ImageImageImageImageImage

Official ‘24-25 Off-season Thread

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Re: Official ‘24-25 Off-season Thread 

Post#41 » by vincecarter4pres » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:12 am

Didn’t love the tone in a lot of those Clax clips from the exit interviews.

Starting to think he’s gone.

Some team might get crazy and almost max him.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#42 » by vincecarter4pres » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:37 am

Read on Twitter
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Netaman
Analyst
And1: 1,069

Post#43 » by Netaman » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:56 am

vincecarter4pres wrote:Didn’t love the tone in a lot of those Clax clips from the exit interviews.

not a ton of cap space out there. dont see nets losing him for nothing, but gotta say it feels like there's about to be some big changes this summer. the fact that we thought that and it didnt happen last summer, i think makes it more likely to happen this summer (not less likely).
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#44 » by vincecarter4pres » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:06 am

Netaman wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:Didn’t love the tone in a lot of those Clax clips from the exit interviews.

not a ton of cap space out there. dont see nets losing him for nothing, but gotta say it feels like there's about to be some big changes this summer. the fact that we thought that and it didnt happen last summer, i think makes it more likely to happen this summer (not less likely).

If the Nets trade Bridges and it’s not to Houston, likely it’s for a young kid whose already halfway arrived, but has a chance to explode. Maybe one draft pick thrown in as well.

Some possibilities could be:

Bennedict Mathurin
Keegan Murray
Trey Murphy III
Jalen Suggs
Jonathan Kuminga

Or if it were a rarer player for player swap:

Darius Garland(ironically)
Dejounte Murray
Netaman
Analyst

Post#45 » by Netaman » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:53 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:
Netaman wrote:

If the Nets trade Bridges and it’s not to Houston, likely it’s for a young kid whose already halfway arrived, but has a chance to explode. Maybe one draft pick thrown in as well.

Some possibilities could be:

Bennedict Mathurin
Keegan Murray
Trey Murphy III
Jalen Suggs
Jonathan Kuminga

Or if it were a rarer player for player swap:

Darius Garland(ironically)
Dejounte Murray

it's possible - my gut tells me they still keep bridges because of the culture fit, but i could see it either way. marks has been willing to rip bandaids before when the right offers were there.
Stone
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,468

Post#46 » by Stone » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:29 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:
Read on Twitter

This is looking more and more like a slow rebuild. I could see us moving Bridges at the deadline, showcase him to bring up the value. Would probably get more for him than instead of the offseason?

Any details on the contract years wise?

Not really sure what to expect of the new HC. Of course the homer in me is holding out hope he is the next Spo... :D

Marks must have seen something he really liked in Fernandez to pull the trigger. I know NBA coaches have a short shelf life but I would love to be one of those teams with a long term HC. We all know it is not an easy job.
The man who sleeps on the floor can never fall out of bed........Martin Lawrence
NetsJets
Starter
And1: 659

Post#47 » by NetsJets » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:12 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:Y’all are wilding with the point guard talk on Cam as an actual idea long term, or even just for one season.

He has certainly made improvements, but his assists still come off of reactionary plays as a last resort, he still ball stops, and he still can’t run an offense for more then some random plays.

More encouraging is he seems to be getting better off ball.

His defense is just awful overall as well imho, which is a bit scary because he is actually giving much better effort.

Even in the Knicks game I thought he took an immense amount of questionable shots and got us deep into the shot clock far too often when he was running point.

I was watching that Knicks game thinking if Mitchell was there in place of Cam, the Knicks never would have come all the way back.

Again, I’m not saying he won’t keep improving, and I’m not saying he won’t become a good player, but if you’re planning on building around him, I want that GM fired, unless it’s because you have literally no choice. If you’re building with him, I believe that a tall task if he’s a starter.

Harden? Are we really saying Harden? Harden is an MVP, a literal all time great, a one man offense, who has learned to become just a big cog in a star studded one.

