binjumper
Starter
And1: 3,695

Re: OT: Leafs Hire Mike Babcock as HC 8yr/50M 

Post#181 » by binjumper » Thu May 21, 2015 1:49 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:
binjumper wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:
Pop's a hall of fame coach, but he isn't actually that great of an in game coach. He is very good at evaluating talent, and he is very good at incorporating good ideas into his offense and defensive sets (like when he grabbed a bunch of what D'Antoni did with the Suns). He is also very good at coaching a team with Tim Duncan on it.

Babcock is signed for 8 years at big money. The fans expectations aren't going to matter.

:noway: not a great in-game coach? really? 5 chips and he still isn't a great in-game coach... I don't know how to feel about that comment.

You don't need to be great at every facet of coaching to win a title. Erik Spolestra has a few of them now. You can't be terrible, and Pop is definitely a hall of fame coach, but talent trumps all in the NBA. Saying he isn't a great in game coach doesn't seem controversial to me.

That's fair and I can agree with that. Let's just hope our coach has at least one facet.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,535

Post#182 » by Dr Positivity » Thu May 21, 2015 2:14 pm

If we had Mike Babcock and Dave Nonis I would still be concerned about the Leafs screwing it up. However having both Babcock and Shanahan means the team is likely to be in strong hands.

I believe Shanahan had a plan to get Babcock first and then make the roster decisions after. It may have been important that we didn't trade Kessel or Phaneuf. Now Mike Babcock can have input on whether he wants to keep either or what he wants to trade them for.
Stolen Identity
Veteran
And1: 4,010

Post#183 » by Stolen Identity » Thu May 21, 2015 3:13 pm

It's a great signing, considering the Leafs will be all in for a rebuild. Lot's of great players and teams can be developed properly with the right coach and I've always thought Babcock has done a solid job.

He's got the experience and this team will get better in time. Just no more short cuts, build through the draft.
Stuck in Dystopia.
XxIronChainzxX
RealGM
And1: 7,659

Post#184 » by XxIronChainzxX » Thu May 21, 2015 3:18 pm

Here's what I don't get. If Babcock is this amazing coach, wouldn't he take the leaf's pile of crap roster further and wreck the tank? I'm not knowledgeable enough about the NHL and how a rebuild works but if the cupboard is totally bare (which is apparently true for the Leafs) wouldn't it take forever to stockpile enough talent to be really competitive (because you need like multiple elite level players, vs. just one in bball?) but it seems like that would be worse, no tbetter.
Northface82
RealGM
And1: 59,711

Post#185 » by Northface82 » Thu May 21, 2015 3:40 pm

For those interested, Media interviews on TSN1050 today:

Babcock @ 3PM
Shanny @ 4PM
kidr1211
RealGM
And1: 18,189

Post#186 » by kidr1211 » Thu May 21, 2015 3:41 pm

Northface82 wrote:For those interested, Media interviews on TSN1050 today:

Babcock @ 3PM
Shanny @ 4PM

Isn't the presser going on right now?
Northface82
RealGM
And1: 59,711

Post#187 » by Northface82 » Thu May 21, 2015 4:14 pm

kidr1211 wrote:

Babcock @ 3PM
Shanny @ 4PM

Oh what... Lol I think I just missed it.
Anything worth while?
kidr1211
RealGM
And1: 18,189

Post#188 » by kidr1211 » Thu May 21, 2015 4:19 pm

Northface82 wrote:
kidr1211 wrote:

Babcock @ 3PM
Shanny @ 4PM

Anything worth while?

Only saw a bit of the butthurt buffalo media trying to go at him
22haytham22
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,265

Post#189 » by 22haytham22 » Thu May 21, 2015 5:04 pm

kidr1211 wrote:
Northface82 wrote:
kidr1211 wrote:

Anything worth while?

Only saw a bit of the butthurt buffalo media trying to go at him

Yea it was hilarious. He is preaching patients and understands a rebuild will take place and got the green light from ownership and Shanny that they wont derail the rebuild and be patient.

Buffalo fans/media are so butt hurt using the excuse that he used the sabres as leverage in terms of money than we find out that the second Shanny met Bobcock they gave him the offer right off the bat to show he was serious so he didn't use the sabres as leverage. It was apparently a 10 year contract for 60 million but he wanted 8 years instead.

TreadMilling Since 1995

Darain wrote:Dude is like 6-10, 6-12 at the most
But he is definitely not 7 foot
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,535

Post#190 » by Dr Positivity » Thu May 21, 2015 5:44 pm

XxIronChainzxX wrote:Here's what I don't get. If Babcock is this amazing coach, wouldn't he take the leaf's pile of crap roster further and wreck the tank? I'm not knowledgeable enough about the NHL and how a rebuild works but if the cupboard is totally bare (which is apparently true for the Leafs) wouldn't it take forever to stockpile enough talent to be really competitive (because you need like multiple elite level players, vs. just one in bball?) but it seems like that would be worse, no tbetter.

