ImageImageImageImageImage

[6/25] The latest from Charley Rosen (Phil Jackson's mouthpiece)

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85

battabing10
Rookie
And1: 357

Re: [6/25] The latest from Charley Rosen (Phil Jackson's mouthpiece) 

Post#281 » by battabing10 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:43 pm

xxrainnn wrote:I don't think the Wolves trade Rubio anymore. At this point it would be foolish. Who else is going to come in and run that offense and provide defense in the backcourt? Especially with a reasonable contract. Plus they can use Jimmy to handle some of the ball handling duties as well. Rubio has value, people who are clamoring to get him for nothing AND potentially get a draft pick back are fooling themselves. Pure PG that provides solid defense don't grow on trees.

At this point the Wolves will probably bring in a spark plug scoring PG off the bench who can reliably hit a 3 point shot. That's what that team needs.

getting rid of either wiggins or lavine for butler is HUGE for that team. they gonna keep rubio and have a helluva backcourt defensively. they'd be crazy to trade rubio now.
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Post#282 » by br7knicks » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:23 pm

unless they plan to tank next season too (which isn't a bad idea if the draft class is good), rose's name is coming up WAY too much. do we not remember when he went MIA for a while? dude should not seriously be considered coming back in a knicks uniform.
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,008

Post#283 » by Nazrmohamed » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:20 pm

Savageknick2190 wrote:
Nazrmohamed wrote:
Savageknick2190 wrote:People have to stop comparing Frank to KP. KP was much more polished as a player when he was drafted in his moves than Frank is now and it was said KP may need 2 years. Now it didnt take that long for him but Frank is not at the same skill level in their develiopment at that same draft age. If you put him out there now and play him high minutes he will turn over ball at a great rate. It will kill his confidence and could hurt his future output. Getting this type of player you must take it slow with him or you could lose him early. Remember its not just learning the nba but the usa as well. Just because KP did it well doesnt mean every kid will do it as well or in the same way.

I wouldn't say that. I think you see a jumpshot and assume that means development. To me KP is not far along at all, which is very promising actually. Most things is about shooting, which is a skill for sure but its more of an assisted platform. I thibk KP has a ways to go in terms of creating offense, post moves or in isolation. And then the raw strength aspect as well.

I think Frank has a lower curling ceiling and may surprise alot of people with his ability to contribute right away. I don't get this bring him along slowly mentality. We're gonna lose alot of games folks. Lets get over it. These guys need to build chemistry early on. But he's 6'5 with a good weight. That's not skills but physicality makes a huge difference and remember hesFrench. When have we known a French player to come over and not be physicality ready to play. They may be in different skill tiers but you never know one to be soft. I don't expect Frank to be either. He shoots just as well. His development curve is more about pure pg skills but
- we run the triangle and Ron Baker was successful at it last year.
- I happen to think he can play SG. At 6'5 what if I told you he was a prolific, playmaking SG more than a flawed pg

When was a French player drafted and wasnt physically ready to play? The answer would be Frederic Weis drafted by the Knicks. Very soft so much so he could never make it on to a NBA court after being drafted. Ron Baker was solid I would not call anything he did successful. How do you know Frank can shoot as well as KP? KP gave private workouts to teams here in the us to show how well he could shoot. Frank shot 40 percent on threes on a team where he barely got to shoot. When he did shoot the three point distance is not our own nba three point distance. All this to say its only natural for it to take some time. The assumptions you are making will only lead to your disappointment when he is unable to meet those high demands so early in his development.

Well you definitley got me on Fred Weiss. That hurt me so much that I had doubts about any euro since. I even had doubts kp would show up. Thanks bro for bringing up buried feelings, I thought I was cured lol.

But back to Frank, if there's one thing Ive never done in my life is get up or down on any draft prospect. And it goes both ways, I avoid the hype as they develop and when this same people are then tearing the player apart in thier sophmore year....WHICH KNICK FANS ALWAYS DO....I tend to see the big picture. If you can't make it past a players rookie contract then you me you can't develop players, simple as that.

But in Franks case Id like to see him start. For me is also about solidifying the youth movement. It sends a message. I love Carmelo but want him gone. I don't live the way Phil does things necessarily but it's out there. The Knicks wanna go in a different direction and to sit lottery picked rookies and play vets in thier absence just gives Melo hope. Id hate to see Melo benched but Id do it if I have to as well. Now what I COULD endorse is Frank playing off the ball next to a pure pg. He played off the ball alot in France, we could do that here. And here and there give him pg duties and watch him develop that way. He's a combo guard in the triangle, which means being pure is not really all that critical
nyc1695
Pro Prospect
And1: 113

Post#284 » by nyc1695 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:27 pm

IllmaticHandler wrote:Im willing to bet Phil Jackson Slow footed the deal and then Minn got cold feet. You seriously can't make this up lol. Ok Phil. You got KP and Frank. Now GTFOH!

but you literally just made that up...
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,008

Post#285 » by Nazrmohamed » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:05 am

nyc1695 wrote:
IllmaticHandler wrote:Im willing to bet Phil Jackson Slow footed the deal and then Minn got cold feet. You seriously can't make this up lol. Ok Phil. You got KP and Frank. Now GTFOH!

Lmfao
IllmaticHandler
RealGM
And1: 23,325

Post#286 » by IllmaticHandler » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:17 am

nyc1695 wrote:

Yeah I made up that someone was begging Phil to take Rubio but at the 11th hour they pulled the offer back. That would suggest that Phil was taking to long to decide on what to do and gave Minn to much time to think. By all accounts Phil Jackson says yes early in the talks,The Deal is DONE. All the reports from last year was that Minn and the Knicks were in talks for Rubio for Rose for a couple days basically. So yeah I made this up.
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#287 » by Thugger HBC » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:29 am

Whatever happened with the Rubio deal, I'm glad it didn't go through.
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
BeagleBoss
General Manager
And1: 4,331

Post#288 » by BeagleBoss » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:33 am

A guy like Rubio hurts the tank and isn't good enough to get you to the playoffs. Just let Rose walk, sign a cheap veteran PG and let Ntilikina, Baker and Randle battle it out for minutes.
Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Post#289 » by Greenie » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:21 pm

I've never heard of a rookie lotto pick being 3rd string on a bad team.

