Moderator: Crowned

In the lineup: Pohl or O'Neill?

Total votes: 0

juucer
Bench Warmer
And1: 2

Pohl vs. O'Neill 

Post#1 » by juucer » Thu Apr 5, 2007 1:07 am

Hey everyone, it's a pleasure to be part of the Leafs board. I'm a big fan and hopefully I can be a solid contributor to this board!!

---

So obviously Maurice has decided to go with Pohl in the lineup, and keeping Jeff O'Neill as a healthy scratch.

I had a debate with a friend over whether it would be smarter to have the hands and goal scoring touch of the veteren O'Neill, or the speed and energy of Johnny Pohl.

Personally, I'd prefer O'Neill. Just wanted to know what the board feels about this decision!
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 154

Post#2 » by Crowned » Thu Apr 5, 2007 1:42 am

Welcome to the board. Hopefully you continue to post...we look forward to it.

As for the question, at the moment...you've got to go with what's working. Lately, Pohl has been impressive and has played pretty solid hockey. If the Leafs were to make the playoffs, and need that additional scoring touch, then you might want to go with O'Neill. It also comes down to line combinations for Maurice, and perhaps he doesn't think O'Neill can play a significant enough role on the 3rd/4th line where Pohl is.

It comes down to team need. I think you'll see O'Neill back in the lineup if the Leafs lose tomorrow night, or lose the first game or two in the playoffs.
Andrea>Dirk
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Post#3 » by Andrea>Dirk » Thu Apr 5, 2007 2:02 am

I think Pohl has great upside to be a solid #2 or 3 center in this league. Therefore, I think it is beneficial for him and the team to have him play solid minutes during a stretch run.

As for the real question, plain and simple: Stick with what's been working.
Rhyno
Pro Prospect
And1: 174

Post#4 » by Rhyno » Thu Apr 5, 2007 3:39 am

O'Neill, but his work ethic has been a real issue. We have to remember that O'Neill was once a former 40 goal scorer in this league and has had success in the playoffs with the Hurricanes in 02. So there is that factor. Should the Leafs make the post-season I wouldn't mind the return of O'Neill, and its not as if Pohl has had such a dramatic impact either.
"I mean, you can't -- you guys are like rerun stories. This is just -- this is old stuff. I mean, it's like watching Sanford and Son, you know, you just, rerun after rerun after rerun". --Barry Bonds on the Sports Media
jalenrose#5
Lead Assistant
And1: 266

Post#5 » by jalenrose#5 » Thu Apr 5, 2007 4:32 am

Stajan might be out tomorrow so we might see O'Neill tomorrow anyways....but I'd stick with what's working right now ;)
Harold_and_Kumar
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,656

Post#6 » by Harold_and_Kumar » Thu Apr 5, 2007 9:42 pm

Andrea>Dirk wrote:I think Pohl has great upside to be a solid #2 or 3 center in this league. Therefore, I think it is beneficial for him and the team to have him play solid minutes during a stretch run.

As for the real question, plain and simple: Stick with what's been working.

I think a third line centre is basically his ceiling, he doesnt do really any one thing above average, but is decent in every aspect.

We also have to remember he's not that young, he's already 26, turning 27 this year.
Raps_Swingman
Analyst
And1: 211

Post#7 » by Raps_Swingman » Thu Apr 5, 2007 10:08 pm

Pohl has been better. I love JO. I wore his number in my later years of hockey, but hes done. No confidence is a bad thing for an NHLer, especially a vet.
That's what she said.
WHAT_DA
Lead Assistant
And1: 30

Post#8 » by WHAT_DA » Thu Apr 5, 2007 11:43 pm

I say you go with the hot hand. Having said that i'm happy that pohl is playing instead of O'neill because that means that JFJ wont be making any dumb resignings at least as far as jeff's concerned. That was something I was worried about when Jeff hit the 20 goal mark.

Return to Toronto Maple Leafs