Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Official ‘24-25 Off-season Thread 

Post#1 » by vincecarter4pres » Fri Apr 5, 2024 9:21 pm

Read on Twitter

Discuss.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Re: Official ‘24-25 Off-season Thread 

Post#2 » by vincecarter4pres » Fri Apr 5, 2024 9:59 pm

Mitchell
Bridges
MLE FA
KD
Clax

Schröder
Watford
Sharpe
Clowney
Minimum FA
Wilson

Les goooo! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Stone
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,467

Post#3 » by Stone » Fri Apr 5, 2024 11:07 pm

Can we get some clarification on where we are at with the cap, the luxury tax and the aprons?

We might want to update the draft picks thread and post it here also.

Chuck S, I know you are knowledgeable with the salary stuff. I know you are to VC, but you do enough heavy lifting on here...lol

But whoever posts it, it is appreciated.
The man who sleeps on the floor can never fall out of bed........Martin Lawrence
MaxZaslofskyJr
Rookie
And1: 669
Location: Teaneck, Long Island, Piscataway, Meadowlands, Newark, Brooklyn

Post#4 » by MaxZaslofskyJr » Fri Apr 5, 2024 11:30 pm

I predict the off-season will be great since we won't have to watch the Nets.
Les Selvage pioneered today's "modern basketball" in 1967.
Eatgreenz
Senior
And1: 314

Post#5 » by Eatgreenz » Sat Apr 6, 2024 1:27 am

really interested who we bring as the new coach. Would love to get our version of Spo. 10+ yr high level coaching
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#6 » by vincecarter4pres » Sat Apr 6, 2024 2:07 am

Eatgreenz wrote:really interested who we bring as the new coach. Would love to get our version of Spo. 10+ yr high level coaching

Read on Twitter
ChuckS
Bench Warmer
And1: 213

Post#7 » by ChuckS » Sun Apr 7, 2024 4:02 am

Stone wrote:Can we get some clarification on where we are at with the cap, the luxury tax and the aprons?

Chuck S, I know you are knowledgeable with the salary stuff...

Thanks for the props and my apology in advance for, with this post, making you look so wrong.

I did my best, but it made my head hurt. So I'm open to any corrections. I believe we will end this year over the cap by about $17 mil, but under Level 1 by about $12.3 mil. But because of Marks we will begin next year under the cap by $3.5 mil, about 32.7 mil from Level 1 luxury tax (before filling the roster), and another 17.5 mil from the 2d level. This is because we will only have 10 players under contract, and the savings from trading Spence and Royce. They are making slightly over $2 mil each, so salaries will increase if, and by how much, Walker, Watford, and DFS, are re-signed -- and/or whatever else it takes to fill the roster. I wanted Murray, but thought that Marks getting Schroder instead saved $8 mil by cutting Thad while picking up another good player and expiring contract. He saved another $4 mill by also cutting Giles and Goodwin.

It seems a certainty that we will stay out of the Luxury tax this year, and any improvement will be accomplished by trades. What I cannot guess is how much it will take to keep Nic, which I would prefer. We have moved to be able to offer a substantial salary increase, but if my math is right we cannot equal the total amount we are under the luxury tax or will be left with only ten players and no way else to fill out the roster. Once that is determined we can look forward to how to improve the talent level.
Karate Diop
General Manager
And1: 9,844

Post#8 » by Karate Diop » Sun Apr 7, 2024 8:57 am

vincecarter4pres wrote:
Eatgreenz wrote:really interested who we bring as the new coach. Would love to get our version of Spo. 10+ yr high level coaching

Read on Twitter

I actually think Bud would be a great get. The team needs someone who will demand discipline and shape good habits.

I wouldn't be excited to see how he meshes with Cam Thomas but, at this point I don't even know if Cam Thomas is really part of the long term core...
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#9 » by vincecarter4pres » Sun Apr 7, 2024 1:20 pm

Karate Diop wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:

Read on Twitter

I actually think Bud would be a great get. The team needs someone who will demand discipline and shape good habits.

