ImageImageImageImageImage

Game Thread: New York Knicks (2nd seed) vs. Philadelphia 76ers (7th seed) Saturday, April 20th 6 p.m.

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 101,832

Re: Game Thread: New York Knicks (2nd seed) vs. Philadelphia 76ers (7th seed) Saturday, April 20th 6 p.m. 

Post#261 » by mpharris36 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:11 pm

god shammgod wrote:Someone asked my opinion so I gave it. I think they could win but the sixers are probably the favorite. I haven’t looked but I would guess the betting odds agree.

its now a pickem
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Re: Game Thread: New York Knicks (2nd seed) vs. Philadelphia 76ers (7th seed) Saturday, April 20th 6 p.m. 

Post#262 » by mpharris36 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:12 pm

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
god shammgod wrote:Someone asked my opinion so I gave it. I think they could win but the sixers are probably the favorite. I haven’t looked but I would guess the betting odds agree.

You can't give an opinion that doesn't have us winning. Like I want them to win, but I'm just skeptical because our 2nd scorer is Donte, it's not like what he does is difficult to contain in a series if you've ever watched the NBA playoffs.

its going to be difficult to contain when the Sixers don't have anyone on there roster that can defend Brunson 1 on 1.

Knicks are going to get plenty of wide open 3's...now I can't predict whether they will make them or not but if they don't leave the shooters then Brunson should be able to cook them.

That how lethal Brunson is on offense.

ROSTER

NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 42,101

Post#263 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:19 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:

You can't give an opinion that doesn't have us winning. Like I want them to win, but I'm just skeptical because our 2nd scorer is Donte, it's not like what he does is difficult to contain in a series if you've ever watched the NBA playoffs.

its going to be difficult to contain when the Sixers don't have anyone on there roster that can defend Brunson 1 on 1.

"Let him get his and stop everyone else" is a tried and true strategy in the playoffs. It has worked against even LeBron led teams where the opponent had nobody to check him yet still managed to survive his onslaught cause they shut down Mo Williams and Delonte West..

We'll see, I trust Jalen to score, but outside of him? Go look at Dontes playoff numbers with the Warriors and Bucks.
god shammgod wrote:bring back ihart
drekwins
Head Coach
And1: 4,597

Post#264 » by drekwins » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:23 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:

Knicks are going to get plenty of wide open 3's...now I can't predict whether they will make them or not but if they don't leave the shooters then Brunson should be able to cook them.

We need to put Embiid in the PnR every single time down the floor. He already struggles defending it when healthy. When injured, he has zero chance. As long as everyone is in their spots, and playing smart/under control, we are going to get every shot we want. I expect us to have a few epic runs this series.
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 128,469

Post#265 » by god shammgod » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:30 pm

if i picked teams most likely to win the championship
1 - denver
2 - boston
3 - the sixers with a healthy embiid

i might even pick the knicks 4th as i don't really believe in okc with their lack of experience or minny because they are just not that good offensively. so we're good. no doubt. unfortunately we're playing one of the 3 teams in the league that i think are just better. it sucks to get this matchup in round 1.

the betting odds on fanduel has us as the 11th most likely team to win it all. jesus. and you guys think i'm negative lol
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#266 » by mpharris36 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:31 pm

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:

"Let him get his and stop everyone else" is a tried and true strategy in the playoffs. It has worked against even LeBron led teams where the opponent had nobody to check him yet still managed to survive his onslaught cause they shut down Mo Williams and Delonte West..

We'll see, I trust Jalen to score, but outside of him? Go look at Dontes playoff numbers with the Warriors and Bucks.

I'm not saying we have this power house offensive team but we do have the #1 defense when OG is in the lineup. So we aren't going to be chasing outrageous scoring #'s from the sixers.

And yes I get your stance on Donte in the playoffs. His 1st playoff run with the bucks wasn't awful 55 TS% for a guy that wasn't really a "shooter" coming out of college. Now his playoff run with the warriors wasn't good but he was also in a different role playing less than 20 mins a night off the bench. He for sure seems like a rhythm player from what I have seen so starting and being comfortable seems like it has helped.

I agree he's a key because we need his scoring but he's been pretty reliable all year since Julius has went down.

