ImageImageImage

Leafs 2014-15 Season Thread

Moderator: Crowned

Brew666
Junior
And1: 22

Re: Leafs 2014-15 Season Thread 

Post#181 » by Brew666 » Wed Feb 4, 2015 4:25 pm

https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1JHpAdQlVMQjPRovgIRUYZL3_Hng91UBo6Wojg-VfJg8/edit?usp=sharing

Alright, so I decided to create a little flow chart as to how I think the Leafs should rebuild this team. It's far from perfect and mostly general but felt it's better than writing a huge reply. Sorry, don't know how to embed a PDF and could only figure out how to provide a link.

Something I thought of after the fact that I didn't include is personally I have no issue retaining/taking on salary as long as it expires in 5 years. Think what Burke did w/ Lombardi/Franson...take on some salary for the short term and acquire some talent as well.
Brew666
Junior

Post#182 » by Brew666 » Wed Feb 4, 2015 4:43 pm

youngtea wrote:Are the leafs rebuilding or retooling? No one from MLSE has said either way and that is the part that worries me most.

I would think at this point they're rebuilding but I've never heard anyone come right out and say it. The writing has to be on the wall it seems like the fan base is for it too.

Within the last month Shannahan [or was it Nonis?] was on Prime Time Sports and said they've had a plan the entire time. What that plan is, who knows.

I think a retool would be going down the exact path that Burke did and hope mgmt recognizes that.
BramptonYute
Head Coach
And1: 8,677

Post#183 » by BramptonYute » Wed Feb 4, 2015 11:27 pm

I doubt Edmonton or Buffalo catch up to us, and im not to sure if Carolina will be able to catch up to us either, and Arizona looks like they'll be selling off some assets, so I'll be happy with a top 5 pick.
bballsparkin
RealGM
And1: 7,497

Post#184 » by bballsparkin » Fri Feb 6, 2015 4:09 am

whysoserious wrote:10 straight losses. Bernier with a minor injury. Should let him rest and start showcasing Reimer for a deal possibly.

One of them should be dealt by the draft. Gotta keep this losing streak up and tear it down. If they get a top 5 or top 3 pick, they need to do everything in their power to trade up and get McDavid. They've missed too many opportunities over the last 10 years for a franchise talent, they may not get him, but they need to do everything they can.

If the Leafs can get him it will be too much. Teams don't trade picks like McDavid. I hear the top 2 is nice and third aint so bad. But it's doubtful the Leafs get the third pick let alone the second. So what could the Leafs possibly offer with a pick 4 and up that is worth trading McDavid for? :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: Nothing. Well maybe Seguin,...:eyebrows: :eyebrows:

This seems like a special draft. Get into the top 8 and they might get a gem.
whysoserious
RealGM
And1: 8,634

Post#185 » by whysoserious » Fri Feb 6, 2015 12:23 pm

bballsparkin wrote:
If the Leafs can get him it will be too much. Teams don't trade picks like McDavid. I hear the top 2 is nice and third aint so bad. But it's doubtful the Leafs get the third pick let alone the second. So what could the Leafs possibly offer with a pick 4 and up that is worth trading McDavid for? :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: Nothing. Well maybe Seguin,...:eyebrows: :eyebrows:

This seems like a special draft. Get into the top 8 and they might get a gem.

It doesn't matter, you give up whatever is necessary if there's even the slightest chance of getting him. There's nothing really on this roster that should be held on to or worth saying no to if there's any chance. Sure there are nice players and seems like a deep draft, but this organization needs a McDavid type to set the stage going forward.
Brew666
Junior

Post#186 » by Brew666 » Fri Feb 6, 2015 6:47 pm

whysoserious wrote:
It doesn't matter, you give up whatever is necessary if there's even the slightest chance of getting him. There's nothing really on this roster that should be held on to or worth saying no to if there's any chance. Sure there are nice players and seems like a deep draft, but this organization needs a McDavid type to set the stage going forward.

If the cost was only prospects and players, I'm all for it but I don't see a deal getting done without including multiple 1st rd picks which doesn't make any sense with the state of the franchise. JVR, Nylander, Rielly, and this 1st rd pick maybe? That's probably the best package the Leafs could offer without including future picks that makes sense for a team rebuilding and I don't think you take that package for McDavid.

If I have the 1st overall pick and the Leafs come knocking, I'm asking for 3-4 1st rders plus Rielly. Maybe Edmonton bites b/c they're a mess but you deal Hall, RNH, Eberle, Yakupov before you move the McDavid pick.

It's also a massive risk to the GM that deals the #1 pick. If you deal McDavid and don't win the deal, it's careers suicide. The easiest/safest thing to do is draft McDavid w/ the 1st pick.
Brew666
Junior

Post#187 » by Brew666 » Fri Feb 6, 2015 6:52 pm

bballsparkin wrote:This seems like a special draft. Get into the top 8 and they might get a gem.

Not a fan of Bob McKenzie but I respect his opinion on the juniors. In his mid-season rankings he said any team that's getting a top 12 pick is going to be getting a very good player. As long as the Leafs get the highest pick they can, I'm happy. McDavid is the dream but there are going to be other cornerstone players in this draft and it's about getting into the best position possible to draft talent and then the scouting department figuring out who is the right player.
whysoserious
RealGM

Post#188 » by whysoserious » Fri Feb 6, 2015 7:35 pm

Brew666 wrote:
If the cost was only prospects and players, I'm all for it but I don't see a deal getting done without including multiple 1st rd picks which doesn't make any sense with the state of the franchise. JVR, Nylander, Rielly, and this 1st rd pick maybe? That's probably the best package the Leafs could offer without including future picks that makes sense for a team rebuilding and I don't think you take that package for McDavid.