I wouldn't be excited to see how he meshes with Cam Thomas but, at this point I don't even know if Cam Thomas is really part of the long term core...

There was another recent tweet that had an additional couple coaching prospects as well. It was Bud and a different two relatively unknown guys.

Unsure how to feel about Borrego. He kind of got a raw deal in Charlotte with unwarranted lofty expectations set and got the axe quick. Don’t remember all the details, nor the positives or critiques of his style.

Don’t know much about Bryant’s style or personality either, but his resume, the coaching trees he’s stemmed from, and rapid promotions awarded him under those two highly touted guys is quite exciting to say the least. Also wouldn’t hurt to steal a Knicks guy lol. And he’s young, so much room for growth and longevity, which is rare in this area of the business.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#10 » by vincecarter4pres » Mon Apr 8, 2024 2:07 am

If a Mitchell trade actually happens in the offseason, what do we really think it looks like?

Imagining something like:

Cam Thomas
Jalen Wilson
DFS
Ben Simmons
‘25 Brooklyn/Houston 1st - Worse of
‘27 Philly 1st(top 8 protected through ‘28, then 2nd)
‘27 Phoenix 1st
‘29 Phoenix/Dallas/Brooklyn 1st - Best of
2 2nds

For

Donovan Mitchell
Caris LeVert
Dean Wade or Georges Niang

Can also see it being the above but with these changes:

‘25 Brooklyn/Houston/Phoenix 1st - Best of
‘29 Brooklyn/Dallas/Phoenix 1st - Middle one
Netaman
Analyst
And1: 1,069

Post#11 » by Netaman » Mon Apr 8, 2024 8:41 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:If a Mitchell trade actually happens in the offseason, what do we really think it looks like?

Imagining something like:

Cam Thomas
Jalen Wilson
DFS
Ben Simmons
‘25 Brooklyn/Houston 1st - Worse of
‘27 Philly 1st(top 8 protected through ‘28, then 2nd)
‘27 Phoenix 1st
‘29 Phoenix/Dallas/Brooklyn 1st - Best of
2 2nds

For

Donovan Mitchell
Caris LeVert
Dean Wade or Georges Niang

Can also see it being the above but with these changes:

‘25 Brooklyn/Houston/Phoenix 1st - Best of
‘29 Brooklyn/Dallas/Phoenix 1st - Middle one

My guess:

pick 1 vet 3&D - DFS or CamJ
pick 1 rookie scale - Jalen or Clowney or CamT
2 unprotected FRPs, 1 swap, 1 regular FRP (-1 if it's CamT)
salary filler as necessary (probably Schroder)

they gave Utah 3 unprotected firsts and 2 swaps so I'm revising the FRPs down to 2 unprotected then 2 filler picks/swaps for 4 total instead of 5 since there's only 1 year of control.

I dont know how they value CamT/his fit with their roster, he is the closest comp to Markanen the Nets have to what he was then pre-all star leap. clowney or wilson are younger with more rookie scale years left and they could find either one more appealing. possible the nets refuse to deal 1 of them or have a strong preference.

i think almost all the net veteran salary filler players hold more value than sexton had at the time (he was an RFA so they could have easily lost him for no return or a minimal S&T).

on a net basis i view that the price of their 1 year with mitchell cost them 1 unprotected pick they didn't return, plus a swap, plus the difference between lauri markanen entering his age 25 and cam thomas entering his age 23 (or clowney entering his age 20, or wilson entering his age 23).
Dangun
Pro Prospect
And1: 263

Post#12 » by Dangun » Mon Apr 8, 2024 11:15 pm

Are we doing the trade CamT again
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#13 » by vincecarter4pres » Tue Apr 9, 2024 5:55 am

Dangun wrote:Are we doing the trade CamT again

Dangun
Pro Prospect
And1: 263

Post#14 » by Dangun » Tue Apr 9, 2024 8:46 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:
Dangun wrote:Are we doing the trade CamT again

Eatgreenz
Senior

Post#15 » by Eatgreenz » Tue Apr 9, 2024 9:05 pm

Read on Twitter
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#16 » by vincecarter4pres » Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:50 pm

Have to wonder if they’ll look to S&T Clax if we land Mitchell or Trae on draft night, move forward with a Sharpe/Clowney combo?