ROSTER

sol537
RealGM
And1: 5,594

Post#267 » by sol537 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:32 pm

god shammgod wrote:if i picked teams most likely to win the championship
1 - denver
2 - boston

i might even pick the knicks 4th as i don't really believe in okc with their lack of experience or minny because they are just not that good offensively. so we're good. no doubt. unfortunately we're playing one of the 3 teams in the league that i think are just better. it sucks to get this matchup in round 1.

the betting odds on fanduel has us as the 11th most likely team to win it all. jesus. and you guys think i'm negative lol

I think it's: 1- Denver, 2- Boston, 3- Dallas, 4- NYK.... that's pretty much it. Maybe Clippers get carried by Kawhi but it's doubtful he could stay 100% healthy for four rounds of grueling playoff basketball.
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,878

Post#268 » by Chanel Bomber » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:33 pm

drekwins wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:

We need to put Embiid in the PnR every single time down the floor. He already struggles defending it when healthy. When injured, he has zero chance. As long as everyone is in their spots, and playing smart/under control, we are going to get every shot we want. I expect us to have a few epic runs this series.

I think they will manage to guard the 5 pick-and-roll because neither one of our centers can shoot from distance. I don't think Philly will switch that. Could be completely wrong, but I expect to see more guard-guard or guard-wing pick-and-rolls to get favorable ISO matchups. I guess we'll see.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#269 » by mpharris36 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:35 pm

1 - denver
2 - boston

to be honest though wouldn't you rather play Embiid earlier than in round 2. He isn't in playoff game shape...the knee is suspect. Why let him play his way into shape and then face him in Round 2. Will you feel better if we win one round vs not.

If we **** the bed and get outcoached and lose this first round series I will be disappointed because I think we should win this series. Especially since I think we have the best player right now (with Embiid compromised) and we also have HCA.

In theory I would rather play Philly now and then get Indy in round 2. Then the other way around. I honestly think Indy might be the tougher series (with Embiid less than 100%) with there shooting and ability to spread the floor.

I'm here to make it into the conference finals...so matchup wise it doesn't really matter to me who we have in the first round since we are avoiding BOS until the conference finals.

ROSTER

god shammgod
RealGM

Post#270 » by god shammgod » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:37 pm

sol537 wrote:
1 - denver
2 - boston

I think it's: 1- Denver, 2- Boston, 3- Dallas, 4- NYK.... that's pretty much it. Maybe Clippers get carried by Kawhi but it's doubtful he could stay 100% healthy for four rounds of grueling playoff basketball.

dallas and the suns have both come on late. they're wild cards for sure. i think people are overlooking the sixers becaue it's been awhile since they've seen them whole and rolling.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#271 » by mpharris36 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:38 pm

Chanel Bomber wrote:
drekwins wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:

I think they will manage to guard the 5 pick-and-roll because neither one of our centers can shoot from distance. I don't think Philly will switch that. Could be completely wrong, but I expect to see more guard-guard or guard-wing pick-and-rolls to get favorable ISO matchups. I guess we'll see.

I agree, I think they will play more of a box and 1 or zone like NDOS says and just have Embiid in the bottom of that coverage. But that does mean that Brunson will probably ask for Maxey to get switched on him a lot and he will cook that matchup.

They could also play drop coverage but Brunson cooks that coverage as well.

My guess that play some sort of a box and 1/zone and then trap Brunson. But that will leave ihart/hart rolling to the basket in the middle area which means Embiid will be ask to either contest that shot or close out to a corner 3 pt shooter in DD or OG. That should be our plan of attack.

ROSTER

god shammgod
RealGM

Post#272 » by god shammgod » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:41 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
1 - denver
2 - boston

to be honest though wouldn't you rather play Embiid earlier than in round 2. He isn't in playoff game shape...the knee is suspect. Why let him play his way into shape and then face him in Round 2.
Will you feel better if we win one round vs not.

If we **** the bed and get outcoached and lose this first round series I will be disappointed because I think we should win this series. Especially since I think we have the best player right now (with Embiid compromised) and we also have HCA.

In theory I would rather play Philly now and then get Indy in round 2. Then the other way around. I honestly think Indy might be the tougher series (with Embiid less than 100%) with there shooting and ability to spread the floor.

