OT: Vancouver Canucks riot

Moderator: Crowned

Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,472

Re: OT: Vancouver Canucks riot 

Post#61 » by Raps in 4 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:50 am

sh00n wrote:To anyone who is saying Montreal would be worse or Toronto would be worse - every city in every part of the world has idiots who will do stupid **** like this. Montreal riots started as a big group of people celebrating downtown, and then a bunch of drunks and looters with bandanas on their face started lighting **** on fire and breaking into shops. I was right in the middle of it, so I know. Stuff like this starts off peaceful, all it takes is a bit of alcohol and drugs and a few pissed off morons to set everything in a downward spiral. The first footage showed a lot of Canuck fans only watching and taking pictures/video, and only a few taking part. Look at the clips now - it's all masked idiots running around trashing the place. My friend lives in Vancouver and showed me it over Skype what it looks like, there's fights and explosions all over the place. I wasn't at the G20 nor did I follow it much, but I don't think it was as bad as this and nothing in Montreal has come close. They've closed every bridge and closed all public transportation and people are getting stabbed all over the place.

It's disgusting, but at the same time the sport shouldn't be blamed. And I think Vancouver police should've been much smarter than to let over 100, 000 people all join up in one area to watch a game, knowing that they wouldn't be able to control that if things got out of hand.

You're in denial, Montreal would be way worse. :P
Waylon Mercy
Banned User
And1: 6,644

Post#62 » by Waylon Mercy » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:52 am

I didn't know Vancouverites were "Flames" fans
sh00n
RealGM
And1: 1,969

Post#63 » by sh00n » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:56 am

UssjTrunks wrote:You're in denial, Montreal would be way worse. :P

If it was the Finals? There's a good chance, especially if the standings were like the old days and it was a Montreal/Boston Stanley Cup Finals. But what I'm saying is this isn't necessarily the fans that should take all the blame, but they will. The majority of the damage and the stuff that's still going on is looters and all around morons that have to ruin it for everyone else.

The thing with Montreal is, there wouldn't be all these people in one area. The police wouldn't allow it, and the traffic is bad enough as it is. Closing off one street is bad enough; I can't imagine what it would be like to have the streets filled like Vancouver did tonight.

Also, Montreal is more compact and the police would be way more prepared than Vancouver's were. They said they were prepared, and if they were they did a miserable job.
Support your local artist, kids: http://www.katsenhakeron.com
@katsenhaker0n on the bird app
darth_federer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 922

Post#64 » by darth_federer » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:00 am

:lol:

Profanity wrote:This is why I question a Canadian team in our league. it's a govt conspiracy trina to sell all our milk to Russia. They let the raptors participate to not let canadians demand crossing taxes. it will backfire one day.
HEDOBALL
Veteran
And1: 1,486

Post#65 » by HEDOBALL » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:01 am

Whoever says the police are to blame for this needs to take another toke on the crack pipe.

As a family member of a BC RCMP officer, I know that VPD and the RCMP pulled every riot squad available from across the province to vancouver for not only game 7, but game 6 as well.

You guys can talk all you want about preparedness for this, but why don't try controlling a 100k+ person crowd.

If anyone is to blame, it'd have to be the city of vancouver for basically opening up the downtown core to this mob.
C_Money
RealGM
And1: 25,650

Post#66 » by C_Money » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:04 am

To the people defending the riots in Toronto. The G20 summit happens every year and most places have peaceful protests. They don't go balls out and start tearing the city down.
sh00n
RealGM

Post#67 » by sh00n » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:04 am

HEDOBALL wrote:Whoever says the police are to blame for this needs to take another toke on the crack pipe.

As a family member of a BC RCMP officer, I know that VPD and the RCMP pulled every riot squad available from across the province to vancouver for not only game 7, but game 6 as well.

You guys can talk all you want about preparedness for this, but why don't try controlling a 100k+ person crowd.

If anyone is to blame, it'd have to be the city of vancouver for basically opening up the downtown core to this mob.

That's my point. They should have been better prepared - which includes making sure that a group that size isn't allowed to assemble in the first place. They can't control something like that.
Thelonious
Assistant Coach
And1: 253

Post#68 » by Thelonious » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:16 am

UssjTrunks wrote:
C_Money wrote:The whole country looks stupid. This same thing was happening in Toronto last summer.

No it doesn't. This happens after every soccer game in every European city. Does anyone think that Spain or Italy look stupid? Most of the world is used to this stuff. It probably won't even make headlines in most countries.

Yeah, we won't hear about it unless there are a few casualties, to be honest.