In the summer of ‘25 have only something like the following on the books:

Mitchell $53.1 cap hold
Bridges $24.9 cap hold
Sharpe $12 cap hold
Clowney $3.4

Wilson $2.2

And/Or

Whitehead $3.3

‘25 Phoenix or ‘25 Brooklyn/Houston cap hold
We’ll call it $3.7

6 minimum roster charge cap holds $7.7

$107 mill with Wilson under a projected $171 mill cap.

Leaving $64 million in cap space.

Max FA would be $59.9 mill, but eliminates a cap hold upon signing of $1.3 mill.

Max FA signed leaving $5.4 mill plus another eliminated cap hold, so essentially $6.5 to sign another FA.

Then have to actually sign Mitchell to $59.9, say Sharpe gets $16 mill.

Now above the cap by $10.8.

Luxury tax will probably start around $190 mill, so we can instead of a $6.4 mill FA probably sneak in a full non-Taxpayer’s MLE signing.

Keeping Clax and letting Sharpe go should work as well.

Edit: Clax makes it too tight to sign an actual max FA in all likelihood by about $5-7 mill in starting salary.

Interesting.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#17 » by vincecarter4pres » Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:28 pm

Now hear me out, this is going to be a bit long… :lol:

This summer is probably the one to get all NBA 2K with the trades and Marks working some magic and manipulating the cap to our advantage.

A series of trades, followed by signings and re-signings.

Trade 1
Brooklyn sends:
Cam Thomas
Cam Johnson
Day’ron Sharpe
Dariq Whitehead
Bunch of 1st round picks
Bunch of 2nd round picks

Cleveland sends:
Donovan Mitchell

Would love to see this expanded with a DFS for Caris swap, don’t know Cleveland would be amendable.

Sadly, can definitely see Dariq Whitehead as a Cleveland demand/requirement here.

I don’t think we need to go into this too much. If Spida won’t commit to the Cavs, very good chance they move him ASAP. In that scenario he will have a short list, we are rumored to be atop said preferences, and even dealing only half the first round draft picks at our disposal and including only a couple young guys, we should have far and away the healthiest offer out of any realistic destinations.

Same thoughts as the follow up trade, if Cleveland wants to remain a contender, they can divert some or all of the picks, prospects and players, even add some of their own, to attempt landing a star to add to Garland and Allen and/or Mobley.

Yes there is certainly their own pick equity from the original acquisition of Donny from Utah hanging over their heads if they remain put with a direct trade with Brooklyn(or any of the offers they get from teams on his list), but almost literally ever important core player on their roster is 26 or younger, extended at a super fair number, or will be restricted when they hit free agency.

Their time is not only now, it’s the future as well, especially if they can remain in that 38-48 win range post trade, yet still have some combination of PHO/DAL/PHI/CLE picks coming in spread over years. They can take a swing at the next big name out there in a year or two through trade, or hope those picks wind-up lotto, and draft a kid they love for the long term as a cornerstone piece.

Trade #2
Brooklyn sends:
Dennis Schröder or DFS
Jalen Wilson
Ben Simmons
Bunch of 1st round picks
Bunch of 2nd round picks

Minnesota sends:
KAT
Mike Conley

Rumors are there will be salary cutting and attempts to change up the fit with KAT and Gobert. If this deal went down, methinks they want Schröder if Conley is outgoing. This opens things up for them significantly going forward, cap and tax-wise, while getting them an asset rich return, a play-from-day-one young guy with a starter level ceiling, and a starting level point guard who they can try and re-sign summer of ‘25, or take even further salary savings letting him walk.

They want to remain in contention, like Cleveland, which they are damn close to with KAT out of the lineup as is, but this could very likely open up to a three or four team deal as well, with all or some of the picks going elsewhere for a player they covet.

Regardless this opens up enormous flexibility for the Wolves and their tumultuous ownership and cap situation, while bringing back proper assets, for a player who brings polarizing opinions on his value, and more importantly, on court impact.