Those mofo's start or are AT LEAST the first off the bench.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#290 » by Dr. Detfink » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:26 pm

Thugger HBC wrote:Whatever happened with the Rubio deal, I'm glad it didn't go through.

Thank you.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#291 » by Dr. Detfink » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:34 pm

2yrs/$20M is actually cheaper than Rubio's remaining coin. Depends whether or not you believe Derrick Rose is a little more comfortable with his new teammates and committed to playing the triangle.

I gotta be fair. Rose had that nasty court case which caused him to miss preseason. Major distraction. Has has personal family issues.

At the same time, Derrick is a good teammate. He never threw anyone under the bus. Lipped off to Phil. He's also the guy who points to himself on turnovers and not playing D. I dunno if his body allows him to play like he used to.

He gets hurt, so be it. Ron and Frank fill in.
Amsterdam
Analyst
And1: 1,622

Post#292 » by Amsterdam » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:40 pm

Actually Rose's penetration moves are still elite. If Ntilikina's game can progress in this fashion so what, he's 18 yrs old.

Another draft another possible lottery pick, another young piece.
Why are the same tank commanders the first dumb asses to complain?
sol537
RealGM
And1: 5,497

Post#293 » by sol537 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:47 pm

I wonder if Minny would accept Rose on a 2-year deal (2nd year Team Option) at around $11m per, S&T for Rubio. They save money, get a guy who Thibs knows and respects, and go in a new direction... would be interesting...
Amsterdam
Analyst

Post#294 » by Amsterdam » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:51 pm

sol537 wrote:I wonder if Minny would accept Rose on a 2-year deal (2nd year Team Option) at around $11m per, S&T for Rubio. They save money, get a guy who Thibs knows and respects, and go in a new direction... would be interesting...

No one is going to move on Rose until they scout and he's exhibiting good strength on those knees.

However, if healthy and at $12m per, he can be a great piece at the trade deadline. Phil has to consider having cost effective pieces to move around that time.
Fury
RealGM
And1: 15,350

Post#295 » by Fury » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:54 pm

"I'm gettin tired of biting my tongue. JUST SICK AND TIYYYURRRD. RICKY RUBIO? THE REEEEEKEEEEEY ROOOBIO? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? HOW MANY PLAYOFF GAMES HAS HE PLAYED? HOW MANY ALL-STAR GAMES HAS HE MADE? HELL, HOW MANY JUMPSHOTS HAS HE DRAINED?! THIS TEAM DOES NOT NEED ANYMORE EUROS. The GALL and TEMERITY TO SUGGEST WE NEED ANOTHER UROPEEIN PLAYER IN THE MECCA. Folks, I just can't. I CAN'T! I NEED TO TAKE A BREAK. WE GOT BILLS TO PAY."
Adelheid
RealGM
And1: 6,985

Post#296 » by Adelheid » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:56 pm

Amsterdam wrote:Actually Rose's penetration moves are still elite. If Ntilikina's game can progress in this fashion so what, he's 18 yrs old.

Bad influence to players in general; hardly ever talks according to KP himself. If we are to be bad, be bad while taking rookie lumps.
Veteran influence is useless and counterproductive if it is not of the good kind.
Amsterdam
Analyst

Post#297 » by Amsterdam » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:59 pm

Adelheid wrote:
Amsterdam wrote:Actually Rose's penetration moves are still elite. If Ntilikina's game can progress in this fashion so what, he's 18 yrs old.

Bad influence to players in general; hardly ever talks according to KP himself. If we are to be bad, be bad while taking rookie lumps.
Veteran influence is useless and counterproductive if it is not of the good kind.

Whatever KP says, at this point is taken with a grain of salt. He's the not a viable mouthpiece, until he proves otherwise, which I hope comes to fruition.
shtolky
Head Coach
And1: 4,704

Post#298 » by shtolky » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:04 pm

Greenie wrote:I've never heard of a rookie lotto pick being 3rd string on a bad team.

Yea I don't think there is any way Frank is that low on the depth chart. I wouldn't take what Phil/Rosen say about Frank's contribution too literally. When KP was drafted there were Phil quotes and Rosen articles about how we were hoping to get him "as much as 20 minutes" a game and then a bit more later in the season. In November of his rookie year, KP averaged near 30 minutes per game. I think they are just keeping expectations in check. If Frank plays well in SL and training camp, they won't be able to hold him back and why the heck would they.
NYKnicksTAPE
RealGM
And1: 13,426

Post#299 » by NYKnicksTAPE » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:47 pm

Phil better not bring Rose back...

I'd rather he try and sign Patty Mills if he can get him for around 12-14 mil/yr. He's a smart player with championship experience who I think would be a good mentor for Frank and would help Porzingis a lot more than Rose would out on the court. Players like Mills are who I want around our young guys, not dudes like Rose who say the dumbest sh*t all the time and go AWOL before games.
Knicks93
Senior
And1: 295

Post#300 » by Knicks93 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:09 pm

Greenie wrote:I've never heard of a rookie lotto pick being 3rd string on a bad team.

Never? Just last year Dragan Bender and Kris Dunn. Come on, some guys take time to develop. I'd bet Frank is the back up point guard next year, will beat out Ron Baker

Return to New York Knicks