I'm here to make it into the conference finals...so matchup wise it doesn't really matter to me who we have in the first round since we are avoiding BOS until the conference finals.

i really don't know. is he gonna get healthy as time goes on or is his knee gonna start acting up and he'll get worn down as time goes on.

i don't really worry about any other team in the conference besides boston and the sixers (unless the heat get jimmy back healthy at some point but i expect the bulls to win tonight) i would consider it a bad loss if this team couldn't beat indy in a best of 7. so no, they don't worry me more.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,191

Post#273 » by moocow007 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:44 pm

As good as Maxey has looked, let's be honest, there's one guy on the Sixers that the Knicks will need to be able to control and that's their MVP. He, like Brunson, is the difference between a team that could theoretically make the ECF to a potential lottery caliber team. The good thing (for Knick fans) is that he probably still isn't in ideal condition. So it's very important that the Knicks get off to a quick start and win some games. It's also very important for Mitch to be focused and he himself remain healthy. He has the ability to keep Embiid for basically doing whatever he wants. I'm sure Thibs defensive gameplan will be centered around Embiid. Knicks also need to focus on controlling the glass which is something that they do really really well. Do that and I think they'll be fine. Still they really, really, really could have used a 2nd top tier shot creator.
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,648

Post#274 » by Jalen Bluntson » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:49 pm

Bunch of scaredy cats around here. Scared of Miami. Scared of Philly. Scared of Boston. They are all scared of us. No matter what they say. Let's get it on!! I cannot wait for this game!
:beer: RIP mags
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 93,397

Post#275 » by Capn'O » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:50 pm

The question is really how "back" is Embiid. I'm wishing Mitch and iHart were one player with both of their best attributes right now. We need Mitch's size a lot in this series.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#276 » by mpharris36 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:56 pm

god shammgod wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
1 - denver
2 - boston

to be honest though wouldn't you rather play Embiid earlier than in round 2. He isn't in playoff game shape...the knee is suspect. Why let him play his way into shape and then face him in Round 2.

i really don't know. is he gonna get healthy as time goes on or is his knee gonna start acting up and he'll get worn down as time goes on.

i don't really worry about any other team in the conference besides boston and the sixers (unless the heat get jimmy back healthy at some point but i expect the bulls to win tonight) i would consider it a bad loss if this team couldn't beat indy in a best of 7. so no, they don't worry me more.

I mean you said you think it was more conditioning that the knee so wouldn't that suggest you want him before he gets a bunch of playoff games into him?

Most people say post surgery you don't get worse unless you re-injure it. So he could play himself into a better rhythm as the series and playoffs go so I don't mind trying to knock them out earlier.

Also don't mind Indy who has had MIL # with no Giannis to take them out so we get them in Round 2.

By no means with Phili be an easy series. I am confident in our team that we still should be able to win against them. I expect us to have a huge advantage on the boards...kind of like how we did vs CLE. We have two active bigs...and I expect a big series from Josh Hart.

ROSTER

drekwins
Head Coach
And1: 4,597

Post#277 » by drekwins » Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:01 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:
drekwins wrote:

I agree, I think they will play more of a box and 1 or zone like NDOS says and just have Embiid in the bottom of that coverage. But that does mean that Brunson will probably ask for Maxey to get switched on him a lot and he will cook that matchup.

They could also play drop coverage but Brunson cooks that coverage as well.

My guess that play some sort of a box and 1/zone and then trap Brunson. But that will leave ihart/hart rolling to the basket in the middle area which means Embiid will be ask to either contest that shot or close out to a corner 3 pt shooter in DD or OG. That should be our plan of attack.

That's exactly it. As long as a strong pick is set, Brunson will, at a minimum, have the guy on his hip... and no defender is safe once they are on his hip. If they hedge, we need the big to roll HARD, pull the help defense to the middle of the paint and then Divo and OG will have wide open looks. On the offensive end, we need Hart ready to grab the ball and drive HARD (to get the defense to have to keep rotating) or move it quick.

If everyone plays intentional, decisive basketball, we will be looking very good.
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,878

Post#278 » by Chanel Bomber » Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:04 pm

god shammgod wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
1 - denver
2 - boston

Embiid's health seems to deteriorate the further Philly goes in the playoffs. He's usually cooked by the end of round two. Could be coincidental, could be causal. Either way I don't think facing him in the first round is some sort of advantage. In fact I reckon it's probably the worst scenario.

I think we'd have beat the Pacers in 5. They're weak.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 38,280

Post#280 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:07 pm

Chanel Bomber wrote:
Iron Mantis wrote:
SelbyCobra wrote:
For me, one of the hardest, grimiest, most concise NY beats ever. This is all black hoodies on the way to something we're trying not to be seen right after at type music.

Always loved that beat. Dark, gritty, NYC energy.

Same for the "No Fear" beat by OGC.

Havoc also consistently crafted some of the grimiest beats to come out of NYC.

How about this one

If Mason and Oakley were a beat

Goddamn yall are taking me back with these tracks

BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe

Return to New York Knicks