If I have the 1st overall pick and the Leafs come knocking, I'm asking for 3-4 1st rders plus Rielly. Maybe Edmonton bites b/c they're a mess but you deal Hall, RNH, Eberle, Yakupov before you move the McDavid pick.

It's also a massive risk to the GM that deals the #1 pick. If you deal McDavid and don't win the deal, it's careers suicide. The easiest/safest thing to do is draft McDavid w/ the 1st pick.

I'm on the opposite side. I'd give up as many firsts as possible for a guy like him. Sure we would be rebuilding but you can always move those other guys for mid-late firsts and keep adding youth and if you've got good scouts you should still land quality young players.

But a potential game changer is what the Leafs need and they need one here for the long-haul. It will take a lot of work to build around him and giving up multiple firsts is definitely a high cost but you need to take that step. The Leafs badly need to take this risk.
bballsparkin
RealGM

Post#189 » by bballsparkin » Fri Feb 6, 2015 9:55 pm

I just don't see a GM trading McDavid. For a team like Phoenix, Carolina, Columbus and Buffalo he's money in the bank if he pans out. Even if the Leafs offered this years pick, Reilly, and 3 future firsts there is no guarantee any of those players turns into an allstar. And it is a lot for the Leafs to give up. Especially assuming some of those future firsts could be high. The Leafs are going to need lottery luck to get him. Or maybe some wink wink love from Bettman, lol.

edit: I didn't realize just how much they have fallen. Top 5 is definitely in reach.
bballsparkin
RealGM

Post#190 » by bballsparkin » Fri Feb 6, 2015 10:06 pm

Brew666 wrote:Not a fan of Bob McKenzie but I respect his opinion on the juniors. In his mid-season rankings he said any team that's getting a top 12 pick is going to be getting a very good player. As long as the Leafs get the highest pick they can, I'm happy. McDavid is the dream but there are going to be other cornerstone players in this draft and it's about getting into the best position possible to draft talent and then the scouting department figuring out who is the right player.

If that's the case, maybe the Leafs should be aiming to get another top 12 pick. Maybe in a Kessle trade? Perhaps a team like the Kings if they some how finish in the bottom 10. They were rumored to be interested before and likely have good prospects to add with the pick. Rebuild with Reilly, Nylander and two top 10 picks from this draft. Trade one of the goalies and JVR and all of a sudden they could be looking deep with young talent. Also, if they free up some cap space to sign a player or two that wouldn't hurt.
TRNBA12
Junior
And1: 176

Post#191 » by TRNBA12 » Sat Feb 7, 2015 2:37 am

holy ****
CPT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,953

Post#192 » by CPT » Sat Feb 7, 2015 9:35 am

Any interest in Evander Kane?

Would be a sweet tank move, since he's opted for surgery and won't be back this year. Only 23, seems to be done with the Jets, and they may take a win now offer for him, since they are in the playoff race. Don't know what they would want though.
TRNBA12
Junior
And1: 176

Post#193 » by TRNBA12 » Sat Feb 7, 2015 8:29 pm

Keep reading people talking about Kessel for Seth Jones on HFBoards. My first thought was Phil can't be worth as much as Jones but if people more plugged in than me are suggesting it?
BramptonYute
Head Coach
And1: 8,677

Post#194 » by BramptonYute » Sat Feb 7, 2015 10:30 pm

Honestly, I think the preds would do it. But if I were Nonis, I wouldnt take it.

Jones + Forsberg would be the best, but theres no way the Preds would do that.
bballsparkin
RealGM

Post#195 » by bballsparkin » Sun Feb 8, 2015 7:16 am

I think if Seth Jones is offered you snatch it. Kessel could be a good fit in Nashville too.
GYBE
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 358

Post#196 » by GYBE » Sun Feb 8, 2015 8:53 pm

bballsparkin wrote:Also, if they free up some cap space to sign a player or two that wouldn't hurt.

Almost impossible with Clarkson's contract.
whysoserious
RealGM

Post#197 » by whysoserious » Mon Feb 9, 2015 1:58 pm

GYBE wrote:
bballsparkin wrote:Also, if they free up some cap space to sign a player or two that wouldn't hurt.

Almost impossible with Clarkson's contract.

Nonis should be fired for that contract alone. We could debate all we want about Kessel and Phaneufs deals but hey it's at least debatable. $5.5 million per season for a third line player is absolutely ridiculous.
Brew666
Junior

Post#198 » by Brew666 » Mon Feb 9, 2015 4:18 pm

I'd be happy with a package around Jones for Kessel if Nashville is interested. He's a right handed shot and the Leafs would have their top d pairing for the next decade. I don't think Kessel could fetch you Jones and Forsberg but possibly their 1st rd pick from this year? It'll be a late pick but maybe pair the pick w/ another player/prospect to move up in the draft. Nashville has said to be interested in Franson too. A Kessel and Franson package should bring back a solid package.
AyAyRon
Junior
And1: 835

Post#199 » by AyAyRon » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:30 pm

CPT wrote:Any interest in Evander Kane?

Would be a sweet tank move, since he's opted for surgery and won't be back this year. Only 23, seems to be done with the Jets, and they may take a win now offer for him, since they are in the playoff race. Don't know what they would want though.

I think playing here would boost his ego more and at the same time mentally mind f**k him.
CPT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,953

Post#200 » by CPT » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:10 am

AyAyRon wrote:
CPT wrote:Any interest in Evander Kane?

I think playing here would boost his ego more and at the same time mentally mind f**k him.

Yeah, I hear enough about tracksuit-gate in Toronto as it is, and it didn't even happen here.

Would be interesting to know what the asking price would be though. Could be a low risk, high reward situation, and really, what do the Leafs have to lose at this point?

Return to Toronto Maple Leafs