ImageImageImageImageImage

Official ‘24-25 Off-season Thread

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

NetsWorld
Starter
And1: 1,030

Re: Official ‘24-25 Off-season Thread 

Post#21 » by NetsWorld » Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:52 pm

I see either Mitchell or Young in a Nets uniform. This team needs a 1-2 punch, we have seen this before. Marks will have to try and capitalize on accomplishing the task of landing two all stars and not depleting his assets. 2021 was not kind to us when we traded all of our assets in the James Harden trade.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#22 » by vincecarter4pres » Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:41 pm

NetsWorld wrote:I see either Mitchell or Young in a Nets uniform. This team needs a 1-2 punch, we have seen this before. Marks will have to try and capitalize on accomplishing the task of landing two all stars and not depleting his assets. 2021 was not kind to us when we traded all of our assets in the James Harden trade.

Really doubt Atlanta trades Trae, think it will be Murray.

A team like Atlanta, with their owner, is only concerned with selling a product and making money, plus they owe a lot of picks to San An.

Trae is very marketable, has had some legit success and seems to like it in Atlanta for the time being. They’re ownership is fine being treadmill.

To me it’s Murray who is gone, whether in a player for player trade, or a package deal.

Could even see him winding up here for Cam Johnson, Sharpe and a pick kind of deal, or Schröder and DFS and a pick, whether we land Mitchell or not.

Though it seems more likely if Mitchell isn’t dealt they hold and clear cap.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
NetsJets
Starter
And1: 659

Post#23 » by NetsJets » Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:58 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=q9ZfAf_VfOcaELq9UpCt-A
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#24 » by vincecarter4pres » Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:17 pm

So not saying this will happen, but I think they have a very specific plan in mind.

My guess is they want to acquire Donovan Mitchell to kick the first domino over(What a wild guess! :lol:)

Then they want to trade for one of Brandon Ingram, Paul George, or LeBron James, with Markkanen as a distant fourth option. Distant fourth not only because they prefer the other 3 players, but because he ironically maybe the most difficult and costly to obtain.

Preferably keep Schröder and Clowney.

Operate as an over the cap, but under the tax team.

Re-sign Clax.

Sign someone to full non-taxpayer’s MLE before it’s unavailable because we’re a first apron tax team in ‘25.

Vet min guys.

PG: Donovan Mitchell/Dennis Schröder
SG: Bridges/vet min/Schröder
F: Ingram,PG,LeBron,Markkanen/Clowney
F: Tobias Harris,Royce O’Neale,Bruce Brown,PJ Tucker,KCP, etc./Clowney
C: Claxton/Sharpe/Clowney

Truly think this is about what they envision by the deadline, but more preferably the summer.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Netaman
Analyst
And1: 1,069

Post#25 » by Netaman » Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:38 pm

Bunch of random thoughts as we enter our playoffs, the offseason:

1. Begrudgingly I think Cam T has won me over. Not enough to extend him but enough to not trade him unless it's a deal breaker for an MVP level player (Mitchell or Ja). Watched some of knick game yesterday, he has shown real progress beyond scoring. He had a great lob to Clax down the stretch. His defense has improved. Props to the man, he must be putting in work. I think you give him a chance with a real lead guard and if it doesnt fit then he's your centerpiece of the "next big trade".

2. I think Wilson and Clowney are legit. In prior years I didn't think CamT, Sharpe, or Kessler Edwards were for real but I think Wilson and Clowney are. They should be the first backups in the frontcourt off bench next year.

3. Adding up the first 2 points above, that makes the trade packages for a star lead guard pretty simple:

$15m DFS +
$13m Schroder +
picks
= $28m of outgoing salary that can match up to $35.5m (Ja or Mitchell)

I'd imagine Sharpe ($4m) is a somewhat appealing piece too, adding him would allow them to match 125% of 32m = $40m (trae).

they wouldn't necessarily need a 3 team deal, but here's an example of one that i think fits cleveland better than taking back Schroder since he prefers to start (which he could do in NO).

4. If Mitchell doesn't hit the market, you could in theory plug/play Trae Young - but I don't see the Nets being gung ho about Trae unless they hire Bud and he wants him (which is at least plausible). Even simpler you could also plug and play Ja Morant. Seems unlikely MEM will sell him low, but maybe not if he asks for a fresh start? MEM could route DFS/Schroder to 3rd/4th teams for more picks. Obviously Murray is another option that's highly available. The price would be a lot cheaper. If they strike out on the big names maybe they do it?

