ImageImageImage

Huet to Start - Right off the Bat

pineappleheadindc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,479

Huet to Start - Right off the Bat 

Post#1 » by pineappleheadindc » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:44 am

I got a soft spot in my heart for Olie, but it looks as though he may be on the outs. The guy that really gets the short end of the stick with Huet's arrival is Brent Johnson.

Huet To Start Tonight For Caps
Move Casts Doubt On Kolzig's Future

By Tarik El-Bashir
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, February 29, 2008; Page E01

For the past decade, in good and bad times, there's been one constant for the Washington Capitals: Olie Kolzig, the team's unquestioned No. 1 goaltender.

Kolzig's reign, however, could be ending.

Tonight, when the team resumes its pursuit of a playoff spot against the Eastern Conference-leading New Jersey Devils, Kolzig is expected to watch from the bench as Cristobal Huet makes his debut in net for the Capitals.

Coach Bruce Boudreau sidestepped a question about Kolzig's future with the organization after yesterday's practice. But the fact that Huet will oppose Devils goalie Martin Brodeur in such an important game raises serious questions about the Capitals' plans for Kolzig, who is coming off a strong 34-save effort in Tuesday's 4-1 victory over Minnesota.

"We traded for a number one goalie from Montreal," Boudreau said, "and now we have two number one goalies. [Kolzig] knows he's going to play. Cristobal Huet is not coming in here to play 18 games. Olie has been playing very good as of late. Chris will play [tonight], and we'll go from there."

What about tomorrow's game against Toronto?

"If Huet is unbelievable" against the Devils, Boudreau said, "we'll go with him on Saturday."

Yesterday, Huet, 32, joined his new teammates on the ice for the first time since being acquired for a second-round draft pick at the NHL's trade deadline Tuesday. Meantime, Kolzig, 37, manned the goal at the other end of the ice at Kettler Capitals Iceplex, while backup Brent Johnson watched from the bench. Suddenly the odd man out in the Capitals' awkward situation, Johnson faced shots from assistant coaches and a handful of stragglers at the conclusion of practice.

All three goalies have measured their words carefully since Huet's unanticipated addition.

"They didn't bring him in here to sit on the bench," said Kolzig, who has been in goal for 22 of the Capitals' 29 victories this season. "It's an opportunity to get him in right away and we'll go from there."

Said Huet, Montreal's No. 1 goaltender for much of the past two seasons: "I'm just going to do whatever they ask me to do. I'm ready for anything, and I'm just going to prepare for" tonight's game.

Johnson said he won't travel to New Jersey and isn't sure how much, if any, playing time he can expect over the season's final six weeks.

Read the rest by clicking here.
"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart."
--Confucius

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try"
- Yoda
Snayr
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4

Post#2 » by Snayr » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:38 pm

Did ya not expect Huet to be the undisputed starter right off the bat? He's got 21 of mtls wins, with a .916 save percentage and a 2.55 goals against. Those are up there with some of the best numbers in this league. He's a number 1 goalie, no doubt about it. Comparing him to Olie's numbers, there should not be a shadow of a doubt.
Montreal Canadiens Fan | Toronto Raptors Fan | Montreal Alouettes Fan - Proud to be Canadian!!
hiphop1
Lead Assistant
And1: 32

Post#3 » by hiphop1 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:51 pm

You guys think Kolzig might be on the market now. The Bruins could use another goalie.
Free your mind and your a** will follow
pineappleheadindc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,479

Post#4 » by pineappleheadindc » Sat Mar 1, 2008 5:13 am

Snayr wrote:Did ya not expect Huet to be the undisputed starter right off the bat? He's got 21 of mtls wins, with a .916 save percentage and a 2.55 goals against. Those are up there with some of the best numbers in this league. He's a number 1 goalie, no doubt about it. Comparing him to Olie's numbers, there should not be a shadow of a doubt.

Huet looked really strong in the net tonight. But it was an "easy" shut-out, only 18 saves. The Caps have never really helped Olie a lot...I recall a number of 30+ save nights for him.

But Huet looked good. Habs are gonna miss him.
"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart."

--Confucius

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try"

- Yoda
Snayr
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4

Post#5 » by Snayr » Sat Mar 1, 2008 5:54 pm

Yeah I was glad to see Huet start off well with you guys. I've always liked him, and think he's a great addition to your club. We will/and won't miss Huet. We traded him to make way for our young guys to gain experience, especially Price.

Basically the Habs thought their future in nets is with Price as the starter, and wouldn't restrict Huet a deserving #1 to play the role of backup. So out of respect to Huet they traded him where he would be the #1 without a doubt.
Montreal Canadiens Fan | Toronto Raptors Fan | Montreal Alouettes Fan - Proud to be Canadian!!
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
And1: 26

Post#6 » by Wizards2Lottery » Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:38 pm

Huet is awesome. We've already started early contract talks with him. Bringing him back over Kolzig should be a no brainer because:

1. Hes younger
2. He makes our crappy defenseman look a lot better than they actually are

Its scary to imagine how good we can be if we resign Huet, bring over Alzner and a veteran servicable d-man. Caps with suffocating defense? I'm thinking Stanley Cup.

Return to Washington Capitals