ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: justice league trailer, they went full marvel

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

AmazingJason
RealGM
And1: 6,142

Re: OT: justice league trailer, they went full marvel 

Post#141 » by AmazingJason » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:35 pm

N8isScofield wrote:I find it mildly hilarious that the only people complaining about the looks of a character created for women are men. Think about that for a second. I have yet to hear a woman complain about her weight or her acting ability because weight is not and never has been the source of the character's power. As far as acting ability goes, Brad Pitt can't act but he's made an ok career for himself. George Clooney can't act either, he's doing fine. Obviously someone thinks Gal Gadot can act because she keeps getting working outside of WW and was the only thing about BvS that was almost universally enjoyed except by some dudes who have no actual criticism of her performance (despite the fact that she apparently can't act) but want to complain about her weight. :roll:

Eh, I don't think it's a gender thing. If Barry Allen was roided out, people would complain about that. But of course, it's going to be men who make these complaints. 99% of RealGMers are male. And the vast majority of the people who are this obsessed with superhero movies are male.

I was a huge (closet) fan of Fifty Shades of Grey and the same thing happened there, too. Women complained FURIOUSLY that Christian and Anastasia were badly casted because they looked nothing like how they were portrayed in the books. Christian was supposed to be devastatingly good-looking and Ana was supposed to look youthful and doe-eyed. Instead they got some regular dude off the street and a tall, waifish model type with a mature, older-looking face.
BAT 18.0 - MINNESOTA TIMBERWOLVES

El Poochio - POBO
Amazing Jason - Assistant to the VPOBO

PG: Lonzo Ball/Dennis Smith Jr.
SG: Donovan Mitchell/R. McGruder
SF: Jaylen Brown/Josh Jackson
PF: Jayson Tatum/T. Booker
C: Joel Embiid/McGee
IllmaticHandler
RealGM
And1: 23,325

Post#142 » by IllmaticHandler » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:38 pm

N8isScofield wrote:I find it mildly hilarious that the only people complaining about the looks of a character created for women are men. Think about that for a second. I have yet to hear a woman complain about her weight or her acting ability because weight is not and never has been the source of the character's power. As far as acting ability goes, Brad Pitt can't act but he's made an ok career for himself. George Clooney can't act either, he's doing fine. Obviously someone thinks Gal Gadot can act because she keeps getting working outside of WW and was the only thing about BvS that was almost universally enjoyed except by some dudes who have no actual criticism of her performance (despite the fact that she apparently can't act) but want to complain about her weight. :roll:

This comment makes no sense :lol: . We are talking about super heroes here man, a male dominated genre. Who you think made WW POPULAR IN THE FIRST PLACE. It was men. We are on a Basketball board with the majority of men.
IllmaticHandler
RealGM

Post#143 » by IllmaticHandler » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:47 pm

AmazingJason wrote:

Eh, I don't think it's a gender thing. If Barry Allen was roided out, people would complain about that. But of course, it's going to be men who make these complaints. 99% of RealGMers are male. And the vast majority of the people who are this obsessed with superhero movies are male.

I was a huge (closet) fan of Fifty Shades of Grey and the same thing happened there, too. Women complained FURIOUSLY that Christian and Anastasia were badly casted because they looked nothing like how they were portrayed in the books. Christian was supposed to be devastatingly good-looking and Ana was supposed to look youthful and doe-eyed. Instead they got some regular dude off the street and a tall, waifish model type with a mature, older-looking face.

This poster has no argument.

There was a big disappointment in the way Apocalypse looked on here as well. If heads dont feel it fits, they speak on it. All things get analyzed in these comic book threads. It has nothing to do with gender at all.
kane
Head Coach
And1: 2,350

Post#144 » by kane » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:52 pm

N8isScofield wrote:I find it mildly hilarious that the only people complaining about the looks of a character created for women are men. Think about that for a second. I have yet to hear a woman complain about her weight or her acting ability because weight is not and never has been the source of the character's power. As far as acting ability gben oes, Brad Pitt can't act but he's made an ok career for himself. George Clooney can't act either, he's doing fine. Obviously someone thinks Gal Gadot can act because she keeps getting working outside of WW and was the only thing about BvS that was almost universally enjoyed except by some dudes who have no actual criticism of her performance (despite the fact that she apparently can't act) but want to complain about her weight. :roll:

wait so you think gal gadot is a better actress then pitt and clooney are actors?..... based off what lmao

btw pitt has ben nominated for 3 oscars and id put se7en fight club snatch and inglourious basterds pretty high on my list of fav movies he had a lead or a major part on, George Clooney acually won a oscar and 3 other noms all for acting and these guys cant act but gal can LMAO :crazy:

do you know why most actress cant find work after 40? its not because there isnt as many parts for older women thats partly true but the reason they got parts in the first place was based on their looks NOT acting talent and once those go so does their career
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,129