5. Ben10. his $40m could match in the lead guard trade, maybe MEM or ATL does that if they are fully resetting or looking to get under for 2025? keeping him on bench would obviously eat up almost all the nets remaining money under lux tax so I think most likely he's going to be gone since he's an expiring in the next version of the mozgov/harris trade. I'd imagine you could just swap him for some other contracts even if you have to include some 2nd round picks.

6. if the nets can pull off a lead guard and dump ben10, here's where they are:

$34m-40m lead guard (mitchell, ja, trae)
$4m CamT
$23m Bridges
$24m CamJ
$20m Clax
$105m starting lineup (+9m if trae)

approx $10m bench under control = wilson, clowney, watford (RFA), whitehead
approx $50m left to spend under lux tax = maybe bring back DSJ + Walker affordably? if you can keep sharpe, maybe you use some of the $ to extend him early on a reasonable deal like they did with clax? maybe Bruce Brown reunion for 6th man? a chunk of this will get eaten up by whatever contracts they take back for ben10.

would also still own the PHO25, PHO28 (swap), PHI27, and DAL29.

imagine a midseason deal returning the 2 PHO picks and CamJ for KD? lol
Netaman
Analyst

Post#26 » by Netaman » Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:34 pm

Coach Bud would be a good hire. Would be a helpful voice in considering a Trae pursuit. Hopefully also appealing to someone who cares about winning like Mitchell.

Read on Twitter
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,265

Post#27 » by Papi_swav » Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:44 am

vincecarter4pres wrote:So not saying this will happen, but I think they have a very specific plan in mind.

My guess is they want to acquire Donovan Mitchell to kick the first domino over(What a wild guess! :lol:)

Then they want to trade for one of Brandon Ingram, Paul George, or LeBron James, with Markkanen as a distant fourth option. Distant fourth not only because they prefer the other 3 players, but because he ironically maybe the most difficult and costly to obtain.

Re-sign Clax.

Sign someone to full non-taxpayer’s MLE before it’s unavailable because we’re a first apron tax team in ‘25.

Vet min guys.

Truly think this is about what they envision by the deadline, but more preferably the summer.

this is a 2nd round team at best. We shouldn't mess up our future for this
Papi_swav
General Manager

Post#28 » by Papi_swav » Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:45 am

Netaman wrote:Coach Bud would be a good hire. Would be a helpful voice in considering a Trae pursuit. Hopefully also appealing to someone who cares about winning like Mitchell.

Read on Twitter

no thanks on Bud. Even tho he has a winning record, many fans say he's not that good of a coach and he's stubborn, has too many flaws. I want someone new and fresh
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#29 » by vincecarter4pres » Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:05 pm

Papi_swav wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:So not saying this will happen, but I think they have a very specific plan in mind.

Re-sign Clax.

Vet min guys.

Don’t entirely disagree, I’d rather a proper rebuild as well if the Houston deal is on the table and we get back at least the ‘24-26 picks and Eason.

But I do think this team is a contender and should be a top 4 seed for many years if healthy.

And the reality is, no matter how some of us feel this is what they’re looking to do. Keep Bridges, land 2 stars and hold onto Clax, while retaining some trade-able contracts.
Papi_swav
General Manager

Post#30 » by Papi_swav » Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:07 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:

Re-sign Clax.

Vet min guys.

Don’t entirely disagree, I’d rather a proper rebuild as well if the Houston deal is on the table and we get back at least the ‘24-26 picks and Eason.

But I do think this team is a contender and should be a top 4 seed for many years if healthy.

And the reality is, no matter how some of us feel this is what they’re looking to do. Keep Bridges, land 2 stars and hold onto Clax, while retaining some trade-able contracts.

we should of did the rumored Houston deal with Bridges going there and we get back Jalen Green and picks. Jalen Green played exceptional to end this year , looking like a lil Kobe lol
Decipher
Rookie
And1: 925

Post#31 » by Decipher » Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:50 pm

Ollie is a massive improvement over JV but looks like he’s on his way out as well

Hopefully stays around as seems like a good dude
Decipher
Rookie

Post#32 » by Decipher » Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:53 pm

Anyway, what a **** season

Have barely watched in weeks as there was nothing to look forward to, have zero interest in watching other teams in the playoffs and no draft picks

Wake me up in September
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#33 » by vincecarter4pres » Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:10 pm

Decipher wrote:Anyway, what a **** season

Have barely watched in weeks as there was nothing to look forward to, have zero interest in watching other teams in the playoffs and no draft picks

Wake me up in September

These are setting up to be legendary playoffs, usually I feel the same as soon as the Nets are eliminated, but I’m really excited this year.
Decipher
Rookie

Post#34 » by Decipher » Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:00 am

vincecarter4pres wrote:

Wake me up in September

These are setting up to be legendary playoffs, usually I feel the same as soon as the Nets are eliminated, but I’m really excited this year.

