ImageImageImageImageImage

2023 New York Yankees Thread

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 38,279

Re: 2023 New York Yankees Thread 

Post#1321 » by MrDollarBills » Thu May 16, 2024 12:12 pm

If you can play ball, conduct yourself like a professional day to day, work hard, and don't do crazy stuff like beat/assault women or abuse kids, I don't care what you look like, what your facial hair is like, how many tats or chains you rock. Let's win games. I never understood this stuff.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1322 » by MrDollarBills » Thu May 16, 2024 12:17 pm

Rich Rane wrote:
knicks94 wrote:I don't get how fans place so much emphasis on the way players interact with the public on social media to the point that they don't want a particular player to be on their team. When the Yankees went out and signed Stroman I could care less about what he said or how he behaved on Twitter as I never felt the need of being interested in his personal life. All I cared about was whether he would help improve a depleted Yankee rotation at the time. Interesting how many people have changed their opinion on him now that he is contributing to the success of their team.

Wait, what happened? What did Stroman do?

Stroman spoke up about racism on social media and how it's prevalent in fan interactions with MLB players of color and a certain segment of society didn't like the Black Puerto Rican man speaking the truth.

Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,989

Post#1323 » by Rich Rane » Thu May 16, 2024 12:22 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:If you can play ball, conduct yourself like a professional day to day, work hard, and don't do crazy stuff like beat/assault women or abuse kids, I don't care what you look like, what your facial hair is like, how many tats or chains you rock. Let's win games. I never understood this stuff.

I actually admittedly put in a lot of stock into off the field stuff, especially the last few years. It's why I could never fully support a guy like Domingo German even when he pitched a perfect game last year on a team that didn't have much to cheer for.
knicks94
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,093

Post#1324 » by knicks94 » Thu May 16, 2024 12:27 pm

Rich Rane wrote:
knicks94 wrote:I don't get how fans place so much emphasis on the way players interact with the public on social media to the point that they don't want a particular player to be on their team. When the Yankees went out and signed Stroman I could care less about what he said or how he behaved on Twitter as I never felt the need of being interested in his personal life. All I cared about was whether he would help improve a depleted Yankee rotation at the time. Interesting how many people have changed their opinion on him now that he is contributing to the success of their team.

Wait, what happened? What did Stroman do?

I believe he criticized the Yankees on Twitter when they didn't acquire him a few years back and he had the tendency to block people from his page. Many Yankee fans held a grudge against him because of this and were bothered when we signed him.
knicks94
Lead Assistant

Post#1325 » by knicks94 » Thu May 16, 2024 12:38 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
knicks94 wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:Yeah i dunno what the fuss was about. Stroman has been an absolute professional. They made it seemed like this dude was a criminal or something. Is it the tats and durag under the cap that set them off? Probably.

Either way, the train keeps on rolling.

I'm sure had he looked as clean cut and friendly face as Brett Gardner fans would have welcomed him with open arms.

Yeah, we don't need to get into it deeply but there's a reason why my late Uncle, God rest his soul, did not like the Yankees or the fans (he was a Mets fan, and it was because of racial stuff back in the day that he hated the Yankees).

Me, I grew up in the hood so I love having dudes with an edge on this team that just show up, be themselves, and put in work. Verdugo, Stroman, Soto...all my kinds of people :lol:

I could completely understand that. My grandfather used to get run out of the baseball fields by 116th st and 1st avenue in East Harlem during the 1950's because he came from the islands and could barely speak English at the time. Thankfully by the time my generation came along the area had dramatically changed.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1326 » by MrDollarBills » Thu May 16, 2024 12:38 pm

Rich Rane wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:If you can play ball, conduct yourself like a professional day to day, work hard, and don't do crazy stuff like beat/assault women or abuse kids, I don't care what you look like, what your facial hair is like, how many tats or chains you rock. Let's win games. I never understood this stuff.