Post#145 » by moocow007 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:58 pm

Speaking of male dominated (and potentially sexually repressed as a result)...I actually had some posters that thought I was a female early on. Must have assumed that since "cow" is a female that I was one as well. Some of the IM's I was getting would make you LOL.
N8isScofield
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,498

Post#146 » by N8isScofield » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:27 pm

kane wrote:
N8isScofield wrote:I find it mildly hilarious that the only people complaining about the looks of a character created for women are men. Think about that for a second. I have yet to hear a woman complain about her weight or her acting ability because weight is not and never has been the source of the character's power. As far as acting ability gben oes, Brad Pitt can't act but he's made an ok career for himself. George Clooney can't act either, he's doing fine. Obviously someone thinks Gal Gadot can act because she keeps getting working outside of WW and was the only thing about BvS that was almost universally enjoyed except by some dudes who have no actual criticism of her performance (despite the fact that she apparently can't act) but want to complain about her weight. :roll:

wait so you think gal gadot is a better actress then pitt and clooney are actors?..... based off what lmao

btw pitt has ben nominated for 3 oscars and id put se7en fight club snatch and inglourious basterds pretty high on my list of fav movies he had a lead or a major part on, George Clooney acually won a oscar and 3 other noms all for acting and these guys cant act but gal can LMAO :crazy:

do you know why most actress cant find work after 40? its not because there isnt as many parts for older women thats partly true but the reason they got parts in the first place was based on their looks NOT acting talent and once those go so does their career

You reached hard there. I didn't say she was a better actor. I said they coudn't act. Winning an Oscar means nothing. Jennifer Hudson has an Oscar. Mo'Nique has an Oscar. Neither of them will ever be nominated let alone win again but it took damn near 20 years for Leo to win one when he should probably have 3 or 4. Neither of them has or ever will approach he level of the worst performance Leo put in. So don't use the Oscars. Clooney plays himself in every movie and Snatch is the only movie I've ever seen Brad Pitt exhibit any actual range in. I don't dislike them but to me they are not good actors. I'm not even saying Gal is a good actress but people in here are saying that she automatically can't act because she was a model. So f*cking what? Olga Kurylenkno was a model and she's turned into a good actress. Actresses model as well. One doesn't preclude you from the other. Nobody can point to an actual flaw in her performance as WW thus far except for her weight. What that says to me is that you don't have a valid case and you're hiding behind the "she can't act" to make it look like you're not putting way too much emphasis on her weight.
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,419
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#147 » by E-Balla » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:32 pm

Wonder Woman was a character created by a man who's idea is female empowerment was bondage and her one weakness was being put in bondage by men. Also are you comparing Gal Gadot to Clooney and Pitt? Seriously? Those two are good actors (actually Pitt is one of the best to ever do it) and Gal Gadot is a model. She's a terrible casting. Can't act and she doesn't look the part.

EDIT: Also no one talked about Gal Gadot's acting because the movie was so bad in so many ways that one fight scene containing her character was one of the best parts of the movie. Before then there were a few times she fumbled lines and mumbled something I couldn't hear in a quiet theater. When a movie is so bad in so many ways no one is going to mention a minor character that didn't really advance the plot in anyway.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,129

Post#148 » by moocow007 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:12 pm

E-Balla wrote:

Wonder Woman was a character created by a man who's idea is female empowerment was bondage and get one weakness was being put in bondage by men. Also are you comparing Gal Gadot to Clooney and Pitt? Seriously? Those two are good actors (actually Pitt is one of the best to ever do it) and Gal Gadot is a model. She's a terrible casting. Can't act and she doesn't look the part.