Even if Cam peaks, the chances he even becomes a top 30 player any given year is super slim.

Did you miss what i said lol? I said we should bring in a play maker at the 3 to essentially be the point guard. What Ben Simmons should have been for us but he’s scared to play basketball.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#48 » by vincecarter4pres » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:18 pm

NetsJets wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:Y’all are wilding with the point guard talk on Cam as an actual idea long term, or even just for one season.

He has certainly made improvements, but his assists still come off of reactionary plays as a last resort, he still ball stops, and he still can’t run an offense for more then some random plays.

His defense is just awful overall as well imho, which is a bit scary because he is actually giving much better effort.

Even in the Knicks game I thought he took an immense amount of questionable shots and got us deep into the shot clock far too often when he was running point.

I was watching that Knicks game thinking if Mitchell was there in place of Cam, the Knicks never would have come all the way back.

Again, I’m not saying he won’t keep improving, and I’m not saying he won’t become a good player, but if you’re planning on building around him, I want that GM fired, unless it’s because you have literally no choice. If you’re building with him, I believe that a tall task if he’s a starter.

Harden? Are we really saying Harden? Harden is an MVP, a literal all time great, a one man offense, who has learned to become just a big cog in a star studded one.

Even if Cam peaks, the chances he even becomes a top 30 player any given year is super slim.

Did you miss what i said lol? I said we should bring in a play maker at the 3 to essentially be the point guard. What Ben Simmons should have been for us but he’s scared to play basketball.

Maybe like a Josh Giddey, but my point still stands, some of you guys overrate what Cam will likely become imho.
3pt_chucker
Head Coach
And1: 2,002

Post#49 » by 3pt_chucker » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:43 pm

Not disagreeing with you fully but just wanted to point out that Warford was playing PG most of that game and in that 3Q things were going south once Knix pressed him as the ball handler. Turnovers piled up. Nets got back into the game in the 4Q because Cam started initiating the offense more.

I don't see Cam as PG either but that Knicks point you made feels like bias from your opinion and not what was actually happening.
NetsJets
Starter

Post#50 » by NetsJets » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:52 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:
NetsJets wrote:

Maybe like a Josh Giddey, but my point still stands, some of you guys overrate what Cam will likely become imho.

Is Giddey a playmaker like that? I’ve actually been critical of Cam at times. However I can’t act like Cam didn’t make any strides this year. I’m not acting like he’s the next biggest thing either.
Eatgreenz
Senior
And1: 314

Post#51 » by Eatgreenz » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:12 pm

100% agree CamT gets way to hyped somebody called him a blue chip prospect on twitter smh. Even with all his improvements he still look like a sg. He got a major boost in minutes and the only thing that drastically went up in his stats is points. The rebs n assist barely jumped up. Rockets Harden you saw glimpses of it in OKC with high level playmaking with scoring. CamT can be a piece but he is not a player you give the keys to or build around him like his a superstar.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#52 » by vincecarter4pres » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:07 pm

Eatgreenz wrote:

100% agree CamT gets way to hyped somebody called him a blue chip prospect on twitter smh. Even with all his improvements he still look like a sg. He got a major boost in minutes and the only thing that drastically went up in his stats is points. The rebs n assist barely jumped up. Rockets Harden you saw glimpses of it in OKC with high level playmaking with scoring. CamT can be a piece but he is not a player you give the keys to or build around him like his a superstar.

Yeah I feel like maybe I come across way too harsh on Cam, and good chance I’m wrong and he becomes a low level star, not just a blazing 6xth man, but I will not concede against some of these hot takes no matter who on this board is making them lol.

Like when we start tossing Harden around with him, it just gets silly. Even if it happens somehow and he’s a 30-11-8 guy in a few years in the MVP running, I still don’t believe it makes that take today, any more realistic. That’s being nice, it doesn’t make it any less delusional.

I still say if he becomes 6’3 Michael Redd it will be pretty amazing odds he beat, and some serious work he’s put it on court, and mentally.

