right piece).

For sure. Let’s just hope things go well.

They might even just make a medium move if one is there for a guy like Murray or Giddey, you obviously can’t force other teams to trade their stars, even if it’s obvious they need to.

I’d keep an eye on PG13 as well depending how other moves go and how re-signing talks between him and the Clippers go.

If Marks somehow gets a guy like Ja and has to give up a majority of the assets for him, a S&T for George with Simmons as the main salary filler and maybe the Sixers pick and a protected future pick maybe gets it done.

Ja
Bridges
MLE FA
George
Clax

Is a pretty deadly starting 5

Hopefully still have Schröder, Sharpe, Clowney, Watford and maybe Whitehead on the bench and a couple minimum vets.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Eatgreenz
Senior
And1: 314

Post#24 » by Eatgreenz » Fri Apr 5, 2024 5:22 pm

Read on Twitter
Netaman
Analyst

Post#25 » by Netaman » Mon Apr 8, 2024 8:19 pm

Eatgreenz wrote:
Read on Twitter

this is the obvious piece. Mitchell has always made a ton of sense. Nets have lots of salary filler that can make it work too. I'm sure Nets would be thrilled to build a package around Cam J / Schroder and picks. Nets could also give CLE a piece like DFS, or CamT if they want him (or another team). Lots of combinations that can make it work.

holding out potential trade pieces, if they are starting the offseason core with some combo of:

Mitchell
Bridges
Clax
Clowney
Sharpe
Wilson
Watford (RFA)
Whitehead

that would leave a lot of cap room to maneuver. that group would be right around $100m with the luxury tax line at 172m.

trade pieces =

Ben (40m expiring)
Cam J (23m*3)
DFS (15m)
Schroder (13m)
CamT (4m)
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#26 » by vincecarter4pres » Mon Apr 8, 2024 8:33 pm

Netaman wrote:
Eatgreenz wrote:
Read on Twitter

this is the obvious piece. Mitchell has always made a ton of sense. Nets have lots of salary filler that can make it work too. I'm sure Nets would be thrilled to build a package around Cam J / Schroder and picks. Nets could also give CLE a piece like DFS, or CamT if they want him (or another team). Lots of combinations that can make it work.

holding out potential trade pieces, if they are starting the offseason core with some combo of:

Mitchell
Bridges
Clax
Clowney
Sharpe
Wilson
Watford (RFA)
Whitehead

that would leave a lot of cap room to maneuver. that group would be right around $100m with the luxury tax line at 172m.

trade pieces =

Ben (40m expiring)
Cam J (23m*3)
DFS (15m)
Schroder (13m)
CamT (4m)

It’s almost impossible while holding Clax, but have to wonder if the end game goal is Mitchell/Giannis/Bridges?
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Netaman
Analyst

Post#27 » by Netaman » Mon Apr 8, 2024 9:07 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:It’s almost impossible while holding Clax, but have to wonder if the end game goal is Mitchell/Giannis/Bridges?

i think there is probably a list of like 10 guys who could be the end game, im not sure they have any higher probability than the rest.

i think you posted KD in another thread, for all the talk of the nets getting picks back from houston, i agree with you that KD at the deadline in return for whatever PHO picks the nets have left is something that could end up in play if PHO sucks again. PG3 could be in a similar spot if LAC arent playing well next year.

Mitchell - Bridges - KD - Clax and a solid group of filler players would be really interesting. Probably only get a 1-2 year run with KD but then maybe you hope to swap him for a future FA.
Netaman
Analyst

Post#28 » by Netaman » Mon Apr 8, 2024 10:10 pm

Netaman wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:It’s almost impossible while holding Clax, but have to wonder if the end game goal is Mitchell/Giannis/Bridges?

i think there is probably a list of like 10 guys who could be the end game, im not sure they have any higher probability than the rest.

i think you posted KD in another thread, for all the talk of the nets getting picks back from houston, i agree with you that KD at the deadline in return for whatever PHO picks the nets have left is something that could end up in play if PHO sucks again. PG3 could be in a similar spot if LAC arent playing well next year.

Mitchell - Bridges - KD - Clax and a solid group of filler players would be really interesting. Probably only get a 1-2 year run with KD but then maybe you hope to swap him for a future FA.

building on this, how's this for a 2-step.

Offseason:
- Mitchell for CamT ($4m), CamJ ($23.6m), PHO25, PHO27, pick swap 28 or 29
- extend Clax
- bring back DSJ/Walker

In-season:
- KD for Simmons expiring, PHO29, cancel 28 pick swap, PHI27, maybe 1 of the young guys on rookie scale deal or a bunch of 2nds?

Post-deadline Roster
Mitchell / Schroder / DSJ
Bridges / Walker / Whitehead
KD / Wilson
DFS / Clowney / Watford
Clax / Sharpe

could probably use another 3&D wing who can shoot (royce lol?), but I have to say the funniest outcome of all this craziness would be KD back in Brooklyn with picks/contracts from the Harden/Sixers trade and KD/Phoenix trade.

and Nets still owning the Mavs unprotected 2029 from Kyrie.

Return to Brooklyn Nets