Haven’t watched at all as there’s been lots of other sports on

Might watch some of the playoffs but won’t lose any sleep if I don’t
Netaman
Analyst

Post#35 » by Netaman » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:14 am

vincecarter4pres wrote:

Wake me up in September

im meh on the east other than hoping cavs out early for mitchell reasons, but the west should be super fun. im rooting for steph, kd, or lebron to do something special.

i guess knicks heat would be fun though.
3pt_chucker
Head Coach
And1: 2,002

Post#36 » by 3pt_chucker » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:18 am

I'm still not sold on why Nets should give up multiple picks for Mitchell.

If Nets are 1 of many teams DM would like to play for, then it will cost a the majority of Nets available assets to get him because a bidding war would take place. So if Nets pull trigger, what happens if the leftover team is not great and Mitchell decides we wants to test FA? Feels far too risky given that Bridges is clearly a 3rd option at best.

If Brooklyn is where he wants to be, why not wait till he's a FA? With Ben coming off the books in 2025, Mitchell slots in perfectly. Why not save those assets to then attract a legit #1 franchise player or make a smaller trade for a 1b guy with those assets to pair with Mitchell.

To me a DM trade would make more sense if he had a longer term contract, so you're paying a premium to secure his services with years of team control left, giving you time to build a legit team around him. Otherwise this seems like a fool hardy move.
Decipher
Rookie

Post#37 » by Decipher » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:56 am

Not to mention that Cam’s stats are basically the same at a similar age
NetsWorld
Starter
And1: 1,030

Post#38 » by NetsWorld » Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:06 pm

Decipher wrote:Not to mention that Cam’s stats are basically the same at a similar age

The similarities to Harden have been made as well; hence why I feel maybe the Nets can make moves to build the team around Cam Thomas and try to replicate those Rockets teams in 18 and 19.
NetsJets
Starter
And1: 659

Post#39 » by NetsJets » Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:27 pm

I’m not sure if Cam Thomas is a guy you build around. Can he be a key player on a good team? Sure. But if he’s your best player then you’re looking at ping pong balls in the lottery. I liked a lot of what I’ve seen from Cam this year, his defense has improved, his play making and passing has gotten better. I don’t want to trade him but if the opportunity comes to potentially bring in a star id definitely sell high. However, i do like the idea of Cam and Bridges in the back court with the SF (whomever that may be) being the facilitator on offense. I would lean towards going after a more play making 3 with some size who can shoot and score and retain Claxton.

C- Claxton
PF- Clowney
SF- ??
SG- Bridges
PG- Cam

This hinges on Bridges recovering from his slump, whomever the play making 3 is being consistent, and Clowney and Clax taking steps up. As well as Cam Thomas continuing to improve. I’d go in that direction and I’m not as enthusiastic about Mitchell as before.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#40 » by vincecarter4pres » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:06 am

Y’all are wilding with the point guard talk on Cam as an actual idea long term, or even just for one season.

He has certainly made improvements, but his assists still come off of reactionary plays as a last resort, he still ball stops, and he still can’t run an offense for more then some random plays.

More encouraging is he seems to be getting better off ball.

His defense is just awful overall as well imho, which is a bit scary because he is actually giving much better effort.

Even in the Knicks game I thought he took an immense amount of questionable shots and got us deep into the shot clock far too often when he was running point.

I was watching that Knicks game thinking if Mitchell was there in place of Cam, the Knicks never would have come all the way back.

Again, I’m not saying he won’t keep improving, and I’m not saying he won’t become a good player, but if you’re planning on building around him, I want that GM fired, unless it’s because you have literally no choice. If you’re building with him, I believe that a tall task if he’s a starter.

Harden? Are we really saying Harden? Harden is an MVP, a literal all time great, a one man offense, who has learned to become just a big cog in a star studded one.

Even if Cam peaks, the chances he even becomes a top 30 player any given year is super slim.

Return to Brooklyn Nets