ImageImageImage

Antropov - truly improved, or just having a good half-season

Moderator: Crowned

Marmoset
Veteran
And1: 563

Antropov - truly improved, or just having a good half-season 

Post#1 » by Marmoset » Mon Apr 2, 2007 2:03 am

I'd like to know what other Leaf fans think of Nik Antropov this season. I've never really liked him (as a player) - even when he was drafted, I never thought he had the skill or the smarts to be a good NHL player.

The last couple of months have frankly surprised me a lot. I never thought he could play at this level, and now I have to wonder if he's teasing us yet again (just for longer this time), or if he has truly improved.

I find it hard to believe that Antropov can do what he is doing now over the next 3,4,5 seasons, and for that reason I'd like to see him traded while his value is high. But I think a lot of people disagree with that, and would rather seem him stick around. I don't know what his contract situation is like, so that makes it hard to say for sure what they Leafs should do, but I think it all comes down to the question in the title - if you think it's just a hot streak, you trade him before he comes back to Earth, otherwise you obviously want to keep him here.
MAS
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35

Post#2 » by MAS » Mon Apr 2, 2007 2:10 am

Frankly, he's an UFA coming up this season, i don't know if i'd re-sign him again.

A LOT of his game comes from Sundin. Since he's on the top line with Sundin and Poni, he doesn't have to carry the puck that much and he can just drive to the net, which is his game. However, without Sundin he would be more vulnerable as a turnover than a net crasher.

He needs someone to carry the puck for him in order to be successful
Andrea>Dirk
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Post#3 » by Andrea>Dirk » Mon Apr 2, 2007 2:13 am

I agree with trading him while his value is high...right now he is just using his body well and letting Sundin control the puck like Mas said. I would def try to move him while we could hopefully get something back.
Marmoset
Veteran
And1: 563

Post#4 » by Marmoset » Mon Apr 2, 2007 2:15 am

MAS wrote:Frankly, he's an UFA coming up this season, i don't know if i'd re-sign him again.

A LOT of his game comes from Sundin. Since he's on the top line with Sundin and Poni, he doesn't have to carry the puck that much and he can just drive to the net, which is his game. However, without Sundin he would be more vulnerable as a turnover than a net crasher.

He needs someone to carry the puck for him in order to be successful

I didn't realize he's a UFA - so much for trading him. Another boat missed by the Leafs organization.

I totally agree with you on the reasons for his success, and between him and Ponikarovsky I think Poni is a better and more consistent player. But they've tried him with Sundin before - I wonder what it is that's working for him this year. Is it contract year syndrome?
Amped
Starter
And1: 49

Post#5 » by Amped » Mon Apr 2, 2007 2:23 am

I think we will re-sign him. He has a really good frame and great size that he uses to his advantage. He just needs to work on his skating. I think he should be re-signed...for the right price.
MAS
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35

Post#6 » by MAS » Mon Apr 2, 2007 2:31 am

I don't think it's contract year syndrome, but it's just that the Leafs are using him properly (for a change)
Andrea>Dirk
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Post#7 » by Andrea>Dirk » Mon Apr 2, 2007 2:35 am

It's all Maurice
Osiris
"Beat The Commish" Champion
And1: 816

Post#8 » by Osiris » Mon Apr 2, 2007 2:42 am

Yeah he's just made the most of Maurice assigning him to a line that works....
He's not a good player. We all know this, nothing has changed.

That doesn't mean he can't continue producing like this if we were to keep him and utilize him like we have.

Although I think the idea is that we're either going to surround Sundin with actual talent, or move him as well (which we should've done way earlier this year. Damn playoff race.)
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 154

Post#9 » by Crowned » Mon Apr 2, 2007 7:52 pm

He isn't THAT bad of a player. The problem is, we're using him as a top 6 forward, and he really isn't...which increases our expectations for him. I'd bring him back as a 3rd line player, 2nd line at the most if JFJ is unable to fill out the roster accordingly.
rdua
Freshman
And1: 3

Post#10 » by rdua » Mon Apr 2, 2007 10:11 pm

I don't think he's a bad player, but just starting to figure out what works for him -- which is going hard to the net. If he can stay injury-free I believe he could continue to be successful.

If the Leafs make the playoffs, look for his line with Sundin and Ponikarovsky to be a handful. The size of the line (no one less than 6-4) has the opportunity to really do some damage once things tighten up.
Harold_and_Kumar
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,656

Post#11 » by Harold_and_Kumar » Tue Apr 3, 2007 10:48 pm

I agree with rdua, the Sundin line would be an absolute terror in the playoffs.

On a side note, i heard on a Canadiens telecast that their team +/- is over -100 at even strength...which suggests they won't do amazing in the playoffs if they make it.

Return to Toronto Maple Leafs