And I’ll give everyone here that one and again concede maybe I’m being overly critical. But that’s not even the comparisons we’re hearing.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#53 » by vincecarter4pres » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:13 pm

NetsJets wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:
NetsJets wrote:Did you miss what i said lol? I said we should bring in a play maker at the 3 to essentially be the point guard. What Ben Simmons should have been for us but he’s scared to play basketball.

Is Giddey a playmaker like that? I’ve actually been critical of Cam at times. However I can’t act like Cam didn’t make any strides this year. I’m not acting like he’s the next biggest thing either.

Yeah Giddey can just about run an offense, and he’s improving as a shooter, a little hard to hide at any position on defense though.

And I’m fine praising Cam for making some strides, it’s just getting out of hand when we’re giving him the Harden treatment, no matter the context you want to spin on it. You are acting like he’s the next big thing when you say that, that’s an all time great, first ballot Hall of Famer, former MVP.

I know you didn’t personally, you even sayb you don’t know if he’s a guy you build around. I talking to those making Harden comparisons.
NetsJets
Starter

Post#54 » by NetsJets » Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:43 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:
NetsJets wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:Maybe like a Josh Giddey, but my point still stands, some of you guys overrate what Cam will likely become imho.

Yeah Giddey can just about run an offense, and he’s improving as a shooter, a little hard to hide at any position on defense though.

And I’m fine praising Cam for making some strides, it’s just getting out of hand when we’re giving him the Harden treatment, no matter the context you want to spin on it. You are acting like he’s the next big thing when you say that, that’s an all time great, first ballot Hall of Famer, former MVP.

I know you didn’t personally, you even sayb you don’t know if he’s a guy you build around. I talking to those making Harden comparisons.

Off court issues aside that sounds intriguing. Although I’d prefer someone a little better defensively.

As for Cam I agree with you, they overrate him so much at times it gets annoying. But I don’t let them have any bearing on how I view Cam, it’s not fair to him.
Netaman
Analyst

Post#55 » by Netaman » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:12 pm

big update from Scotto/Lewis nothing majorly notable but:

coach Bud wanted a big contract and had some big demands (makes sense given last year's hires),
thinks greater than 50% chance clax is back,
mitchell is the guy who could hit market that they'd need to be ready to move on. doesnt think CLE risks him leaving for nothing in FA.

You have to be flexible enough to pivot in case Mitchell, a native New Yorker who happens to love New York, his people are still in New York and has friends on the roster, becomes available.

He’s not the only player. He seems the most likely one. If some other player of similar caliber becomes disgruntled, as anyone who’s seen that follows the Nets, superstars can become disgruntled very quickly. If another superstar becomes disgruntled like Giannis if he decides he’s given a lot of great years to Milwaukee and wants to leave, there are a few players who’d make the Nets pivot off of waiting until 2025. The baseline right now is the summer of 2025.

Read on Twitter
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,599

Post#56 » by TheNetsFan » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:55 pm

Netaman wrote:big update from Scotto/Lewis nothing majorly notable but:

coach Bud wanted a big contract and had some big demands (makes sense given last year's hires),
thinks greater than 50% chance clax is back,
mitchell is the guy who could hit market that they'd need to be ready to move on. doesnt think CLE risks him leaving for nothing in FA.

There were some other interesting tidbits as well. Scotto seems to think that while Bud was a finalist, he was clearly behind Fernandez & Young. Borrego seemed to be in the mix as well.

It's interesting that both see it unlikely that DSJ & Watford are back. Lewis seems to think a greater than 50% shot at Walker being back. Watford is the guy that I thought could be the one retained a a multi-year, partially or non-guaranteed minimum.

Both are confirming that Claxton is in the $20-$25mil per range. $25mil seems to be a firm ceiling, and the sense is that they feel the lower end is more likely (I've been on the 4/$90mil thought process since last offseason).