This is mainly due to his needing to be a center on both offense and defense to cause proper mismatches, but not anchoring a defense like a center should. He’s hard to simultaneously take advantage of his offensive prowess, but pair him with another front court big that not only helps mask his defensive deficiencies, but allows his team as a whole to have a top level defense. Enter Nic Claxton.

Re-signing Clax
After these two trades we’re left with the following cap numbers:

Donovan Mitchell - $35.4
KAT - $49.3
Mike Conley Jr - $10
Mikal Bridges - $23.3
DFS - $15
Clowney - $3.2
Whitehead - $3.2
Claxton’s cap hold - $16.6
Empty cap holds - $4.6

$160.6 million total.

Assuming one FA signed removes a cap hold, essentially $159.4 million.

Estimated luxury tax should start around $175 iirc.

You can use the full Non-taxpayer’s MLE as long as you didn’t dip below the cap, nor will go above the first apron after all signings in the summer.

Even if Clax full salary and not his cap hold is instituted, he would probably start around $24 mill with full escalations, probably a 5 year deal where his agent negotiates a ETO in year 4 or 5.

That would put us at $167 mill.

MLE is about $13 mill starting and tax apron will be at least in the mid $180’s.

These numbers are with Whitehead still on the roster. Chances are he’ll be Cleveland bound, making it even easier to re-sign Clax and still have the full MLE at our disposal. In fact, depending on the tax and first apron, possibly even able to use the Bi-Annual exception as well, or hold Walker or Watford and re-sign one of them.

MLE Targets:

These players are likely the type available for that type of coin. Feel free to add anybody interesting I’m forgetting:

Tobias Harris
Buddy Hield
Bruce Brown
Gary Trent Jr
Kentavious Caldwell-Pope
Jonas Valanciunas
Malik Beasley
Royce O’Neale
Malik Monk
Luke Kennard
PJ Tucker
Eric Gordon
Grayson Allen
Obi Toppin
Kevin Love
Derrick Jones Jr
Spencer Dinwiddie
Tyus Jones
Moritz Wagner
Talen Horton-Tucker
Alec Burks

Lots of options.

Then a vet min ring chaser or two, and a patented Nets scouting department G League or overseas minimum pickup.

Things could be really interesting.
Eatgreenz
Senior

Post#18 » by Eatgreenz » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:54 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:Now hear me out, this is going to be a bit long… :lol:

This summer is probably the one to get all NBA 2K with the trades and Marks working some magic and manipulating the cap to our advantage.

A series of trades, followed by signings and re-signings.

Trade 1
Brooklyn sends:
Cam Thomas
Cam Johnson
Day’ron Sharpe
Dariq Whitehead
Bunch of 1st round picks
Bunch of 2nd round picks

Cleveland sends:
Donovan Mitchell

Would love to see this expanded with a DFS for Caris swap, don’t know Cleveland would be amendable.

Sadly, can definitely see Dariq Whitehead as a Cleveland demand/requirement here.

I don’t think we need to go into this too much. If Spida won’t commit to the Cavs, very good chance they move him ASAP. In that scenario he will have a short list, we are rumored to be atop said preferences, and even dealing only half the first round draft picks at our disposal and including only a couple young guys, we should have far and away the healthiest offer out of any realistic destinations.

Same thoughts as the follow up trade, if Cleveland wants to remain a contender, they can divert some or all of the picks, prospects and players, even add some of their own, to attempt landing a star to add to Garland and Allen and/or Mobley.

Yes there is certainly their own pick equity from the original acquisition of Donny from Utah hanging over their heads if they remain put with a direct trade with Brooklyn(or any of the offers they get from teams on his list), but almost literally ever important core player on their roster is 26 or younger, extended at a super fair number, or will be restricted when they hit free agency.

Their time is not only now, it’s the future as well, especially if they can remain in that 38-48 win range post trade, yet still have some combination of PHO/DAL/PHI/CLE picks coming in spread over years. They can take a swing at the next big name out there in a year or two through trade, or hope those picks wind-up lotto, and draft a kid they love for the long term as a cornerstone piece.