But saying this happens after evey soccer game in every European city? That's a big stereotype..
It probably happens once or twice a year in like 5 - 10 cities like Milan, Madrid, Liverpool or whatever, and Marseilles onces every 3 years or something.
And there were some very bad occurences in the 90's but since then it's often just 2 groups of 50 old douches staring each other down. And normal people know what can happen so they don't join in on it.
I'm sure 98% of the crowds that took part in this in Vancouver would never have done so if they knew they would be led by these car burning douches.
James_Raptors
RealGM
And1: 10,802

Post#69 » by James_Raptors » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:18 am

Yesterday afternoon there was a VPD officer on the fan590 and she spoke about how they had been planning and preparing for potential rioting, win or lose. She said they had contacted the RCMP already and they were going to help. She discussed how the beer/liq stores were closing an hour or two before the game even started. She also mentioned that they had been keep close tabs on any organized groups who planned on going downtown specifically to riot. It sounded good on paper and after she was done on air I felt good thinking they had things under control.

I guess I was wrong.
08-14-'21:
(re: Scottie Barnes)
-Top 3 Raptors of all-time, 5+ ASG, Min 1 All-NBA 1st /2nd,Min 3 All-Def 1st or 2nd team,between years 2-3 in the running for best current player on our roster,best Raptor on the team, multiple years in a row

RIP Hater
Pooh_Jeter
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,648

Post#70 » by Pooh_Jeter » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:32 am

Well after the riots had started word was just getting out that police from surrounding areas were coming into Vancouver. They may have discussed potential scenarios, but it was pretty clear the police were not ready for what happened.
alienchild wrote:Again, I hope the basketball gods give us the 14th pick in the draft. I hope OG asks for a trade, Birch signs elsewhere and GTJ signs an offer sheet and Raptors don't match. Frankly Masai is dead to me.
Waylon Mercy
Banned User
And1: 6,644

Post#71 » by Waylon Mercy » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:33 am

The riots were far more entertaining then that yawner of a game
sh00n
RealGM

Post#72 » by sh00n » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:36 am

Waylon Mercy wrote:The riots were far more entertaining then that yawner of a game

Yep. Those stabbings were incredibly entertaining.
mowcrowbar
General Manager
And1: 4,179

Post#73 » by mowcrowbar » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:52 am

Only a few groups of dumbasses started the riot. Others were merely watching in interest, Im sure most of you would have watched a burning car too. The idiots who were rioting were not canucks fans at all, just hooligans ceasing an opportunity to raise hell.
James_Raptors
RealGM

Post#74 » by James_Raptors » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:13 am

sh00n wrote:
Waylon Mercy wrote:The riots were far more entertaining then that yawner of a game

Yep. Those stabbings were incredibly entertaining.

You took the words right out of my fingertips.
08-14-'21:
-Top 3 Raptors of all-time, 5+ ASG, Min 1 All-NBA 1st /2nd,Min 3 All-Def 1st or 2nd team,between years 2-3 in the running for best current player on our roster,best Raptor on the team, multiple years in a row

RIP Hater
Darkseid
Analyst
And1: 3,392

Post#75 » by Darkseid » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:13 am

Vancouver didn't deserve to win a Cup and this proves it. Their fans might be the worse in sports.
sh00n
RealGM

Post#76 » by sh00n » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:26 am

Darkseid wrote:Vancouver didn't deserve to win a Cup and this proves it. Their fans might be the worse in sports.

Oddly enough, I'd say it was the ones who won it that have the worst fans. It's a toss up between them and Philadelphia.
Brinbe
RealGM
And1: 35,485

Post#77 » by Brinbe » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:43 am

sh00n wrote:
Darkseid wrote:Vancouver didn't deserve to win a Cup and this proves it. Their fans might be the worse in sports.

Oddly enough, I'd say it was the ones who won it that have the worst fans. It's a toss up between them and Philadelphia.

:roll:
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,101

Post#78 » by tecumseh18 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:18 am

I approve of anything that makes hockey and Canadian hockey fans look bad. It's all setting up for the day when the Jays and Raptors start to win consistently, people catch on to what real sport is when players aren't trying to end each other's careers, and this nation can move beyond its Neanderthal culture and catch up to the rest of the world.

But to compare this with the G20 in Toronto? That was a bunch of legitimate protesters with a small band of bussed-in provocateurs. The $1+ billion worth of police force under-reacted the first day, and then completely over-reacted on the second day. No comparison of the situations.
Egg Nog
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,373

Post#79 » by Egg Nog » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:27 am

Absolutely the most pathetic thing that I've ever seen in my 25 years living in Vancouver.

A complete and utter disgrace for the city.

We live in a country that's so amazing that nobody would ever need to riot, and then we riot over sports.

Humanity can be endlessly pathetic sometimes.
James_Raptors
RealGM

Post#80 » by James_Raptors » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:51 am

On the BBC this morning the Vancouver riots are the 3rd top story worldwide, ahead of Obama/Syria situation and Gabrielle Gifford. :-?
08-14-'21:

RIP Hater

Return to Vancouver Canucks