All-in on '25 FA unless certain stars ask out sooner (Mitchell & Giannis are examples dropped).

Bridges is eligible for a 3 year, $113mil extension. They don't think he'll take it expecting he could fetch more in a couple years, but by today's cap numbers that would seem like a pretty fair deal for both parties ($37.7mil average; probably about 21-22% of the cap). They say the Nets would sign him to that extension if he were willing. I could see Bridges getting to the 25% neighborhood, but not much higher. Does financial security trump opportunity?
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#57 » by vincecarter4pres » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:44 pm

Thinking we might be severely disappointed in this off-season lol.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#58 » by vincecarter4pres » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:37 pm

TheNetsFan wrote:All the smoke is around Donovan Mitchell. The ideal scenario would be wait until 2025, sign a FA with cap space & then use the picks for another star. The next best option is to use the picks if a star is available this off-season & somehow retain enough cap space to sign a second star (or at least a high end starter) in 2025. The problem with trading for one early, that keeping enough cap space for 2025 seems near impossible (unless Claxton's market value is far below expectation).

Yeah, all this debate, discussion and speculation by all of us on here, and very good chance Marks makes only a couple mid, cap conscious moves, with all eyes on ‘25, while hopefully retaining Clax.

Aside from Mitchell, or someone really unexpected like Ja, or a real out of nowhere wildcard, we should be looking at who is a good player on expiring salary, whose team would like to trade for Cam Johnson, DFS and maybe some 2nds, specifically?

I’m going to continue this discussion in the Off-season thread so this one doesn’t get hijacked.

|
|
V

Some possibilities:

Caris LeVert - Cavs
Evan Fournier - Pistons
Malcolm Brogdon - Blazers
Bruce Brown - Raptors
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,599

Post#59 » by TheNetsFan » Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:34 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:
TheNetsFan wrote:All the smoke is around Donovan Mitchell. The ideal scenario would be wait until 2025, sign a FA with cap space & then use the picks for another star. The next best option is to use the picks if a star is available this off-season & somehow retain enough cap space to sign a second star (or at least a high end starter) in 2025. The problem with trading for one early, that keeping enough cap space for 2025 seems near impossible (unless Claxton's market value is far below expectation).

Yeah, all this debate, discussion and speculation by all of us on here, and very good chance Marks makes only a couple mid, cap conscious moves, with all eyes on ‘25, while hopefully retaining Clax.

Aside from Mitchell, or someone really unexpected like Ja, or a real out of nowhere wildcard, we should be looking at who is a good player on expiring salary, whose team would like to trade for Cam Johnson, DFS and maybe some 2nds, specifically?

I’m going to continue this discussion in the Off-season thread so this one doesn’t get hijacked.

|
|
V

Some possibilities:

Caris LeVert - Cavs
Evan Fournier - Pistons
Bruce Brown - Raptors

LeVert's ability to handle the ball & distribute would be a very welcome addition. I've heard Brogdon could be an issue, especially if he's looking to land somewhere that will extend/re-sign him.

I'd keep an eye on Ingram. If the Pels disappoint, they could get gun shy on paying him big money next year, and look for more cost controlled players.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#60 » by vincecarter4pres » Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:54 pm

TheNetsFan wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:

|
|
V

Some possibilities:

Caris LeVert - Cavs
Evan Fournier - Pistons
Bruce Brown - Raptors

LeVert's ability to handle the ball & distribute would be a very welcome addition. I've heard Brogdon could be an issue, especially if he's looking to land somewhere that will extend/re-sign him.

I'd keep an eye on Ingram. If the Pels disappoint, they could get gun shy on paying him big money next year, and look for more cost controlled players.

Ingram could very likely be available, but I hate the idea of giving up real assets to get him, and then being held hostage to a max contract the following summer, when there might be bigger fish to fry.

Because it might cost multiple picks for him in addition to something like Cam J and Schröder.

Return to Brooklyn Nets