Markham votes to continue NHL arena construction

Moderator: Crowned

Homer Jay
Assistant Coach
And1: 674

Markham votes to continue NHL arena construction 

Post#1 » by Homer Jay » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:21 pm

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2013/01/ ... arena.html

With the Coyotes sale falling through. Anybody think they move to Markham? I heard the league wants $400 mil for a second GTA team (why they hated Balsillie so much is because he only offered $150 mil). That would be on top of paying 100 mil or so for the coyotes. I have a feeling some corporate entity could pony up the $500 mil to get this done. It's a sure money maker.
Brew666
Junior
And1: 22

Re: Markham votes to continue NHL arena construction 

Post#2 » by Brew666 » Fri Feb 1, 2013 4:24 pm

On PTS yesterday they were talking about the costs. I guess the price is $500 million to purchase a franchise and then you pay an additional sum for moving them. Winnipeg paid around $70 million to move Atlanta and the league said it would cost $95 million to move out of Phoenix. The league chooses what the cost is to move a franchise and depends what market you're moving to; and McCowan was saying he knows that something around $300-400 million is what it'll cost to move a franchise to the GTA (plus the 500 million to purchase the team) b/c something close to that was offered in the past and turned down. So if a second team wants to move to the GTA it's going to cost them huge money.
Mohanad
Pro Prospect
And1: 698

Post#3 » by Mohanad » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:47 am

Brew666 wrote:On PTS yesterday they were talking about the costs. I guess the price is $500 million to purchase a franchise and then you pay an additional sum for moving them. Winnipeg paid around $70 million to move Atlanta and the league said it would cost $95 million to move out of Phoenix. The league chooses what the cost is to move a franchise and depends what market you're moving to; and McCowan was saying he knows that something around $300-400 million is what it'll cost to move a franchise to the GTA (plus the 500 million to purchase the team) b/c something close to that was offered in the past and turned down. So if a second team wants to move to the GTA it's going to cost them huge money.

NHL are greedy pigs and run by terrible businessmen.
LascelleL
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,996

Post#4 » by LascelleL » Tue Jun 4, 2013 9:25 pm

Can Markham support it's own NHL market?
Brew666
Junior
And1: 22

Post#5 » by Brew666 » Fri Jun 7, 2013 8:02 pm

LascelleL wrote:Can Markham support it's own NHL market?

I'd say so. Stick a team anywhere in southern Ontario and it's going to be profitable.
whysoserious
RealGM
And1: 8,634

Post#6 » by whysoserious » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:51 pm

LascelleL wrote:Can Markham support it's own NHL market?

It's not just Markham that will support it. Think about Markham, Richmond Hill, Vaughan, go north to Aurora, go west to Mississauga, Brampton, and go East to Pickering and Oshawa. There will be a lot of people that would love to go to an NHL game that is not downtown, where they can hop on the 407 and get to and from easily.

The only thing is selling corporate suites outside of the downtown core but I still think you can make it work.

And I actually believe it leads to more profit for the new franchise and the Leafs even though the Leafs don't want the competition.

Return to Toronto Maple Leafs