That is true. The Wonder Woman creator William Marston was reputedly heavy into bondage, male submissiveness and the female as the 'master' who would punish or otherwise put her male counterparts under foot.
N8isScofield
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,498

Post#149 » by N8isScofield » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:40 pm

moocow007 wrote:
E-Balla wrote:

Wonder Woman was a character created by a man who's idea is female empowerment was bondage and get one weakness was being put in bondage by men. Also are you comparing Gal Gadot to Clooney and Pitt? Seriously? Those two are good actors (actually Pitt is one of the best to ever do it) and Gal Gadot is a model. She's a terrible casting. Can't act and she doesn't look the part.

That is true. The Wonder Woman creator William Marston was reputedly heavy into bondage, male submissiveness and the female as the 'master' who would punish or otherwise put her male counterparts under foot.

Yes and I really don't want to beat a dead horse here moo because I understand and respect that everyone has their opinion. The last thing I'll say as regards to the creator's intentions or preferences is that it doesn't really matter why he created her. His preferences don't change what she means to women. What matters is that over her 75 year history, Wonder Woman has become an iconic character for female empowerment. That can't be disputed. This character matters to a lot of women of all ages for a number of reasons none of which have anything to do with Marston's kinks. I just think it's unfortunate that a lot of men have chosen to isolate one particular quality of the character that really has no part in making WW the symbol that she is to gripe about. There's more to the character than how much she weighs. The reception has been almost universally positive because Gal Gadot seems to have brought all of the important symbolic qualities to the table. It just seems kind of silly to me to gripe about something superficial (and again there are plenty of incarnations of WW who have Gal's body type) when the group of people this character means the most to seem to love this version.
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,419
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#150 » by E-Balla » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:18 am

N8isScofield wrote:
moocow007 wrote:
E-Balla wrote:Wonder Woman was a character created by a man who's idea is female empowerment was bondage and get one weakness was being put in bondage by men. Also are you comparing Gal Gadot to Clooney and Pitt? Seriously? Those two are good actors (actually Pitt is one of the best to ever do it) and Gal Gadot is a model. She's a terrible casting. Can't act and she doesn't look the part.

Yes and I really don't want to beat a dead horse here moo because I understand and respect that everyone has their opinion. The last thing I'll say as regards to the creator's intentions or preferences is that it doesn't really matter why he created her. His preferences don't change what she means to women. What matters is that over her 75 year history, Wonder Woman has become an iconic character for female empowerment. That can't be disputed. This character matters to a lot of women of all ages for a number of reasons none of which have anything to do with Marston's kinks. I just think it's unfortunate that a lot of men have chosen to isolate one particular quality of the character that really has no part in making WW the symbol that she is to gripe about. There's more to the character than how much she weighs. The reception has been almost universally positive because Gal Gadot seems to have brought all of the important symbolic qualities to the table. It just seems kind of silly to me to gripe about something superficial (and again there are plenty of incarnations of WW who have Gal's body type) when the group of people this character means the most to seem to love this version.

1. The reception to Gal Gadot being casted was terrible. Everyone hated it.

2. She hasn't been in a real role yet for people to say they liked her either. She was one of the best parts of BVS because she smiled for Pete's sake people were looking for anything to grab onto in that terrible movie.

3. There's nothing superficial about it. If you're not getting either an completely unknown actress or a good actress at least get one that looks like Wonder Woman. It's that simple. If Gal Gadot was a great actress I wouldn't have an issue but she's not.

4. There's no incarnation of Wonder Woman with Gal's body type. She's super model built and extremely skinny.

You can like the casting but you tried to act as if not liking an actress that can't act and doesn't look the part is a bad thing.
AmazingJason
RealGM
And1: 6,142

Post#151 » by AmazingJason » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:30 am

Just watched the Dr. Strange trailer again and got goosebumps.