I actually admittedly put in a lot of stock into off the field stuff, especially the last few years. It's why I could never fully support a guy like Domingo German even when he pitched a perfect game last year on a team that didn't have much to cheer for.

I'm with you, I draw a hard line there. I can't support dudes who beat women up.

If someone is a little loose per say, likes to party or whatever, I don't care as long as you're not doing crazy stuff like DUIs and it's not impacting on field play. But abuse? There should be absolutely zero tolerance.

I hope German received help for his anger and substance abuse issues, but no thanks.

If Stroman's worst 'problems' are his outspokeness on social media and being tatted up and Black, I do not care.

Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets

Post#1327 » by Rich Rane » Thu May 16, 2024 12:44 pm

I just wasn't exactly thrilled when the Yankees signed Strowman because he wasn't exactly amazing post-All-Star break and when he returned from injury. Glad to have been proven wrong so far for the most part.

Cashman looks pretty smart so far. I wanted two pitchers in the offseason to push Schmidt to the bullpen. Cole went down and he stuck with Gil, who was coming off TJS. They're arguably the 2 best pitchers on the roster, which is saying a lot since Rodon and Stroman are having good starts to the season.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1328 » by MrDollarBills » Thu May 16, 2024 5:43 pm

knicks94 wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
knicks94 wrote:
I'm sure had he looked as clean cut and friendly face as Brett Gardner fans would have welcomed him with open arms.

Yeah, we don't need to get into it deeply but there's a reason why my late Uncle, God rest his soul, did not like the Yankees or the fans (he was a Mets fan, and it was because of racial stuff back in the day that he hated the Yankees).

Me, I grew up in the hood so I love having dudes with an edge on this team that just show up, be themselves, and put in work. Verdugo, Stroman, Soto...all my kinds of people :lol:

I could completely understand that. My grandfather used to get run out of the baseball fields by 116th st and 1st avenue in East Harlem during the 1950's because he came from the islands and could barely speak English at the time. Thankfully by the time my generation came along the area had dramatically changed.

Yeah my Uncle was from the islands as well, he came here in the 50s. Big baseball fan, but he didn't like the Yankees because of his experiences with the fans and the fact that the Yankees were one of the last 4 teams to integrate.

Pop quiz: guess who was the last team to integrate?

When the Mets started up in '62 he immediately became a fan and was a diehard until he passed away in 2012. He took me to Shea stadium several times as a kid once he realized I liked baseball, but he couldn't convert me from the Yankees. However, I have a special place in my heart for the Mets because of him so I was glad when the team was purchased by Steve Cohen, because Unc hated the previous owners when he was alive.

:cry: f*ck. Getting old sucks. I wish he was still here so I could talk trash to him.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1329 » by MrDollarBills » Thu May 16, 2024 5:45 pm

Rich Rane wrote:I just wasn't exactly thrilled when the Yankees signed Strowman because he wasn't exactly amazing post-All-Star break and when he returned from injury. Glad to have been proven wrong so far for the most part.

Cashman looks pretty smart so far. I wanted two pitchers in the offseason to push Schmidt to the bullpen. Cole went down and he stuck with Gil, who was coming off TJS. They're arguably the 2 best pitchers on the roster, which is saying a lot since Rodon and Stroman are having good starts to the season.

Yeah I don't wanna give that ass hole praise, but he constructed a bullpen that can take us far if we stay healthy. The fact that we're getting this kind of pitching with Cole coming back is exciting tbh. We've got the tools offensively and pitching wise to make a run.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1330 » by MrDollarBills » Thu May 16, 2024 7:26 pm

Another shutout. Lmaoooooo

Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets

Post#1331 » by Rich Rane » Thu May 16, 2024 7:30 pm

Absolute gem from Schmidt. 8 shutout innings, 8 Ks, 0 BBs on 103 pitches.

Volpe extended a 9-game hitting streak with a leadoff homer today. Judge is locked in.

Great sweep against a hot team going into the series for Win #30. Nestor needs to bounce back at home tomorrow against the White Sox, who have picked up their play after a really horrendous start.
knicks94
Lead Assistant

Post#1332 » by knicks94 » Thu May 16, 2024 7:57 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
knicks94 wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

Yeah my Uncle was from the islands as well, he came here in the 50s. Big baseball fan, but he didn't like the Yankees because of his experiences with the fans and the fact that the Yankees were one of the last 4 teams to integrate.

When the Mets started up in '62 he immediately became a fan and was a diehard until he passed away in 2012. He took me to Shea stadium several times as a kid once he realized I liked baseball, but he couldn't convert me from the Yankees. However, I have a special place in my heart for the Mets because of him so I was glad when the team was purchased by Steve Cohen, because Unc hated the previous owners when he was alive.

:cry: f*ck. Getting old sucks. I wish he was still here so I could talk trash to him.

Sorry for your loss. My grandfather passed in 2010 and my paternal one passed in 2012. Both of them were Yankee fans, and weren't Mets haters like me. I sort of envied my maternal grandfather because he was at YS when Mickey Mantle hit that walkoff homerun against Kansas City that nearly left the stadium.

I believe the last team to integrate was the Red Sox.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1333 » by MrDollarBills » Thu May 16, 2024 7:59 pm

knicks94 wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
knicks94 wrote:

Sorry for your loss. My grandfather passed in 2010 and my paternal one passed in 2012. Both of them were Yankee fans, and weren't Mets haters like me. I sort of envied my maternal grandfather because he was at YS when Mickey Mantle hit that walkoff homerun against Kansas City that nearly left the stadium.

I believe the last team to integrate was the Red Sox.

Sorry for your loss as well my friend. It's cool we at least got to share our love for baseball with the old timers before they went on to rest.

And bingo, Red Sox were the last team to integrate. And no one is surprised :lol:!!!!

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1334 » by MrDollarBills » Thu May 16, 2024 8:01 pm

Rich Rane wrote:Absolute gem from Schmidt. 8 shutout innings, 8 Ks, 0 BBs on 103 pitches.

Volpe extended a 9-game hitting streak with a leadoff homer today. Judge is locked in.

Great sweep against a hot team going into the series for Win #30. Nestor needs to bounce back at home tomorrow against the White Sox, who have picked up their play after a really horrendous start.

I didn't think we'd smash Minnesota like this honestly. We racked up a ton of hits too

Nestor better get his ass in gear, we've got a Death Star to build, and rebels to crush

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1335 » by MrDollarBills » Thu May 16, 2024 9:15 pm

Read on Twitter

HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 56,626

Post#1336 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu May 16, 2024 10:53 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Read on Twitter

Soto's going to test free agency. There's no doubt about that, unless Hank signs a check for $750 million. And even then, I'm not so sure. :lol:
Free Palestine
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 15,106

Post#1337 » by KnicksGadfly » Thu May 16, 2024 11:44 pm

If I was a Twins’ fan, I would absolutely hate the Yankees…and I don’t even blame them for it
Davis18
Pro Prospect
And1: 779

Post#1338 » by Davis18 » Fri May 17, 2024 4:25 am

Clark Schmidt.. next Logan Webb and Luis Gil.. next Luis Castillo.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1339 » by MrDollarBills » Fri May 17, 2024 6:57 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Read on Twitter

Soto's going to test free agency. There's no doubt about that, unless Hank signs a check for $750 million. And even then, I'm not so sure. :lol:

Boras isn't talking to Hal until the winter and they know it. I don't believe a word out of Hal's mouth.

HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 56,626

Post#1340 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri May 17, 2024 7:09 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Read on Twitter

Boras isn't talking to Hal until the winter and they know it. I don't believe a word out of Hal's mouth.

Soto’s like, yeah I’ll let Hal drive the price up even before the bidding has begun. :lol:
Free Palestine

Return to New York Knicks