Trade #2
Brooklyn sends:
Dennis Schröder or DFS
Jalen Wilson
Ben Simmons
Bunch of 1st round picks
Bunch of 2nd round picks

Minnesota sends:
KAT
Mike Conley

Rumors are there will be salary cutting and attempts to change up the fit with KAT and Gobert. If this deal went down, methinks they want Schröder if Conley is outgoing. This opens things up for them significantly going forward, cap and tax-wise, while getting them an asset rich return, a play-from-day-one young guy with a starter level ceiling, and a starting level point guard who they can try and re-sign summer of ‘25, or take even further salary savings letting him walk.

They want to remain in contention, like Cleveland, which they are damn close to with KAT out of the lineup as is, but this could very likely open up to a three or four team deal as well, with all or some of the picks going elsewhere for a player they covet.

Regardless this opens up enormous flexibility for the Wolves and their tumultuous ownership and cap situation, while bringing back proper assets, for a player who brings polarizing opinions on his value, and more importantly, on court impact.

This is mainly due to his needing to be a center on both offense and defense to cause proper mismatches, but not anchoring a defense like a center should. He’s hard to simultaneously take advantage of his offensive prowess, but pair him with another front court big that not only helps mask his defensive deficiencies, but allows his team as a whole to have a top level defense. Enter Nic Claxton.

Re-signing Clax
After these two trades we’re left with the following cap numbers:

Donovan Mitchell - $35.4
KAT - $49.3
Mike Conley Jr - $10
Mikal Bridges - $23.3
DFS - $15
Clowney - $3.2
Whitehead - $3.2
Claxton’s cap hold - $16.6
Empty cap holds - $4.6

$160.6 million total.

Assuming one FA signed removes a cap hold, essentially $159.4 million.

Estimated luxury tax should start around $175 iirc.

You can use the full Non-taxpayer’s MLE as long as you didn’t dip below the cap, nor will go above the first apron after all signings in the summer.

Even if Clax full salary and not his cap hold is instituted, he would probably start around $24 mill with full escalations, probably a 5 year deal where his agent negotiates a ETO in year 4 or 5.

That would put us at $167 mill.

MLE is about $13 mill starting and tax apron will be at least in the mid $180’s.

These numbers are with Whitehead still on the roster. Chances are he’ll be Cleveland bound, making it even easier to re-sign Clax and still have the full MLE at our disposal. In fact, depending on the tax and first apron, possibly even able to use the Bi-Annual exception as well, or hold Walker or Watford and re-sign one of them.

MLE Targets:

These players are likely the type available for that type of coin. Feel free to add anybody interesting I’m forgetting:

Tobias Harris
Buddy Hield
Bruce Brown
Gary Trent Jr
Kentavious Caldwell-Pope
Jonas Valanciunas
Malik Beasley
Royce O’Neale
Malik Monk
Luke Kennard
PJ Tucker
Eric Gordon
Grayson Allen
Obi Toppin
Kevin Love
Derrick Jones Jr
Spencer Dinwiddie
Tyus Jones
Moritz Wagner
Talen Horton-Tucker
Alec Burks

Lots of options.

Then a vet min ring chaser or two, and a patented Nets scouting department G League or overseas minimum pickup.

Things could be really interesting.

I like it something like this could definitely happen. Would like to keep schroder and dariq. But regardless i feel 90% sure we getting one star this off-season. Other than the rumored guys expected to move trae, spida, etc. We will get some playoff flamouts and couple more guys wanting to move.
Eatgreenz
Senior

Post#19 » by Eatgreenz » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:46 pm

This is why some of us never worried about 1 lost season. The summer is setting up nicely
Read on Twitter
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#20 » by vincecarter4pres » Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:22 am

Eatgreenz wrote:This is why some of us never worried about 1 lost season. The summer is setting up nicely
Read on Twitter

Call me crazy, would still prefer they keep all the picks and trade Bridges to Houston for the picks back, assuming that was the real offer.

But back in NetsWorld reality, it will still be exciting if it happens.

Return to Brooklyn Nets