ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: NFL 24-25 Offseason Thread - Draft Day is upon us

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,442

Re: OT: NFL 24-25 Offseason Thread - Draft Day is upon us 

Post#181 » by DOT » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:48 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
DOT wrote:Well, Dan Orlovsky thinks y'all f*cked up not taking McCarthy, so that's probably a good sign lol

That man is the greatest QB in UConn history and it's not even close

Fun fact, he threw 84 TDs as a Husky. 2nd most in a career is Bryant Shirreffs with 30. Career, not in a season.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 37,456

Post#182 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:48 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
there has got to be a QB to draft...

Well, I mean, yeah that too :lol:

So I'm thinking we should go DB in Round 2 to get Tae's bookend corner buddy. Or maybe DT for depth?

yes a CB, DL, or a RB (I know they like Benson a lot).

I'm fine waiting til RD 3 for a RB. CB and additional DL depth (I'm thinking about doing what Philly does, have multiple bodies that can constantly rotate in so Dex doesn't get gassed) are critical.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Strick
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,539

Post#183 » by Strick » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:50 pm

Day 2 do you think we draft Spencer Rattler or Michael Pratt? Both have intriguing traits and obviously some flaws. I think the drop off between them and someone like Nix who went 12th is minimal, if any.

Still have plenty of holes to address though
RGM Knicks BAF- Minnesota Timberwolves

PG: Coby|Ivey|Bones
SG: Monk|Dinwiddie|Smith Jr
SF: B Miller|Jalen J|Cissoko
PF: Paolo|Obi|Walker
C: SenGOON|Koloko|____
Ghetto Gospel
Veteran
And1: 2,649

Post#184 » by Ghetto Gospel » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:55 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Ghetto Gospel wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
I think that Hyatt, Robinson, Bellinger and JMS are gonna develop well. Belton and Hawkins I'm not sure about.

i think hyatt and robinson will be alright and have a place in the league. i'm just wondering whether or not the guys we drafted will be above average starters in the league, which is the caliber of players we need to be back in the playoffs.

i think JMS has the best shot of that group of 6 to be that. hyatt and robinson feel more situational deep ball (MVS) and slot possession (cole beasley) kind of guys.

I think JMS has the highest upside position wise.

Adding an elite talent like Nabers will open up a lot of opportunities for Robinson and Hyatt. I think we've got the basis for a dangerous WR room in the future.

What's your opinion on Bellinger? Especially with Waller looking like he's going off the rails

he doesn't seem open very often, but he is a nice blocker so i'd guess he's fine as our 2nd TE in 2 TE sets. that said, i'm not sure we need a great TE if we have a great receiver which is what we're hoping nabers is. like i'm not sure TE is even really a position in today's game, modern TEs these days like kelce are closer to slot/in-line receivers
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,986

Post#185 » by mpharris36 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:57 pm

Strick wrote:Day 2 do you think we draft Spencer Rattler or Michael Pratt? Both have intriguing traits and obviously some flaws. I think the drop off between them and someone like Nix who went 12th is minimal, if any.

Rattler didn't have a really good college career and is on the small side. Unless they thinking he has some crazy upside probably not a good idea to waste a mid round pick on a QB which they don't really hit there.

Especially a 2nd or 3rd rounder which can be starters form day 1 at some key positions we need.
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,986

Post#186 » by mpharris36 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:58 pm

Read on Twitter

this tweet was really funny to me :lol:
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,685

Post#187 » by Deeeez Knicks » Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:11 pm

cgmw wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:My perspective.

I can't blame them for trying for the QB they really wanted (obviously it was Maye).

Whats a bit confusing is why were there so many leaks that the Giants either were trying to trade up or were close if the Pats really had no interest in trading the pick (which also makes no sense if they thought Maye was a franchise QB...why even listen to offers)?

But I can't be upset at the Nabers pick or the QB's that went after the pick. You can't just pick a QB if you don't love a QB. They obviously targeted the QB's they really wanted Daniels and Maye (reported they liked Daniels the most which I can't blame). So they pivoted once they couldn't secure a QB they desired to picking BPA available which you can't blame them.

If anything this is more reason when you need a QB to "tank" harder.

But Nabers should be a special talent...but the QB room is still in flux. I guess they are still going to role with Daniel Jones and I have always thought he is a solid/good QB if the situation around him is solid. But the injuries scare the sh*t out of me and tough to fully plan for him as the QB for the future.

Hard to say which of those leaks were even true or where they came from. Maybe the intent was just to cause confusion. Or maybe just made up stuff for clicks.

Imo, the price to get to to the top 3 was probably just insane if possible at all

Two things have bugged me as a casual Giants/NFL fan.

1) Nonstop media coverage of the draft for damn near 3 months as if the draft was always tomorrow —- the false sense of urgency and importance driven by Disney’s desperate need to sell ads just didn’t work for me.

2) The G-Men can’t protect a QB. Why draft another QB? Let Jones either earn that huge contract or die trying until the line gets fixed. It’s insane to think drafting Drake Maye would somehow elevate this franchise to contender when odds are Drake Maye would be just another high priced pancake left for dead on the Meadowlands artificial turf.