Inception meets Batman Begins meets the Matrix :o :o :o :o :o
BAT 18.0 - MINNESOTA TIMBERWOLVES

El Poochio - POBO
Amazing Jason - Assistant to the VPOBO

PG: Lonzo Ball/Dennis Smith Jr.
SG: Donovan Mitchell/R. McGruder
SF: Jaylen Brown/Josh Jackson
PF: Jayson Tatum/T. Booker
C: Joel Embiid/McGee
Smash3
RealGM
And1: 9,931

Post#152 » by Smash3 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:39 am

Lol, yeah like the other poster said.. If the next Spiderman is fat we shouldn´t worry about something as superficial as his looks, at least he represents all the qualities of Peter Parker from the comics right? :lol: :lol:
G: James Harden | Kris Dunn
G: Zach LaVine | Reggie Jackson
F: Josh Richardson | Nassir Little
F: Paul George | Otto Porter
C: Jakob Poeltl | Bismack Biyombo
Oscirus
RealGM
And1: 9,306

Post#153 » by Oscirus » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:00 am

James Marsden was in Superman Returns and X-Men at the same time, Ryan Reynolds was GL and Deadpool at the same time, Jonah Hex is the ultimate big bad of the Marvel cinematic universe, Fassbender was in Jonah Hex while also being Magneto, and Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje is in Thor and Suicide Squad.

James Marsden's cyclops died at about the same time Superman came out and even then, his participation in Superman caused xmen to shorten his role. Deadpool was technically dead until they revived it a couple years ago. Burke died a year before xmen first class came out. Algrim also died before Suicide squad.

My favorite miscast was Jack Reacher being played by Tom Cruise. Any person who's read those books knows that Tom Cruise is not even close to pulling off such a character.
Jimmit79 wrote:At this point I want RJ to get paid
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,797

Re: RE: Re: OT: justice league trailer, they went full marvel 

Post#154 » by UcanUwill » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:25 am

Smash3 wrote:Lol, yeah like the other poster said.. If the next Spiderman is fat we shouldn´t worry about something as superficial as his looks, at least he represents all the qualities of Peter Parker from the comics right? :lol: :lol:

Except WW is not even that big or muscular. She looks a lot like a model actually and her strenght comes from her goddess powers, not from some crossfit program lol. Gal looks a lot like a WW I know, and I know you can find pics where WW looks meaty as hell, most of it is not cannon but drawen by horny fan artists.
Oscirus
RealGM
And1: 9,306

Post#155 » by Oscirus » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:41 am

So the wonder women that support your view are real while the ones that don't are mostly fake?
Jimmit79 wrote:At this point I want RJ to get paid
IllmaticHandler
RealGM

Post#156 » by IllmaticHandler » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:00 am

Anyone that keeps talking they Know Comics and Love Wonder Woman knows she is closer to this kind of Frame than the actress that was picked. Its really futile to keep making it seem that posters are saying that they want her all bulky and big. This type of frame is not Bulky. Its the RIGHT SIZE.

Like I said. Amazon Women are not the frame of women we are used to seeing in models and those body types. They are imposing women.

If you dont think Wonder Woman is Closer to this kind of Frame, you just dont know wonder woman.

NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Post#157 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:01 am

Oscirus wrote:My favorite miscast was Jack Reacher being played by Tom Cruise. Any person who's read those books knows that Tom Cruise is not even close to pulling off such a character.

I was just talking with my girlfriend about Reacher and Cruise. Jack is supposed to be like 6'5 240...Cruise is 5'7 at best. Should have hired me instead.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#158 » by UcanUwill » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:31 am

Speaking about bad casting, I am really not a fan of Henry Cawill at all. Absolutely terrible writting and directing dont help I guess, but i am really not a fan of his Superman. And its coming from the guy who loved Brandon Routh. This cinematic universe feels the most elseworldly mainly because of this fake Superman. Only my opinion.
IllmaticHandler
RealGM

Post#159 » by IllmaticHandler » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:06 am

UcanUwill wrote:Speaking about bad casting, I am really not a fan of Henry Cawill at all. Absolutely terrible writting and directing dont help I guess, but i am really not a fan of his Superman. And its coming from the guy who loved Brandon Routh. This cinematic universe feels the most elseworldly mainly because of this fake Superman. Only my opinion.

I can see your point, cause Super Man is kinda supposed to be the "head" of the Universe. And if he is not right, everything else is really not 'right' all the way.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#160 » by UcanUwill » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:31 pm

Oscirus wrote:So the wonder women that support your view are real while the ones that don't are mostly fake?

This is cannon wonder woman by David Finch.

I mean she is bulkier, but not by that much. Its definitely not worth thiis conversation, not to mention since almost everyone is bulkier in the comics compared to their live action counterparts. She is also more ripped in the comics, but thats just comics tradition, almost everyone has ridiculous muscle tone there.
I really don't see the problem with Gal Gadot at all.

Return to New York Knicks