Don't think this should be looked at as empty cupboard situation like when Brian Burke started. Kessel, Bozak, JVR line is still pretty young (mid 20s) and has very strong talent with Kessel and JVR having top 5 pick pedigree, have proven themselves and Bozak has shown to be a good player and glue guy. Kadri is a talented player picked top 10 who is still coming on. Nylander was picked top 10 last year. If Leafs keep their forwards they're not far off from having an impressive top 2 lines in terms of talent. If they traded guys like Kessel and JVR and Kadri it would be no guarantee the picks they get in the top 10 would become as good as them

Reilly top 5 pick on D line, has shown star potential. Gardiner has shown talent. Need some defensemen who are good at DEFENSE but there is talent there

Bernier, Reimer both in mid 20s, have shown signs of great play, got hung out to dry last year so their stats have gone down a little.

I read some posts on NHL draft from people who know better than me and some people are VERY high on Marner and Hanifan (expected to go 3rd and 4th), as in saying these are players who could be #1 caliber hype in a year where McDavid and Eichel are not taking all the buzz, and that they should practically be expected to be franchise players. Hanifan apparently is considered as good or slightly better American defenseman prospect than Seth Jones was in his year, just less hype because of the McDavid fest
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,437

Post#191 » by Raps in 4 » Fri May 22, 2015 3:42 am

Fairview4Life wrote:You can't be terrible, and Pop is definitely a hall of fame coach, but talent trumps all in the NBA.

He just won a championship, with a team that, on paper, had no business even being in the playoffs, against the best player of this generation. Do tell me more about how he's a mediocre in-game coach.
XxIronChainzxX
RealGM
And1: 7,659

Post#192 » by XxIronChainzxX » Fri May 22, 2015 5:41 am

Raps in 4 wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:You can't be terrible, and Pop is definitely a hall of fame coach, but talent trumps all in the NBA.

He just won a championship, with a team that, on paper, had no business even being in the playoffs, against the best player of this generation. Do tell me more about how he's a mediocre in-game coach.

Wait, what?
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,627

Post#193 » by Fairview4Life » Fri May 22, 2015 10:07 am

Raps in 4 wrote:

The Spurs have been title contenders for almost 2 decades. On paper.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,216

Post#194 » by LLJ » Fri May 22, 2015 4:50 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:

Pop is not a bad in-game coach at all, but he does have a number of notable in-game brainfarts on his resume. I don't recall Phil ever costing his team a series. But Pop has made some key in-game mistakes. Like subbing out Duncan at the end of Game 6 in the 2013 NBA Finals. That play essentially cost them a title.

Re: Leafs

Even if Babcock is on board for the rebuild, he is not gonna throw games. If we give him some crap talent and we consistently overachieve with them, that would seriously ruin some tanks. Maybe he can get something out of this current roster, but I doubt it. Even if Kessel bounces back, we still don't have any elite defensemen which IMO has often the biggest issue with most of the Leafs better rosters during the past 20 years. IN fact, the Leafs have been looking for an elite defenseman since the Sundin era.
Raps in 4
RealGM

Post#195 » by Raps in 4 » Fri May 22, 2015 6:01 pm

XxIronChainzxX wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:

Wait, what?

Their core last year:

38 year old Tim Duncan
36 year old Manu Ginobili
32 year old and rapidly declining Tony Parker
Just emerging Kawhi Leonard

The rest is the team was composed of journeyman scrubs.
Raps in 4
RealGM

Post#196 » by Raps in 4 » Fri May 22, 2015 6:05 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:

The Spurs have been title contenders for almost 2 decades. On paper.

Pop has been the single reason for that over the past few years. Just because their core looked good on paper a decade ago doesn't mean they still are.
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,627

Post#197 » by Fairview4Life » Fri May 22, 2015 6:25 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:
XxIronChainzxX wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:

Wait, what?

Their core last year:

38 year old Tim Duncan
36 year old Manu Ginobili
32 year old and rapidly declining Tony Parker
Just emerging Kawhi Leonard

The rest is the team was composed of journeyman scrubs.

Well, we differ on our opinions of those guys, and their bench. Like Danny Green, for example. Anyway, to each his own.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
Ganjamayne
Starter
And1: 5,308

Post#198 » by Ganjamayne » Sun May 24, 2015 2:52 am

Haven't been this stoked since Brian Burke was brought on board. Still is disbelief he's the Leafs HC now.
J Dilla
Banned User
And1: 1,832

Post#199 » by J Dilla » Sun May 24, 2015 7:24 am

Parataxis wrote:
J Dilla wrote:
He clearly chose the money though. Buffalo, San Jose and Detroit were better situations to be in.

That depends on your goals though. If you just want to win another cup, then yes, Buffalo, SJ, or Detroit are better situations. But if you want to secure a legacy as the greatest coach in the history of the NHL...

If he can make Toronto a contender, he goes from being the Popovich of the NHL to the Auerbach.

The Leafs are like the New York Knicks of hockey. Anything golden turns into **** as soon as it gets here. Carlyle and Burke were pretty good hires and it never worked out. And I wouldn't be surprised if Babcock goes through the same. You just don't leave a successful organization like the Red Wings that has your friends to come to this shithole. But don't get me wrong, I do have my concerns, but I love this move.

I hope they don't accelerate the rebuild.
GoRapstheoriginal
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,760

Post#200 » by GoRapstheoriginal » Wed May 27, 2015 5:14 pm

Are we going to have a GM in place before the NHL draft takes place or not?

Return to Toronto Maple Leafs