The “Draft a QB” storyline was just hot air media coverage pumping up an already over-inflated media event. BPA or the best OT was the right move all along.

Yea, any rookie QB they draft is going to be put in a position to fail because the roster is so bad. Of course if there's someone you love you take them. But a lot of these guys were just way too questionable and this isn't a great spot for development at the moment. Too many Daniel Jones, Zach Wilson 2.0 options. They can sit out but you also lose a year of service

Build up the line, add some weapons and be more aggressive next year would be my thoughts.... Especially when someone like Nabers is there.

Agree 100% on the draft coverage too... In the end it's a lot closer to what people thought 3 months ago. Just a lot of wasted time and speculation
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
Ghetto Gospel
Veteran

Post#188 » by Ghetto Gospel » Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:15 pm

i will say, im a little disappointed the eagles got quinyon mitchell

he might catch more balls from daniel jones than nabers when they face off against each other
Strick
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,539

Post#189 » by Strick » Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:22 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
Strick wrote:Day 2 do you think we draft Spencer Rattler or Michael Pratt? Both have intriguing traits and obviously some flaws. I think the drop off between them and someone like Nix who went 12th is minimal, if any.

Rattler didn't have a really good college career and is on the small side. Unless they thinking he has some crazy upside probably not a good idea to waste a mid round pick on a QB which they don't really hit there.

Especially a 2nd or 3rd rounder which can be starters form day 1 at some key positions we need.

Yeah, he came out of HS and seemed extremely immature. He got bounced out of the role for Caleb Williams and then transferred to a South Carolina team that wasn’t very good at all.

I think that experience humbled him a lot and playing at SC was probably very beneficial for him playing in a pro-style offense. He has some interesting tools and had some really good flashes but definitely question marks.

Pratt is someone I’m really interested in as a 3rd-4th round guy ideally. Has decent enough mobility, good production, and actually beat Caleb Williams in a bowl game not this year but the year prior.

He has some flaws but he is someone who isn’t going to only look at check downs. He likes throwing downfield and would be better suited for guys like Nabers and Hyatt.

That being said, I agree 100% unless they feel really good about them it’s hard to pass up guys who likely could be starters or key contributors year 1
RGM Knicks BAF- Minnesota Timberwolves

PG: Coby|Ivey|Bones
SG: Monk|Dinwiddie|Smith Jr
SF: B Miller|Jalen J|Cissoko
PF: Paolo|Obi|Walker
C: SenGOON|Koloko|____
Ghetto Gospel
Veteran

Post#190 » by Ghetto Gospel » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:20 pm

the other plus to this is finally having a good receiver to throw to in madden. its been miserable playing with the giants lately
Ghetto Gospel
Veteran

Post#191 » by Ghetto Gospel » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:30 pm

i also dont want to hear any more excuses for daniel jones this year, he has a legit weapon now
Ghetto Gospel
Veteran

Post#192 » by Ghetto Gospel » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:48 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
We need to build a team and that requires stockpiling talent. We can draft our QB next offseason.

there has got to be a QB to draft...

Well, I mean, yeah that too :lol:

So I'm thinking we should go DB in Round 2 to get Tae's bookend corner buddy. Or maybe DT for depth?

i lied, if this dude is available lets get him

Read on Twitter
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,198

Post#193 » by GONYK » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:28 pm

Read on Twitter
?t=ilT9YOXSnJNR6v85Vr0rIQ&s=19

It's never a good sign when you have to explain yourself to your boss like that
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,894

Post#194 » by Rich Rane » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:46 pm

Ghetto Gospel wrote:i also dont want to hear any more excuses for daniel jones this year, he has a legit weapon now

How's your o-line looking?
Ghetto Gospel
Veteran

Post#195 » by Ghetto Gospel » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:22 pm

Rich Rane wrote:
Ghetto Gospel wrote:i also dont want to hear any more excuses for daniel jones this year, he has a legit weapon now

not great but if you're that dude you shouldn't need good weapons and a good o-line to play well
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,894

Post#196 » by Rich Rane » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:32 pm

Ghetto Gospel wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:

not great but if you're that dude you shouldn't need good weapons and a good o-line to play well

Hmm even Mahomes and Hurts have good o-lines. Not saying they'd absolutely suck, but they would not be as great behind the Giants (and my Jets) o-line last season.
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 62,049

Post#197 » by F N 11 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:50 pm

Same people that was crying about QB would have been crying about not being able to pick today lol.
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
Ghetto Gospel
Veteran

Post#198 » by Ghetto Gospel » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:53 pm

Rich Rane wrote:
Ghetto Gospel wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:

Hmm even Mahomes and Hurts have good o-lines. Not saying they'd absolutely suck, but they would not be as great behind the Giants (and my Jets) o-line last season.

i don't disagree with that. but we have seen qbs play well without a good o-line and really good qbs protecting their o-line by getting the ball out quick when needed
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,356

Post#199 » by Luv those Knicks » Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:44 pm

Bills and Pats probably draft WR. Don't know about Cards.
When the going gets tough, the refs get going.
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,685

Post#200 » by Deeeez Knicks » Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:53 pm

Wrs flying off the board
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome