ImageImageImageImageImage

Shams: Knicks preparing to offer Thibs an extension

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

Would you extend thibs?

Yes
73%
No
27%

Total votes: 101

NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 42,102

Re: Shams: Knicks preparing to offer Thibs an extension 

Post#141 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Sun May 19, 2024 10:07 pm

We will never ever have a healthy team with him as our coach.
god shammgod wrote:bring back ihart
knickabocker88
Head Coach
And1: 2,002

Post#142 » by knickabocker88 » Sun May 19, 2024 10:16 pm

Let him earn an extension. Consecutive years losing to an 8 seed and a 6 seed.

Give Jay Wright the bag.
Madskillzz024
Senior
And1: 442

Post#143 » by Madskillzz024 » Sun May 19, 2024 10:25 pm

Probably a good time to promote Johnny Bryant before it’s too late. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Cavs make a run at him to lure Donovan Mitchell to stay. That would be a double L
El Poochio
Knicks Forum Jose Cuervo Man
And1: 24,650

Post#144 » by El Poochio » Sun May 19, 2024 10:35 pm

Expect the no count rise a lot more, voting is not finished

B: D. Banton | J. Carter
B: K. Oubre | A. Burks
B: D. Jones Jr
B: Z. Williamson | K. Lofton Jr
B: K. Porzingis | D. Powell
Bob Ross
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,270

Post#145 » by Bob Ross » Sun May 19, 2024 10:36 pm

Keep Thibs. Most if not all of those injuries are not on him. Everyone plays a lot in the playoffs.
Red Vines
RealGM
And1: 8,776

Post#146 » by Red Vines » Sun May 19, 2024 10:43 pm

I just figure Rick Brunson is the canary in the coal mine, if his son is happy, so are probably the teammates and Thibs stays. If not he'll know and communicate that to Leon.
JayTWill
Junior
And1: 163

Post#147 » by JayTWill » Mon May 20, 2024 12:01 am

Thibs brought back that feeling of watching the Knicks in the 90's. Just hardworking scrappy teams that felt like that represented the heart and soul of the city. Unfortunately it also feels like a bit of an experiment as if you actually took a coach from the 90's and just dropped them in 2024. The game has changed and evolved so much since then but Thibs strategies and methods have not.

I don't know how anyone could watch the Spurs of the early 2010's, the Warriors and their run, the current Nuggets and even the Pacers that the Knicks just lost to and then watch Thibs offense and say it makes sense. Brunson has to work so hard to generate offense while other teams just move the ball and bodies and create so much better shots.

The team started the year with no back up power forward and a young team full of guys 6'6 and under but yet we were still playing at the slowest pace in the league. I know there are separate factions of fans here but Brunson, Randle, IQ and RJ all have the ability to generate offense. Despite having all those offensive creators combined with other guys that can handle the ball Brunson was still leading the league in time of possession in October and November.

Thibs' teams have basically had the same style of play since he began coaching. Do people really watch this team and think it can go further playing a slow, grind it out style with an offense based around 6 foot tall scoring guard and Randle taking and making difficult shots with defenses completely focused on them? If Thibs was coaching the Pacers he probably would have slowed down the pace of the team, shortened the rotation and ran almost all of the offense through Haliburton and Siakam which I believe would have made them much easier to guard.

Effort and energy can get you a lot of wins in a long grueling regular season but when everyone is playing with effort and energy in the playoffs does Thibs have the ability to take the team to another level? I just feel like I am watching Mark Jackson coaching the Warriors where he did a great job of creating a defensive identity for the team and instilling confidence in guys like Curry and Thompson but the team still had a ton of untapped potential.

They hired Kerr who sped up the pace, changed the offensive system going from bottom of the league in assists to the top of league while maintaining their great defense, getting more people involved offensively and reducing the minutes of guys like Curry in the regular season.

For the Knicks I see a team full of unselfish hardworking guys that will compete for each other no matter what but I also see one of the ugliest offenses in the league and a defense that falls apart when the pace picks up. Thibs is not a bad coach but I feel like the organization should be very open to exploring other options if they want to go to another level.

The injuries were rough this year and I won't place blame on Thibs for all of that but we can't continuously use injuries as an excuse or pretend that the team was outmatched every time as a reason for all the playoff struggles in the Thibs era. There is room for improvement in many places on the team including coaching.
KnixtapeH20
RealGM
And1: 16,499

Post#148 » by KnixtapeH20 » Mon May 20, 2024 12:04 am

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:We will never ever have a healthy team with him as our coach.

Its a **** miracle Randle has stayed healthy for as long as he has... need a deeper bench for the regular season... not having a backup and actually TRADING his only backup was asinine
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 121,214

Post#149 » by 3toheadmelo » Mon May 20, 2024 12:38 am

Once again.. it was a freak accident. Not overuse.
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,770

Post#150 » by nedleeds » Mon May 20, 2024 12:56 am

I read from a doctor on Friendster that Brunson had been taping that hand as a sign of support for his head coach. Just bad luck he broke it.
Zenzibar wrote:Nevertheless, Payton is not a finished product yet and unless the team moves him in a couple of weeks, I anticipate him trending upward with this coaching staff.
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,770

Post#151 » by nedleeds » Mon May 20, 2024 1:01 am

You guys stanning for a dEfEnSive MiNdED coach who has been going over on TJ McConnell pnrs for a week are breathtaking. He just told McBride to go over on the bus as McConnell got on.
Zenzibar wrote:Nevertheless, Payton is not a finished product yet and unless the team moves him in a couple of weeks, I anticipate him trending upward with this coaching staff.
Davis18
Pro Prospect
And1: 779

Post#152 » by Davis18 » Mon May 20, 2024 1:02 am

Thibs has done a great job to make this team respectable again.
But I think it's time for a change.
Promote Bryant or bring in updated offensive mind.
BrOnXKing1
Starter
And1: 621

Post#153 » by BrOnXKing1 » Mon May 20, 2024 1:17 am

These injuries are somewhat on Thibs, playing guys 45 mins a night with max effort is hard. He doesnt trust bench players. I would wait a yr before a extension
Grinditout
RealGM
And1: 2,543

Post#154 » by Grinditout » Mon May 20, 2024 1:52 am

These past two years have been refreshing. But how much of a leash does he get? You guys ok with 2nd round next year too, or with injuries?

Wait a bit and see what happens.
NY2k1
Starter
And1: 925

Post#155 » by NY2k1 » Mon May 20, 2024 11:03 am

Grinditout wrote:These past two years have been refreshing. But how much of a leash does he get? You guys ok with 2nd round next year too, or with injuries?

Wait a bit and see what happens.

With a healthy squad, they would have at least made the ECF and given Boston a run for their money.

Honestly, most of the injuries this season aren't/weren't on Thibs.
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 10,326

Post#156 » by Stannis » Mon May 20, 2024 11:47 am

You have to resign him.

What I think will happen though is Rose will continue to stack the roster and force Thibs to do a 10-man rotation.

The is the healthy POPO Versus HC balance of powers.
Free Palestine
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 46,225

Post#157 » by dakomish23 » Mon May 20, 2024 2:18 pm

Thibs style raises your floor but lowers your ceiling.

Generally

But something clicked this time that wasn't just players turning supernova. there is a trust and desire b/w the players & toward their coach. Idk about an extension, but I'd def give it another year together.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
Mr_President
Senior
And1: 289

Post#158 » by Mr_President » Mon May 20, 2024 2:51 pm

Adelheid wrote:i hate his style but he deserves it

I love what Thibs has done for the culture and identity of this team. Guys play hard. And for 95% of the season played defense.

But oh my god, if we don't get a top tier offensive assistant coach this summer I'm going to lose it. :banghead:
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,518

Post#159 » by GONYK » Mon May 20, 2024 2:57 pm

Mr_President wrote:
Adelheid wrote:i hate his style but he deserves it

I love what Thibs has done for the culture and identity of this team. Guys play hard. And for 95% of the season played defense.

But oh my god, if we don't get a top tier offensive assistant coach this summer I'm going to lose it. :banghead:

The Knicks had the 7th best offense in the league during the regular season and the third best offense in the league during the playoffs (after being #1 until game 4 of the Pacers series).

That's after having to revamp the entire offensive philosophy after Randle went down.
Zenzibar
General Manager
And1: 8,557

Post#160 » by Zenzibar » Mon May 20, 2024 3:15 pm

nedleeds wrote:
Zenzibar wrote:
ScienceOfLosing wrote:
I just defended Thibs’ practices against what Iron Mantis said and yet I’m critical of Thibs rotations/minutes.

Why do we have more players out and injured than any other team?
You say coincidence for the coach who players voted least wanting to play for and with all these injuries?

I say our physical style combined w short rotations is responsible. Nothing personal against Thibs. I like the coach and person.

It is analagous to imagine Indy running so much w short rotations, they’d break down too.

Thibs need to adjust next regular season so our starters are better rested for the playoffs (and still use the bench well.)

What you fail to mention is that if Jules was here, JHart will be on the bench playing 25-30 mpg. If OG was available JHart will be on the bench. Our bench has become less than formidable after the injuries.

This is not just games but practices as well. Who runs as the 2nd unit in preparation for these games?

If not for Thibs rotation, we would not have finished 2nd in the East and therefore, not have the fortune of holding game 7 @ home.

What you fail to mention is that Thibs ran Randle into the dirt for 3 years chasing nothing.

But I'm sure we can find a MD on MySpace who says repeated pounding in impact sports doesn't add up.

Your evaluation is MySpace worthy.
Stop All Genocides

Return to New York Knicks