ImageImageImage

Auston Matthews Resigns - 4 Years, $53M

Moderator: Crowned

GoRapstheoriginal
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,762

Re: Auston Matthews Resigns - 4 Years, $53M 

Post#2 » by GoRapstheoriginal » Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:24 am

Greedy piece of sh*t should have given us a discount be more like Tom Brady ffs.

Let us become Cup contenders we need more solid D# signings. Stupid FO as well
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,515

Post#3 » by Harry Palmer » Thu Aug 24, 2023 2:55 am

Does this mean Nylander’s likely gone, or does it mean they’re ok with one more try? And I’ll admit, as insane as it sounds, I’m okay with one more try but from the playoff games I watched they were not a very well coached team, wish they’d make a change there. And honestly I think fans under appreciate Nylander’s contribution to the team, he’s sort of the second best scorer, second best playmaker and best skater by a fair margin, and whenever they need to jumpstart a flagging offence they generally turn to one if his rushes to force the other team back on their heels to move the action inside the other blue line. Marner’s just as shifty and almost as fast but can be bumped off the puck a lot easier, and while Mathews can be really strong on the puck (though I feel he could be even a lot stronger) he’s nowhere near as dynamic or elusive a skater.

And I think his D has gotten a lot better, though admittedly not as good as he flashes when he really wants to, revealing how much more of an almost perfectly complete player he could be.

But last point, yeah Matthews didn’t do us any favours, but OTOH we should have known that possibility left for Pennsylvania. It was literally the first thing I thought when that whole fiasco played out, that it made re-signing less likely and much more expensive. The goodwill he’d earned with him (and others) by taking care of them a little earlier and better than some expected was done in part to foster their trust in him, which I hear they knew would be expected to be reciprocated now that he had less wiggle room. What a ****.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
beater97
Starter
And1: 2

Post#4 » by beater97 » Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:29 pm

Harry Palmer wrote:Does this mean Nylander’s likely gone, or does it mean they’re ok with one more try? And I’ll admit, as insane as it sounds, I’m okay with one more try but from the playoff games I watched they were not a very well coached team, wish they’d make a change there. And honestly I think fans under appreciate Nylander’s contribution to the team, he’s sort of the second best scorer, second best playmaker and best skater by a fair margin, and whenever they need to jumpstart a flagging offence they generally turn to one if his rushes to force the other team back on their heels to move the action inside the other blue line. Marner’s just as shifty and almost as fast but can be bumped off the puck a lot easier, and while Mathews can be really strong on the puck (though I feel he could be even a lot stronger) he’s nowhere near as dynamic or elusive a skater.

And I think his D has gotten a lot better, though admittedly not as good as he flashes when he really wants to, revealing how much more of an almost perfectly complete player he could be.

But last point, yeah Matthews didn’t do us any favours, but OTOH we should have known that possibility left for Pennsylvania. It was literally the first thing I thought when that whole fiasco played out, that it made re-signing less likely and much more expensive. The goodwill he’d earned with him (and others) by taking care of them a little earlier and better than some expected was done in part to foster their trust in him, which I hear they knew would be expected to be reciprocated now that he had less wiggle room. What a ****.

Personally, I hope it means one more try. But I am biased and I love me a little Willy.
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,515

Post#5 » by Harry Palmer » Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:46 pm

beater97 wrote:
Harry Palmer wrote:Does this mean Nylander’s likely gone, or does it mean they’re ok with one more try? And I’ll admit, as insane as it sounds, I’m okay with one more try but from the playoff games I watched they were not a very well coached team, wish they’d make a change there. And honestly I think fans under appreciate Nylander’s contribution to the team, he’s sort of the second best scorer, second best playmaker and best skater by a fair margin, and whenever they need to jumpstart a flagging offence they generally turn to one if his rushes to force the other team back on their heels to move the action inside the other blue line. Marner’s just as shifty and almost as fast but can be bumped off the puck a lot easier, and while Mathews can be really strong on the puck (though I feel he could be even a lot stronger) he’s nowhere near as dynamic or elusive a skater.

Personally, I hope it means one more try. But I am biased and I love me a little Willy.

Worried bringing Keefe back makes the odds of Nylander being the token change/scapegoat higher.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
beater97
Starter
And1: 2

Post#6 » by beater97 » Sat Sep 23, 2023 4:33 am

Harry Palmer wrote:
beater97 wrote:

Worried bringing Keefe back makes the odds of Nylander being the token change/scapegoat higher.

I think that is inevitable. In Keefes eyes or the fans eyes. Nylander is always going to be the easy target, warranted or not.

Return to Toronto Maple Leafs